
wacky4alanis
Nov 4, 04:17 PM
It is cheaper to buy a standalone unit. But then you have to carry around 2 things instead of 1. For some people (including me), that is the major selling point of using the iPhone for navigation. I don't like bringing stuff with me when I travel. The more my iPhone can do, the less junk I need to take with me. It has already replaced my iPod and my laptop. If it can replace my Garmin too, I'm willing to pay extra to make it work.
As for the apps that download maps on the fly, I'm not interested in those as my ONLY navigation solution. There are plenty of places I drive that don't have any cell coverage at all, let alone 3G. I want an app that has the maps preloaded. I haven't decided between the available apps yet, but I am leaning towards Navigon. If their traffic thingy works well, I'll most likely go that route.
As for the apps that download maps on the fly, I'm not interested in those as my ONLY navigation solution. There are plenty of places I drive that don't have any cell coverage at all, let alone 3G. I want an app that has the maps preloaded. I haven't decided between the available apps yet, but I am leaning towards Navigon. If their traffic thingy works well, I'll most likely go that route.

Snowcat001
May 7, 01:07 PM
It's free if you think giving Google all of your privacy and identity is worth the 'price' :p
I'm not giving anything, all names etc. can be fake, no real info is needed.
The only thing they really know is the IP-adress I most often use to get on the net. :-)
I'm not giving anything, all names etc. can be fake, no real info is needed.
The only thing they really know is the IP-adress I most often use to get on the net. :-)

Jape
Nov 12, 08:57 AM
You know, I was a lil mad at first when I saw that, but the facts are that Apple wasn't going to ship theirs until Nov 25th with a Dec 2nd estimated arrival date, and for saving $40.00 I'm willing to wait a few extra days.
And at this point.. like the previous poster said.. $87.00 is worth it for me when regular mounts without anything are around $40, so $87 is decent for bluetooth, GPS chip and cool look/setup.. however $120 ($130 when adding in tax) just isn't worth it in my opinion.
Yea I agree with you about the price being worth it, Im not going anywhere important soon either... Lol, but I did call the apple retail store and they do have them in stock now.
And at this point.. like the previous poster said.. $87.00 is worth it for me when regular mounts without anything are around $40, so $87 is decent for bluetooth, GPS chip and cool look/setup.. however $120 ($130 when adding in tax) just isn't worth it in my opinion.
Yea I agree with you about the price being worth it, Im not going anywhere important soon either... Lol, but I did call the apple retail store and they do have them in stock now.

dukebound85
Apr 10, 09:05 PM
Really.
So the government has use of your money all year, and you're OK with that?? :confused:
edit: to stay out of prsi but l am not against helping maintain society via taxes and other similar ways such as this
So the government has use of your money all year, and you're OK with that?? :confused:
edit: to stay out of prsi but l am not against helping maintain society via taxes and other similar ways such as this

ChickenSwartz
Aug 12, 06:32 PM
You're wrong. The promotion is for ANY mac before September 16, as Nuks said. They can't (and won't) change the terms of the promotion before it expires.
My thoughts exactly. The offer is valid for ANY Mac. They loose pratically no money on the Nano if the person buys on the iTunes store.
I'm planning to order a MBP and a nano right after Paris. If MBPs come out before Paris, I'm still going to wait to see if they revise the nano...that would make up for the 3 months of waiting to get the MBP.
I am ordering MBP as soon as they are updated OR Sept. 12th after Keynote which ever is first. I don't really care about the updated Nano, I am giving it away as a gift.
My thoughts exactly. The offer is valid for ANY Mac. They loose pratically no money on the Nano if the person buys on the iTunes store.
I'm planning to order a MBP and a nano right after Paris. If MBPs come out before Paris, I'm still going to wait to see if they revise the nano...that would make up for the 3 months of waiting to get the MBP.
I am ordering MBP as soon as they are updated OR Sept. 12th after Keynote which ever is first. I don't really care about the updated Nano, I am giving it away as a gift.

Machead III
Sep 11, 06:47 AM
Jeez, why do people think Apple will make the movie store/movie management part of iTunes? That would be the worst decision ever, the two mediums and two markets are so vastly different they need two seperate apps!
If Apple can just release an iTunes-like app combining Delicious Library style management with playback and the movie store, they've got a winner.
Bungle it in with the music store like they do with TV shows and keep the horrific video management in iTunes to manage them and a lot of people will be sick of it before long.
If Apple can just release an iTunes-like app combining Delicious Library style management with playback and the movie store, they've got a winner.
Bungle it in with the music store like they do with TV shows and keep the horrific video management in iTunes to manage them and a lot of people will be sick of it before long.

MythicFrost
Apr 24, 08:07 AM
This would be awesome. It'd drastically reduce the need for AA and allow for much more detailed textures :D
Would need some horse power though... even a GTX 580 would struggle at that resolution on max with Metro 2033 :p
Would need some horse power though... even a GTX 580 would struggle at that resolution on max with Metro 2033 :p
kavika411
Apr 19, 01:11 PM
Everyone does pay taxes. The statement that 40+% of the population paid no taxes is a lie. They may have paid no Federal Income Taxes, but that does NOT mean they paid no taxes.
That is a fair point.
Perhaps the question is this. For those people who pay no federal income taxes, what other federal taxes do they pay? Since you are a tax attorney, I'm guessing you may have a good link.
That is a fair point.
Perhaps the question is this. For those people who pay no federal income taxes, what other federal taxes do they pay? Since you are a tax attorney, I'm guessing you may have a good link.

unlinked
Apr 25, 11:14 AM
Correct, and that's why Steve is telling the truth unlike the trolls pretending this is an Apple conspiracy. That file is stuck on your hard disk and goes nowhere. Delete it and you don't even have that (as I did months ago when this story first broke). I tried the mapping tool and it won't work on my machine because consolidated.db cannot be found. Yet my iPhone works just fine, and Location Services works fine too.
Apple has never grabbed this information.
Android, on the other hand, exists so that it can serve advertiser's needs. Apple has been Opt In, but Android is Opt Out, which means your data gets transmitted to advertisers by default. You bet they track you on Droids. That's the entire business model.
So the database exists for no reason at all? Sounds somewhat unlikely to me.
Apple has never grabbed this information.
Android, on the other hand, exists so that it can serve advertiser's needs. Apple has been Opt In, but Android is Opt Out, which means your data gets transmitted to advertisers by default. You bet they track you on Droids. That's the entire business model.
So the database exists for no reason at all? Sounds somewhat unlikely to me.

maelstromr
Apr 5, 04:21 PM
Nope Apple is the ruler of all.
The master of the universe and the company that knows better than you do.
Just notice how they act.
What they censor and how hypocritical they are.
Only Uncle Steve can give you permission and he's never going to do that.
He's GOD according to many fanboys here...
All Hail Apple! (no special symbols needed). :) ha ha ha ha ha
You could just stop buying their stuff...I hear Windows phones need some friends.
The master of the universe and the company that knows better than you do.
Just notice how they act.
What they censor and how hypocritical they are.
Only Uncle Steve can give you permission and he's never going to do that.
He's GOD according to many fanboys here...
All Hail Apple! (no special symbols needed). :) ha ha ha ha ha
You could just stop buying their stuff...I hear Windows phones need some friends.

bushido
Apr 7, 11:05 AM
went to some random iPad 2 retailer here in germany today, no problem getting any ... if only i had the money :-/ student fml

LagunaSol
Apr 18, 05:02 PM
WRONG.
The LG Prada was announced in September 6 months ahead of iPhone1 announcement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada_%28KE850%29).
Odd, the link you included in your argument states the Prada was "announced" on December 12, 2006.
The iPhone was announced on January 9, less than one month later.
And the Prada looks more like a BlackBerry than an iPhone to me. The Prada and iPhone are almost nothing alike, aside from the size and shape of the earhole.
The LG Prada was announced in September 6 months ahead of iPhone1 announcement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada_%28KE850%29).
Odd, the link you included in your argument states the Prada was "announced" on December 12, 2006.
The iPhone was announced on January 9, less than one month later.
And the Prada looks more like a BlackBerry than an iPhone to me. The Prada and iPhone are almost nothing alike, aside from the size and shape of the earhole.

Yamcha
Mar 29, 02:09 PM
Are you serious? who cares about ipods & battery shortages when there is a crysis =/..
Ja Di ksw
Apr 10, 08:12 AM
I had to click on this to see how the **** so many pages could be on a simple math problem. To those who got 288, kudos. To those who got 2, you're wrong. Sorry, no offense, but it's very simple math. Fivetoedsloth, dukebound85, others are right, with multiplication and division (or addition and subtraction) it goes from left to right.
Also, if you trust your Mac more than google, copy and paste the question into mac's Grapher program. It displays it correctly (with the 48 above the 2 and 9+3 off to the side) and gives you 288.
Also, if you trust your Mac more than google, copy and paste the question into mac's Grapher program. It displays it correctly (with the 48 above the 2 and 9+3 off to the side) and gives you 288.

munkery
Nov 3, 01:49 PM
what we have to remember is that there have been a number of vulernabilities in iOS that have been exploited in order to jailbreak iOS devices (these vulnerabilities in many cases are also common to OSX as they spring from the same codebase), these exploits do provide the ability to gain root access to OSX and hence provide an avenue to install software (without the users knowledge) that could be used to cause the theft or destruction of data.
iOS is 32bit. Many security mitigations in 32bit processes can often be defeated via bruteforce. Snow Leopard is mostly 64bit. 64bit processes have more security mitigations and have not yet been exploited. So, that is why many iOS exploits do not show up in OS X.
iOS is 32bit. Many security mitigations in 32bit processes can often be defeated via bruteforce. Snow Leopard is mostly 64bit. 64bit processes have more security mitigations and have not yet been exploited. So, that is why many iOS exploits do not show up in OS X.

~Shard~
Aug 11, 02:27 PM
it doesn't matter if you have a 64-bit processor and OS, you have to have 4Gb of RAM to run in 64-bit.
No you don't. :rolleyes: You can take advanatge of having more than 4 GB of RAM when running in a 64-bit environment, but you do not need it. The above statement is completely incorrect. :cool:
No you don't. :rolleyes: You can take advanatge of having more than 4 GB of RAM when running in a 64-bit environment, but you do not need it. The above statement is completely incorrect. :cool:

tazinlwfl
Apr 25, 10:14 AM
Wow, I just realised I've been on this forum for quite a while.
I've been reading MacRumors since about 02 (Highschool for me)... :p
I've been reading MacRumors since about 02 (Highschool for me)... :p

navguy
Dec 12, 11:43 AM
I find I am getting a hissing noise when hooked up using car speakers for playing music. It's a new cable and I have no idea if it's the car connection; the car kit; or the cable.
Hoping to get car kit for Xmas, but i'm not suprised by 'noise' coming through the 'line out' ... when a device cradle has antennae (GPS) / broadcast (bluetooth) electronics near by they can interfere. (my other experience with this is a portable XM radio w/ cradle holder - and could never get line out to not his, had to use fixed mount to car antennae for best transfer of sound).
Hopefully others are not having this problem, and you can exchange as defect.
Good luck, may be joining you in a couple weeks ...
New question ... since the phone is linked via bluetooth to the Car Kit, does the bluetooth engage even if you don't place the phone in the device? ... if it's still in pocket, does a call ring through the speaker of the Car Kit when in the car?
Hoping to get car kit for Xmas, but i'm not suprised by 'noise' coming through the 'line out' ... when a device cradle has antennae (GPS) / broadcast (bluetooth) electronics near by they can interfere. (my other experience with this is a portable XM radio w/ cradle holder - and could never get line out to not his, had to use fixed mount to car antennae for best transfer of sound).
Hopefully others are not having this problem, and you can exchange as defect.
Good luck, may be joining you in a couple weeks ...
New question ... since the phone is linked via bluetooth to the Car Kit, does the bluetooth engage even if you don't place the phone in the device? ... if it's still in pocket, does a call ring through the speaker of the Car Kit when in the car?

tuna
Mar 29, 08:56 AM
Dang... I feel like $80 a month is a LOT of money for 1TB of space. Especially when you can pay $70 ONCE and get your own 1TB drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822324041&cm_re=1tb-_-22-324-041-_-Product
Of course there are many benefits of having your data "in the cloud," but I think their prices are way too high.
The price is actually amazing. MobileMe is $100/year for 20GB. Amazon is $20/year for the same storage plus Amazon is running a promotion through the end of the year where if you buy a digital album from Amazon, you get 1 free year of 20GB of storage.
Dropbox is $100/year for 50GB or $200/year for 100GB. Amazon is now offering storage for half those prices. This is going to be devastating for Dropbox since they actually run their entire system off of Amazon Web Services.
Cloud storage isn't comparable to buying a hard drive. Cloud storage includes redundancy, bandwidth, and syncing tools that add a lot of value. Plus of course the electricity and servers processing power necessary to access the hard drives.
I hope that Amazon either copies Dropbox's syncing technology or otherwise buys them out and integrates it. Dropbox is already amazing. At half the price its even better.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822324041&cm_re=1tb-_-22-324-041-_-Product
Of course there are many benefits of having your data "in the cloud," but I think their prices are way too high.
The price is actually amazing. MobileMe is $100/year for 20GB. Amazon is $20/year for the same storage plus Amazon is running a promotion through the end of the year where if you buy a digital album from Amazon, you get 1 free year of 20GB of storage.
Dropbox is $100/year for 50GB or $200/year for 100GB. Amazon is now offering storage for half those prices. This is going to be devastating for Dropbox since they actually run their entire system off of Amazon Web Services.
Cloud storage isn't comparable to buying a hard drive. Cloud storage includes redundancy, bandwidth, and syncing tools that add a lot of value. Plus of course the electricity and servers processing power necessary to access the hard drives.
I hope that Amazon either copies Dropbox's syncing technology or otherwise buys them out and integrates it. Dropbox is already amazing. At half the price its even better.
DotCom2
Apr 20, 09:39 AM
Looks like a specs upgrade to me. I�ll most likely skip this and buy the next revision. :)
If this rumor is true and there is only going to be a spec bump, then I think a lot of people will feel this way and Apple knows this! Therefore, I think they will put some "gotta have" feature in iOS5 that will only be compatible with the new iPhone 5. Something like.......(your guess here).
3D maybe?
If this rumor is true and there is only going to be a spec bump, then I think a lot of people will feel this way and Apple knows this! Therefore, I think they will put some "gotta have" feature in iOS5 that will only be compatible with the new iPhone 5. Something like.......(your guess here).
3D maybe?
rdowns
Apr 5, 01:17 PM
Honestly, I hope Toyota tells Apple to stuff it.
Lame. You can be sure Toyota will capitulate to the Apple strong arm.
Not surprised! Toyota should not take it!
+++
I love Apple for many reasons, but I also have a hard time with some of their ideology.
Don't give in Toyota!
Its our devices, and if we want to modify them for our own use, so be it.
Does anyone read the stories before commenting on them anymore? :rolleyes:
You didn't even need to click to read the full story.
Toyota had agreed to do so to "maintain their good relationship with Apple," our Velti contact told me on the phone.
Lame. You can be sure Toyota will capitulate to the Apple strong arm.
Not surprised! Toyota should not take it!
+++
I love Apple for many reasons, but I also have a hard time with some of their ideology.
Don't give in Toyota!
Its our devices, and if we want to modify them for our own use, so be it.
Does anyone read the stories before commenting on them anymore? :rolleyes:
You didn't even need to click to read the full story.
Toyota had agreed to do so to "maintain their good relationship with Apple," our Velti contact told me on the phone.
jholzner
Aug 11, 03:04 PM
it doesn't matter if you have a 64-bit processor and OS, you have to have 4Gb of RAM to run in 64-bit.
Not true. From Wikipedia:
A common misconception is that 64-bit architectures are no better than 32-bit architectures unless the computer has more than 4 GB of memory. This is not entirely true:
Not true. From Wikipedia:
A common misconception is that 64-bit architectures are no better than 32-bit architectures unless the computer has more than 4 GB of memory. This is not entirely true:
iScott428
Mar 29, 04:49 PM
Do you two have any hard data to suggest this is actually true in this case? Considering this company is planning to expand to the US and China, what evidence do you have suggest that its dangerous?
I am sure I could find some, but really you do not believe that battery production has some nasty byproducts? For instance it does more environmental damage to make Hybrid car batteries and get them into the vehicle than the car would ever save on energy usage through its life.
I am sure I could find some, but really you do not believe that battery production has some nasty byproducts? For instance it does more environmental damage to make Hybrid car batteries and get them into the vehicle than the car would ever save on energy usage through its life.
Unspeaked
Aug 11, 11:28 AM
Both the iMac and the MBP have been out longer than the Mini. The MBP has received slight CPU updates but the iMac has been out going on 8 months with no update at all.
Well yeah, but my point was they're going to move the pro lines to the Core 2 Duos before the consumer lines, regardless of the length of release.
Well yeah, but my point was they're going to move the pro lines to the Core 2 Duos before the consumer lines, regardless of the length of release.

No comments:
Post a Comment