typecase
Aug 7, 04:42 PM
The power supply is on top like the rumor sites said it would be. This seems like a stupid design decision to me. The power cord will hang over everything else. They probably did it out of necessity, but my dual G5 is still prettier.
Also, with the move to intel, can I use the PC version of the same card?
Also, with the move to intel, can I use the PC version of the same card?
kgtenacious
Mar 30, 09:19 AM
Any one had trouble using Safari? I had to switch to Chrome to get the upload to work, but I have a few Safari Extensions installed.
bryanc
Sep 11, 10:56 AM
dont forget the mbp revision
that will never happen
I hope you don't mean "never"... but I agree it's not likely to be tomorrow, unless it's tossed in as an aside ("We've released a bunch of great new products today... but what I want to tell you about is how you can use them to access movies through iTMS....").
Someday they'll have to update the MBPs, and I'm hoping it will be soon, because I need a new laptop!
that will never happen
I hope you don't mean "never"... but I agree it's not likely to be tomorrow, unless it's tossed in as an aside ("We've released a bunch of great new products today... but what I want to tell you about is how you can use them to access movies through iTMS....").
Someday they'll have to update the MBPs, and I'm hoping it will be soon, because I need a new laptop!
DavidLeblond
Apr 25, 11:07 AM
$5 says the next version of iOS will include a process to truncate consolidated.db just like Android does for locdump. Its not that Apple is USING all this historical data, its just that they neglected to toss in a function to trim the file.
jonnysods
Apr 20, 06:46 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)
I'll skip this update unless it's an impressive one. Looking forward to a redesign.
I'll skip this update unless it's an impressive one. Looking forward to a redesign.

1984
Sep 11, 01:57 PM
What we should get:
Movie Service with 1280x720 movies, Airport Extreme AV with composite, s-video and hdmi outputs.
What we will get:
Movie service with 320x240 movies, Airport Express AV with compostie and s-video only.
:(
Movie Service with 1280x720 movies, Airport Extreme AV with composite, s-video and hdmi outputs.
What we will get:
Movie service with 320x240 movies, Airport Express AV with compostie and s-video only.
:(
xionxiox
Apr 26, 02:08 PM
Who cares? I thought this was macrumors not android news...
dXTC
Mar 29, 02:01 PM
Yeah you bring up a good point. I can't imagine assembling iPods is the most engaging activity ever, and most Americans would probably scoff at the kind of labor they seem to think is below them.
Kind of similar to when they raise an uproar about illegal immigrants taking all the jobs away, when they wouldn't be caught dead doing the kind of work some immigrants do.
Hammer, meet nail head. I'm an American, and unfortunately I must agree with iliketyla's assessment. There is this incredible sense of entitlement that has pervaded American culture. So many people want at least $20 per hour, but [insert deity or lack of one here] forbid they should lift more than two pounds.
Enter the illegal immigrants, who find the pay good enough to live on, not to mention the location, location, location. Hmm... $5 an hour harvesting lettuce heads for hours on end, or dodging drug-cartel bullets in Ciudad Juarez day and night. Not too tough a decision for me, and IMHO one worth the risk of getting caught by US border police.
Kind of similar to when they raise an uproar about illegal immigrants taking all the jobs away, when they wouldn't be caught dead doing the kind of work some immigrants do.
Hammer, meet nail head. I'm an American, and unfortunately I must agree with iliketyla's assessment. There is this incredible sense of entitlement that has pervaded American culture. So many people want at least $20 per hour, but [insert deity or lack of one here] forbid they should lift more than two pounds.
Enter the illegal immigrants, who find the pay good enough to live on, not to mention the location, location, location. Hmm... $5 an hour harvesting lettuce heads for hours on end, or dodging drug-cartel bullets in Ciudad Juarez day and night. Not too tough a decision for me, and IMHO one worth the risk of getting caught by US border police.
evil89
Apr 5, 04:39 PM
Anyway it's ********** ugly!

ezekielrage_99
Aug 4, 10:23 AM
I think we will see the Core 2 Duo in the iMac, Mac Pro and MacBook Pro line and before Xmas in everything else.
If this does happen it is certainly an excellent turn for Apple and the consumers getting the latest and greatest.
If this does happen it is certainly an excellent turn for Apple and the consumers getting the latest and greatest.

Steviejobz
Apr 25, 09:41 AM
Thankfully my AT&T coverage is so weak, there is no way Apple can track me.
So there!
So there!
RebootD
Mar 31, 12:26 AM
So what part of 'iOS' fluff do Versions, Air Drop, Mission Control, Auto Save and Lion Server fit under?
'Useful' UI improvements? So what would you consider useful? Personally full screen apps, a native application launcher that can be organized, and resume are all useful to me. Get out of the mindset that just because it originated from iOS means that it won't be useful.
Wasn't talking 'features' I was talking "user interface" as in getting rid of aqua, standardize their apps GUI etc.
As for 'features" Versions and Air drop are great but most of my apps already autosave or I do every 10 minutes, don't care about mission control, don't really care about full screen apps because I have many open at once side by side and I don't run a server.
'Useful' UI improvements? So what would you consider useful? Personally full screen apps, a native application launcher that can be organized, and resume are all useful to me. Get out of the mindset that just because it originated from iOS means that it won't be useful.
Wasn't talking 'features' I was talking "user interface" as in getting rid of aqua, standardize their apps GUI etc.
As for 'features" Versions and Air drop are great but most of my apps already autosave or I do every 10 minutes, don't care about mission control, don't really care about full screen apps because I have many open at once side by side and I don't run a server.
aldejesus
Mar 30, 08:50 PM
Installed fine on mine.
Thanks, will install as soon as the download finish.
Thanks, will install as soon as the download finish.
blow45
Mar 29, 03:47 PM
Could we please get the OOT people here discussing where apple should manufacture their products (or where they can manufacture their products) in separate thread. You guys are imposing here you know? This is a discussion about shortages due to the earthquake not manufacturing locales for apple. An earthquake could have hit the states as well...
gnasher729
Apr 25, 09:23 AM
So Steve is saying there is no database of locations? Thats just an outright lie.
I think Steve Jobs is someone who doesn't suffer idiots gladly. Note how he didn't say "there is no list of locations on people's iPhones", what he said was "we don't track anyone". The opposite of "we don't track anyone" is "Apple is tracking some people's movements". Do you have any evidence of this? Do you _believe_ it?
Just think about his statement. Then consider that 1. Steve Jobs is just slightly wiser and more intelligent than you and is more likely to have a clue what he is talking about and 2. Steve Jobs is the CEO of a major company and can't afford to lie in public.
I think Steve is outright lying about this.. I don't think most people aren't fond of this, including myself..
You are an anonymous poster on MacRumors. Steve Jobs is the CEO of a major company. You can say whatever you like. Steve Jobs can't. Plus whatever I said above.
I think Steve Jobs is someone who doesn't suffer idiots gladly. Note how he didn't say "there is no list of locations on people's iPhones", what he said was "we don't track anyone". The opposite of "we don't track anyone" is "Apple is tracking some people's movements". Do you have any evidence of this? Do you _believe_ it?
Just think about his statement. Then consider that 1. Steve Jobs is just slightly wiser and more intelligent than you and is more likely to have a clue what he is talking about and 2. Steve Jobs is the CEO of a major company and can't afford to lie in public.
I think Steve is outright lying about this.. I don't think most people aren't fond of this, including myself..
You are an anonymous poster on MacRumors. Steve Jobs is the CEO of a major company. You can say whatever you like. Steve Jobs can't. Plus whatever I said above.
Lesser Evets
May 4, 02:56 PM
Why is everyone freaking out about re-installing the OS? Lion creates a recovery partition as part of the install process. If you need to reinstall, just reboot and hold down option...pick the recovery partition and voila.
Does that work if the hard drive tanks and fumbles, crashes, burns, and is a useless pile of crap?
Does that work if the hard drive tanks and fumbles, crashes, burns, and is a useless pile of crap?

jholzner
Aug 4, 12:13 AM
Steve does not have to announce any new products to say they are going to shift to Core 2 across the board ASAP. :)
That's very true but my response wasn't to that statement but to this one:
"MBP Merom anyone? Appleinsider has always been reliable...so this may happen. This WWDC is gonna be great!"
I assumed that WWDC is going to be great because of MPB Merom which I don't think will be announced. :p
I could be wrong.
That's very true but my response wasn't to that statement but to this one:
"MBP Merom anyone? Appleinsider has always been reliable...so this may happen. This WWDC is gonna be great!"
I assumed that WWDC is going to be great because of MPB Merom which I don't think will be announced. :p
I could be wrong.

AppleAmerican
Mar 29, 04:38 PM
Most people here are missing the big picture. I'm pretty old and have witnessed the changes in the tech sector. Back in '01 a lot of laptops were made or at least assembled in the USA, and they were quality products, but with cheap foreign labor most global companies could not resist the couple of percent they could add to their profit margins by moving overseas. The company I worked for made laptops for a major name, but they closed the plant here to save between 3.00 and 6.00 dollars per unit, a very small percentage of the overall value. A company like Apple could easily, make and assemble products here, the profit margin on an iPhone is around 60%, but if they did that then there profit margin would only be 50%, corporate and political greed. There are companies here, that still compete, an example, American Apparel (http://americanapparel.net/), they manufacture clothing here competitively in a huge operation in California with good paying jobs and great quality. There are many others, it is all about balancing automation with traditional production, but it's impossible for anyone to compete with slave wages from companies like Foxconn.
Popeye206
Apr 5, 03:19 PM
Why all the hate for the jailbreak? Are you guys just too moronic to use it? Any iOS device is infinitely more capable when it is jailbroken. Without some of the apps in the Cydia store, many would say the iphone/ipad/touch is unusable. What is on your lockscreen all of you unjailbroken users? A measly clock? You cant access all your mail, notifications, calendar events, and the weather from your lockscreen? Are you serious? Oh you want to turn off bluetooth? You can't swipe across the bottom of the screen to toggle it? Want integrated google voice? Apple says no. Cydia says **** that, hell yes. I would wager that most of the jailbreak haters dont even know what its capable of nor have ever tried it before. Stay in your cave and watch shadows if you will. The rest of us will experience the real world.
Some of what you mention sounds cool... but I've never Jail Broke my iPhone and it runs just fine - far from unusable. Nice that you love all the mods, but it's not for everyone. No need to insult those who choose not to JB.
Some of what you mention sounds cool... but I've never Jail Broke my iPhone and it runs just fine - far from unusable. Nice that you love all the mods, but it's not for everyone. No need to insult those who choose not to JB.
mixel
Apr 26, 02:38 PM
I voted positive.. It's only good for us that there are multiple modern, solid, successful handheld OS around. I hope Win Mobile gets some share too.
Quite funny seeing Symbian dying by the side of the road too, I've never liked it much despite loving some of Nokia's hardware choices.
I prefer my Apple-land devices but I can see why some people don't. :) Bring on the competition. I like Apple's slow but steady and generally well implemented feature roll-outs too.. Agree about the notification system though, it needs replacing.
Quite funny seeing Symbian dying by the side of the road too, I've never liked it much despite loving some of Nokia's hardware choices.
I prefer my Apple-land devices but I can see why some people don't. :) Bring on the competition. I like Apple's slow but steady and generally well implemented feature roll-outs too.. Agree about the notification system though, it needs replacing.
snberk103
May 6, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by snberk103
You are entirely correct. There is really nothing that will make the daily life of an American citizen better 'cause their can of Bud is 331ml, or their corn-beef sandwich has 125gs of beef, and 12ml of mustard on two slices of rye, each 115mm thick.
Quite frankly I really don't understand why this attitude is necessary. Have I been rude or condescending towards you in this discussion? Has anyone else in this thread?
I think the most insulting part is that you couldn't even make a coherent point with this sarcasm. Are you trying to poke fun at random numbers in the imperial system? Arbitrary values in general? Americans who eat roast beef?
What sarcasm? I was being quite serious. I actually and honestly agree with you that it won't make the vast majority of anyone's life easier if they use metric. I was being a little silly with the numbers, true... but it was not meant as sarcasm. I was born in the US, and was there until I was in grade 5. I moved to Canada when it was still using Imperial measures. And I mean the real Imperial, as in British Empire, not the slightly different American versions. And you are entirely correct - I coped just fine with gallons and ounces, feet and miles, etc etc. The biggest problem I had was converting from Imperial to American gallons/quarts/pints - and trying to figure out if my measuring cup was made in the Canada - i.e. true Imperial, or in the USA. And if it was made in the USA, was it calibrated in American sized units or was it calibrated for export and in true Imperial. As a photographer mixing up developers, fixers, etc, these questions were important. I swapped to metric volumes soon as I could for this reason - not because I couldn't work in ounces, etc.
Oh you mean how you still have a queen as your sovereign? Or how you mandate bilingual education for a stark minority of French Canadians? Or how the United Kingdom still has an unwritten constitution? Or how half of Europe still has an official state church? Or how the French presume guilt rather than innocence? Or how Italy is still run by political machines?
Guilty as charged... though we like to think being bilingual is a good and modern thing. We also have quarter of our population that hasn't signed onto our constitution (unlike the UK, we at least wrote ours down - we just don't yet have it fully ratified yet - sigh)
Modernity is always a hindsight judgment. What should matter is if the system is not working for the people who use it. With private industries transitioning manufacturing to metric, the biggest argument in favor of the metric system is moot. The question then comes down to whether or not you are better positioned to judge what other people need or want.
Yes, I was poking some buttons there. It's one that is sure to get most Americans into a lather, too. My point about the "claiming to be modern", is that the USA spends a lot of time telling the rest of the world how great it is...and it is in many ways, no argument. But there are some areas where the rest of world is, um, "greater." (Tongue In Cheek!) It is annoying to the rest of the world when Americans travel and think our metric signage is "quaint"... (First hand experience). I believe that, by definition, it's not our signage that is quaint. :)
ps.... one of the defining characteristics of being Canadian is our smugness. Deserved or not, we already know it.
You are entirely correct. There is really nothing that will make the daily life of an American citizen better 'cause their can of Bud is 331ml, or their corn-beef sandwich has 125gs of beef, and 12ml of mustard on two slices of rye, each 115mm thick.
Quite frankly I really don't understand why this attitude is necessary. Have I been rude or condescending towards you in this discussion? Has anyone else in this thread?
I think the most insulting part is that you couldn't even make a coherent point with this sarcasm. Are you trying to poke fun at random numbers in the imperial system? Arbitrary values in general? Americans who eat roast beef?
What sarcasm? I was being quite serious. I actually and honestly agree with you that it won't make the vast majority of anyone's life easier if they use metric. I was being a little silly with the numbers, true... but it was not meant as sarcasm. I was born in the US, and was there until I was in grade 5. I moved to Canada when it was still using Imperial measures. And I mean the real Imperial, as in British Empire, not the slightly different American versions. And you are entirely correct - I coped just fine with gallons and ounces, feet and miles, etc etc. The biggest problem I had was converting from Imperial to American gallons/quarts/pints - and trying to figure out if my measuring cup was made in the Canada - i.e. true Imperial, or in the USA. And if it was made in the USA, was it calibrated in American sized units or was it calibrated for export and in true Imperial. As a photographer mixing up developers, fixers, etc, these questions were important. I swapped to metric volumes soon as I could for this reason - not because I couldn't work in ounces, etc.
Oh you mean how you still have a queen as your sovereign? Or how you mandate bilingual education for a stark minority of French Canadians? Or how the United Kingdom still has an unwritten constitution? Or how half of Europe still has an official state church? Or how the French presume guilt rather than innocence? Or how Italy is still run by political machines?
Guilty as charged... though we like to think being bilingual is a good and modern thing. We also have quarter of our population that hasn't signed onto our constitution (unlike the UK, we at least wrote ours down - we just don't yet have it fully ratified yet - sigh)
Modernity is always a hindsight judgment. What should matter is if the system is not working for the people who use it. With private industries transitioning manufacturing to metric, the biggest argument in favor of the metric system is moot. The question then comes down to whether or not you are better positioned to judge what other people need or want.
Yes, I was poking some buttons there. It's one that is sure to get most Americans into a lather, too. My point about the "claiming to be modern", is that the USA spends a lot of time telling the rest of the world how great it is...and it is in many ways, no argument. But there are some areas where the rest of world is, um, "greater." (Tongue In Cheek!) It is annoying to the rest of the world when Americans travel and think our metric signage is "quaint"... (First hand experience). I believe that, by definition, it's not our signage that is quaint. :)
ps.... one of the defining characteristics of being Canadian is our smugness. Deserved or not, we already know it.
robby818
Mar 28, 11:20 AM
I've been poking along with a 3GS since they came out. Really want to switch to Verizon. This rumor puts people like me in a serious pickle: keep waiting and waiting and waiting for iPhone 5 to come out this year, if it even does it all, or grab an iPhone 4 now - a phone that has been out for nearly a year - and get burned in a couple of months by a surprise iPhone 5 announcement in June?
Here's what I did. I'm already a Verizon customer. I bought a new sealed iPhone 4 16GB out of contract for $450 on craigslist. I plan on re-selling the iPhone 4 for at least $250 when I get my iPhone 5. $200 is worth it to me to be on the iPhone right now for the next few months. Since January, I have had a sweet unlimited text/data promo plan on Verizon but wasn't taking full advantage of it because my old phones were so bad (env3 and palm pixi plus). With the iphone I feel like I am really using the services that i am paying for.
Here's what I did. I'm already a Verizon customer. I bought a new sealed iPhone 4 16GB out of contract for $450 on craigslist. I plan on re-selling the iPhone 4 for at least $250 when I get my iPhone 5. $200 is worth it to me to be on the iPhone right now for the next few months. Since January, I have had a sweet unlimited text/data promo plan on Verizon but wasn't taking full advantage of it because my old phones were so bad (env3 and palm pixi plus). With the iphone I feel like I am really using the services that i am paying for.
0010101
Nov 25, 08:11 PM
Well the funny thing really is that Apple hasn't ever said they were going to make an iPhone, and all this rumor and speculation is based on a .org domain name and a whole lot of circumstantial evidence.
Let's not forget 'iPod' was originally the name they were going to call a sit in internet kiosk type thing, not a music player.
Apple could very well just be cooking up a cellular capable iPod to enable wireless downloads from the iTunes store directly to the device.. which makes way more sense than trying to jump into an already saturated market with low profit margins and tremendous competition.
Let's not forget 'iPod' was originally the name they were going to call a sit in internet kiosk type thing, not a music player.
Apple could very well just be cooking up a cellular capable iPod to enable wireless downloads from the iTunes store directly to the device.. which makes way more sense than trying to jump into an already saturated market with low profit margins and tremendous competition.
callmemike20
Apr 18, 08:18 PM
What constitutes being a "last resort"?
It makes more sense to me to put in clauses that reverse tax increases once a goal has been reached.
Use all the tools in the tool chest to solve the problem.
You clause is a great idea, but we all know that taxes never go away. Wasn't the income tax supposed to be temporary also? Once the government gets their hands on more money, they become less worried about adjusting their spending because the problem is basically fixed (in their minds) due to the additional income.
You are right about using all the tools available to solve the problem. So let me recommend something. It's basically a reversal of your clause. The clause would allow a taxation adjustment (which would be predetermined) once 20% of spending has been cut (or some other amount).
An example (with simplified numbers):
Government Income: $1 billion
Government Spending: $1.50 billion
Total government debt: $5 billion
Defense Spending: $ 300 million (20%)
Social Security: $300 million (20%)
Police/Fire Spending: $200 million (about 13%)
Medical: $250 million (about 17%)
Other: $450 million (30%)
Now, let's say an agreement was made that would increase tax income to $1.2 billion, but in order for those taxes to be effective, the spending must be cut to $1.1 billion ( $0.1 billion difference for miscalculations and to pay off debt). So, each of those departments should still obtain the same amount of funding as % of government income, so 20% of $1.1 billion would be $220 million, which is a reduction of 80 million for defense.
Go down the line and do this for every department. If it doesn't work, then cut other programs to provide adequate funding the the extremely necessary departments that need it.
It makes more sense to me to put in clauses that reverse tax increases once a goal has been reached.
Use all the tools in the tool chest to solve the problem.
You clause is a great idea, but we all know that taxes never go away. Wasn't the income tax supposed to be temporary also? Once the government gets their hands on more money, they become less worried about adjusting their spending because the problem is basically fixed (in their minds) due to the additional income.
You are right about using all the tools available to solve the problem. So let me recommend something. It's basically a reversal of your clause. The clause would allow a taxation adjustment (which would be predetermined) once 20% of spending has been cut (or some other amount).
An example (with simplified numbers):
Government Income: $1 billion
Government Spending: $1.50 billion
Total government debt: $5 billion
Defense Spending: $ 300 million (20%)
Social Security: $300 million (20%)
Police/Fire Spending: $200 million (about 13%)
Medical: $250 million (about 17%)
Other: $450 million (30%)
Now, let's say an agreement was made that would increase tax income to $1.2 billion, but in order for those taxes to be effective, the spending must be cut to $1.1 billion ( $0.1 billion difference for miscalculations and to pay off debt). So, each of those departments should still obtain the same amount of funding as % of government income, so 20% of $1.1 billion would be $220 million, which is a reduction of 80 million for defense.
Go down the line and do this for every department. If it doesn't work, then cut other programs to provide adequate funding the the extremely necessary departments that need it.
No comments:
Post a Comment