
blow45
Mar 29, 03:57 PM
Right I get that, and thats the point. On the military note does any country spend/waste more money than us on our armed forces. Not even close.
The arms dealers run the US, pretty much, if one is a cynic here. And it's not only the money spent on them, it's the havoc they wreak worldwide. Ask the Libyans, the Iraqis, the Afganis, the Serbs, the Vietnamese, the Cubans etc. etc. It's the price to pay for being a world bully. I am not making a value judgement here, I am just calling it like it is, but I am myself OOT here, so I won't say anymore respecting the topic at hand and the forums.
The arms dealers run the US, pretty much, if one is a cynic here. And it's not only the money spent on them, it's the havoc they wreak worldwide. Ask the Libyans, the Iraqis, the Afganis, the Serbs, the Vietnamese, the Cubans etc. etc. It's the price to pay for being a world bully. I am not making a value judgement here, I am just calling it like it is, but I am myself OOT here, so I won't say anymore respecting the topic at hand and the forums.
adbe
Mar 29, 02:48 PM
Or perhaps the entire debacle at Foxconn has fallen on deaf ears?
;)
Foxconn is Taiwanese.
;)
Foxconn is Taiwanese.
lPHONE
May 6, 12:21 AM
Yes, Windows 8 will have ARM support (http://windows8news.com/2011/01/05/windows-8-arm-press-release-microsoft/).
I don't buy this rumor, though. It's too crazy.
Why is it crazy? A few developers write some lines of code and let Toshiba or whoever fail in the hardware beta testing. I heard HP is trying to "Think Different" these days.
I don't buy this rumor, though. It's too crazy.
Why is it crazy? A few developers write some lines of code and let Toshiba or whoever fail in the hardware beta testing. I heard HP is trying to "Think Different" these days.
adomanico18
Mar 30, 06:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
So I guess that Gold Master rumor was wrong.
Read the update. Tech crunch reports this is the internal gm1 build
So I guess that Gold Master rumor was wrong.
Read the update. Tech crunch reports this is the internal gm1 build
johnnyturbouk
Apr 7, 03:47 PM
This gives RIM time to rethink their tablet.
lol
is it me, or does the RIM look pretty lame in comparison to other tablets
lol
is it me, or does the RIM look pretty lame in comparison to other tablets
iliketyla
Mar 29, 02:50 PM
Foxconn is Taiwanese.
The plant with mass rates of suicide is in China.
The plant with mass rates of suicide is in China.
macsamillion
Apr 25, 09:53 AM
OK. Call me naive; but it seems the privacy war was lost a long time ago... there is apparently much money to be made by reenacting the battle;
consider the logistics of tracking, storing, and sorting through, what is it 120 million, consolidated.db files. Why. Yes, we are talking about small computer files that may just take minutes to sort through, but who cares what I do? I can assure you that in the grand scheme of things my life is meaningless and so are my consolidated.db files...
consider the logistics of tracking, storing, and sorting through, what is it 120 million, consolidated.db files. Why. Yes, we are talking about small computer files that may just take minutes to sort through, but who cares what I do? I can assure you that in the grand scheme of things my life is meaningless and so are my consolidated.db files...
-aggie-
May 3, 09:37 PM
EDIT: Read above. Don't panic got it.
Not according to the OP he didn't. In the example the hero had one AP and the monster had one AP. Sooooo how did the hero win?
Not according to the OP he didn't. In the example the hero had one AP and the monster had one AP. Sooooo how did the hero win?
SockRolid
May 7, 12:50 PM
I agree, nuckinfutz. I signed up for the old, free, iTools during Steve's MWSF 2000 keynote (and got a great email address.) Basic services could easily be made free again, advanced services could cost a little. Apple makes most of their money from hardware sales, so it's possible that the free MobileMe component could add enough value to generate more hardware sales for Apple.
Even if the extra initial cost to Apple outweighs the increase in hardware sales, it could be beneficial for Apple in the medium to long term. Because there's another potentially huge long-term benefit for Apple. If all or nearly all Apple customers join MobileMe, they will create a larger MobileMe market to sell into. By 'sell' I mean iAds. It's entirely possible that MobileMe could become completely free if you and I and other users are willing to put up with the fancy new iAds that Apple is working on.
So what would make us put up with the iAds? Great content. We could stream movies, TV, and even audio when we're away from our Macs. Apple may not want to go 100% "cloud" since the "cloud" may never be 100% reliable. Apple no doubt wants to avoid the kind of disaster that Microsoft / Danger users experienced if at all possible.
But if Apple does a few more deals in Hollywood, I wouldn't be surprised if MobileMe gets renamed to "The Apple Channel" or something like that. As internet media streaming becomes more popular, Apple will be able to use its MobileMe infrastructure to become even more of a media powerhouse. iAd commercials and all.
Even if the extra initial cost to Apple outweighs the increase in hardware sales, it could be beneficial for Apple in the medium to long term. Because there's another potentially huge long-term benefit for Apple. If all or nearly all Apple customers join MobileMe, they will create a larger MobileMe market to sell into. By 'sell' I mean iAds. It's entirely possible that MobileMe could become completely free if you and I and other users are willing to put up with the fancy new iAds that Apple is working on.
So what would make us put up with the iAds? Great content. We could stream movies, TV, and even audio when we're away from our Macs. Apple may not want to go 100% "cloud" since the "cloud" may never be 100% reliable. Apple no doubt wants to avoid the kind of disaster that Microsoft / Danger users experienced if at all possible.
But if Apple does a few more deals in Hollywood, I wouldn't be surprised if MobileMe gets renamed to "The Apple Channel" or something like that. As internet media streaming becomes more popular, Apple will be able to use its MobileMe infrastructure to become even more of a media powerhouse. iAd commercials and all.
puma1552
Apr 20, 12:59 AM
Considering I'm on a lowly, pathetic, dinosaur 3G that can't even run itself without severe, severe lag and a shattered screen, and will be coming home to the US in mid-September after being stuck with this pile for yet another 5 months, I will DEFINITELY be getting one.
A white one, on Verizon no less. Hallelujah.
A white one, on Verizon no less. Hallelujah.
PsykX
Mar 30, 08:18 PM
Nope, not yet.
Yes they did. Did you even try it before replying anything?
Yes they did. Did you even try it before replying anything?

weing
Nov 4, 02:26 PM
Jeez. You have to a moron of epic proportions to go this route for a car GPS.
Sedrick
Mar 30, 11:47 AM
So let me understand this. You pay to buy your music, you pay to store it 'in the cloud' and you pay data charges (with ever decreasing unlimited data plans) to listen to it.
This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
mrblack927
Apr 20, 08:27 AM
Believe it or not about 1/2 of iPhone 4 owners believe they have a 4g phone.
Source?
Source?

cirus
Apr 24, 01:54 PM
You contradict yourself here. A 27" iMac is probably already retina, considering the viewing distance should be around 30" away.
As the distance grows, the PPI treshold to achieve the "retina" effect of "Eye can't distinguish the individual pixels" becomes lower. Given enough distance, 48 PPI can be enough to be dubbed "retina display" (your standard 50" 1080p TV).
No, you're not wrong. But I'm not either. I'll let you figure out why (think about the lower case b in Mbps vs MB of RAM ;) ). Unless I'm misinterpreting something, I doubt DP 1.2 can push out 21 gigaBYTES of data per second...
As for the 6990 listing that as max resolution, I'm betting that has more to do with current LCD display limitation (that is the max resolutions you'll find on an LCD monitor) than with actual hardware limitation. The hardware is capable of more than that. Some of these cards with a single GPU have 2-4 DP outputs capable of driving 2-4 of these 2560x1600 monitors. The GPU itself doesn't a problem pushing out these pixels and DP 1.2 makes it so they can push it over a single connection.
Sony was there first with the Vaio Z. 13.3", 1920x1080 baby. If it weren't so expensive it would be mine and I'd be back to running Linux.
Thanks, a 'duh' moment for me.
However, ati does list the 6990 as having a maximum display resolution of 2650 x 1600 per display though it can handle up to 6 displays. There will have to be a change somewhere. (Though you could probably write a program that would allow this resolution). That is still going to max out thunderbolt so you would not be able to drive one of those displays at native with a macbook pro.
As the distance grows, the PPI treshold to achieve the "retina" effect of "Eye can't distinguish the individual pixels" becomes lower. Given enough distance, 48 PPI can be enough to be dubbed "retina display" (your standard 50" 1080p TV).
No, you're not wrong. But I'm not either. I'll let you figure out why (think about the lower case b in Mbps vs MB of RAM ;) ). Unless I'm misinterpreting something, I doubt DP 1.2 can push out 21 gigaBYTES of data per second...
As for the 6990 listing that as max resolution, I'm betting that has more to do with current LCD display limitation (that is the max resolutions you'll find on an LCD monitor) than with actual hardware limitation. The hardware is capable of more than that. Some of these cards with a single GPU have 2-4 DP outputs capable of driving 2-4 of these 2560x1600 monitors. The GPU itself doesn't a problem pushing out these pixels and DP 1.2 makes it so they can push it over a single connection.
Sony was there first with the Vaio Z. 13.3", 1920x1080 baby. If it weren't so expensive it would be mine and I'd be back to running Linux.
Thanks, a 'duh' moment for me.
However, ati does list the 6990 as having a maximum display resolution of 2650 x 1600 per display though it can handle up to 6 displays. There will have to be a change somewhere. (Though you could probably write a program that would allow this resolution). That is still going to max out thunderbolt so you would not be able to drive one of those displays at native with a macbook pro.

twoodcc
Aug 3, 11:34 PM
I can still drop one in, can't I?
yep, that's the rumor :)
yep, that's the rumor :)
jaxstate
Aug 4, 09:54 AM
I was talking abou this reference to the 400 series celerons. I should have made that more clear.How does he know what? It is well known what is in the Core 2 and Core processors.
furi0usbee
Apr 26, 03:03 PM
The fact there is one Android phone or ten Android phones is irrelevant. Every one of those people could have chose to buy an iPhone. They didn't.
Well, the fact is that there is one iPhone, and ten Android phones. But anyway, of course this fact is relevant. If I have 10 chances to do something, and only one chance to do something else... how often do you think the 1 in 10 chance is going to come around.... maybe 1 in 10 times?
That's like saying the people who *lose* the lottery should have just picked the winning numbers. People choose phones, or lottery numbers for various reasons. The products that tend to be pushed upon them, or are more readily available, are usually the ones that people end up walking out the door with.
The 90% of PC users *should* have just bought a Mac as well. Doesn't mean the PC is better, but there are many more circumstances under which someone buys something; cost, availability, etc.
Well, the fact is that there is one iPhone, and ten Android phones. But anyway, of course this fact is relevant. If I have 10 chances to do something, and only one chance to do something else... how often do you think the 1 in 10 chance is going to come around.... maybe 1 in 10 times?
That's like saying the people who *lose* the lottery should have just picked the winning numbers. People choose phones, or lottery numbers for various reasons. The products that tend to be pushed upon them, or are more readily available, are usually the ones that people end up walking out the door with.
The 90% of PC users *should* have just bought a Mac as well. Doesn't mean the PC is better, but there are many more circumstances under which someone buys something; cost, availability, etc.
gnasher729
Apr 25, 09:23 AM
So Steve is saying there is no database of locations? Thats just an outright lie.
I think Steve Jobs is someone who doesn't suffer idiots gladly. Note how he didn't say "there is no list of locations on people's iPhones", what he said was "we don't track anyone". The opposite of "we don't track anyone" is "Apple is tracking some people's movements". Do you have any evidence of this? Do you _believe_ it?
Just think about his statement. Then consider that 1. Steve Jobs is just slightly wiser and more intelligent than you and is more likely to have a clue what he is talking about and 2. Steve Jobs is the CEO of a major company and can't afford to lie in public.
I think Steve is outright lying about this.. I don't think most people aren't fond of this, including myself..
You are an anonymous poster on MacRumors. Steve Jobs is the CEO of a major company. You can say whatever you like. Steve Jobs can't. Plus whatever I said above.
I think Steve Jobs is someone who doesn't suffer idiots gladly. Note how he didn't say "there is no list of locations on people's iPhones", what he said was "we don't track anyone". The opposite of "we don't track anyone" is "Apple is tracking some people's movements". Do you have any evidence of this? Do you _believe_ it?
Just think about his statement. Then consider that 1. Steve Jobs is just slightly wiser and more intelligent than you and is more likely to have a clue what he is talking about and 2. Steve Jobs is the CEO of a major company and can't afford to lie in public.
I think Steve is outright lying about this.. I don't think most people aren't fond of this, including myself..
You are an anonymous poster on MacRumors. Steve Jobs is the CEO of a major company. You can say whatever you like. Steve Jobs can't. Plus whatever I said above.
jaxstate
Aug 4, 09:53 AM
LOL. You win post of the day.
Give me a break. People voted negative on this because they are waiting on merom MBPs and now think that, contrary to they're hopes and prayers the past few weeks, that the Merom MBP revisions wont be out until september. This is no clandestine PC-clone smear campaign. who's it going to effect? This forum is full of the faithful, messing around here isn't going to change national opinion of Microsoft or apple products. It's not Steve Ballmer twisting his handlebar mustaches as he chortles to himself, going from one article to the next, voting negative at each. Let's get real here.
Give me a break. People voted negative on this because they are waiting on merom MBPs and now think that, contrary to they're hopes and prayers the past few weeks, that the Merom MBP revisions wont be out until september. This is no clandestine PC-clone smear campaign. who's it going to effect? This forum is full of the faithful, messing around here isn't going to change national opinion of Microsoft or apple products. It's not Steve Ballmer twisting his handlebar mustaches as he chortles to himself, going from one article to the next, voting negative at each. Let's get real here.
Plutonius
May 3, 07:45 PM
There could be treasure here. Searching this room is guaranteed to be safe, as far as I can tell.
Yes but then we are in the sequence search then move as opposed to move then search.
From what was said in the rules, search then move is not desirable.
My vote is to move to another room and start searching it.
Yes but then we are in the sequence search then move as opposed to move then search.
From what was said in the rules, search then move is not desirable.
My vote is to move to another room and start searching it.
Plutonius
May 6, 06:00 PM
Why not have everyone leave this dead end?
Everyone will but we can get back to the starting room quicker using "Don't Panic's" plan of having you in a separate group.
Everyone will but we can get back to the starting room quicker using "Don't Panic's" plan of having you in a separate group.
nomad01
Sep 11, 02:05 AM
this event is going to be simulcast in LONDON. Does this mean that movies will be able to be purchased by folks in the UK??? as far as I know you still cant purchased TV shows sold through iTunes in the UK:confused:
I don't know. I think the logistics of a Movie store would be easier than TV shows for Apple.
Movies get released around the same time in the US and UK now... maybe a few months delay. Once Apple has the deal with one studio, I'm guessing they're good.
With TV, shows air MONTHS later over here and they're on a ton of different channels. Sewing up deals with all the different networks for one country must be a headache let alone two or three countries.
I seriously think it's about time that Apple offered more than just bl**dy Pixar outside the US though.
Looking forward to see what they have planned tomorrow anyway. Unfortunately I'll be buying a couple of visiting Australian friends dinner when the keynote goes out. :-( Wonder if they'd settle for a packed lunch at the Apple Store? lol
I don't know. I think the logistics of a Movie store would be easier than TV shows for Apple.
Movies get released around the same time in the US and UK now... maybe a few months delay. Once Apple has the deal with one studio, I'm guessing they're good.
With TV, shows air MONTHS later over here and they're on a ton of different channels. Sewing up deals with all the different networks for one country must be a headache let alone two or three countries.
I seriously think it's about time that Apple offered more than just bl**dy Pixar outside the US though.
Looking forward to see what they have planned tomorrow anyway. Unfortunately I'll be buying a couple of visiting Australian friends dinner when the keynote goes out. :-( Wonder if they'd settle for a packed lunch at the Apple Store? lol
Amazing Iceman
Apr 25, 09:57 AM
In the meantime, government agencies in a number of countries have launched investigations into the situation, seeking explanations from Apple and details on how users can protect their privacy.
Simple:
- Just as you would do with your wallet and personal record files, don't loose your iPhone or lend it to someone you don't trust.
- Don't hack your iPhone and then install software that could be unsafe.
- Not necessary, but if you are too paranoid disable Location Services.
Protecting your Privacy involves more than just taking care of your iPhone. Someone could call you saying you won a trip to Hawaii, get your personal information, and then you are doomed.
Or when you purchase something, swipe your Credit Card into their device and retrieve most of the private information they need to steal your identity.
So, don't come and make a big issue about the iphone tracking personal info and people's privacy invaded, blah-blah, without a certain proof.
All this hype is nothing more than a publicity stunt .
Simple:
- Just as you would do with your wallet and personal record files, don't loose your iPhone or lend it to someone you don't trust.
- Don't hack your iPhone and then install software that could be unsafe.
- Not necessary, but if you are too paranoid disable Location Services.
Protecting your Privacy involves more than just taking care of your iPhone. Someone could call you saying you won a trip to Hawaii, get your personal information, and then you are doomed.
Or when you purchase something, swipe your Credit Card into their device and retrieve most of the private information they need to steal your identity.
So, don't come and make a big issue about the iphone tracking personal info and people's privacy invaded, blah-blah, without a certain proof.
All this hype is nothing more than a publicity stunt .
No comments:
Post a Comment