altquark
Apr 25, 01:19 PM
This just threw a spanner into my plans !
I've got a late 2007 non-unibody MBP - the "ultimate" which I've been updating as much as possible (Hybrid SSD 512Gb drive, 4Gb memory, etc etc) - I love my MBP but my applecare warranty just ran out last month. Which, I thought, was plenty timely so I could get the new MBP that just refreshed - quad core, 16Gb RAM seems like a LOT more power !
But, I didn't "jump" immediately - I always wait a couple of months to see what issues develop with the product line (the 17" range seems to have some graphics issues evidently, which seem to be resolved now) - BUT, with this rumor, do I plump down $4k for a maxed-out MBP now or wait until this new case design ?!?!?!
My current MBP is working great. The keyboard has a sticky "D" key, but apart from that, its been the best laptop I've ever owned, and the second longest I've owned before a refresh (the prior record holder was a Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX which I used/upgraded/refreshed a full 5 years before needing to upgrade !)
So what do I do ? I wasn't planning on buying the MBP until next month, after I got back from vacation...
I've got a late 2007 non-unibody MBP - the "ultimate" which I've been updating as much as possible (Hybrid SSD 512Gb drive, 4Gb memory, etc etc) - I love my MBP but my applecare warranty just ran out last month. Which, I thought, was plenty timely so I could get the new MBP that just refreshed - quad core, 16Gb RAM seems like a LOT more power !
But, I didn't "jump" immediately - I always wait a couple of months to see what issues develop with the product line (the 17" range seems to have some graphics issues evidently, which seem to be resolved now) - BUT, with this rumor, do I plump down $4k for a maxed-out MBP now or wait until this new case design ?!?!?!
My current MBP is working great. The keyboard has a sticky "D" key, but apart from that, its been the best laptop I've ever owned, and the second longest I've owned before a refresh (the prior record holder was a Sony Vaio PCG-V505BX which I used/upgraded/refreshed a full 5 years before needing to upgrade !)
So what do I do ? I wasn't planning on buying the MBP until next month, after I got back from vacation...
gnasher729
Jul 19, 03:08 AM
Why wouldn't they just use Conroe? It's not like the chips are expensive, they have the same thermal output and a bigger L2 cache. I'm expecting a 2.4Ghz 17' and a 2.66Ghz 20'. Which would work out cheaper than using 2.16Ghz and 2.33Ghz Meroms.
The only problem with Conroe vs. Merom in an iMac is the heat production. I am sure it is possible to keep an iMac with a Conroe cool enough. What I think is very hard to achieve is to keep it cool and quiet at the same time. I have never, ever _heard_ the iMac in my office, and that is really nice.
Of course it would be possible to put something into the Energy Saver Preferences like a "Keep Quiet" option. If selected, processing power could be cut down when the iMac gets too hot to be cooled down without making much noise. You would still have the potential to get full performance if you choose so.
The only problem with Conroe vs. Merom in an iMac is the heat production. I am sure it is possible to keep an iMac with a Conroe cool enough. What I think is very hard to achieve is to keep it cool and quiet at the same time. I have never, ever _heard_ the iMac in my office, and that is really nice.
Of course it would be possible to put something into the Energy Saver Preferences like a "Keep Quiet" option. If selected, processing power could be cut down when the iMac gets too hot to be cooled down without making much noise. You would still have the potential to get full performance if you choose so.
Eidorian
Jul 15, 03:44 PM
I did, at the time, it said mid-product cycle. And I had to have the computer for school, so I had to get it then. I'm just sad.Well I don't have a computer right now either. So I have to get one for school too. I'm holding out until WWDC at least. If I'm lucky maybe even Apple Expo Paris. I doubt that one though. Unless work buys me a computer.
Amazing Iceman
Apr 4, 11:59 AM
I guess those countless long nights playing CS have finally paid off.
"HEAD SHOT!"
"Counter-Terrorists Win!"
"HEAD SHOT!"
"Counter-Terrorists Win!"
MattyMac
Sep 4, 09:56 PM
Read on and be wowed:
Sweeeeeeeeeet!
I can't wait to see the invitations...let alone the new products.
...and the day before my birthday too:p
Sweeeeeeeeeet!
I can't wait to see the invitations...let alone the new products.
...and the day before my birthday too:p
Popeye206
Apr 19, 08:51 AM
Too bad Apple couldn't just ask Samsung to behave themselves... Maybe they did?
I don't know about you, but it's pretty obvious to me that the Samsung devices pictured here are a clear and blatant rip-off of Apple's designs and interface. At least other Android devices had some differentiating elements. Not so here. Even a monkey could see Samsung stealing Apple's bananas in this case.
So you know, before you sue, you issue a "Cease" letter explaining your claim and asking the offending company to stop. So in essence, they did ask. It's part of the process.
Really guys.... this is all just normal business. It amazes me when people get up in arms either way. Valid patents and technology innovations need to protected by their owners... otherwise they are fools to let others copy them... especially when you do have the hottest single product out there. Apple worked hard to get where they are and to just let others copy freely would be stupid on Apple's part.
With that said, I'm saying the above as a "fanboy" but as someone in the software industry and value the things I've done in the past and patents we've had.
I don't know about you, but it's pretty obvious to me that the Samsung devices pictured here are a clear and blatant rip-off of Apple's designs and interface. At least other Android devices had some differentiating elements. Not so here. Even a monkey could see Samsung stealing Apple's bananas in this case.
So you know, before you sue, you issue a "Cease" letter explaining your claim and asking the offending company to stop. So in essence, they did ask. It's part of the process.
Really guys.... this is all just normal business. It amazes me when people get up in arms either way. Valid patents and technology innovations need to protected by their owners... otherwise they are fools to let others copy them... especially when you do have the hottest single product out there. Apple worked hard to get where they are and to just let others copy freely would be stupid on Apple's part.
With that said, I'm saying the above as a "fanboy" but as someone in the software industry and value the things I've done in the past and patents we've had.
ipedro
Aug 23, 07:16 PM
Maybe not, but why do I think Apple could have bought the entire company for that kind of dough?
They still can. Apple can turn around tomorrow and buy Creative for what it's worth and would have in essence paid itself the $100M. :D
They still can. Apple can turn around tomorrow and buy Creative for what it's worth and would have in essence paid itself the $100M. :D
Peace
Sep 5, 01:05 PM
But the online store that I linked to (www.apple.com/store) reflects products that are sold for U.S. customers. What are European regulations going to do in the States?
Because Apple has to redesign the Airport Extreme.
They cant make one for the U.S. and another for Europe.;)
It's the same for the firewire iSight.
Because Apple has to redesign the Airport Extreme.
They cant make one for the U.S. and another for Europe.;)
It's the same for the firewire iSight.
EricNau
Sep 19, 11:12 PM
I downloaded 1 movie (FlightPlan) to test the system out, but I won't be buying anymore until it is at least DVD quality (640 x 272 isn't close enough).
It's bad enough buying a movie without a case, hardcopy, or any bonus features, but to top it off, it isn't even DVD quality... and for that I pay $10?
Why is Apple always cutting corners? They get so close to great things, but not close enough.
It's bad enough buying a movie without a case, hardcopy, or any bonus features, but to top it off, it isn't even DVD quality... and for that I pay $10?
Why is Apple always cutting corners? They get so close to great things, but not close enough.
patsfan83
Mar 30, 12:06 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/app
278891
I think this is enough to show that Microsoft is unequivocally correct. The term has been in use for much longer than Apple's launching of the store and it has been ubiquitous in the computer industry for a long time.
The way to distinguish (if it needs to be done) between app stores is by saying the name of the app store before hand, ie the Apple App Store, the Amazon App Store, or the Microsoft App Store.
How long has Apple been using .app as an extension for applications?
278891
I think this is enough to show that Microsoft is unequivocally correct. The term has been in use for much longer than Apple's launching of the store and it has been ubiquitous in the computer industry for a long time.
The way to distinguish (if it needs to be done) between app stores is by saying the name of the app store before hand, ie the Apple App Store, the Amazon App Store, or the Microsoft App Store.
How long has Apple been using .app as an extension for applications?
Silencio
Oct 12, 01:18 PM
I'll probably come of sounding like a jerk and opening a HUGE can of worms with this, BUT...
I'm glad somebody else was thinking what I was thinking! Why do we constantly have to place a line between men and women, black and white, American and everyone else. If we actually want equality and unity and all those wonderful things, I think it's about time we stop dilineating between groups of people.
It can't be both ways... if women/minorities want equality in the work place, or government, or in society as a whole, there can't also be inequality in the world when it comes to things like this... men and women, black and white, straight and gay - they have to be equal across the board, or not at all. We can't have it both ways.
Maybe because all across the globe, women and children are hugely disadvantaged economically and socially in comparison to men? People who need more help should get more help. People who don't need help shouldn't complain about it. As much as I want it to happen, "equality" is never going to happen in this world, at least the way it's currently structured.
"Empathy" is a four-letter word in America, sadly.
I'm glad somebody else was thinking what I was thinking! Why do we constantly have to place a line between men and women, black and white, American and everyone else. If we actually want equality and unity and all those wonderful things, I think it's about time we stop dilineating between groups of people.
It can't be both ways... if women/minorities want equality in the work place, or government, or in society as a whole, there can't also be inequality in the world when it comes to things like this... men and women, black and white, straight and gay - they have to be equal across the board, or not at all. We can't have it both ways.
Maybe because all across the globe, women and children are hugely disadvantaged economically and socially in comparison to men? People who need more help should get more help. People who don't need help shouldn't complain about it. As much as I want it to happen, "equality" is never going to happen in this world, at least the way it's currently structured.
"Empathy" is a four-letter word in America, sadly.
soosy
Sep 19, 02:42 PM
Hmm mixed feelings about this.
I want them to be successful, but I also want:
- DVD extras
- HD resolution
- burnable to disc
- rental system
I hope success won't lull them into thinking the current restrictions are ok. :(
Oh well, I can stick with DVDs.
I want them to be successful, but I also want:
- DVD extras
- HD resolution
- burnable to disc
- rental system
I hope success won't lull them into thinking the current restrictions are ok. :(
Oh well, I can stick with DVDs.
Lepton
Sep 13, 10:11 PM
Take a PSP. Chop the two ends off that hold the game controls. You have about a 3"x4"x.75 16:9 unit, all screen. User replaceable battery, openable back. quad GSM. Bluetooth. Touch screen, pressure sensitive to sense clicks. Touch brings up on-screen controls, translucent. Can bring up traditional number buttons, or a contacts list with a click wheel scroller. Speaker makes subtle click sounds like Mighty Mouse. Internet browser. EMail. The usual phone PDA stuff. *nix OS.
Apple starts a virtual carrier in its huge new data center. Does perfect syncing, has all you can eat Internet at 3G speeds.
It's also an iPod. Hard disk. Virtual click wheel. Stereo Bluetooth. iPod dock port. Headphone jack. Hold switch. No WiFi. Bluetooth will be extended soon to have more range and speed.
It's also a video iPod. Wide screen. Virtual click wheel. Plays movies.
It's also an IR remote for CE stuff and Macs. Interface ala Harmony Remote. IR port.
It's also an Apple Remote Desktop. Links to any Mac, puts 2nd Mac screen on the device. Controls your Mac through touch guestures, Apple Speech Recognition, Apple Text to Speech, through phone mik/spkr or Bluetooth headset. Hooks over Bluetooth if Mac is close, GPRS/3G connection of Mac is distant. File transfer too.
$500.
Apple starts a virtual carrier in its huge new data center. Does perfect syncing, has all you can eat Internet at 3G speeds.
It's also an iPod. Hard disk. Virtual click wheel. Stereo Bluetooth. iPod dock port. Headphone jack. Hold switch. No WiFi. Bluetooth will be extended soon to have more range and speed.
It's also a video iPod. Wide screen. Virtual click wheel. Plays movies.
It's also an IR remote for CE stuff and Macs. Interface ala Harmony Remote. IR port.
It's also an Apple Remote Desktop. Links to any Mac, puts 2nd Mac screen on the device. Controls your Mac through touch guestures, Apple Speech Recognition, Apple Text to Speech, through phone mik/spkr or Bluetooth headset. Hooks over Bluetooth if Mac is close, GPRS/3G connection of Mac is distant. File transfer too.
$500.
tatonka
Mar 24, 09:01 AM
I don't get peoples fascination with thunderbolt. Besides that it is new, it is pretty much useless right now. I agree that it is a cool port once they come out with the suitable accessories .. but til then, I couldn't care less.
The one thing I would like to see is the thunderbolt mag safe adapter as basically a one plug docking station .. not sure that is ever going to see the daylight though.
T.
The one thing I would like to see is the thunderbolt mag safe adapter as basically a one plug docking station .. not sure that is ever going to see the daylight though.
T.
whooleytoo
Oct 12, 03:58 PM
Maybe because all across the globe, women and children are hugely disadvantaged economically and socially in comparison to men? People who need more help should get more help.
Generally, that's a good point. But in this case I don't think it's significant: your average adult male in Africa is likely to be more affluent than the average adult female (or child), sure - but it's not as if he can afford quality healthcare either!
It's just people at two different levels of poverty, neither of whom can afford the healthcare they need.
Generally, that's a good point. But in this case I don't think it's significant: your average adult male in Africa is likely to be more affluent than the average adult female (or child), sure - but it's not as if he can afford quality healthcare either!
It's just people at two different levels of poverty, neither of whom can afford the healthcare they need.
midiman
Sep 12, 03:43 PM
You can return ANY apple product for a FULL refund if the product was updated within 10 days of the original purchase date!! Or you can get money back if the price was lowered!
Only on UNOPENED product. If you've opened it, you gotta pony up 10% restocking fee, if you bought from apple. They will refund money if there is a price drop in that timeframe, though.
Only on UNOPENED product. If you've opened it, you gotta pony up 10% restocking fee, if you bought from apple. They will refund money if there is a price drop in that timeframe, though.
HecubusPro
Aug 31, 11:53 AM
OBVIOUS NEWS STORY!!
Apple will hold a special event during a week long special event!!
Apple will hold a special event during a week long special event!!
roland.g
Aug 28, 04:22 PM
You don't hear this much crying in a hospital nursery.
dblissmn
Apr 25, 02:39 PM
Color me skeptical.
The current case is pretty good. There's room for improvement � questionable assembly of internal components, and above all the switch to a removal bottom rather than a removable top plate meant a serious weakness around the Ethernet and Firewire 800 port. These could easily be fixed by using, say, Indigo thermal pads instead of glopping on paste, and on the outside of the case ditching the Ethernet and Firewire for slimmer alternatives that don't weaken the case �*namely a second Thunderbolt port and having three USB ports (3.0 of course) that could support Gigabit Ethernet dongles. And then you recast it in LiquidMetal, and enable customers to decide up front whether they wanted the second drive bay to be blade-SSD or optical, leaving the traditional drive in the first bay.
What you'd have then is the strongest, best designed full-featured laptop case in the business. It's not a major change, but a refinement that adds both strength and versatility to an already good design.
But I fear what Apple has in mind is basically an entire range of Macbook Air laptops. The Air is a fine computer, no doubt, but it's not the portable desktop I want and never can be without supporting two drives and discrete graphics in one way or another.
The current case is pretty good. There's room for improvement � questionable assembly of internal components, and above all the switch to a removal bottom rather than a removable top plate meant a serious weakness around the Ethernet and Firewire 800 port. These could easily be fixed by using, say, Indigo thermal pads instead of glopping on paste, and on the outside of the case ditching the Ethernet and Firewire for slimmer alternatives that don't weaken the case �*namely a second Thunderbolt port and having three USB ports (3.0 of course) that could support Gigabit Ethernet dongles. And then you recast it in LiquidMetal, and enable customers to decide up front whether they wanted the second drive bay to be blade-SSD or optical, leaving the traditional drive in the first bay.
What you'd have then is the strongest, best designed full-featured laptop case in the business. It's not a major change, but a refinement that adds both strength and versatility to an already good design.
But I fear what Apple has in mind is basically an entire range of Macbook Air laptops. The Air is a fine computer, no doubt, but it's not the portable desktop I want and never can be without supporting two drives and discrete graphics in one way or another.
BBC B 32k
Aug 28, 01:23 PM
my cat has told me that there will be a 23" chin-less iMac with the new Core 2 Duo chips, 1gig std, wireless kbd and mouse std. Or he is just hungry - hard to tell just what he is saying but he has friends in high places (trees mostly)
still heres hoping he's spot on
still heres hoping he's spot on
BWhaler
Aug 28, 11:01 PM
Well, I was disappointed, but not surprised.
Since no manufacturer is shipping until mid-September, it is no great shock that Apple did nothing today. Plus, they don't want to be grouped with those companies anyhow.
Since no manufacturer is shipping until mid-September, it is no great shock that Apple did nothing today. Plus, they don't want to be grouped with those companies anyhow.
apfhex
Sep 4, 06:53 PM
Insiders can only presume the device will take up the form of a video-enabled version of Apple's existing AirPort Express wireless base station, which lets users stream their iTunes music tracks from their computers to their home stereo receivers. It also acts as a wireless 802.11 router and printing hub.
This would quite possibly be the best thing ever if it worked well (it would have to at least output 720p, if that's even *possible* over 802.11g/whatever). I've been waiting for a device like that for a rather long time.
This would quite possibly be the best thing ever if it worked well (it would have to at least output 720p, if that's even *possible* over 802.11g/whatever). I've been waiting for a device like that for a rather long time.
Warbrain
Apr 20, 10:49 AM
Edited above. Re :gps
Thanks for actually updating it and replying to me. That's refreshing.
Thanks for actually updating it and replying to me. That's refreshing.
balamw
Sep 19, 02:02 PM
It took my Black MB about 70 mins to download "Deuce Bigalow". This was over a decent but not great motel WiFi setup, and I was downloading some other stuff for about half the time.
You were downloading Deuce Bigelow in 1080p, or in 640x480 from iTMS?
Sounds more like 640x480. So by extrapolation 1080p which has 6.75 as many pixels would be somewhere like 2.5-6 times as long to download. i.e. it could take up to 7 hours to download.
B
You were downloading Deuce Bigelow in 1080p, or in 640x480 from iTMS?
Sounds more like 640x480. So by extrapolation 1080p which has 6.75 as many pixels would be somewhere like 2.5-6 times as long to download. i.e. it could take up to 7 hours to download.
B
No comments:
Post a Comment