Rodimus Prime
May 2, 07:57 PM
According to this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_States#20th_century), the metric system was supposed to be almost fully implemented in the US by 2000, but because of a lack of enough public and government support through the 70s-90s the program essentially got shut down.
As an engineering student, I hope we will switch soon. The metric system makes so much more sense and is far easier to learn. Even for more common measurements (How many teaspoons/tablespoons in a cup again? Yards in a mile?), SI is a far superior system.
I think the biggest obstacle right now is the older generations who have grown up with imperial units and don't want to learn a new system. It should at least be taught equally in schools so a future switch won't cause as much resistance.
You missed the fact that so many of our cook books are in standard US units and that not going to changed.
I think SI for a lot of things is just better but things like miles, MPH ect are just not going to get phased out they are to much the norm i everything we use.
I tend to jump between the 2 fairly easily.
As an engineering student, I hope we will switch soon. The metric system makes so much more sense and is far easier to learn. Even for more common measurements (How many teaspoons/tablespoons in a cup again? Yards in a mile?), SI is a far superior system.
I think the biggest obstacle right now is the older generations who have grown up with imperial units and don't want to learn a new system. It should at least be taught equally in schools so a future switch won't cause as much resistance.
You missed the fact that so many of our cook books are in standard US units and that not going to changed.
I think SI for a lot of things is just better but things like miles, MPH ect are just not going to get phased out they are to much the norm i everything we use.
I tend to jump between the 2 fairly easily.
Guitar geek
Aug 4, 12:01 AM
This is great and bad at the same time for me. I'm so happy that they'll finally move to Merom. However, I've been holding off an MBP since mid-April. I was really hoping to get one after WWDC. If it's true that they may launch it in September, I may not be able to get it in time for school, and the ipod rebate may be over.
Number 41
Apr 26, 02:36 PM
Mac is still a success nonetheless...
Will be the same for the iPhone. Apple is happy with 2 models on 2 providers in the USA...
Mac still doesn't have the software selection of Windows. Mac succeeds in spite of it's lack of developers because owning a Mac became "cool" at some point in the past 15 years. Microsoft shooting themselves in the head with Vista helped as well.
Can the iPhone succeed when devs start to divert resources to Android development? Will the "cool" factor of owning an iPhone save it when the next "Angry Birds" type game is only available on Android? Or when major corporations develop Apps for their employees that require them to own Android phones (as happened with DOS/Windows back in the 80s and 90s)?
Apple is happy now because they're making money. The gravy train will end when the balance reaches a tipping point -- as the PC market did -- where it simply isn't profitable to divert resources away from the majority market share to develop for the minority market share.
Will be the same for the iPhone. Apple is happy with 2 models on 2 providers in the USA...
Mac still doesn't have the software selection of Windows. Mac succeeds in spite of it's lack of developers because owning a Mac became "cool" at some point in the past 15 years. Microsoft shooting themselves in the head with Vista helped as well.
Can the iPhone succeed when devs start to divert resources to Android development? Will the "cool" factor of owning an iPhone save it when the next "Angry Birds" type game is only available on Android? Or when major corporations develop Apps for their employees that require them to own Android phones (as happened with DOS/Windows back in the 80s and 90s)?
Apple is happy now because they're making money. The gravy train will end when the balance reaches a tipping point -- as the PC market did -- where it simply isn't profitable to divert resources away from the majority market share to develop for the minority market share.
Sodner
Apr 20, 07:25 AM
It's not like me to pass on any Apple product upgrade but if the next iPhone is the exact same form factor and screen size with a camera upgrade, an A5 chip and 1 GB of ram, I'm passing.
I use that money for a second iMac.
I use that money for a second iMac.
MickyDees
Apr 18, 02:47 PM
I guess I can see Apple's point. But, aren't all tablets going to have a similar style and interface? It would seem like there can be only marginal differences in a touch screen interface.
pizzafunghi
May 7, 03:45 PM
Then they better improve the performance first. If they offered it free then more users would really bog down the current MobileMe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDXSSi1qStA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDXSSi1qStA
GuitarDTO
Mar 28, 10:58 AM
I think 2012 makes perfect sense for the iPhone 5. The 4 is still amazing and doesnt need a processor bump at the moment. Plus, I think the biggest thing, Apple wants to include 4G/LTE in the device. There is no point in releasing a 5 with just a processor bump unless it includes 4G, and my guess is they need a little more time polishing up the 4G device. The next iPhone could very well be a big change similar to 3GS to 4.
johnnyturbouk
Apr 10, 10:10 AM
am�big�u�ous/amˈbigyo͞oəs/Adjective
1. (of language) Open to more than one interpretation; having a double meaning.
2. Unclear or inexact because a choice between alternatives has not been made.
The problem may be confusing to some; it certainly is not ambiguous. There are rules in math, if you follow them, there is only one answer. Period.
i agree and disagree!
I believe the problem stated was ambiguous since he/she did not express the equation with parentheses that would have helped to expound the problem in a more accurate manner!
The equation should of been expressed as: (48/2) x (9+3)
Mathematics do have rules, and thus will almost certainly yield one answer, this only holds true if there was clear presentation of the facts stated, rather than the reader making inferences from the initial question: which in this case was poorly numbered (worded)
1. (of language) Open to more than one interpretation; having a double meaning.
2. Unclear or inexact because a choice between alternatives has not been made.
The problem may be confusing to some; it certainly is not ambiguous. There are rules in math, if you follow them, there is only one answer. Period.
i agree and disagree!
I believe the problem stated was ambiguous since he/she did not express the equation with parentheses that would have helped to expound the problem in a more accurate manner!
The equation should of been expressed as: (48/2) x (9+3)
Mathematics do have rules, and thus will almost certainly yield one answer, this only holds true if there was clear presentation of the facts stated, rather than the reader making inferences from the initial question: which in this case was poorly numbered (worded)
Spanna
Aug 6, 06:25 AM
If new monitors are introduced with built in isights, does this mean Apple will discontinue the standalone isight as all macs will now come with built in isights ? (presuming you buy Apples monitor)
iBorg20181
Jul 23, 11:14 PM
If sales are strong they put off updates, if they are slack they roll out new stuff.
This time Intel jumped the gun so Apple may take longer to respond.
You missed my entire point - Apple can't put off updates just because "sales are strong." The "other guys" (Dell, HP, Sony, etc.) upgrade to new technology as soon as they can ramp up production, and Apple won't be, and can't be, "late to the dance" with technology that they all have simultaneous access to. Particularly CPU's. Graphics chips .... well, there they may fudge a bit, especially with 2 brands to select from, but not processor upgrades.
There's no way we'll wait until "November/December," unless Intel fails to deliver Merom, as predicted. If any laptops have Merom sooner, so will Apple.
:cool:
iBorg
This time Intel jumped the gun so Apple may take longer to respond.
You missed my entire point - Apple can't put off updates just because "sales are strong." The "other guys" (Dell, HP, Sony, etc.) upgrade to new technology as soon as they can ramp up production, and Apple won't be, and can't be, "late to the dance" with technology that they all have simultaneous access to. Particularly CPU's. Graphics chips .... well, there they may fudge a bit, especially with 2 brands to select from, but not processor upgrades.
There's no way we'll wait until "November/December," unless Intel fails to deliver Merom, as predicted. If any laptops have Merom sooner, so will Apple.
:cool:
iBorg
toddybody
Mar 31, 09:01 AM
Lol...
So where exactly did I personally insult you?
Ehh, you were a bit snarky:p
That said, people need to thicken their skin a bit...last time i checked sarcasm and subtle jabbing isnt a reportable offense on MR; at least not yet :rolleyes:
So where exactly did I personally insult you?
Ehh, you were a bit snarky:p
That said, people need to thicken their skin a bit...last time i checked sarcasm and subtle jabbing isnt a reportable offense on MR; at least not yet :rolleyes:
Guitar geek
Aug 4, 12:01 AM
This is great and bad at the same time for me. I'm so happy that they'll finally move to Merom. However, I've been holding off an MBP since mid-April. I was really hoping to get one after WWDC. If it's true that they may launch it in September, I may not be able to get it in time for school, and the ipod rebate may be over.
macaddict06
Jul 21, 03:46 PM
Three words: Back to School.
One word: September.
MacBooks are not getting a big bump at WWDC. If anything, the website will post speed upgrades, but other than that, no.
iPods? Just no. They will come out in September, or else the September 17th due date for a free Nano would be dumb.
One word: September.
MacBooks are not getting a big bump at WWDC. If anything, the website will post speed upgrades, but other than that, no.
iPods? Just no. They will come out in September, or else the September 17th due date for a free Nano would be dumb.
ZildjianKX
Sep 15, 05:35 PM
Anyone think that a gig of RAM might be standard in the MBP?
It's already standard in the iMac, except the education model, and that's a "consumer" machine.
It's already standard in the iMac, except the education model, and that's a "consumer" machine.
M-Life
Aug 4, 12:35 PM
please let it be in the mac mini...
2nd that notion. I waited last summer for updated Ibooks and this summer for an updated mini.
At the very least, Apple is making my summers seem very very slow, and that I can't complain about.
2nd that notion. I waited last summer for updated Ibooks and this summer for an updated mini.
At the very least, Apple is making my summers seem very very slow, and that I can't complain about.
miles01110
Aug 4, 09:56 AM
probably (75-85% sure) that they are fake.
TMay
Apr 21, 03:46 PM
Having dug around in my Mac liberally over 4 years, I was surprised they didn't crunch down the design yet. It's got a lot of room in there. Though the sleds and space aren't unwelcome, there are ways to compact all that and still have a great machine which is easy to access.
Past dual processors required a lot of heat sink fin surface to keep the G5's (remember water cooling?) and later Xeon's cool while keeping the noise level down. Now with plentiful 2 1/2 inch form factor SSD's available, and 32nm Xeon's on the way, heat will be less of a problem, heat sinks can be less bulky and Apple can maintain low noise in a very desirable 3U package.
Thunderbolt eases the RAID requirements of pro's by offloading to third party products as well as enable improved peripheral connection.
Seems like a natural evolution to me. Hoping for Xeon E5-2600 octo but I'll take whatever arrives Q4.
Past dual processors required a lot of heat sink fin surface to keep the G5's (remember water cooling?) and later Xeon's cool while keeping the noise level down. Now with plentiful 2 1/2 inch form factor SSD's available, and 32nm Xeon's on the way, heat will be less of a problem, heat sinks can be less bulky and Apple can maintain low noise in a very desirable 3U package.
Thunderbolt eases the RAID requirements of pro's by offloading to third party products as well as enable improved peripheral connection.
Seems like a natural evolution to me. Hoping for Xeon E5-2600 octo but I'll take whatever arrives Q4.
Benjy91
Mar 27, 05:56 AM
Going to be fun on my 500MB data limit.
dr Dunkel
Apr 25, 09:45 AM
Why should God allmighty (Steve) not lie to his minions?
SandynJosh
Apr 26, 03:56 PM
I love that argument - who told Apple to only make 1 phone? Nobody it was their decision. This is PC vs Mac all over again - history repeating itself.
I can't wait to see how Steve Jobs spins this somehow at WWDC - my guess is he'll throw iPod Touches and iPads into their numbers so it doesn't look as horrible as the Nielsen chart shows.
At the end of the day, the truth hurts - Android is the new defacto platform for mobile and that means developers, developers, developers.
I suspect you're just trolling because I can't believe that you're as clueless as you pretend.
The Android platform is so highly fractured that to write an app for one Android phone doesn't mean you got the platform covered... far from it. Apple's IOS platform is huge, and has only shrunk in market share by a couple points (PIM is the one taking a beating) since the last survey.
The controlled environment of the IOS, which extends to iPods, and iPads, makes for a more profitable platform for developers. This not wishful dreaming, it's a fact any developer will tell you, or you can jump into the archives and learn for yourself.
I can't wait to see how Steve Jobs spins this somehow at WWDC - my guess is he'll throw iPod Touches and iPads into their numbers so it doesn't look as horrible as the Nielsen chart shows.
At the end of the day, the truth hurts - Android is the new defacto platform for mobile and that means developers, developers, developers.
I suspect you're just trolling because I can't believe that you're as clueless as you pretend.
The Android platform is so highly fractured that to write an app for one Android phone doesn't mean you got the platform covered... far from it. Apple's IOS platform is huge, and has only shrunk in market share by a couple points (PIM is the one taking a beating) since the last survey.
The controlled environment of the IOS, which extends to iPods, and iPads, makes for a more profitable platform for developers. This not wishful dreaming, it's a fact any developer will tell you, or you can jump into the archives and learn for yourself.
kalsta
May 6, 10:04 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. Although glass sizes differ across states in Australia as well. Here in WA if i go for a pub I'll either ask for a pint (a big glass) or a middi, handle, pot etc (small glass) or a schooner (tall glass slightly smaller then a pint) although never have asked for a schooner and see no need.
I've been to WA a couple of times… Had fish and chips with friends on the docks at Freo… all very nice! But I nearly fell over when they handed me the beers and told me the price. Don't ask me if it came in a pint or a schooner though. All I remember was it was expensive and I didn't even enjoy it. It was Redback I think — made with wheat, and not my cup of tea.
What were we talking about again?
I've been to WA a couple of times… Had fish and chips with friends on the docks at Freo… all very nice! But I nearly fell over when they handed me the beers and told me the price. Don't ask me if it came in a pint or a schooner though. All I remember was it was expensive and I didn't even enjoy it. It was Redback I think — made with wheat, and not my cup of tea.
What were we talking about again?
NebulaClash
Mar 28, 10:30 AM
+1
Seems like this timeline will screw up upgrades for iPhone 6 for people who buy iPhone 5. Unless, of course, they move all iPhone releases to the fall.
An idea I've been suggesting for some time. A fall release cycle makes more sense in that it plays to the big Christmas quarter.
Seems like this timeline will screw up upgrades for iPhone 6 for people who buy iPhone 5. Unless, of course, they move all iPhone releases to the fall.
An idea I've been suggesting for some time. A fall release cycle makes more sense in that it plays to the big Christmas quarter.
_Matt
Aug 6, 11:03 PM
anyone think apple will do anything to commemorate the 5 year anniversary of the ipod in october?
the sixth generation...none touch fullscreen wireless true iPod video... :eek:
oh and there's just one more thing...
iPod Inviso :p
the sixth generation...none touch fullscreen wireless true iPod video... :eek:
oh and there's just one more thing...
iPod Inviso :p
Ava's Meeshee
Apr 20, 08:28 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
I think Apple needs to concentrate more on improving iOS rather than adding a faster processor. Tbh I'm pretty fed up of my iPhone 4 as the is just looks boringly simple. Not everybody wants the same old os on every device. I think it's the omnia 7 next for me so I can have a change.
That doesn't fit in with their UI principles so they won't. Once I too questioned why anyone should expect an OS to be inherently entertaining I had to agree that spending any time making the launch board delight you would be silly and pointless. And why on Earth should a phone have a "desktop"?
I think Apple needs to concentrate more on improving iOS rather than adding a faster processor. Tbh I'm pretty fed up of my iPhone 4 as the is just looks boringly simple. Not everybody wants the same old os on every device. I think it's the omnia 7 next for me so I can have a change.
That doesn't fit in with their UI principles so they won't. Once I too questioned why anyone should expect an OS to be inherently entertaining I had to agree that spending any time making the launch board delight you would be silly and pointless. And why on Earth should a phone have a "desktop"?
No comments:
Post a Comment