weing
Nov 4, 02:26 PM
Jeez. You have to a moron of epic proportions to go this route for a car GPS.
Nostromo
May 6, 02:15 AM
Depends on how much all software as to be rewritten.
So the desktops would use Intel and the laptops ARM?
Doesn't sound very convincing to me.
How much rewrite to the OS?
Sounds like a lot of trouble.
So the desktops would use Intel and the laptops ARM?
Doesn't sound very convincing to me.
How much rewrite to the OS?
Sounds like a lot of trouble.
ticman
Nov 20, 10:53 AM
I just sent BLT an email and wii let I know what I get back. Something doesn't sound right. Must not be getting 20000 units. Just strange
MacBoobsPro
Aug 7, 03:39 PM
LAME
� $2,499 standard price of Mac Pro ($2,299 for Education)
��$2,124 is the lowest you can configure the Mac Pro ($1,962 for Education)
���To get it that low, you have to drop the processors from 2.66GHz to 2GHz and and the hard drive from 250GB to 160GB
� Airport Extreme & Bluetooth 2.0 still not standard
� Weak graphics card standard (GeForce 7300, ugh)
and as a sidenote:
� MacBook Pro & MacBook processors untouched
� iMac untouched
� iPod product line grows more stale by the day
It was WWDC not MacWorld you know?
� $2,499 standard price of Mac Pro ($2,299 for Education)
��$2,124 is the lowest you can configure the Mac Pro ($1,962 for Education)
���To get it that low, you have to drop the processors from 2.66GHz to 2GHz and and the hard drive from 250GB to 160GB
� Airport Extreme & Bluetooth 2.0 still not standard
� Weak graphics card standard (GeForce 7300, ugh)
and as a sidenote:
� MacBook Pro & MacBook processors untouched
� iMac untouched
� iPod product line grows more stale by the day
It was WWDC not MacWorld you know?
-aggie-
May 4, 09:37 PM
Explanation of what?
EDIT: The villain is done. ROUND THREE BEGINS NOW!
You posted the second part after I posted.
EDIT: The villain is done. ROUND THREE BEGINS NOW!
You posted the second part after I posted.
ticman
Nov 20, 11:43 AM
Received same response STATING THAT their eta is still 12/2 and they will shop same day they receive. Guess I will sit tight for now.
Plutonius
May 5, 11:43 AM
are we ready to move to the next room? anyone wants to split out for whatever reason?
No reason to split. There is only 1 door.
No reason to split. There is only 1 door.
Multimedia
Aug 3, 12:20 AM
You have said this before and it is TOTALLY WRONG if you are comparing the Merom to Yonah (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2711&p=4). The first slide is directly from Intel's Spring Developer Conference. Consistent battery does not mean 2X.There is this field report on CNET. This is not info from a SLIDE. It is from a real world field test.
Video: Long-lasting Intel Core 2 Duo notebooks (http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6100051.html?part=rss&tag=6100051&subj=news)
Over 5 hours of battery life with Merom vs. 3 hours with Yonah. 1.67 X or ALMOST Twice.
To New York on Airplane from San Francisco, Yonah PC battery died over Illinois while same size Merom PC battery made it all the way to New York City with power to spare. So I am RIGHT NOT WRONG. You are uninformed. :eek:
Video: Long-lasting Intel Core 2 Duo notebooks (http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6100051.html?part=rss&tag=6100051&subj=news)
Over 5 hours of battery life with Merom vs. 3 hours with Yonah. 1.67 X or ALMOST Twice.
To New York on Airplane from San Francisco, Yonah PC battery died over Illinois while same size Merom PC battery made it all the way to New York City with power to spare. So I am RIGHT NOT WRONG. You are uninformed. :eek:
iStudentUK
Apr 10, 02:04 PM
You wouldn't think that 4 x 5 + 4 meant 4 x (5 + 4), so why would you think that 48 / 2 x 12 meant 48 / (2 x 12)?
I don't think a typical mathematician would write this on paper using a "/", rather they would use a "_". Using / on anything more complex than x/y is very poor form.
Here, I assume / is being used as MacRumors isn't set up for writing equations. So I asked myself how would I write this in _ format?
I thought the answer would be-
48 (9 + 3)
2
Hence leading to 288.
The problem is / leads to confusion because you don't know if the person typing wanted to use a _ but couldn't, it is the intention and use that is confusing, not the symbol itself. Nobody should have to use PEDMAS for something silly like this- people should write equations in a decent format.
EDIT- using the x symbol is also something I don't like to do if I can avoid it. 5x6 or 5*6 not as good as 5(6) (or just xy if algebra is involved).
I don't think a typical mathematician would write this on paper using a "/", rather they would use a "_". Using / on anything more complex than x/y is very poor form.
Here, I assume / is being used as MacRumors isn't set up for writing equations. So I asked myself how would I write this in _ format?
I thought the answer would be-
48 (9 + 3)
2
Hence leading to 288.
The problem is / leads to confusion because you don't know if the person typing wanted to use a _ but couldn't, it is the intention and use that is confusing, not the symbol itself. Nobody should have to use PEDMAS for something silly like this- people should write equations in a decent format.
EDIT- using the x symbol is also something I don't like to do if I can avoid it. 5x6 or 5*6 not as good as 5(6) (or just xy if algebra is involved).
iJohnHenry
May 3, 06:35 AM
Some things are more problematic, there are millions of pint glasses for beer
<aside>
Ah yes, the 20-oz English pint vs. the 16-oz American one. :D
And near-beer at that!! :p
</aside>
<aside>
Ah yes, the 20-oz English pint vs. the 16-oz American one. :D
And near-beer at that!! :p
</aside>
cube
May 6, 07:06 AM
AMD is currently a bang for buck chip maker, I doubt you'll see them CPUs in Apple products. Plus until Fusion develops some more the thermal envelope isn't too good.
The TDP of Bobcat Fusion includes fast DX11 graphics. The TDP of Atom does not include graphics.
Bobcat Fusion is at 40nm bulk. Atom is at 45nm.
In some months Atom will shrink to 32nm with DX10 graphics.
By the turn of the year Bobcat+ Fusion will be out on 28nm bulk.
The TDP of Bobcat Fusion includes fast DX11 graphics. The TDP of Atom does not include graphics.
Bobcat Fusion is at 40nm bulk. Atom is at 45nm.
In some months Atom will shrink to 32nm with DX10 graphics.
By the turn of the year Bobcat+ Fusion will be out on 28nm bulk.
Slurpy2k8
Mar 30, 06:37 PM
Enjoy your brand new 129$ Mac OS X latest revision (the most advanced, the most unique, the most... bla bla bla bla...) carrying more than XXX features (aka... just making the Mac OS X experience more iOS-alike so you get used to AppStore since soon you'll have to go through this method of delivery as there won't be any other one, because Mr. Jobs wants more money...)
Yep... I think that 129$ sounds quite ok, for nothing :D
Though I'm not surprise... there's nothing shocking that they can implement. This "update" is aimed at training people into AppStore (aka money)... and they even charge for it :D
I lost braincells reading your stupidity.
Also, anyone who has used the lion dev preview knows for a fact that there are many major UI changes- easily the most significant UI updates since the release of OSX. But hey, everyone feel free to keep talking out of your asses.
Yep... I think that 129$ sounds quite ok, for nothing :D
Though I'm not surprise... there's nothing shocking that they can implement. This "update" is aimed at training people into AppStore (aka money)... and they even charge for it :D
I lost braincells reading your stupidity.
Also, anyone who has used the lion dev preview knows for a fact that there are many major UI changes- easily the most significant UI updates since the release of OSX. But hey, everyone feel free to keep talking out of your asses.
knucles
Sep 17, 01:22 AM
don't you think that is logic the realease of 24' displays?????'''
if imac have 24'; should acd get 23'??????????is coming soon
if imac have 24'; should acd get 23'??????????is coming soon
Amazing Iceman
Apr 25, 10:04 AM
Apple could do themselves a lot of favours if they came out with an offical statement, explaining what iOS does in regards of user tracking ( i.e, location database ). Some 1 line email response fired off by SJ doesn't do much good.
Once again, Apple fall down in terms of customer relations / communications. If Apple handled this correctly then all the fuss could go away in a couple days.
It's just a simple answer to a dumb question.
Once again, Apple fall down in terms of customer relations / communications. If Apple handled this correctly then all the fuss could go away in a couple days.
It's just a simple answer to a dumb question.
espoir
May 6, 03:15 AM
So many negative opinions but you may not know that ARM architecture is much more advanced then x86. Why do you think Windows 8 will support it? Because it's a future of home computing. And I'm not suprised that Apple considering it too.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a macbook pro twice as slimmer then 2011 model and that runs as long as iPad no matter what tasks you do?
And after all - why end users even care about CPU architecture? Do you think of your existing computer "Good, that the CPU is x86 based" every day? :)
Wouldn't it be nice to have a macbook pro twice as slimmer then 2011 model and that runs as long as iPad no matter what tasks you do?
And after all - why end users even care about CPU architecture? Do you think of your existing computer "Good, that the CPU is x86 based" every day? :)
SBlue1
Apr 5, 03:10 PM
boooo! :mad:
b166er
Mar 27, 02:14 AM
I'll gladly wait 3/4 months if we get all the much needed upgrades we've been waiting for. I doubt they will release the iPhone 5 and iOS 5 separately.
apolloa
Apr 21, 06:53 PM
You know, you would have to say 'About friggin time APPLE!!'
Interesting idea for design though, tower case and rack mountable, can see that being very popular :)
Interesting idea for design though, tower case and rack mountable, can see that being very popular :)
iliketyla
Mar 29, 05:53 PM
Obviously you know absolutely nothing about Japan. Most employees are very well paid here, and are by in large happy with their jobs. Even those who work part-time in fast-food restaurants. How does $12 an hour to work the evening shift at a McDonald's sound to you?
Sounds very subjective when you give no cost of living comparisons.
Sounds very subjective when you give no cost of living comparisons.
japanime
Mar 29, 05:51 PM
Highly debatable. More than likely working conditions would be far superior to what they are in China or Japan, and everyone knows happy employees are good employees.
Obviously you know absolutely nothing about Japan. Most employees are very well paid here, and are by in large happy with their jobs. Even those who work part-time in fast-food restaurants. How does $12 an hour to work the evening shift at a McDonald's sound to you?
Obviously you know absolutely nothing about Japan. Most employees are very well paid here, and are by in large happy with their jobs. Even those who work part-time in fast-food restaurants. How does $12 an hour to work the evening shift at a McDonald's sound to you?
CalBoy
May 5, 02:27 PM
Sorry it took so long to respond to this; I assure you it took only a second to Google (this is just the first result I found):
http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/pays-off.html
All of that is about the private sector switching to save money on their bottom line, something which I already mentioned should happen (and will without intervention).
The question is if the government mandated the metric system for EVERYTHING, from speed limits on the roads to the measurements on a box of Betty Crocker brownies. Many of these things won't actually lead to any increased economic efficiency because certain products can only be produced locally (say weather reports) and consumed locally. The cost of these industries switching would be quite expensive with no real economic gain because the products and services can't be exported or imported.
Is that wink a small admission of how silly your system really is? :) Sure, the math was simple, but how meaningful are all these crazy fractions? If I actually had to try and picture what these fractions represent, I'd want to convert the denominator into a multiple of 10 first in order to try and picture it. I might note that twice 48 is roughly 100, so I know we're dealing with a bit over 26%. Other fractions could prove more difficult. With the metric system, you never have to do this. You're always dealing with base-10, which is something we all understand and can picture, without having to memorise particular fractions and what they represent.
No the wink was just to say that 1) I would use a calculator, and 2) even if I couldn't, multiplying fractions is not hard at all.
Well, we could certainly argue that international communication would be a LOT simpler if there was only one language � and it would be! However, the reality is, we have a world with not only a diversity of language, but a diversity of culture, and the two are intricately linked. That makes the world a very interesting place, and being able to speak multiple languages would be a wonderful skill to have when travelling and engaging in other cultures. People are generally proud of their heritage, culture and language, and there aren't too many people suggesting the world should lose all of that richness in the interest of conformity. (Well, there are such people, but I think we can agree they're generally pretty scary.)
This is off topic, but language is but one part of culture. Customs, celebrations, and even measures, are all marks of a culture. In the process of colonization and free trade, we've actively destroyed many languages, customs, celebrations, and measures. I think we typically don't consider the loss of a measurement system to be too catastrophic because of the many conveniences that can be had from uniformity. But the same is true for language as well. I think the real reason we tend to gloss over measures is because they are typically easier to learn than a new language. Anthropologically speaking, however, they are very valuable in exploring a culture.
What is different about the US that it can't do likewise? I honestly find it perplexing. Be honest now� Is it because the French invented it?
Ultimately I think it comes down to the fact that the US is one of the few countries that had a great deal of popular sovereignty determine the outcome of whether or not we should switch to the metric system. Most other countries enacted policy through a quiet parliamentary action that was later carried out by agencies or at a time when most people weren't active in politics. Still others had theirs done at the point of a gun.
In the US there are a lot of veto points in the legislative process, making any significant change hard to do. Americans also tend not to have a great deal of respect for the sciences (scientific literacy is appallingly low) so it makes it a tougher pitch to the everyday person. Then there's also the issue that to most it's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist; why should they care about a measurement system when the one they are using right now is working for them?
You're not stepping out onto the moon this time. Just about every other country on the planet (and there are quite a few of them!) have gone before you, and it worked out just fine. Sure, it takes some time, but not as long as you might like to imagine. Let me come back to my own experience� I was born in the 70s, around the time Australia was just starting to transition to the metric system. The older folk may well have had a difficult time with it, but if so I was blissfully unaware of it. I came to learn what an inch was, since most rulers had inches on one side and mm/cm on the other, and people still, to this day, casually talk about their height in feet and the weight of newborn babies in pounds. (Yes, some old habits die hard.) But these sort of things are the exceptions. The transition to metric was so efficient, I, as a first generation growing up with it, didn't even notice there was a transition happening.
Seriously, you should be looking to Australia and other countries with successful transitions and learning from them, instead of just perpetuating all these fanciful stories of how terrible it's going to be to change.
The issue goes beyond just the prescribed time period to shift, however. As I mentioned above, there are a lot of infrastructure concerns. Not to mention that Australia in the 1970s was 13 million people, or about 24 times smaller than the current US population. The only other countries that were on this scale were India and China when they transitioned, and both had much less infrastructure and an already illiterate population that could be trained from the ground up.
Any realistic transition for the US would take decades.
http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/pays-off.html
All of that is about the private sector switching to save money on their bottom line, something which I already mentioned should happen (and will without intervention).
The question is if the government mandated the metric system for EVERYTHING, from speed limits on the roads to the measurements on a box of Betty Crocker brownies. Many of these things won't actually lead to any increased economic efficiency because certain products can only be produced locally (say weather reports) and consumed locally. The cost of these industries switching would be quite expensive with no real economic gain because the products and services can't be exported or imported.
Is that wink a small admission of how silly your system really is? :) Sure, the math was simple, but how meaningful are all these crazy fractions? If I actually had to try and picture what these fractions represent, I'd want to convert the denominator into a multiple of 10 first in order to try and picture it. I might note that twice 48 is roughly 100, so I know we're dealing with a bit over 26%. Other fractions could prove more difficult. With the metric system, you never have to do this. You're always dealing with base-10, which is something we all understand and can picture, without having to memorise particular fractions and what they represent.
No the wink was just to say that 1) I would use a calculator, and 2) even if I couldn't, multiplying fractions is not hard at all.
Well, we could certainly argue that international communication would be a LOT simpler if there was only one language � and it would be! However, the reality is, we have a world with not only a diversity of language, but a diversity of culture, and the two are intricately linked. That makes the world a very interesting place, and being able to speak multiple languages would be a wonderful skill to have when travelling and engaging in other cultures. People are generally proud of their heritage, culture and language, and there aren't too many people suggesting the world should lose all of that richness in the interest of conformity. (Well, there are such people, but I think we can agree they're generally pretty scary.)
This is off topic, but language is but one part of culture. Customs, celebrations, and even measures, are all marks of a culture. In the process of colonization and free trade, we've actively destroyed many languages, customs, celebrations, and measures. I think we typically don't consider the loss of a measurement system to be too catastrophic because of the many conveniences that can be had from uniformity. But the same is true for language as well. I think the real reason we tend to gloss over measures is because they are typically easier to learn than a new language. Anthropologically speaking, however, they are very valuable in exploring a culture.
What is different about the US that it can't do likewise? I honestly find it perplexing. Be honest now� Is it because the French invented it?
Ultimately I think it comes down to the fact that the US is one of the few countries that had a great deal of popular sovereignty determine the outcome of whether or not we should switch to the metric system. Most other countries enacted policy through a quiet parliamentary action that was later carried out by agencies or at a time when most people weren't active in politics. Still others had theirs done at the point of a gun.
In the US there are a lot of veto points in the legislative process, making any significant change hard to do. Americans also tend not to have a great deal of respect for the sciences (scientific literacy is appallingly low) so it makes it a tougher pitch to the everyday person. Then there's also the issue that to most it's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist; why should they care about a measurement system when the one they are using right now is working for them?
You're not stepping out onto the moon this time. Just about every other country on the planet (and there are quite a few of them!) have gone before you, and it worked out just fine. Sure, it takes some time, but not as long as you might like to imagine. Let me come back to my own experience� I was born in the 70s, around the time Australia was just starting to transition to the metric system. The older folk may well have had a difficult time with it, but if so I was blissfully unaware of it. I came to learn what an inch was, since most rulers had inches on one side and mm/cm on the other, and people still, to this day, casually talk about their height in feet and the weight of newborn babies in pounds. (Yes, some old habits die hard.) But these sort of things are the exceptions. The transition to metric was so efficient, I, as a first generation growing up with it, didn't even notice there was a transition happening.
Seriously, you should be looking to Australia and other countries with successful transitions and learning from them, instead of just perpetuating all these fanciful stories of how terrible it's going to be to change.
The issue goes beyond just the prescribed time period to shift, however. As I mentioned above, there are a lot of infrastructure concerns. Not to mention that Australia in the 1970s was 13 million people, or about 24 times smaller than the current US population. The only other countries that were on this scale were India and China when they transitioned, and both had much less infrastructure and an already illiterate population that could be trained from the ground up.
Any realistic transition for the US would take decades.
-aggie-
May 4, 10:01 PM
You got all that correct.
I'm surprised. :)
Why would the villain ever move out of the lair?
Are we to assume there are unlimited traps and monsters? Are these of all types, that is, 1 point type, 2 point type, etc.?
I'm surprised. :)
Why would the villain ever move out of the lair?
Are we to assume there are unlimited traps and monsters? Are these of all types, that is, 1 point type, 2 point type, etc.?
d4rkc4sm
Apr 25, 09:32 AM
this is a non-story sad steve jobs has to even reply to these stupid allegations
Rocketman
May 7, 06:21 PM
Now I start thinking about it, I've never paid Google a single cent, but I use
***
You do not pay Google but advertisers on your splash pages pay Google. You help them make far more money than you would pay for the service and you do that for them for free. And spread the word.
On behalf of all Google stockholders worldwide, thank you for being one of our minions.
Rocketman
***
You do not pay Google but advertisers on your splash pages pay Google. You help them make far more money than you would pay for the service and you do that for them for free. And spread the word.
On behalf of all Google stockholders worldwide, thank you for being one of our minions.
Rocketman
No comments:
Post a Comment