faroZ06
Apr 27, 08:55 AM
Improved battery life. :)
I only activate Locations Services when I feel it's needed. Maps, Star Walk and MLB at Bat are about the only ones that come to mind. I don't keep LS turned on all of the time. I switch it on before using one of these. For The Weather Channel and other apps that require a location to function I manually enter it.
I turned it off in case it might use the data to detect that I live in California then tax my purchases on the App Store accordingly... And yes I think there is tax on purchases.
I only activate Locations Services when I feel it's needed. Maps, Star Walk and MLB at Bat are about the only ones that come to mind. I don't keep LS turned on all of the time. I switch it on before using one of these. For The Weather Channel and other apps that require a location to function I manually enter it.
I turned it off in case it might use the data to detect that I live in California then tax my purchases on the App Store accordingly... And yes I think there is tax on purchases.
SC68Cal
Sep 18, 11:12 PM
I went ahead and bought my MacBook Pro because I can't do my schoolwork without a laptop. So, I'm really not paying much attention these days about future announcements :)

TangoCharlie
Jul 20, 08:38 AM
Anyone else think this is getting out of hand? Two cores, great improvement. Four cores, ehh it's faster but Joe can't tell. Eight cores, now thats just stupid.
Let me guess it will only come with 512mb of Ram :p (ok it will be at least a GB).
The riduculous speculation is certainly getting out of control! A quad core iMac... I don't think so! Not for a long while. 8 Cores (ie dual-quads) will only become available in the top-end of the MacPro (assuming the MacPro does indeed go with the Xeon CPU), and the top-end XServes.
If you want wild speculation, here goes....
Apple might use the Conroe and ConroeXE in the first Mac Pros and then add in support for Kentsfield (quad) when it becomes available. This could well be the reason why Intel has brought forward the release of Kentsfield.
Back to reality: Apple wil use Xeon 51xx (5150 and 5160) in the MacPro, and Core 2 Duo (Merom) in the iMac and MBP to be announced at the WWDC. The top iMac config will get a boost to 2.33GHz. In addition, Apple will use the price-drops for the Yonah to upgrade the Core Solo mini to Core Duo.
Any further speculation is just farcical! :eek:
Let me guess it will only come with 512mb of Ram :p (ok it will be at least a GB).
The riduculous speculation is certainly getting out of control! A quad core iMac... I don't think so! Not for a long while. 8 Cores (ie dual-quads) will only become available in the top-end of the MacPro (assuming the MacPro does indeed go with the Xeon CPU), and the top-end XServes.
If you want wild speculation, here goes....
Apple might use the Conroe and ConroeXE in the first Mac Pros and then add in support for Kentsfield (quad) when it becomes available. This could well be the reason why Intel has brought forward the release of Kentsfield.
Back to reality: Apple wil use Xeon 51xx (5150 and 5160) in the MacPro, and Core 2 Duo (Merom) in the iMac and MBP to be announced at the WWDC. The top iMac config will get a boost to 2.33GHz. In addition, Apple will use the price-drops for the Yonah to upgrade the Core Solo mini to Core Duo.
Any further speculation is just farcical! :eek:
backdraft
Jul 29, 05:57 PM
well I'd rather see a ppc update...

wpotere
Apr 27, 01:30 PM
Who would think I'd support Bush? He's not conservative enough for me, and his administration spent to much.
How much did government intervene in business affairs during the Roaring 20's? The government has already failed to do what it should do: It should promote the common good. I find it hard to believe that the U.S. Government had this country's best interests at heart when I hear Mrs. Pelosi say that to find out what's in Obamacare, you need to pass it.
I know a lot about alcoholism and codependence because my mother is a nurse who specialized in treating alcoholics and other drug addicts and in counseling them. You don't help an alcoholic by protecting him from the consequences of his actions. The protection can help him make even bigger mistakes. I've seen that happen in many families I know of that include alcoholics. I also know about entitled welfare recipients who abuse social programs by demanding too much from social programs, by getting it, and by defrauding them. I saw the entitlement firsthand when a relative of mine was a landlord who rented houses to welfare recipients. Welfare recipients ruined a house, my relative kept the security deposit, and then the family got the Department of Social Services to put them into a house for twice the rent my relative charged. But the family still had the nerve to complain that my relative had overcharged it.
I started to dissect this mess, but you dive in six different directions. I'm starting to wonder if you are my father, he pulls the same crap.
This is just not worth touching. You are so focused on the negative of everything that nothing positive can come of it!
How much did government intervene in business affairs during the Roaring 20's? The government has already failed to do what it should do: It should promote the common good. I find it hard to believe that the U.S. Government had this country's best interests at heart when I hear Mrs. Pelosi say that to find out what's in Obamacare, you need to pass it.
I know a lot about alcoholism and codependence because my mother is a nurse who specialized in treating alcoholics and other drug addicts and in counseling them. You don't help an alcoholic by protecting him from the consequences of his actions. The protection can help him make even bigger mistakes. I've seen that happen in many families I know of that include alcoholics. I also know about entitled welfare recipients who abuse social programs by demanding too much from social programs, by getting it, and by defrauding them. I saw the entitlement firsthand when a relative of mine was a landlord who rented houses to welfare recipients. Welfare recipients ruined a house, my relative kept the security deposit, and then the family got the Department of Social Services to put them into a house for twice the rent my relative charged. But the family still had the nerve to complain that my relative had overcharged it.
I started to dissect this mess, but you dive in six different directions. I'm starting to wonder if you are my father, he pulls the same crap.
This is just not worth touching. You are so focused on the negative of everything that nothing positive can come of it!
~Shard~
Jul 14, 03:00 PM
Why all the smilies? Having the ability to install other-format optical drives is what AppleInsider is talking about.
I was directing the smilies more towards 4God, since he only mentioned Blu-Ray as if it would be a given that would be the only type of drive Apple would be including. ;)
There, see, you only get one smilie. :D Okay, two, including that one...
I was directing the smilies more towards 4God, since he only mentioned Blu-Ray as if it would be a given that would be the only type of drive Apple would be including. ;)
There, see, you only get one smilie. :D Okay, two, including that one...

Bradley W
Aug 6, 01:09 PM
_
toddybody
Mar 26, 04:33 AM
So its like, the complete version er...not quite done yet, but nearly finished..
:confused:
:confused:
mwswami
Jul 23, 04:28 PM
Well Swami I am going to have to call your bluff. Makes no sense to skip Conroe Dual Cores on the Mac Pro yet. This Winter 2007 with Clovertowns, perhaps post MacWorld SF. But not yet. And maybe not ever.
...
You fill in the specs. I can't remember what speeds are being offered. This is all just a wild guestimate for discussion purposes. Please don't flame me.
Don't worry I won't flame you. You may turn out to be right. Only two weeks to go ...
...
You fill in the specs. I can't remember what speeds are being offered. This is all just a wild guestimate for discussion purposes. Please don't flame me.
Don't worry I won't flame you. You may turn out to be right. Only two weeks to go ...
donlphi
Nov 29, 12:26 AM
I teach high school kids and I hear them talk about stuff all the time. I know one thing for sure, if kids can't find what they want on iTUNES, they will download it illegally. My thoughts are, if a record company doesn't want to sell their music at iTunes, it's their loss at this point. They could sell some or none. If it isn't available at iTunes, then people only have a few other options.
1. Buy the CD at a retail store (if there is one nearby and stock is available)
2. Go without completely
3. Download a copy from ____________ (fill in the blank)
If I spend $300 on a media player, I will (as will others) find a way to get any music on there.
I don't see Apple giving in unless they TRULY feel the record companies are deserving... which they are not.
1. Buy the CD at a retail store (if there is one nearby and stock is available)
2. Go without completely
3. Download a copy from ____________ (fill in the blank)
If I spend $300 on a media player, I will (as will others) find a way to get any music on there.
I don't see Apple giving in unless they TRULY feel the record companies are deserving... which they are not.
leekohler
Mar 3, 10:53 AM
I'm not conflating them. See post 129.
Don't compare them either. There is a huge difference between what homosexuals do and what pedophiles do. You're the one getting on people for not comprehending language. I suggest you take your own advice.
Don't compare them either. There is a huge difference between what homosexuals do and what pedophiles do. You're the one getting on people for not comprehending language. I suggest you take your own advice.
fithian
Apr 8, 07:55 AM
Just for entertainment, go to a Worst Buy and sidle up to a sales guy giving his pitch to an unsuspecting victim. I only ever go there to see a model in person before ordering online or elsewhere. I do purchase items at local stores who respect the customer and don't tell blatant lies about the products.
Rt&Dzine
Feb 28, 12:58 PM
A same-sex attracted person is living a "gay lifestyle" when he or she dates people of the same sex, "marries" people of the same sex, has same-sex sex, or does any combination of these things. I think that if same-sex attracted people are going to live together, they need to do that as though they were siblings, not as sex partners. In my opinion, they should have purely platonic, nonsexual relationships with one another.
Heterosexual couples need to reserve sex for opposite-sex monogamous marriage. If I had a girlfriend, I might kiss her. But I wouldn't do that to deliberately arouse either of us. If either of us felt tempted to have sex with each other, the kissing would stop right away. I know of a woman who gave an excellent answer when men asked her why saved sex for marriage. She said, "I"m worth waiting for." She lived by her Catholic convictions, and she wouldn't risk letting any man use her as a mere object, as a mere "sex machine."
Obviously most people, including Catholics, aren't able to adhere to this ideal. So are they not allowed to be married? Obviously not. And I know Catholics who have divorced and remarried. That's equally abhorrent. Yet they're allowed to do this.
Heterosexual couples need to reserve sex for opposite-sex monogamous marriage. If I had a girlfriend, I might kiss her. But I wouldn't do that to deliberately arouse either of us. If either of us felt tempted to have sex with each other, the kissing would stop right away. I know of a woman who gave an excellent answer when men asked her why saved sex for marriage. She said, "I"m worth waiting for." She lived by her Catholic convictions, and she wouldn't risk letting any man use her as a mere object, as a mere "sex machine."
Obviously most people, including Catholics, aren't able to adhere to this ideal. So are they not allowed to be married? Obviously not. And I know Catholics who have divorced and remarried. That's equally abhorrent. Yet they're allowed to do this.
G5power
Jul 27, 09:48 AM
Assuming August 7 as an announcement date of new systems, the waiting is killer.
MacinDoc
Jul 29, 04:03 AM
Update this august... not likely. It will be all pro. Any consumer will be Paris Expo. The imac G5 was launched there. why not a Core 2 Duo iMac?
Of course, the problem with waiting until Paris for consumer upgrades like MacBook is that Apple will entirely miss the educational buying season, losing one of the largest markets for its consumer products...
Of course, the problem with waiting until Paris for consumer upgrades like MacBook is that Apple will entirely miss the educational buying season, losing one of the largest markets for its consumer products...
Multimedia
Aug 18, 08:29 PM
I purchased Kingston PC2 5300 FB for my Mac Pro from New Egg. They seemed to have the best price and some Mac friendly reviews.
My Pro now starts 10.4.7 in less than 5 seconds!Great Caesar's Ghost! :eek: From OFF? :eek: With total 3GB RAM? You have a QT Movie you can post of that? :eek:
My Pro now starts 10.4.7 in less than 5 seconds!Great Caesar's Ghost! :eek: From OFF? :eek: With total 3GB RAM? You have a QT Movie you can post of that? :eek:
tyroja00
Sep 19, 08:02 AM
Apple's reliability? Care to elaborate more specifically? Good high quality well designed never dying logic boards that run at 40-ish degrees Celsius for one? :p
Well I have had 5 PC laptops in the past 7 years, through work and personal use. Other than the IBM, I have had various unacceptable problems from frequent crashes to jacked-up touchpads that go where they please. My second hand PB has yet to do anything, not one crash. Also, I have taken apart my laptops (b/c I am a geek like that) and I must say that Apple laptops are a work of pure attention to detail. Finally, just read consumer reports for reliability. Apple smokes everyone. But, I also think that a lot of issues arise in PC's due to people not knowing how to maintain their computers and their computer's software.
Well I have had 5 PC laptops in the past 7 years, through work and personal use. Other than the IBM, I have had various unacceptable problems from frequent crashes to jacked-up touchpads that go where they please. My second hand PB has yet to do anything, not one crash. Also, I have taken apart my laptops (b/c I am a geek like that) and I must say that Apple laptops are a work of pure attention to detail. Finally, just read consumer reports for reliability. Apple smokes everyone. But, I also think that a lot of issues arise in PC's due to people not knowing how to maintain their computers and their computer's software.
BWhaler
Aug 27, 11:37 AM
I happen to have a Yonah Macbook, and im a little concerned.
I wonder, if merom does make it into the Macbooks did i make a mistake by buying my computer before i had to (as in next friday is the cutoff)
I wonder if Merom is really that good.
Don't sweat it.
There is a very comprehensive review of Core Duo vs. Core 2 Duo on Anandtech. Here is there conclusion for people like you:
For Apple users this means that early adopters of the new MacBook or MacBook Pro won't be too pressured to upgrade again by the end of this year...Owners of Core Duo laptops really have no reason to worry about upgrading for now, and waiting for the Santa Rosa platform before your next laptop upgrade seems reasonable.
Sure, the Core 2 Duo is better, but if you read the article, it's not really better in significant ways.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=1
I wonder, if merom does make it into the Macbooks did i make a mistake by buying my computer before i had to (as in next friday is the cutoff)
I wonder if Merom is really that good.
Don't sweat it.
There is a very comprehensive review of Core Duo vs. Core 2 Duo on Anandtech. Here is there conclusion for people like you:
For Apple users this means that early adopters of the new MacBook or MacBook Pro won't be too pressured to upgrade again by the end of this year...Owners of Core Duo laptops really have no reason to worry about upgrading for now, and waiting for the Santa Rosa platform before your next laptop upgrade seems reasonable.
Sure, the Core 2 Duo is better, but if you read the article, it's not really better in significant ways.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=1
bushido
Apr 11, 04:27 PM
i got the iPhone 4 but also got a new Android because i'm sick of the same old school UI after 3 iPhones and i LOVE my android experience, sure i still use my iPhone 4 for some apps i can't get on the android, but apps r really the only thing that still saves the iPhone. of course its stupid to argue about that on a "mac"rumors site, so i'll just ***** up ^^
SevenInchScrew
Dec 8, 12:30 AM
...or in photo mode which you use a few times and then never look do it again.
I disagree. I've played a good deal of GT5 now at a friend's place. The game itself is not very good, in my opinion, especially after 6 years waiting. But the Photo Mode is VERY excellent. There is at least one thing this game does very well, and that is screenshots. I'm not spending $60 for a screenshot generator, but the feature is quite awesome.
Bad Physics in damage- Forza's canned animation damage is better?
At least in Forza you don't have to "Unlock" the damage. ;)
I disagree. I've played a good deal of GT5 now at a friend's place. The game itself is not very good, in my opinion, especially after 6 years waiting. But the Photo Mode is VERY excellent. There is at least one thing this game does very well, and that is screenshots. I'm not spending $60 for a screenshot generator, but the feature is quite awesome.
Bad Physics in damage- Forza's canned animation damage is better?
At least in Forza you don't have to "Unlock" the damage. ;)
Northgrove
Apr 11, 02:35 PM
I don't think a September release is a problem. My contract ends next year anyway, and that's a contract signed for an iPhone 3Gs... (binding plan for 2 years) So it's time for me to upgrade *at earliest* at a time when this iPhone 5 will supposedly recently have been released anyway. Sounds perfect to me, and I don't feel "bored" of my 3Gs in the slightest. It's the apps that does the heavy lifting of this "experience" for me, and not the physical phone model/design. :)
As for new, cheaper, entry points for iOS... A guy at work *and* also a friend of mine both recently bought an iPhone 3G. Not 4. Not 3Gs. There's your very cheap entry point iOS phone today. And they're happy with theirs, knowing that they didn't get the latest CPU etc. But they knew this, and they were very cheap. Not a big problem IMHO. Don't forget the after market.
As for new, cheaper, entry points for iOS... A guy at work *and* also a friend of mine both recently bought an iPhone 3G. Not 4. Not 3Gs. There's your very cheap entry point iOS phone today. And they're happy with theirs, knowing that they didn't get the latest CPU etc. But they knew this, and they were very cheap. Not a big problem IMHO. Don't forget the after market.
nagromme
Jul 14, 03:11 PM
Except Conroes don't support dual processor configuration. Woodcrest does, hence the reason it will be in the Pro line machines while Conroe is put into new iMacs.
Right, but I didn't say dual processors, I said dual cores.
I see no reason why ALL Pro machines need quad cores, when today's dual core G5s are FAR slower than that and still blaze through a lot of useful work! An all-quad pro lineup would be "cool" (and I seek a quad anyway, personally) but would simply add cost without justification, for many people.
In addition, if the new chips are supply-constrained at all having both Conroe and Woodcrest in the pro towers could help. (And the iMac does fine with Yonah for a while if need be--which seems likely to happen to me.)
Right, but I didn't say dual processors, I said dual cores.
I see no reason why ALL Pro machines need quad cores, when today's dual core G5s are FAR slower than that and still blaze through a lot of useful work! An all-quad pro lineup would be "cool" (and I seek a quad anyway, personally) but would simply add cost without justification, for many people.
In addition, if the new chips are supply-constrained at all having both Conroe and Woodcrest in the pro towers could help. (And the iMac does fine with Yonah for a while if need be--which seems likely to happen to me.)
Zadillo
Aug 27, 05:19 PM
hmmm... the funny part is that it's been done to death.* that's the bit.* i guess you don't see it as funny.* ever heard of a reoccuring joke with a little aphormism mixed in?
But that's the problem. The joke was that it was done to death...... but THAT part has been done to death too, which is why most people no longer find it to be all that funny.
I'm happy that some people still seem to be able to find humor in it, but that doesn't mean that the people who no longer find it to be funny just don't "get it". It just means that the lifespan of this joke has long since passed for many people.
But that's the problem. The joke was that it was done to death...... but THAT part has been done to death too, which is why most people no longer find it to be all that funny.
I'm happy that some people still seem to be able to find humor in it, but that doesn't mean that the people who no longer find it to be funny just don't "get it". It just means that the lifespan of this joke has long since passed for many people.
makingdots
Apr 11, 12:51 PM
I've been living with this iphone 3g since it launched and didn't want the iphone 4 for antenna reasons.
Now if this is true that they will push back the iphone 5 release. I will seriously consider jumping platforms.
No point in getting a 4 since it's already outdated and I was hoping for the iphone 5 release in June/July.
I think this is a serious mistake on apple's part and yes, it would also be dumb to release the 5 in june and a 5.5 with LTE in January, but They could push the lte until june of 2012.
The androids are starting to look better and better as time goes on.
Looks like you block mailing Apple? LOL
Just get an android if you can't wait. sheesh
btw, iPhone 4 still awesome even if there's a tons of plastic droids came along before iPhone 5.
Now if this is true that they will push back the iphone 5 release. I will seriously consider jumping platforms.
No point in getting a 4 since it's already outdated and I was hoping for the iphone 5 release in June/July.
I think this is a serious mistake on apple's part and yes, it would also be dumb to release the 5 in june and a 5.5 with LTE in January, but They could push the lte until june of 2012.
The androids are starting to look better and better as time goes on.
Looks like you block mailing Apple? LOL
Just get an android if you can't wait. sheesh
btw, iPhone 4 still awesome even if there's a tons of plastic droids came along before iPhone 5.
No comments:
Post a Comment