
Jett0516
Apr 26, 04:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)
And how many android devices are free or buy one, get one free? It's amazing how fast you can gain market usage when you give your stuff away...
At&t is selling the 3gs for $49.
And how many android devices are free or buy one, get one free? It's amazing how fast you can gain market usage when you give your stuff away...
At&t is selling the 3gs for $49.
WildCowboy
Aug 3, 10:30 PM
Not a whole lot of new info, but any indication that the move to Merom will be a rapid one is certainly welcomed...
marvel2
Jan 20, 01:19 PM
Let me know how loud the volume is during a call conversation. If it is significantly louder than the TomTom, I may jump ship and get the Megellan unit.
My car has no sound dampening material :(
My car has no sound dampening material :(

Chuck
Jul 23, 05:21 AM
I posted this question in another thread but no one has answered it, so... I was wondering what thoughts you had on this:
Will this upgrade to Core 2 Duo be considered a RevB strictly speaking, for the iMacs? I mean, since it's a new generation of Intel chip as opposed to a speed bump of an existing chip, is it likely to cause any unknown bugs or dramas that the Core Duos didn't?
I'm in the market for a new iMac when they put the new chips in, but I want to be confident that this time they'll have ironed out all the bugs from the initial release of Intel iMacs, plus not be likely to have new bugs caused by the new architecture of the Core 2 Duos.
Thoughts?
Chuck.
Will this upgrade to Core 2 Duo be considered a RevB strictly speaking, for the iMacs? I mean, since it's a new generation of Intel chip as opposed to a speed bump of an existing chip, is it likely to cause any unknown bugs or dramas that the Core Duos didn't?
I'm in the market for a new iMac when they put the new chips in, but I want to be confident that this time they'll have ironed out all the bugs from the initial release of Intel iMacs, plus not be likely to have new bugs caused by the new architecture of the Core 2 Duos.
Thoughts?
Chuck.
FireArse
Nov 26, 12:30 PM
Rather than a traditional laptop/tablet idea, I'm envisioning a small device that truly combines
1. music/vid player
2. cell phone
3. camera
4. osx capable computer
Not sure there's a place for a cell phone, but I agree with the rest of your comments! This thing would be so sweet! I can't wait. Bet there'd be a $100 premium for a black version!
F
1. music/vid player
2. cell phone
3. camera
4. osx capable computer
Not sure there's a place for a cell phone, but I agree with the rest of your comments! This thing would be so sweet! I can't wait. Bet there'd be a $100 premium for a black version!
F
al2o3cr
Mar 29, 09:46 AM
What I'm more curious about is: will Amazon offer the Import/Export service:
http://aws.amazon.com/importexport/
for these accounts? I suspect an awful lot of us stuck behind cable modems with craptastical upload speeds would appreciate that...
http://aws.amazon.com/importexport/
for these accounts? I suspect an awful lot of us stuck behind cable modems with craptastical upload speeds would appreciate that...
Eidorian
May 6, 12:12 AM
Oh Charlie, you so silly.
CalBoy
May 5, 07:22 PM
Actually, the more I think about it... the more I've come 'round to your thinking. Living in a country that has (mostly) gone metric, the more children in the US that are taught a system that no-one else in the world uses makes a lot of economic sense - for us. So please, keep on giving your children hurdles to overcome should they wish to compete in the rest of the world. It's good for the rest of us. ;)
It isn't the metric system (or lack thereof) that's holding our children back; it's a lack of emphasis on science and math on the part of schools, parents, and society as a whole.
We learn the metric system in school concurrently with imperial units, and at the end of the day no one is unable to grasp the idea of multiplying by 10. What American kids can't tell you is how to find the focus of a parabola or why that would be important when designing headlights. That's where the problem is.
There is no hurdle. American students in Science and Engineering programs are able to do both without problems. Maybe being able to handle multiple systems give us a competitive edge....
There is already decent evidence to show that bilingual children perform better in school and in life (the idea being that more neural connections help intelligence), so I don't see why learning a second system of measures would be all that catastrophic.
It isn't the metric system (or lack thereof) that's holding our children back; it's a lack of emphasis on science and math on the part of schools, parents, and society as a whole.
We learn the metric system in school concurrently with imperial units, and at the end of the day no one is unable to grasp the idea of multiplying by 10. What American kids can't tell you is how to find the focus of a parabola or why that would be important when designing headlights. That's where the problem is.
There is no hurdle. American students in Science and Engineering programs are able to do both without problems. Maybe being able to handle multiple systems give us a competitive edge....
There is already decent evidence to show that bilingual children perform better in school and in life (the idea being that more neural connections help intelligence), so I don't see why learning a second system of measures would be all that catastrophic.
dukebound85
May 2, 07:56 PM
According to this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_States#20th_century), the metric system was supposed to be almost fully implemented in the US by 2000, but because of a lack of enough public and government support through the 70s-90s the program essentially got shut down.
As an engineering student, I hope we will switch soon. The metric system makes so much more sense and is far easier to learn. Even for more common measurements (How many teaspoons/tablespoons in a cup again? Yards in a mile?), SI is a far superior system.
I think the biggest obstacle right now is the older generations who have grown up with imperial units and don't want to learn a new system. It should at least be taught equally in schools so a future switch won't cause as much resistance.
SI is superior in conversions only
Imperial is superior as I actually have a feel for the numbers
As an engineering student, I hope we will switch soon. The metric system makes so much more sense and is far easier to learn. Even for more common measurements (How many teaspoons/tablespoons in a cup again? Yards in a mile?), SI is a far superior system.
I think the biggest obstacle right now is the older generations who have grown up with imperial units and don't want to learn a new system. It should at least be taught equally in schools so a future switch won't cause as much resistance.
SI is superior in conversions only
Imperial is superior as I actually have a feel for the numbers
roocka
Apr 7, 03:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
I wonder if apple said, we have $60 billion dollars. We will buy every tablet you can make for the next 3 years. If you build new factories or production lines, we'll take those too, including those of your affIliate companies..
I wonder if apple said, we have $60 billion dollars. We will buy every tablet you can make for the next 3 years. If you build new factories or production lines, we'll take those too, including those of your affIliate companies..
iMeowbot
Nov 23, 12:54 PM
o.O Mactracker has no information on this. Do you have links? I would be very interested in seeing a pict of it.
The product was called PowerCD (http://guides.macrumors.com/PowerCD).
The product was called PowerCD (http://guides.macrumors.com/PowerCD).
ciTiger
Apr 18, 03:00 PM
Glad to know I wasn't the one seeing all the similarities.
I'm still unsure if this is good or bad given Apples dominance...
I'm still unsure if this is good or bad given Apples dominance...
iJohnHenry
Apr 10, 06:15 PM
Multiplication is always what you do, when there is a term directly adjacent to the ().
"Oh, I did not know that!!" - Johnny Carson, The Tonight Show
I get 61,835, but I'm beginning to think someone has mucked around with the keys on my calculator.
Finally, humour.
Check your IMOS battery. I think it's failing. :p
"Oh, I did not know that!!" - Johnny Carson, The Tonight Show
I get 61,835, but I'm beginning to think someone has mucked around with the keys on my calculator.
Finally, humour.
Check your IMOS battery. I think it's failing. :p
lilo777
Apr 18, 04:11 PM
Perhaps you need to actually look at an iPhone 3GS and a Galaxy Tab sometime.
http://www.coated.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-back.jpg
http://phonerpt.com/wp-content/uploads/iphone-3g-white-live-picture.jpg
Also consider these designs:
http://common1.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/90/0,1425,i=90858,00.jpg
http://www.promo-wholesale.com/Upfiles/Prod_m/Travel-Soap-Dish-W--Frosty-Top_20090828015.jpg
http://www.coated.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-back.jpg
http://phonerpt.com/wp-content/uploads/iphone-3g-white-live-picture.jpg
Also consider these designs:
http://common1.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/90/0,1425,i=90858,00.jpg
http://www.promo-wholesale.com/Upfiles/Prod_m/Travel-Soap-Dish-W--Frosty-Top_20090828015.jpg
mdntcallr
Jul 23, 02:33 PM
I'll get a MBP once Apple or someone else figures out how to make them work on an air flight. There is no Empower solution and the draw of 85w exceeds the juice (75w) that the seatside powerports provide. It's amazing this is even an issue in a "pro" line of portables - let alone from Apple. No 3rd party solutions solve this isssue.
This is a big issue for me also. I can't believe they havent released a air/auto power adapter yet for the magsafe power design.
APPLE WAKE UP!!! i want to upgrade from my powerbook, but need this!
This is a big issue for me also. I can't believe they havent released a air/auto power adapter yet for the magsafe power design.
APPLE WAKE UP!!! i want to upgrade from my powerbook, but need this!
rtharper
Sep 10, 11:08 PM
If they don't happen by then, that's when I will beging looking at yonah MBP's.
I won't buy a Yonah MBP. I would rather have a more future proof computer of a different brand. I use *nix for almost all of my work, I'll just try and buy an open source friendly machine and put windows on a partition just to run WoW and have the other run FreeBSD.
That, of course, is not my first choice, but I won't wait past the shipping dates of other manufacturers (i.e. the 26th is my limit, too).
I won't buy a Yonah MBP. I would rather have a more future proof computer of a different brand. I use *nix for almost all of my work, I'll just try and buy an open source friendly machine and put windows on a partition just to run WoW and have the other run FreeBSD.
That, of course, is not my first choice, but I won't wait past the shipping dates of other manufacturers (i.e. the 26th is my limit, too).
-Ken-
Apr 7, 10:02 AM
I wonder if this affects HP's Touchpad. HP has deep pockets as well though.
aptar
Sep 16, 07:39 PM
What was the estimated ship date when you ordered?
As of now, 17'' have an extimated ship time of 7-10 business days.
My estimated ship date was Sep 20, which is why I was caught off guard when it shipped today.
Mine wasn't a 17, it was the middle line 15".
As of now, 17'' have an extimated ship time of 7-10 business days.
My estimated ship date was Sep 20, which is why I was caught off guard when it shipped today.
Mine wasn't a 17, it was the middle line 15".
GregA
Nov 27, 03:24 AM
There was a patent a few months ago for touch pads surrounding a screen. That could allow some touch applications without the expense of the touch screen (but maybe I'm behind the times... and touch screens can be done cheaply and well?). Would you need a "scroll wheel" if you had a slide down one side for scrolling?
Another patent was for keys that could have their display change depending on their purpose. A full screen ipod with unobtrusive buttons around the edge that change display to show available options would be interesting. Then again... if you can't input information it's going to limit it's appeal for many people!!
I personally think the key to a usable tablet will be simplicity and being quite inexpensive. My parents wanted to buy a $500 programmable remote but I think they're an exception rather than the norm!
Another patent was for keys that could have their display change depending on their purpose. A full screen ipod with unobtrusive buttons around the edge that change display to show available options would be interesting. Then again... if you can't input information it's going to limit it's appeal for many people!!
I personally think the key to a usable tablet will be simplicity and being quite inexpensive. My parents wanted to buy a $500 programmable remote but I think they're an exception rather than the norm!
ticman
Dec 3, 04:03 PM
Jape,
sent an email this afternoon and received the following:
(tried to cut and paste but it didn't work).
In a nutshell the ETA from manufacturer is past due (gee we already figured that out) and they have requested info from mfger and will send when they get it. long story short nothing yet so just wait and will let u know.
damn
sent an email this afternoon and received the following:
(tried to cut and paste but it didn't work).
In a nutshell the ETA from manufacturer is past due (gee we already figured that out) and they have requested info from mfger and will send when they get it. long story short nothing yet so just wait and will let u know.
damn
idunn
Mar 29, 05:56 PM
;) Look at a map and you'll see that Iwaki is near the east coast of Japan, but a short distance south of the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant. The town of Fukushima is well inland, actually northwest of the nuclear plant on the coast. Unless radiation levels decline the town of Fukushima will be uninhabitable, with current radiation levels well beyond that safe in a year. Iwaki is far closer to this plant, and whether their infrastructure damaged or not, almost certainly in a no-go zone for many decades to come.
Recent reports have a full meltdown in reactor #2 at the Fukushima plant, with melted fuel rods having likely melted through the stainless steel containment dome, and pouring as lava onto the concrete floor below. Bad news, in other words.
Kureha surely is scrambling for alternative manufacturing facilities. But that likely will take some time. Bottom Line: look for shortages in lithium-ion batteries in the short term.
Recent reports have a full meltdown in reactor #2 at the Fukushima plant, with melted fuel rods having likely melted through the stainless steel containment dome, and pouring as lava onto the concrete floor below. Bad news, in other words.
Kureha surely is scrambling for alternative manufacturing facilities. But that likely will take some time. Bottom Line: look for shortages in lithium-ion batteries in the short term.
bleachthru
Aug 7, 05:56 PM
I find it funny that the online apple store has the Quadcore G5 still listed at $3299. $800 dollars more than the default MacPro which has 1GB ram as opposed to the meger 512MB in the G5, Quad 2.66 vs Quad 2.5, a GeForce 7300 vs the Geforce 6600, not to mention the many other bad ass features like 4 HD bays etc. Is it just me, or should the G5 price come down a bit, at least lower than the new MacPro...But then what do I know, I am still running a 500Mhz G3 as my primary machine, by the time all my student loans are paid perhaps the Quad Quad core will be out : )
tstreete
Nov 5, 08:57 PM
It'll be a month or so before I get to visit a big city, but over at gpspassion.com some people are doing some fairly sophisticated testing of the mount so you can see exactly how well it works.
I mounted on the dash, just left of center, so that it would be in easy reach. My windshield is steeply sloped, so I'd either have to stick it to the windshield right up at the top with wires dangling down from there, or it would be out of reach. The mount comes with a disk, with sticky foam on one side that can stick to a slightly curved dash, and hard shiny plastic on the other that the mount's suction cup can stick to. (There are inexpensive third party mounts of various sorts that can work with tomtom mounts, which would give you more options.)
The mount has a standard stereo mini-plug outlet, just like the earphone jack on a standard mp3 player, so if your car has an "aux" jack, you can use a cable, or if it has a tape player you can plug in one of those tape-player-to-cable adapters.
Not sure about the various bluetooth possibilities, but when you first establish the bluetooth connection in the iphone's preferences, it gives you a choice of which devices to select, so it might be the case that you could use a bluetooth headset or hands-free set while also using the mount.
Thanks to Tstreete and Jade for sharing information about the TomTom car kit and "other" places that it can be purchased at a discount. Also thanks for researching other vendors. Also, whoever posted info on the Arkon Friction Mount--also thanks as that may be a good option to avoid window mounting.
I am waiting for Tstreete to do his "acid" test and hopefully report back.
Couple of questions:
Assume you mounted on windshield. How was "view" while driving. Could you see the iphone and maps easily? Might a dashboard mount be better as it would be closer?
Also, how do you connect the mount to your radio system? Sorry if stupid question but haven't seen anything on it other than you need audio cable. Is it hardwired or a plugin somewhere near the radio. From reading the above posts it appears that spoken directions come thru radio speakers as would music BUT phone calls come through iphone/tomtom speakers. Correct?
If I have bluetooth via the steering wheel can that be incorporated with the car kit? not sure i would want to as it was a pain to use when i had it set up in the first place. I also had a BlueAnt bluetooth that I used with my BB Storm but it will not sync my contact list while using the iphone. Might I be able to use this feature? again might just be easier to use iphone voice dialing.
Thanks all for helpful information. I too agree that we each make our own decision on whether or not to by the tomtom dock. It depends on what we are trying to accomplish. Bashing the price point is really counterproductive as we each have the option to buy it or not. oops didn't mean to get on a soapbox here.
Thanks again,
Mike
I mounted on the dash, just left of center, so that it would be in easy reach. My windshield is steeply sloped, so I'd either have to stick it to the windshield right up at the top with wires dangling down from there, or it would be out of reach. The mount comes with a disk, with sticky foam on one side that can stick to a slightly curved dash, and hard shiny plastic on the other that the mount's suction cup can stick to. (There are inexpensive third party mounts of various sorts that can work with tomtom mounts, which would give you more options.)
The mount has a standard stereo mini-plug outlet, just like the earphone jack on a standard mp3 player, so if your car has an "aux" jack, you can use a cable, or if it has a tape player you can plug in one of those tape-player-to-cable adapters.
Not sure about the various bluetooth possibilities, but when you first establish the bluetooth connection in the iphone's preferences, it gives you a choice of which devices to select, so it might be the case that you could use a bluetooth headset or hands-free set while also using the mount.
Thanks to Tstreete and Jade for sharing information about the TomTom car kit and "other" places that it can be purchased at a discount. Also thanks for researching other vendors. Also, whoever posted info on the Arkon Friction Mount--also thanks as that may be a good option to avoid window mounting.
I am waiting for Tstreete to do his "acid" test and hopefully report back.
Couple of questions:
Assume you mounted on windshield. How was "view" while driving. Could you see the iphone and maps easily? Might a dashboard mount be better as it would be closer?
Also, how do you connect the mount to your radio system? Sorry if stupid question but haven't seen anything on it other than you need audio cable. Is it hardwired or a plugin somewhere near the radio. From reading the above posts it appears that spoken directions come thru radio speakers as would music BUT phone calls come through iphone/tomtom speakers. Correct?
If I have bluetooth via the steering wheel can that be incorporated with the car kit? not sure i would want to as it was a pain to use when i had it set up in the first place. I also had a BlueAnt bluetooth that I used with my BB Storm but it will not sync my contact list while using the iphone. Might I be able to use this feature? again might just be easier to use iphone voice dialing.
Thanks all for helpful information. I too agree that we each make our own decision on whether or not to by the tomtom dock. It depends on what we are trying to accomplish. Bashing the price point is really counterproductive as we each have the option to buy it or not. oops didn't mean to get on a soapbox here.
Thanks again,
Mike
Freis968
May 7, 06:33 PM
hmmm ............. iWork.com is free.
maybe some combined functionality setup soon?
As far as I recall it is only temporarily free, it is in beta stage if I am correct. There is supposed to be a charge for it eventually.
EDIT: Yep, as you see on the splash page it is still Beta.
maybe some combined functionality setup soon?
As far as I recall it is only temporarily free, it is in beta stage if I am correct. There is supposed to be a charge for it eventually.
EDIT: Yep, as you see on the splash page it is still Beta.
No comments:
Post a Comment