k995
Mar 23, 04:07 AM
I am not sure you are using "UI" correctly.
I get the notification thing, but I keep seeing some people talking about the look of the interface of IOS being dated and I don't get it. It seems like a very young and inexperienced viewpoint. Wanting change solely for the sake of change. The UI for IOS works very well. I don't want it changed just because some people are bored of looking at it. This is something you realize as you get older and more experienced in life. Change just for the sake of change is not a great deal, most of the time.
Perhaps you just dont have any experience with other UI's? That people jailbreak to specificly change certain parts of it shows there is something lacking.
I upgraded my ipad to 4.3 and already am annoyed I lost a lot of ease in the UI because there isnt a unthered jailbreak avaible.
Change for the sake of improved usability and function? I am all for it. Change of the UI just because they have used the same basic look for the UI for 5 years? No not really.
Better notifications, different user profiles, better accesibility on settings, better multitasking, better start screen , more interactivity on the home screen,...
Here I don't think you understand how "multitasking" works on IOS devices.
It is not really possible to do a "lot" of multi-tasking. There are only a certain number of APIs that can be used concurrently. Having a bunch of apps listed in the fast task switcher is not multi-tasking and it does not require more ram.
You dont seem to understand what he is saying.
multitasking is being able to run different programs at the same time. The ipad 1 isnt really capable of this as it laks ram to hold those programs in memeory.
Apple solution is a cripled form of multitasking. Certain task can be done in the background and even certain programs are allowed to run completly in the background yet this all has to be coded AND remains hampered by the lack of ram.
Even in the browser you have trouble keeping open tabs as they constantly need to refresh as you switch as it runs out of memory.
The problem is Android becomes the brand and all these hardware makers become a commodity. People who have an android phone look to get a new android phone. They don't look to get an upgrade to their current phone because no upgrade exists, because the hardware makers just come up with new dumb names for products six times a year.
Thats a problem for those companies, not for the consumer. Strange your logic seems to stem from the apple point of view, not the consumer.
If you don't like your battery life, you got a point. Perhaps you can just always have a long extension cord and then you got a real winner!
So you really think an extra 256MB of ram would have destroyed the battery life on the ipad? Strange how it DOESNT do that on the iphone 4 or comparable tablets.
If you got any source to back this up, post it otherwise its a myth like the "multitasking destroys battery life"
At this point and time there are still no real competitors. There is one copycat device out there that is inferior, and a couple more potentially coming out soon... but nothing is guaranteed.
You should perhaps look beyond macrumors, plenty out there and depending on the consumer some better other worse then the ipad 1 and 2 .
I think the market clearly shows the iPhone is the best phone out there. There is no other phone that comes anywhere close to selling as much as the iPhone.
And britney spears sold a lot of almbums at a time, so at that time she was "the best"? BS of course.
The iphone is a very good iphone, but I personaly wouldnt want another to expensive for what it offers.
The iPad is worse, and will pretty much stay that way as all of the competitors are just clones of the iPad, and they don't have the advantage of a protected Verizon environment to move their product. They will have to compete against the iPad 2 for every sale they make.
Wich will be no different then for the iphone, and we both know within 2 years android outsold the iphone.
I get the notification thing, but I keep seeing some people talking about the look of the interface of IOS being dated and I don't get it. It seems like a very young and inexperienced viewpoint. Wanting change solely for the sake of change. The UI for IOS works very well. I don't want it changed just because some people are bored of looking at it. This is something you realize as you get older and more experienced in life. Change just for the sake of change is not a great deal, most of the time.
Perhaps you just dont have any experience with other UI's? That people jailbreak to specificly change certain parts of it shows there is something lacking.
I upgraded my ipad to 4.3 and already am annoyed I lost a lot of ease in the UI because there isnt a unthered jailbreak avaible.
Change for the sake of improved usability and function? I am all for it. Change of the UI just because they have used the same basic look for the UI for 5 years? No not really.
Better notifications, different user profiles, better accesibility on settings, better multitasking, better start screen , more interactivity on the home screen,...
Here I don't think you understand how "multitasking" works on IOS devices.
It is not really possible to do a "lot" of multi-tasking. There are only a certain number of APIs that can be used concurrently. Having a bunch of apps listed in the fast task switcher is not multi-tasking and it does not require more ram.
You dont seem to understand what he is saying.
multitasking is being able to run different programs at the same time. The ipad 1 isnt really capable of this as it laks ram to hold those programs in memeory.
Apple solution is a cripled form of multitasking. Certain task can be done in the background and even certain programs are allowed to run completly in the background yet this all has to be coded AND remains hampered by the lack of ram.
Even in the browser you have trouble keeping open tabs as they constantly need to refresh as you switch as it runs out of memory.
The problem is Android becomes the brand and all these hardware makers become a commodity. People who have an android phone look to get a new android phone. They don't look to get an upgrade to their current phone because no upgrade exists, because the hardware makers just come up with new dumb names for products six times a year.
Thats a problem for those companies, not for the consumer. Strange your logic seems to stem from the apple point of view, not the consumer.
If you don't like your battery life, you got a point. Perhaps you can just always have a long extension cord and then you got a real winner!
So you really think an extra 256MB of ram would have destroyed the battery life on the ipad? Strange how it DOESNT do that on the iphone 4 or comparable tablets.
If you got any source to back this up, post it otherwise its a myth like the "multitasking destroys battery life"
At this point and time there are still no real competitors. There is one copycat device out there that is inferior, and a couple more potentially coming out soon... but nothing is guaranteed.
You should perhaps look beyond macrumors, plenty out there and depending on the consumer some better other worse then the ipad 1 and 2 .
I think the market clearly shows the iPhone is the best phone out there. There is no other phone that comes anywhere close to selling as much as the iPhone.
And britney spears sold a lot of almbums at a time, so at that time she was "the best"? BS of course.
The iphone is a very good iphone, but I personaly wouldnt want another to expensive for what it offers.
The iPad is worse, and will pretty much stay that way as all of the competitors are just clones of the iPad, and they don't have the advantage of a protected Verizon environment to move their product. They will have to compete against the iPad 2 for every sale they make.
Wich will be no different then for the iphone, and we both know within 2 years android outsold the iphone.
walterwhite
Apr 25, 01:54 PM
Lawyers never seem to see or feel the Karma stick for nonsensical and litigious lawsuits that just end up effecting the rest of us... that do our best to be good human beings.
dejunky
Apr 6, 03:41 PM
What is the obsession with back-lit keys?
Do you actually look at the keyboard when you're typing?
Yes.
Do you actually look at the keyboard when you're typing?
Yes.
fivepoint
Apr 27, 03:00 PM
Really guys? We're going to argue it may be a forgery now. :rolleyes:
Can you name ONE person here who suggested its a forgery? Please provide the quote assuming of course you're not simply making crap up for the sake of argument... attempting to label people instead of discussing the actual issues. NAWWW!!!
BTW- just opened the same file- no layers. So you tell me what I'm missing here.
Am I a liar? I have no idea if you're doing it right, or if you are even using Illustrator, or if the PDF was replaced with a single-layer/object one. Just do a Google search for 'obama birth certificate layers' and you'll see that I'm not the only one who downloaded a file with multiple layers or objects or whatever.
Can you name ONE person here who suggested its a forgery? Please provide the quote assuming of course you're not simply making crap up for the sake of argument... attempting to label people instead of discussing the actual issues. NAWWW!!!
BTW- just opened the same file- no layers. So you tell me what I'm missing here.
Am I a liar? I have no idea if you're doing it right, or if you are even using Illustrator, or if the PDF was replaced with a single-layer/object one. Just do a Google search for 'obama birth certificate layers' and you'll see that I'm not the only one who downloaded a file with multiple layers or objects or whatever.
Spoe
Apr 19, 03:43 PM
Apple Q3/09: 7 million devices and 17.1% marketshare
Apple Q3/10: 13.4 million devices (almost doubled!) but 16.7% marketshare.
Nokia Q3/09: 18 million devices and 44% marketshare
Nokia Q3/10: 29 million devices (+ 11 million!) but only 36% marketshare
So Apple sold 6.5 million more units but lost 0.4% marketshare.
Ya, right.
The iPhone is both gaining and losing market share, depending on what you mean by market share.
Do you mean what percentage of devices sold or what percentage of devices in use?
By the first measure, iPhone is slightly losing (by an amount that almost seems like it could be a statistical fluke -- it's basically flat) market share. By the other, it's still gaining market share (again by a pretty small amount).
And then, you get into comparing statistical reports from different sources. Lie, damned lies, and statistics, you know.
About the only certainty is it's debatable whether the iPhone is really losing market share and beyond that, whether Android is growing at the expense of the iPhone.
Apple Q3/10: 13.4 million devices (almost doubled!) but 16.7% marketshare.
Nokia Q3/09: 18 million devices and 44% marketshare
Nokia Q3/10: 29 million devices (+ 11 million!) but only 36% marketshare
So Apple sold 6.5 million more units but lost 0.4% marketshare.
Ya, right.
The iPhone is both gaining and losing market share, depending on what you mean by market share.
Do you mean what percentage of devices sold or what percentage of devices in use?
By the first measure, iPhone is slightly losing (by an amount that almost seems like it could be a statistical fluke -- it's basically flat) market share. By the other, it's still gaining market share (again by a pretty small amount).
And then, you get into comparing statistical reports from different sources. Lie, damned lies, and statistics, you know.
About the only certainty is it's debatable whether the iPhone is really losing market share and beyond that, whether Android is growing at the expense of the iPhone.
puggles
Jun 14, 07:42 PM
ok definitely not going to radio shack... they changed the time from 7AM to 1PM and are now giving out pins which will put your name on a list and they will call you as they are received to the store.... definitely not guaranteed! They also seemed really desperate for my business. Im guessing they also made the 1PM time so you will miss other pre orders and be stuck with them....unless you can pre order with apple and radio shack and cancel the apple one if radio shack does work out?
iindigo
Mar 26, 07:35 AM
I'm shocked at how many people are so willing to just wave away all the nice under-the-hood changes and improvements that Lion offers just because there aren't any super-radical UI changes... really disappointing to be honest. Does it really have to be all flashy to be of interest to you? What, the functional side of things doesn't matter any more?
As an amateur OS X developer, I really hate this attitude because it will end up slowing Lion adoption. That really sucks, because there are a ton of awesome changes in 10.6 that I (and many, many other developers) would love to take advantage of to make their software even greater, but it's not going to be viable to go Lion-only for said features until Lion is installed on the majority of Macs out there.
As an amateur OS X developer, I really hate this attitude because it will end up slowing Lion adoption. That really sucks, because there are a ton of awesome changes in 10.6 that I (and many, many other developers) would love to take advantage of to make their software even greater, but it's not going to be viable to go Lion-only for said features until Lion is installed on the majority of Macs out there.
ChrisA
Aug 16, 10:53 PM
My main interest is in FCP the FCP results.
On a fixed budget, does anyone know the advantage/disadvantage of going for the 2.0Ghz with 1900XT over 2.6Ghz with the std video card?
I think movie editing depends a lot on the speed of the disk subsystem. After all Mini DV is 12GB per hour. That's a of data. When yo "scrub" a shot all that data has to move off the disk and onto the video card. Even with 16MB of RAM not much of the video data can be help in RAM. So the G5 and Intel machine have disks that are about the same speed. Speed of a disk is measured by how fast the bit fly under the read/write head not the interface speed. So I am not surprized the Intel Mac Pro is not hugly faster for video.
On a fixed budget, does anyone know the advantage/disadvantage of going for the 2.0Ghz with 1900XT over 2.6Ghz with the std video card?
I think movie editing depends a lot on the speed of the disk subsystem. After all Mini DV is 12GB per hour. That's a of data. When yo "scrub" a shot all that data has to move off the disk and onto the video card. Even with 16MB of RAM not much of the video data can be help in RAM. So the G5 and Intel machine have disks that are about the same speed. Speed of a disk is measured by how fast the bit fly under the read/write head not the interface speed. So I am not surprized the Intel Mac Pro is not hugly faster for video.
mobilehavoc
Apr 6, 02:36 PM
Your BMW looks a lot like a Yugo to me.
I kid, I kid!
:D
I don't actually drive a BMW anyway...just an Audi
I kid, I kid!
:D
I don't actually drive a BMW anyway...just an Audi
zacman
Apr 19, 02:22 PM
So the interesting fact is:
Verizon iPhone release didn't help Apple to stop losing marketshare although everyone said the deal will quadruple iPhone sales. :rolleyes:
iPhone Q1/11: 19 million (+ 2.5 million)
Android Q1/11: 38 million (+8 million)
Ouch. No wonder they are now sueing HTC and Samsung. If you can't beat them in the market, beat them in court. Apple must have learned that from Nokia (like they learned the choppy animations when you start third party apps in iOS 4.3.2 from Symbian).
Verizon iPhone release didn't help Apple to stop losing marketshare although everyone said the deal will quadruple iPhone sales. :rolleyes:
iPhone Q1/11: 19 million (+ 2.5 million)
Android Q1/11: 38 million (+8 million)
Ouch. No wonder they are now sueing HTC and Samsung. If you can't beat them in the market, beat them in court. Apple must have learned that from Nokia (like they learned the choppy animations when you start third party apps in iOS 4.3.2 from Symbian).
twoodcc
Apr 10, 08:55 PM
can't wait to see what it's all gonna be about! hope it ships soon!
Buschmaster
Nov 29, 09:20 AM
No thanks.
I pay for my music.
Oh, according to them, you must have a Zune. Because everyone who doesn't use a Zune steals music.
This news makes me want to go steal Universal junk I don't even like.
I pay for my music.
Oh, according to them, you must have a Zune. Because everyone who doesn't use a Zune steals music.
This news makes me want to go steal Universal junk I don't even like.
phatpat88
Jul 15, 12:46 AM
What about 4 SATA II Drives? This way I can have a mirrored 1TB RAID [clicks heals]
The speed of a RAID with the security of mirroring.. it doesn't get mucho better :)
The speed of a RAID with the security of mirroring.. it doesn't get mucho better :)
zap2
Apr 29, 01:08 PM
I don't want anyone to attack anyone else. Whomever calls names, name-calling is libel or slander. I say, "Attack ideas, not people."
Not if its true. So saying "Palin is a tax lower lowering nut" can be true. Its up for debate, but you can make the argument based off factual arguments.
Doesn't mean its a good idea or helpful to the nation, but its not libel/slander if its true.
I I wasn't talking about liberals in general. I said that most of the name-callers I knew of were liberals.
But its clear what you are implying
Not if its true. So saying "Palin is a tax lower lowering nut" can be true. Its up for debate, but you can make the argument based off factual arguments.
Doesn't mean its a good idea or helpful to the nation, but its not libel/slander if its true.
I I wasn't talking about liberals in general. I said that most of the name-callers I knew of were liberals.
But its clear what you are implying

NAG
Mar 31, 03:24 PM
Emphasis on the important bit for those who didn't bother to actually read the article. If you want to wait a bit, you can get the code and do whatever you want. Well that's my reading of it anyway, but please, don't let get in the way of giving the new enemy number one a good kicking.
If early access to the code is so unimportant then why the big fuss over cutting corners with Honeycomb to get it on the Xoom? Why not delay the Xoom or put Gingerbread on it and update it later?
Pretending that getting a jump on the market by weeks isn't enough to make or break you in the Android market isn't going to work. Having early access only doesn't matter if the features in the update are irrelevant (which they are for the feature phone makers who pretty much ignore any software updates anyway) or they're the life blood of the device (usually the flagship device of the month).
If early access to the code is so unimportant then why the big fuss over cutting corners with Honeycomb to get it on the Xoom? Why not delay the Xoom or put Gingerbread on it and update it later?
Pretending that getting a jump on the market by weeks isn't enough to make or break you in the Android market isn't going to work. Having early access only doesn't matter if the features in the update are irrelevant (which they are for the feature phone makers who pretty much ignore any software updates anyway) or they're the life blood of the device (usually the flagship device of the month).
NJRonbo
Jun 14, 06:27 PM
I hate Radio Shack.
Salesman have their heads up their butts
or corporate does not know what to tell them.
The 4th store I called said if you have a PIN
you are guaranteed a phone.
Salesman have their heads up their butts
or corporate does not know what to tell them.
The 4th store I called said if you have a PIN
you are guaranteed a phone.
ergle2
Sep 14, 05:29 PM
I got this great response this morning from my IT snob:
"Where in that linked article does it say 64bit? I see 65 nm, but not 64 bit. Duct taping two 32 bit cores together may get you Mac 64 bit processing... great for drawing cool pictures."
Anyone have a link that shows that Clovertown is 64 bit? Please help me to defeat this PC IT ogre
Straight from the horse's mouth at Intel (http://idfemea.intel.com/moscow/download/moscow_final_ru_and%20_eng/SRV/SRVM01.pdf) (Clovertown supports EM64T), and again at Intel (http://www.intel.com/performance/server/xeon/intthru.htm) (5100 series supports EM64T), and once more from Intel (http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20050926corp_a.htm) (Xeon is 64bit, mentions Woodcrest).
Took me about 10 seconds. Your "friend" is either a troll or supremely ignorant -- especially when you bear in mind this is the same hardware that Windows runs on. Apple pretty much supplies a nice case and the OS at this point.
Edit: too slow... I was busy with RL in the background... ah, well... :)
"Where in that linked article does it say 64bit? I see 65 nm, but not 64 bit. Duct taping two 32 bit cores together may get you Mac 64 bit processing... great for drawing cool pictures."
Anyone have a link that shows that Clovertown is 64 bit? Please help me to defeat this PC IT ogre
Straight from the horse's mouth at Intel (http://idfemea.intel.com/moscow/download/moscow_final_ru_and%20_eng/SRV/SRVM01.pdf) (Clovertown supports EM64T), and again at Intel (http://www.intel.com/performance/server/xeon/intthru.htm) (5100 series supports EM64T), and once more from Intel (http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20050926corp_a.htm) (Xeon is 64bit, mentions Woodcrest).
Took me about 10 seconds. Your "friend" is either a troll or supremely ignorant -- especially when you bear in mind this is the same hardware that Windows runs on. Apple pretty much supplies a nice case and the OS at this point.
Edit: too slow... I was busy with RL in the background... ah, well... :)
Tymmz
Aug 8, 01:09 AM
Nothing impressive really... top secrets should be good.
Time Machine is ok. It looks awful for an Apple product, what is up with that background? Ugly.
I totally agree, it looked quite ugly.
Time Machine is ok. It looks awful for an Apple product, what is up with that background? Ugly.
I totally agree, it looked quite ugly.
BenRoethig
Sep 19, 08:00 AM
The aluminum design has been been pretty good (although I personally like the Titanium design better, with the dark keys that don't get glared when light is shining on them). But, the Mac pro laptop line is in dire need on a system refresh. The design is getting a little stale.
Here's what I'd like to see:
-- How about some new textures for the case, such as brushed copper? I think that would look sharp. Or tinted aluminum, including brushed black metal. The brushings could even have subtle anisotropic patterns visible when tilted into and away from light sources, like circular rings, houndstooth, herringbone, starburst, etc. Imagine a blue-greenish "surfer" MBP with a "wave" pattern brushed into it, or a Boston Celtics green or two-toned wood-colored model with a brushed parquet pattern. This would be some real cutting-edge design that no other laptop vendor could easily copy.
-- 256 MB graphics, Radeon X1800 Mobility or better
-- HDMI output
-- SDI input and dual SDI video output (fill + key). Yes, input. This would be fantastic for mobile video professionals.
-- 1920x1200 resolution on the 17" model (this will become important with the resolution-independent UI in Leopard)
-- 1680x1050 resolution on the 15" model
-- 12"-13" model with 1440x900 resolution and backlit keyboard
-- Dual Firewire ports on separate controllers, with no shared bandwidth. One 400 Mbps, one 400/800?
-- Three USB2 ports on separate controllers.
The x1800 would require a machine that's a half inch thicker.
Here's what I'd like to see:
-- How about some new textures for the case, such as brushed copper? I think that would look sharp. Or tinted aluminum, including brushed black metal. The brushings could even have subtle anisotropic patterns visible when tilted into and away from light sources, like circular rings, houndstooth, herringbone, starburst, etc. Imagine a blue-greenish "surfer" MBP with a "wave" pattern brushed into it, or a Boston Celtics green or two-toned wood-colored model with a brushed parquet pattern. This would be some real cutting-edge design that no other laptop vendor could easily copy.
-- 256 MB graphics, Radeon X1800 Mobility or better
-- HDMI output
-- SDI input and dual SDI video output (fill + key). Yes, input. This would be fantastic for mobile video professionals.
-- 1920x1200 resolution on the 17" model (this will become important with the resolution-independent UI in Leopard)
-- 1680x1050 resolution on the 15" model
-- 12"-13" model with 1440x900 resolution and backlit keyboard
-- Dual Firewire ports on separate controllers, with no shared bandwidth. One 400 Mbps, one 400/800?
-- Three USB2 ports on separate controllers.
The x1800 would require a machine that's a half inch thicker.
barkomatic
Mar 31, 03:58 PM
At a glance your statement sounds fine. But that logic can be used for following logics:
1. I don't care what US does to rest of world as long as I as an american can live nice, prosperous life.
but i digress...
You're comparing a phone or a tablet to U.S. foreign policy? I'm sorry, I don't think gadgets are as important as that but apparently you do. I think you need a check on your perspective.
1. I don't care what US does to rest of world as long as I as an american can live nice, prosperous life.
but i digress...
You're comparing a phone or a tablet to U.S. foreign policy? I'm sorry, I don't think gadgets are as important as that but apparently you do. I think you need a check on your perspective.
NoSmokingBandit
Nov 24, 08:17 PM
Mine is installing right now too. The install process is rather long and tedious, but I can't wait to try out the Top Gear track first if I can. I wonder how many petrolheads are going to do that first? :D
Idk how long it took, i put the disc in and got lunch. When i came back it was done :)
So far i'm loving it. The physics are a huge step forward from any other console sim, the AI is much better than GT4 (though still not great), and the xp system works really well. I agree with the reviews though, its an incredible sim but lacks in other areas, like leaderboards and whatnot. Luckily i bought the game simply to drive and collect cars, so its pretty perfect for me.
Idk how long it took, i put the disc in and got lunch. When i came back it was done :)
So far i'm loving it. The physics are a huge step forward from any other console sim, the AI is much better than GT4 (though still not great), and the xp system works really well. I agree with the reviews though, its an incredible sim but lacks in other areas, like leaderboards and whatnot. Luckily i bought the game simply to drive and collect cars, so its pretty perfect for me.
Mattie Num Nums
Apr 19, 02:21 PM
Sigh, you're entirely missing the point of this case. No one's arguing that there's been a grid of icons before, it's just that Samsung went the extra step. See, Android itself doesn't have a near-identical desktop, but TouchWiz does. TouchWiz is what you see here, the icons have been made into squares (like the iPhone), there's now a Dock with frequently used apps with a grey background to distinguish it (like the iPhone), it has a black background (meh) but it uses white dots to note the page it's on (like the iPhone). They went the extra mile to provide an iPhone-like experience for their Android devices.
It appears from the F700's standpoint though the natural progression became TouchWiz.
It appears from the F700's standpoint though the natural progression became TouchWiz.
spencers
Jun 15, 01:55 PM
To follow up to my last post, just got a call from my local Radio Shack and got my PIN.
The waiting begins!
The waiting begins!
Bengt77
Mar 26, 02:36 PM
No, they could go DVD or Mac App Store. I hope we get a USB version, but I don't think it'll happen.
My bet is on distribution on custom design USB drives, like this one (http://molotalk.com/new-macbook-air-ships-with-custom-printed-software-reinstall-usb-drive/).
My bet is on distribution on custom design USB drives, like this one (http://molotalk.com/new-macbook-air-ships-with-custom-printed-software-reinstall-usb-drive/).
No comments:
Post a Comment