
peharri
Sep 14, 09:19 AM
Oh great, not this again.
BTW iPhone is not an Apple trademark. Doesn't make much difference, I'm sure Apple wouldn't call it the iPhone anyway, but iPhone is owned by Teledex, who are an IP telephony manufacturer.
Apple could do us a few favours and publicly announce it will never, ever, sell an Apple phone, just so this speculation ceases. Every time this rumour surfaces, Apple's chances of dominating the cellphone-MP3 player market through neutral licensing agreements becomes a little less likely.
Of course, they could be that stupid. As people run from MP3 players to MP3 phones, Apple releases a phone, doesn't license the technology to the dominant players, and it's share of the market drops from 75% to 3-5%. At which point nobody cares about iTunes any more, and the labels, fed up of the refusals to offer tiered pricing and other gripes, walk away. Buh-bye Apple as a major multimedia force.
BTW iPhone is not an Apple trademark. Doesn't make much difference, I'm sure Apple wouldn't call it the iPhone anyway, but iPhone is owned by Teledex, who are an IP telephony manufacturer.
Apple could do us a few favours and publicly announce it will never, ever, sell an Apple phone, just so this speculation ceases. Every time this rumour surfaces, Apple's chances of dominating the cellphone-MP3 player market through neutral licensing agreements becomes a little less likely.
Of course, they could be that stupid. As people run from MP3 players to MP3 phones, Apple releases a phone, doesn't license the technology to the dominant players, and it's share of the market drops from 75% to 3-5%. At which point nobody cares about iTunes any more, and the labels, fed up of the refusals to offer tiered pricing and other gripes, walk away. Buh-bye Apple as a major multimedia force.

unobtainium
Apr 22, 02:25 AM
I have no idea how this would be useful. Buffer times, connection loss, no WiFi around, these are all problems that will prevent this from working.
What's wrong with storing music on hard drives locally?
Yeah, my sentiments exactly. This seems pretty useless, at least for me. I can't get too excited about it.
What's wrong with storing music on hard drives locally?
Yeah, my sentiments exactly. This seems pretty useless, at least for me. I can't get too excited about it.

puuukeey
Sep 5, 02:03 PM
Good move but I bet its riddled with DRM:mad:

scottsjack
Apr 30, 07:58 PM
It cracks me up reading posts that stress how something is dead and done for it or that something will never happen. Some posters seem to put so much effort trying to promote how BluRay (which they most likely don't personally use) is dead or that Thunderbolt (a brand new technology just barely getting off the ground) can't be any good because no one is using it.
Maybe doom and gloom is just empowering for some folks. It seems short sighted to me.
Based on my daughter's C2D iMac 21.5 I'm expecting the news ones to be pretty spectacular in spite of the shiny screen that kept me from wanting one.
Maybe doom and gloom is just empowering for some folks. It seems short sighted to me.
Based on my daughter's C2D iMac 21.5 I'm expecting the news ones to be pretty spectacular in spite of the shiny screen that kept me from wanting one.

clintob
Oct 12, 03:56 PM
going on to say that Africans must be allowed to die so they can evolve and catch up is extreme and unreasonable.
It's always nice to find a reason not to make something "my problem." That's a great feeling. But I think you have gone in a pretty bad "us and them" direction with that.
I didn't say that at all. What I said is that it's been documented throughout history that people, animals, plants, and any other form of life on Earth go through phases where large groups die off. Yes, we are intelligent, educated animals with intellect and compassion, and it is therefore our job to try and curtail those deaths that are unfiar and inhumane. Nobody in their right mind would argue that.
What I'm saying is that when a group of people emerge (not ALL the African people - namely the group of African men who have decided that it is their duty to rape, impregnate, and pilage to their hearts content) who commit crimes against humanity, and then start to wreap the whirlwind, it's "natural" for those people to eventually meet their end - whether it be natural or otherwise. There are an AWFUL lot of African people who are compeltely innocent and in many ways helpless and it is our duty as leaders of the free world to help in any way we can. Of course - that's obvious.
But we also have to leand creedence to the idea that there's a portion of the African culture that is too deeply rooted for us to change, and that has to be allowed to die out on its own. Not the people themselves - the notions that are ingrained in that culture that have caused this problem. Those notions need to die off, and that will only happen in time.
THAT is what I'm trying to say.
It's always nice to find a reason not to make something "my problem." That's a great feeling. But I think you have gone in a pretty bad "us and them" direction with that.
I didn't say that at all. What I said is that it's been documented throughout history that people, animals, plants, and any other form of life on Earth go through phases where large groups die off. Yes, we are intelligent, educated animals with intellect and compassion, and it is therefore our job to try and curtail those deaths that are unfiar and inhumane. Nobody in their right mind would argue that.
What I'm saying is that when a group of people emerge (not ALL the African people - namely the group of African men who have decided that it is their duty to rape, impregnate, and pilage to their hearts content) who commit crimes against humanity, and then start to wreap the whirlwind, it's "natural" for those people to eventually meet their end - whether it be natural or otherwise. There are an AWFUL lot of African people who are compeltely innocent and in many ways helpless and it is our duty as leaders of the free world to help in any way we can. Of course - that's obvious.
But we also have to leand creedence to the idea that there's a portion of the African culture that is too deeply rooted for us to change, and that has to be allowed to die out on its own. Not the people themselves - the notions that are ingrained in that culture that have caused this problem. Those notions need to die off, and that will only happen in time.
THAT is what I'm trying to say.

twoodcc
Sep 13, 09:01 PM
hmmmm, interesting, wonder when it'll come out
that's my response as well
that's my response as well

LagunaSol
Apr 19, 11:10 PM
My only point in this whole discussion is Apple is not all sweet and innocent like so many like to think
Where did anyone say that?
And as an aside, The Beatles Let It Be album had a red apple logo in the center instead of the usual green.
I thought that cover had photos of the Beatles on it?
And red or green, their logo still looks nothing like the Apple Computer logo.
Where did anyone say that?
And as an aside, The Beatles Let It Be album had a red apple logo in the center instead of the usual green.
I thought that cover had photos of the Beatles on it?
And red or green, their logo still looks nothing like the Apple Computer logo.

SgtPepper12
Apr 25, 02:32 PM
Wow, I'm really impressed by all these people hoping for Liquid Metal. I'm wondering what they think that is, this "Liquid Metal". I bet they think it's something really cool, something that is completely different from anything that humankind has ever used in manufacturing (I mean, I read something like "Black Liquidmetal" in this thread. Wtf?). But truth is, if you held something in your hands made of Liquid Metal you wouldn't even notice the difference between that and anything made of aluminium, steel or any other shiny metal. It may be a very exciting new material for metallurgists or chemists but the consumer will probably just notice that it is a bit more durable and scratch resistant than aluminium (if at all, more likely in direct comparison only). It's the same thing as carbon. When I bought my first bike with carbon forks I was like "Holy crap this is real carbon, I bet this will change my life forever". In fact, it was just the same. Neither did it have a special feel to it. It felt like plastic, not very trustworthy. I liked how it reduced the weight (it was 15% lighter than my old bike all in all), but seriously, it wasn't a big deal after I got used to it. It will be the same with liquid metal. It has a fancy name and everything but for the enormous price of the material it has no use for the consumer whatsoever. It will also have traces of fingerprints on it, it will also get scratchy after some time and so on. Sure, it will take a longer time till it looks used, but nobody will think "This Notebook looks really bad. But hey, if it was made of aluminium it would have looked this way like two months ago. God, I'm so glad it's made of Liquid Metal instead".

rdrr
Sep 15, 06:51 PM
what about enough built-in memory.
Most current phones have 64 MB of memory. According to actviity monitor, simple widgets like Gas, and Sol take between 6.2 - 8 MB of memory, where the more gui type of widgets take 20 - 32 MB of memory. Put that load on a typical phone with a OS and apps like iChat, iTunes, etc... It won't fly unless you can cram 1 GB into iPhone.
Most current phones have 64 MB of memory. According to actviity monitor, simple widgets like Gas, and Sol take between 6.2 - 8 MB of memory, where the more gui type of widgets take 20 - 32 MB of memory. Put that load on a typical phone with a OS and apps like iChat, iTunes, etc... It won't fly unless you can cram 1 GB into iPhone.

ValSalva
Apr 25, 02:33 PM
Would you disagree that, just perhaps, in these industries where the DVD drive is so crucial that they might just have external drives? Apple is trying to sell these MacBooks to everyone, not just pros. It's the internet and App store are capable of doing the exact same thing as DVDs (for most computer purposes). For everything else, buy the external superdrive. 15% of MBP customers might need a DVD drive, but we know Apple isn't going to ignore the 85% who don't.
I'd agree with you. Apple is also trying to get everyone to purchase software from the Mac App Store. They are even trying to distribute Final Cut Pro via download so you have to believe Apple is going to do everything possible to diminish the use of CD/DVDs.
You also have to believe that if you still intend to watch movies/TV on your MacBook Pro that Apple would rather you download it from iTunes than buy a DVD from which Apple receives no cut.
At this point I'd be more surprised if the next MacBook Pro had a Superdrive. I think they didn't remove it this year because that would have required a redesign.
I'd agree with you. Apple is also trying to get everyone to purchase software from the Mac App Store. They are even trying to distribute Final Cut Pro via download so you have to believe Apple is going to do everything possible to diminish the use of CD/DVDs.
You also have to believe that if you still intend to watch movies/TV on your MacBook Pro that Apple would rather you download it from iTunes than buy a DVD from which Apple receives no cut.
At this point I'd be more surprised if the next MacBook Pro had a Superdrive. I think they didn't remove it this year because that would have required a redesign.

thisisahughes
Mar 30, 12:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)
Apple is upset at Amazon for using AppStore.
Microsoft is upset at Apple for using App Store.
Interesting.
Apple is upset at Amazon for using AppStore.
Microsoft is upset at Apple for using App Store.
Interesting.

Yebubbleman
Mar 22, 08:06 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/22/potential-imac-update-to-sandy-bridge-and-thunderbolt-in-4-6-weeks/)
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/03/22/140815-imacs_2010.jpg
As tracked in our Buyer's Guide (http://www.macrumors.com/buyersguide/#iMac), the iMac has reached its average update interval, suggesting that we might be able to expect refreshed models to appear some time in the relatively near future. Expectations for revamped iMacs include a move to Sandy Bridge processors and implementation of the new Thunderbolt connectivity standard that debuted in the MacBook Pro last month.
In a series of Tweets (via MacNews.de (http://www.macnews.de/mac/imac-update-teil-2-mai-thunderbolt-sandy-bridge-160029)), CNET's Brian Tong claims (http://twitter.com/brian_tong/status/50234343263707136) to have received word from a reliable source (http://twitter.com/brian_tong/status/50234696809984000) that new iMacs should debut in late April or early May. The updated iMacs are said (http://twitter.com/brian_tong/status/50234522251444224) to feature Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt as expected, but no major cosmetic changes are reported to be included.iMac rumors have been relatively sparse in recent months, although DigiTimes indicated (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/15/imac-and-macbook-pro-upgrades-in-first-half-of-2011/) in mid-December that Apple was expected to update both the MacBook Pro and iMac in the first half of 2011 with the iMac featuring a new panel size and price points. Just days before the MacBook Pro update in late February, DigiTimes reiterated its claim (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/22/apple-to-update-imac-alongside-or-soon-after-macbook-pro/) that may change the screen size on new iMacs, claiming that the new models could debut alongside or soon after the MacBook Pros.
Article Link: Potential iMac Update to Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt in 4-6 Weeks? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/22/potential-imac-update-to-sandy-bridge-and-thunderbolt-in-4-6-weeks/)
More surprising than this rumor is the fact that it's the first actual MAC rumor (beyond "we've found that the Early 2011 MacBook Pros have quirks" posts) in weeks. None of that is surprising though. I wonder if there will be any surprises with this refresh? I'm guessing no Blu-Ray, which means I'm not buying one. Though I'm still curious as to what'll be under the hood.
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/03/22/140815-imacs_2010.jpg
As tracked in our Buyer's Guide (http://www.macrumors.com/buyersguide/#iMac), the iMac has reached its average update interval, suggesting that we might be able to expect refreshed models to appear some time in the relatively near future. Expectations for revamped iMacs include a move to Sandy Bridge processors and implementation of the new Thunderbolt connectivity standard that debuted in the MacBook Pro last month.
In a series of Tweets (via MacNews.de (http://www.macnews.de/mac/imac-update-teil-2-mai-thunderbolt-sandy-bridge-160029)), CNET's Brian Tong claims (http://twitter.com/brian_tong/status/50234343263707136) to have received word from a reliable source (http://twitter.com/brian_tong/status/50234696809984000) that new iMacs should debut in late April or early May. The updated iMacs are said (http://twitter.com/brian_tong/status/50234522251444224) to feature Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt as expected, but no major cosmetic changes are reported to be included.iMac rumors have been relatively sparse in recent months, although DigiTimes indicated (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/15/imac-and-macbook-pro-upgrades-in-first-half-of-2011/) in mid-December that Apple was expected to update both the MacBook Pro and iMac in the first half of 2011 with the iMac featuring a new panel size and price points. Just days before the MacBook Pro update in late February, DigiTimes reiterated its claim (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/22/apple-to-update-imac-alongside-or-soon-after-macbook-pro/) that may change the screen size on new iMacs, claiming that the new models could debut alongside or soon after the MacBook Pros.
Article Link: Potential iMac Update to Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt in 4-6 Weeks? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/22/potential-imac-update-to-sandy-bridge-and-thunderbolt-in-4-6-weeks/)
More surprising than this rumor is the fact that it's the first actual MAC rumor (beyond "we've found that the Early 2011 MacBook Pros have quirks" posts) in weeks. None of that is surprising though. I wonder if there will be any surprises with this refresh? I'm guessing no Blu-Ray, which means I'm not buying one. Though I'm still curious as to what'll be under the hood.

spicyapple
Sep 10, 06:36 AM
The Woodcrest MacPro will suddenly feel very old if Apple manage to put Cloverton in MacPro early next year.
It appears I will be living in a cardboard box under a bridge sooner than I expected. :) All these juicy new Apples will put me in the poor house!
It appears I will be living in a cardboard box under a bridge sooner than I expected. :) All these juicy new Apples will put me in the poor house!

chasemac
Aug 24, 12:02 AM
Seriously, all... this is much better than the alternative. I.e. Apple having to completely re-engineer or stop selling the iPod. $100 million is chump change. Stock market is highly reactionary and irrational. It should all smooth out in the next couple days.
Yes, the consumer could care less. Apple reached the top of this mountain first. They got the loot first right? Or not, it just reminds me of something.:)
Yes, the consumer could care less. Apple reached the top of this mountain first. They got the loot first right? Or not, it just reminds me of something.:)

spicyapple
Sep 14, 08:04 AM
Most likely. I'm not a betting person, but Apple usually rolls out new pro machines during these types of events and what better way to show off the MBPs running C2D than a demonstration of Aperture 2.0. :)

harry20larry
Apr 11, 07:51 AM
I am confused. If your Mac is networked, why not just share your music folder on your network so any computer etc can play the music from the shared music folder on the mac?
Because what I ultimately want is an airplay/airmusic station ready to play from any of the 9 iOS/iTunes devices in the house wirelessly in the family area.
Because what I ultimately want is an airplay/airmusic station ready to play from any of the 9 iOS/iTunes devices in the house wirelessly in the family area.

miles01110
Mar 23, 04:17 PM
Personally I find it hard to believe that so drunk as to warrant avoiding a checkpoint will be collected enough to use the app effectively in the first place.
MaxBurn
Dec 31, 08:52 AM
Not really necessary, yet. Forums here will inform most of us when something really nasty gets out there if ever, listen to the users not a campain.

madhatter61
Apr 28, 07:23 AM
Are there any Thuderbolt devices yet?
Yes ... it is called MacBook Pro. If you climb outside of the typical PC mentality of just added peripherals with higher data rates (you'll eventually get that) ... the bigger issue is in using the light weight, very mobile, long battery life Airs to do the initial creative input on the road ... then link them back to the big, high power computers to finish up the heavy rendering and post production work. Look at the refresh on Final Cut Pro. Look at Adobe's latest offerings ... all with leaning toward iOS. You'll like see a 30 pin adapter for iPad2 and above with thunderbolt out so they can be used as well. Apple is planning on selling more of its offerings and are speeding up the data exchange rates on high performance operations.
As apple goes cloud backup the need for high data transfer rates goes way up.
The bottle neck right now is the carriers both in speed and cost.
Yes ... it is called MacBook Pro. If you climb outside of the typical PC mentality of just added peripherals with higher data rates (you'll eventually get that) ... the bigger issue is in using the light weight, very mobile, long battery life Airs to do the initial creative input on the road ... then link them back to the big, high power computers to finish up the heavy rendering and post production work. Look at the refresh on Final Cut Pro. Look at Adobe's latest offerings ... all with leaning toward iOS. You'll like see a 30 pin adapter for iPad2 and above with thunderbolt out so they can be used as well. Apple is planning on selling more of its offerings and are speeding up the data exchange rates on high performance operations.
As apple goes cloud backup the need for high data transfer rates goes way up.
The bottle neck right now is the carriers both in speed and cost.
Multimedia
Sep 11, 09:04 PM
I agree - this is really something. As has been noted, it's just huge the increase in a short amount of time - the original Core release was only a short while back, then Core 2 Duo - which just made it into the iMacs - and now the Core 2 Quad release date of Mid-October! The pace is just astounding.
Not only that, but as Arn and others note, the Quad Xeons are on the way as well. So, there is the path for 8 core Mac Pros in the very near future.
Quad core iMacs, 8 core PMs (opps, I mean Mac Pros) - oh my.
This amazing chip release rate - and significant increases each - will really put Apple to the test in terms of updating products quickly to stay competitive in terms of hardware release. In the past, Apple had to deal with chip upgrades so infrequently. It's a great problem to have, I suppose.
I also echo the comments above re: isn't this the kind of thing that makes you glad Apple switched to Intel? Absolutely.Thank you. Over on page 13 of the September 12th Event Predictions (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2821628&postcount=302) string they are insulting me as insane and that this is no biggie. :eek:
I think they've all gone Movie Store iPod Nano crazy. If I had just pulled the trigger on an iMac or a Mac Pro I think I would be a little sick to hear this news. I guess we can speculate Apple could be late to the C2Q systems party. But I agree with you they really need to be on time given we all know the C2Q processor is out there.
I think what we're seeing is a flood of new generation processors hitting the streets in rapid fire succession that won't always be quite as often in future.
Not only that, but as Arn and others note, the Quad Xeons are on the way as well. So, there is the path for 8 core Mac Pros in the very near future.
Quad core iMacs, 8 core PMs (opps, I mean Mac Pros) - oh my.
This amazing chip release rate - and significant increases each - will really put Apple to the test in terms of updating products quickly to stay competitive in terms of hardware release. In the past, Apple had to deal with chip upgrades so infrequently. It's a great problem to have, I suppose.
I also echo the comments above re: isn't this the kind of thing that makes you glad Apple switched to Intel? Absolutely.Thank you. Over on page 13 of the September 12th Event Predictions (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2821628&postcount=302) string they are insulting me as insane and that this is no biggie. :eek:
I think they've all gone Movie Store iPod Nano crazy. If I had just pulled the trigger on an iMac or a Mac Pro I think I would be a little sick to hear this news. I guess we can speculate Apple could be late to the C2Q systems party. But I agree with you they really need to be on time given we all know the C2Q processor is out there.
I think what we're seeing is a flood of new generation processors hitting the streets in rapid fire succession that won't always be quite as often in future.
Benjy91
Apr 25, 01:36 PM
Hilarious to all those people who jumped on the THUNDERBOLT bandwagon. No thunderbolt devices yet and they have the hideous old case design.
:rolleyes:
Yes because they forked out all that money for ONLY the Thunderbolt port for higher transfer speeds.
Not for a faster, better high-end machine. :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:
Yes because they forked out all that money for ONLY the Thunderbolt port for higher transfer speeds.
Not for a faster, better high-end machine. :rolleyes:
Tomacorno
Mar 23, 05:00 PM
I hope this does not make it harder to get my app approved. iBurgle, tells you where all the squads are in a 3 mile radius.
racer1441
Apr 4, 12:38 PM
Good on the cop. Criminals are scum. Got what he deserved.
Rigby
Apr 20, 11:52 AM
Unless I'm missing it in the thread, I didn't see anything on this particular question. Does anyone know if this database on the iPhone is accessible by apps? ie. can you download some app that then scans the database and uploads your information elsewhere behind the scenes?Only if the device is jailbroken. Normally, there is a "sandbox" in place that prevents apps from accessing system files (and files belonging to other apps). Jailbreaking effectively disables this sandbox.

No comments:
Post a Comment