ticman
Nov 21, 09:15 AM
good morning Wclyffe.
question on your comment about BlueAnt. I too have used BT Blueant and loved it. When I got the iPhone it would not, however, recognize my contact list, BUT would let me talk and listen to a phone call I originated on the iPhone.
With the tomtom dock, if the BT isn't acceptable per the above comments, how would I use the BlueAnt?
With the car kit I assume handsfree dialing still requires either holding iphone button and doing voice dialing or favorite list or contact list. BlueAnt of course allowed one touch button and "call so and so" command.
Appreciate clarification.
Have you done anymore review of the Navigon car kit?
thanks,
Mike
question on your comment about BlueAnt. I too have used BT Blueant and loved it. When I got the iPhone it would not, however, recognize my contact list, BUT would let me talk and listen to a phone call I originated on the iPhone.
With the tomtom dock, if the BT isn't acceptable per the above comments, how would I use the BlueAnt?
With the car kit I assume handsfree dialing still requires either holding iphone button and doing voice dialing or favorite list or contact list. BlueAnt of course allowed one touch button and "call so and so" command.
Appreciate clarification.
Have you done anymore review of the Navigon car kit?
thanks,
Mike
Evangelion
Sep 11, 09:55 AM
It is excellent that you can play movies it on an iPod, but I hardly think that is enough to launch "screenplay". Most people want to see a movie on a large screen, not a computer or an iPod.
Is there any reason why you couldn't do both?
Is there any reason why you couldn't do both?
Amazing Iceman
Apr 25, 10:03 AM
Yeah, you're right. We should all be geo-tagged from birth and have cameras implanted in our eyes so that the Government can catch bad people. We have nothing to hide, afterall.
They already do that without our knowledge, so why keep worrying about it?
As long as they know where we are when we need help, who cares?
All those street cameras, Toll transponders, Tolls with license plate recognition, cellular tower triangulation, Telephone tapping, Stake outs, curious neighbors watching you (potential witnesses), etc.; that's a lot of tracking going on there... that's without counting on Satellite surveillance available to the government to use whenever they need it.
So the fact is that:
:eek: THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS ABSOLUTE PRIVACY!!! :eek:
They already do that without our knowledge, so why keep worrying about it?
As long as they know where we are when we need help, who cares?
All those street cameras, Toll transponders, Tolls with license plate recognition, cellular tower triangulation, Telephone tapping, Stake outs, curious neighbors watching you (potential witnesses), etc.; that's a lot of tracking going on there... that's without counting on Satellite surveillance available to the government to use whenever they need it.
So the fact is that:
:eek: THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS ABSOLUTE PRIVACY!!! :eek:
Dont Hurt Me
Aug 7, 02:17 PM
Powerful system for sure but looking at this thing it seems the base unit is a workstation to me. The 7300 GPU is a $99 Gpu so I was surprised they went so low with the base graphics. Good thing you can build like you want it and they offer better GPu's but it wont be cheap. Cpu wise its kicks rear end just as its expansion now does and can hold 4 GPU's:eek: PowerMac is again a butt kicking machine. Twice as fast as old & slow quad G5 thats kind of funny. At least this gigantic tower can put things into all that space now:) There is a gigantic hole now for the user with a monitor. MacMini and ProMac......hmmmm when is the next show?
As a side note a AMD3500/6800GT combo will still hammer the base unit in Doom3:p
As a side note a AMD3500/6800GT combo will still hammer the base unit in Doom3:p

Cavepainter
Mar 29, 09:40 PM
I really do like the concept of having an enormous amount of online storage, immediately accessible from anywhere.. but ultimately I see this as an issue of me having to pay someone else for granting access to things I already own.
Do you like paying a fee to your bank when you take out YOUR OWN MONEY from the bank? Your bank says its because its a "convenience", which of course it is....but when I have to pay them money to get something that is mine, I have a problem with that.
Remember when television was free? We just had to put up with advertisements, and for that, we got free TV. Now many people pay 79 bucks a month or more to get cable or satellite TV. Time have changed. Now we are paying alot of money just to get tv, something that once was free of charge. Oh, yeah, and we still have ads. Funny how that works.
Of course companies like Amazon and Apple are not in it for your convenience, they're in it because if everyone eventually has all their files stored online in the cloud, there's TONS and TONS of money to be made- for ever. If I have a computer, phone or music listening device with ample amounts of storage space, these companies don't make any money off of me after I purchase that music from itunes or wherever. (And if I have cds or blu ray movies, they don't make any money on me at all). This cloud concept provides some convenience, but more importantly guarantees a steady flow of income for these companies for many years to come.
Flash memory storage capacities are growing yearly.. and prices are continuing to drop. Now companies are starting to ship secure digital cards with capacities of a staggering 128 GB on a tiny compact flash card! Ultimately I think most people will be able to have enormous amounts of files locally on their own phone or portable computer.
Do you like paying a fee to your bank when you take out YOUR OWN MONEY from the bank? Your bank says its because its a "convenience", which of course it is....but when I have to pay them money to get something that is mine, I have a problem with that.
Remember when television was free? We just had to put up with advertisements, and for that, we got free TV. Now many people pay 79 bucks a month or more to get cable or satellite TV. Time have changed. Now we are paying alot of money just to get tv, something that once was free of charge. Oh, yeah, and we still have ads. Funny how that works.
Of course companies like Amazon and Apple are not in it for your convenience, they're in it because if everyone eventually has all their files stored online in the cloud, there's TONS and TONS of money to be made- for ever. If I have a computer, phone or music listening device with ample amounts of storage space, these companies don't make any money off of me after I purchase that music from itunes or wherever. (And if I have cds or blu ray movies, they don't make any money on me at all). This cloud concept provides some convenience, but more importantly guarantees a steady flow of income for these companies for many years to come.
Flash memory storage capacities are growing yearly.. and prices are continuing to drop. Now companies are starting to ship secure digital cards with capacities of a staggering 128 GB on a tiny compact flash card! Ultimately I think most people will be able to have enormous amounts of files locally on their own phone or portable computer.
kxbcvoi
Mar 27, 10:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)
iPad 3 not in 2011 for 3 reasons
1. iPad 2 still do not reach other countries.
2. Software update will make iPad 2 new during half cycle.
3. Jobs said "2011 is the year of iPad 2".
iPad 3 not in 2011 for 3 reasons
1. iPad 2 still do not reach other countries.
2. Software update will make iPad 2 new during half cycle.
3. Jobs said "2011 is the year of iPad 2".
M87
Apr 20, 12:53 AM
I don't think I'll be upgrading if that's all it is.
Erwin-Br
Apr 26, 02:30 PM
Well Apple doesn't sell its software for use on any other phones (or computers), so how is it competing with software-installed numbers on all hardware types?
Apple isn't forced to allow iOS only on their own devices.
Besides, Apple is doing the same thing with OS X, it's made for Macs only, and people have always been comparing their sales against Windows.
Seems to me you're just bitter about it.
Apple isn't forced to allow iOS only on their own devices.
Besides, Apple is doing the same thing with OS X, it's made for Macs only, and people have always been comparing their sales against Windows.
Seems to me you're just bitter about it.
PecanEater
Apr 5, 01:03 PM
Lame. You can be sure Toyota will capitulate to the Apple strong arm.
kenliles
Apr 26, 02:35 PM
If in fact Apple waits until September for the iPhone 5 and even then only have a speed bump and a slightly better camera, this picture is only going to get worse. They need 4G, a larger screen, a microSD slot or a bump to 64 GB, a USB input, and the rest of the MODERN hardware features that HTC phones are putting out almost monthly.
Tony
no, they need a free phone--
by the way how do you buy stock in Android's success? Certainly not Google...
Tony
no, they need a free phone--
by the way how do you buy stock in Android's success? Certainly not Google...
nagromme
Nov 2, 12:27 PM
There are no successful OS X viruses/worms, but every platform has Trojan horses. Aside from downloading your apps from trusted sources, I see two decent options for combatting future threats�including, maybe, an actual OS X worm someday:
1. Run anti-virus software all the time. When and if a threat emerges, download the latest definitions so you are protected.
2. Run nothing extra all the time. When and if a threat emerges, download anti-virus software so you are protected.
I like #2, myself.
1. Run anti-virus software all the time. When and if a threat emerges, download the latest definitions so you are protected.
2. Run nothing extra all the time. When and if a threat emerges, download anti-virus software so you are protected.
I like #2, myself.
FX120
May 2, 09:08 PM
We need to switch to the metric system, what we have now is ****ing crazy when looking at the rest of the world...this is coming from a bio major who has to deal with SI units daily
At least we're not as bad as the UK...
At least we're not as bad as the UK...

weing
Nov 4, 02:26 PM
Jeez. You have to a moron of epic proportions to go this route for a car GPS.
KnightWRX
Apr 23, 06:55 PM
Translating a photo to a vector based format would be completely pointless and would end up massive. Take for example the Snow Leopard Prowl JPEG. It's 1.2MB, and converting to BMP or TIFF (both describe each pixel individually, i.e. lossless) makes it 12mb, 10 times the size. Converting it to the much less efficient SVG, makes it insanely massive; 225mb or 187.5 times bigger to be exact.
No one is saying photos should be changed to vector based art. Looking at my dock right now, nothing is a photo, it's all cartoony images that when converted to vector art (something again, KDE did 10 years ago) isn't much bigger than JPEGs or PNGs when saved as SVG.
Also, another big plus, SVG being text based XML compresses very, very well (don't forget JPEG and PNG are compressed formats). For icons, it made sense to move to SVG 10 years ago. Apple is late to the game in this regard.
For wallpapers, some make sense (more cartoony images or things like the aurora wallpapers of past OS X releases) and some don't. I'm not arguing Apple drop support for pixel based formats, but rather that they add support for vector based art and use it as much as possible where it makes sense.
If a few unpaid Linux hackers can make it work, why can't Apple ?
I agree with others about Apple needing to beef up the GPUs if they want retina displays in their Macs. They always seem to put last-generation cards into them...
In this case, last generation cards like the AMD Radeon 6000 that are about to show up in Macs (finally!) are quite capable of outputting the 3200x2000 resolutions which are being talked about here with the mount Fuji background. They have the RAM, the output bandwidth and the processing power.
No one is saying photos should be changed to vector based art. Looking at my dock right now, nothing is a photo, it's all cartoony images that when converted to vector art (something again, KDE did 10 years ago) isn't much bigger than JPEGs or PNGs when saved as SVG.
Also, another big plus, SVG being text based XML compresses very, very well (don't forget JPEG and PNG are compressed formats). For icons, it made sense to move to SVG 10 years ago. Apple is late to the game in this regard.
For wallpapers, some make sense (more cartoony images or things like the aurora wallpapers of past OS X releases) and some don't. I'm not arguing Apple drop support for pixel based formats, but rather that they add support for vector based art and use it as much as possible where it makes sense.
If a few unpaid Linux hackers can make it work, why can't Apple ?
I agree with others about Apple needing to beef up the GPUs if they want retina displays in their Macs. They always seem to put last-generation cards into them...
In this case, last generation cards like the AMD Radeon 6000 that are about to show up in Macs (finally!) are quite capable of outputting the 3200x2000 resolutions which are being talked about here with the mount Fuji background. They have the RAM, the output bandwidth and the processing power.
spydr
May 7, 06:44 PM
Here's to iAd supported MobileMe!
danpass
May 7, 01:49 PM
hmmm ............. iWork.com is free.
maybe some combined functionality setup soon?
maybe some combined functionality setup soon?
Glideslope
Mar 28, 10:57 AM
If there is no new iphone in June/July I am getting a Thunderbolt.
Buy it now. :apple:
Buy it now. :apple:
Eidorian
Aug 11, 10:57 AM
Have you seen the size of the heat sink in the Mac Pro? ;)Why yes. :D
Chundles
Aug 4, 11:52 PM
So I am planning on buying a MBP a soon or soon after they upgrade to Merom (depending on my $$ situation). BUt, I might be convinced to wait until Leopard is installed on the machines to buy.
Question:
How much will it cost to upgrade? I know that the current version of OSX is $100+ in the Apple store. Is that an upgrade, or for people still running 9? Will the upgrade be that much?
Thanks
There are no "Upgrade" versions of OSX, every disk is a full install.
It will most likely cost US$129 as it has in the past.
Question:
How much will it cost to upgrade? I know that the current version of OSX is $100+ in the Apple store. Is that an upgrade, or for people still running 9? Will the upgrade be that much?
Thanks
There are no "Upgrade" versions of OSX, every disk is a full install.
It will most likely cost US$129 as it has in the past.
mi5moav
Sep 11, 09:11 AM
Can't wait, especially for photokina. Hopefully, that new Apple VideoCamera will make it's appearance. I need one so badly. My brother is having a kid and I need something youtube. Can't wait Can't wait.
dr Dunkel
Apr 25, 09:45 AM
Why should God allmighty (Steve) not lie to his minions?
bedifferent
Mar 31, 03:44 AM
You (and others) are aware that "Developer Previews", when available, have always predated the Beta releases? It's not even a beta.
Apple says they will release Lion in summer, only Dev Previews have appeared so far, and suddenly people think it plausible for Apple to release a GM build in March?
And btw, I'm really disappointed in the reporting of the ludicrous "GM" rumour as it's pretty obviously wrong - usually MacRumors curates their news better than this.
Agreed :) 100% correct, these have been only two developer previews so a "straight to GM" claim is highly unlikely. I was/am amazed at how many sites are reporting a GM build is close/in the works as this has not been Apple's OS X development system of years prior (and should still be as developers/etc need beta's to flesh out their applications for porting and debugging to Apple engineers). Looking forward to the beta's, I'm guessing there is more to Lion than what we currently know from perusing some of the Lion Dev forums.
Apparently they claim to know than they do, which is typical. Your observations are spot on.
Is this directed towards me? If so, I'm very familiar with how things are done and I would like to believe I am fairly knowledgable in the systemic approach taken by Apple in 10.X releases :). My comment was regarding the veracity of the reports from MacRumors and many other Apple/tech oriented sites stating a GM build is around the corner while we haven't even reached beta builds (I've posted on this quite a bit in the Lion forum).
Apple says they will release Lion in summer, only Dev Previews have appeared so far, and suddenly people think it plausible for Apple to release a GM build in March?
And btw, I'm really disappointed in the reporting of the ludicrous "GM" rumour as it's pretty obviously wrong - usually MacRumors curates their news better than this.
Agreed :) 100% correct, these have been only two developer previews so a "straight to GM" claim is highly unlikely. I was/am amazed at how many sites are reporting a GM build is close/in the works as this has not been Apple's OS X development system of years prior (and should still be as developers/etc need beta's to flesh out their applications for porting and debugging to Apple engineers). Looking forward to the beta's, I'm guessing there is more to Lion than what we currently know from perusing some of the Lion Dev forums.
Apparently they claim to know than they do, which is typical. Your observations are spot on.
Is this directed towards me? If so, I'm very familiar with how things are done and I would like to believe I am fairly knowledgable in the systemic approach taken by Apple in 10.X releases :). My comment was regarding the veracity of the reports from MacRumors and many other Apple/tech oriented sites stating a GM build is around the corner while we haven't even reached beta builds (I've posted on this quite a bit in the Lion forum).
Multimedia
Jul 23, 02:17 PM
Why do I have some weird feeling that they will update the entire product line at WWDC?Why not? Conroe will have availability by WWDC, IIRC, and Merom won't be far behind- they could announce a MBP with Merom, shipping in two weeks after WWDC.
MBP with Merom, iMac with Conroe, Mac Pro's with either Conroe and a Woodcrest quad or all Woodcrest, MacBook's with Merom or Yonah w/price drop, and Mac Mini price drop back to $499.This is the scenario I would love to see unfold including slowest 1.66 GHz Core 2 Duo in the $499 mini Combo. I think following this path would be the best way for Apple to gain significant market share this Fall. Be boldly state-of-the-art 64 bit all the way right away. :eek: :) :D :cool: ;)
MBP with Merom, iMac with Conroe, Mac Pro's with either Conroe and a Woodcrest quad or all Woodcrest, MacBook's with Merom or Yonah w/price drop, and Mac Mini price drop back to $499.This is the scenario I would love to see unfold including slowest 1.66 GHz Core 2 Duo in the $499 mini Combo. I think following this path would be the best way for Apple to gain significant market share this Fall. Be boldly state-of-the-art 64 bit all the way right away. :eek: :) :D :cool: ;)
Eduardo1971
Apr 23, 04:25 PM
Enough already!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment