ictiosapiens
Apr 25, 09:17 PM
For 99% of the market, the integrated graphics are fine. The majority of consumers don't read tech sites and are happy with the performance. The typical pc buyer doesn't know what a benchmark is. In almost every Apple vs Winodws pc argument on this and every other Mac site, the Mac fans without fail say specs don't matter. If you're a gamer, you'll notice the performance hit. To the million plus people who will buy the next model it won't make any difference.
And a large portion of that 99% of the market will find integrated graphics fine, until they venture to the Apple App Store, and find that their spanking new MBA have a video card not supported by 99% of the games on sale... In fact, integrated graphics are not only not supported, but are specifically singled out in most game's system requirements.
And a large portion of that 99% of the market will find integrated graphics fine, until they venture to the Apple App Store, and find that their spanking new MBA have a video card not supported by 99% of the games on sale... In fact, integrated graphics are not only not supported, but are specifically singled out in most game's system requirements.

PerfectlyFlawed
Oct 27, 02:47 PM
why are they mad about getting kicked out. I'm not to favorable of enviromentalists, but I'll admit they're good cause if it weren't for them we probably would screw up alot of stuff, they keep it evened out, but still they're at a computer convention they should be greatful they were even allowed to have a booth at all, they should have abided by the contract.

cube
Mar 30, 12:44 PM
App market?
Program Store?
Program Market?
App Hub?
App Universe?
App Base?
Tool Shed?
Imagination?
Hello?
What is the App Store? It is a store where you buy apps, an app store.
It's not a "shed where you buy apps", for example.
Program Store?
Program Market?
App Hub?
App Universe?
App Base?
Tool Shed?
Imagination?
Hello?
What is the App Store? It is a store where you buy apps, an app store.
It's not a "shed where you buy apps", for example.
ksz
Jul 14, 09:16 AM
Bring 'em on, but place them in a mid-tower case.
cmaier
Nov 13, 08:48 PM
Do you believe that Google Android apps are a free for all and that apps are never rejected? Do you believe that Google is any different than any other company when comes to protecting their IP? Google maps API for example, cannot be used in third party applications that offer turn by turn navigation.
To be fair, that's quite possibly a limitation imposed on them by navteq/teleatlas.
To be fair, that's quite possibly a limitation imposed on them by navteq/teleatlas.
LarryC
Apr 30, 04:04 PM
Even with all of the debates that are going on in this thread, I am excited about this update. I have been waiting for the new iMac. I am currently using a 1.42GHz eMac G4 that I purchased new in ~ 2005. It still runs great and I have no complaints with it. I do believe that I will still wait for the early issues that come with any new machine to be resolved and for the newest version of OS X.
eye
Mar 23, 05:27 PM
If any of you had ever lost someone or had someone that you loved seriously injured by a drunk driver - you'd want this app pulled.
0 good can come from drunk driving. I don't know anyone (intelligent person) who would say otherwise. Constitutional or not, who in the world would want to encourage a drunk person to get behind the wheel? ..which is exactly what these apps do. I'm sure that there's a percentage of drunk drivers who have ventured out on the roads only because they had the convenience of these apps - when otherwise, they would have gotten a ride or sobered up first.
Ummm...nobody is saying drunk driving is good. Where are people getting this from?
0 good can come from drunk driving. I don't know anyone (intelligent person) who would say otherwise. Constitutional or not, who in the world would want to encourage a drunk person to get behind the wheel? ..which is exactly what these apps do. I'm sure that there's a percentage of drunk drivers who have ventured out on the roads only because they had the convenience of these apps - when otherwise, they would have gotten a ride or sobered up first.
Ummm...nobody is saying drunk driving is good. Where are people getting this from?
AppleScruff1
Apr 29, 01:48 AM
They did. And boy, does it show! Part of the reason Apple has done so remarkably well for years now.
Apple has done extremely well with mobile devices, but I don't know what Microsoft has to do with that. As far as I know, Windows still has about 90% of the market, and Apple still has a very small share. It looks to me like Apple isn't a huge player in the pc market, but they are the dominant one in the mobile market. Let's not forget that 50% of that $5.99 billion profit came from the iPhone and iPad.
Part of the reason Apple has done so remarkably well for years now? Sure. However it is also mostly the reason Apple still only had 5% of that market.
Very true.
Apple has done extremely well with mobile devices, but I don't know what Microsoft has to do with that. As far as I know, Windows still has about 90% of the market, and Apple still has a very small share. It looks to me like Apple isn't a huge player in the pc market, but they are the dominant one in the mobile market. Let's not forget that 50% of that $5.99 billion profit came from the iPhone and iPad.
Part of the reason Apple has done so remarkably well for years now? Sure. However it is also mostly the reason Apple still only had 5% of that market.
Very true.
shadowx
Sep 19, 02:23 PM
Probably at the same time as the Merom MBP. :eek:
I bought one, just to test. Wasn't bad, would buy more if they add a title I want.
Hmm... your actions are supporting my thoughts... how many of those 125,000 downloads were simply to try it out - probably a lot of them. I'm more interested to see how many downloads have been sold after the first 90 days.
I bought one, just to test. Wasn't bad, would buy more if they add a title I want.
Hmm... your actions are supporting my thoughts... how many of those 125,000 downloads were simply to try it out - probably a lot of them. I'm more interested to see how many downloads have been sold after the first 90 days.

mainstreetmark
Apr 20, 10:36 AM
Agree to that, but why is it being collected without permission?
You gave it permission. Location Services is enabled on your phone, and apps that require the data ask your permission, and almost any system level service keep logs.
You gave it permission. Location Services is enabled on your phone, and apps that require the data ask your permission, and almost any system level service keep logs.
BobbyCat
Apr 30, 03:08 PM
OK, we're all expecting SB and Thunderbolt, along with better GPUs. We can reasonably take these improvements for granted.
But the big question as always : what prices we're gonna get? I surely hope Apple doesn't increase the price on all 4 models like they did not long ago.
Please please Steve, no increase this time, and even better, a slight drop would be mostly welcome.
After all, the financial results have been terrific several quarters in a row, isn't it time to give a little back to the fans? Like a 100$ drop accross the line :D
I know I know. What the heck ... :o
But the big question as always : what prices we're gonna get? I surely hope Apple doesn't increase the price on all 4 models like they did not long ago.
Please please Steve, no increase this time, and even better, a slight drop would be mostly welcome.
After all, the financial results have been terrific several quarters in a row, isn't it time to give a little back to the fans? Like a 100$ drop accross the line :D
I know I know. What the heck ... :o
Thunderbird
Apr 30, 03:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
Neither will be redesigned next year. Look at the length of time Apple stuck with the previous design. There are still a few years left to this "look."
As others have mentioned already, the last redesign was in the Fall of 2009. Before that was the Fall of 2007 (before that was January 2006 with the switch to Intel). The redesign cyles seem to be approx every two years. So 2011 could see another redesign, especially when the last two redesigns coincided with an OS X upgrade. That's why I keep saying look for a redesign this Fall, just before or just after Lion is released.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)
When do you estimate they will come out with the redesigned exterior?
See above answer.
They stuck with the previous design for 3-4 years. It has now been 3 years with the current look.
No, it has been two years since the previous redesign. That is when the screen sizes changed from 20" and 24" to 21.5 and 27".
Curious that everyone is clamoring for a thunderbolt-enabled machine, but there isn't a single thunderbolt drive available on the market.
I guess some people just need to feel like they have new stuff even if it's totally pointless.
Good points. Thunderbolt won't really be usable for anything until at least this Fall.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
So previous iMac design lasted 4 years...it's been 3. Previous MBP design lasted, what, 6 years? Rumors are meaningless until we see leaked shots or something (remember the iPad 2 rumors?)
I don't think that overhauling the exterior of iMac or MBP is high on Apple's priority list at the moment and I'd be surprised if it happened within the next year.
Be prepared to be surprised this Fall.
Isn't this iMac design from fall of 2009? That's less than two years.
Bingo. At least someone is paying attention to the redesign cycles.
Yep. There is little reason for Apple to fear USB 3. It's slower in both theoretical maximum speed and FAR slower in real world maximum speed. The only advantage is... Uhm... TB supports USB so... I guess there isn't one. Yes, I think USB 3 is quite possibly going to be the last iteration of USB.
Yup, I think Steve has made it loud and clear, it's Thunderbolt all the way. Apple won't be using USB 3 as an interim bridge to, or alongside Thunderbolt.
I seen it as more of a mid model refresh.
TECHNICALLY been the same since 2008.
No it hasn't. Technically, the iMac has only been the same since the last refresh, and less technically, since the last redesign--which was in the Fall of 2009.
If you mean the aluminum design, that was actually way back in 2007.
Yes, the iMac was redesigned from the white housing and S-PVA LCD panels to the aluminum housing and IPS (and TN) panels in the Fall of 2007.
The fall 2009 refresh was a big redesign. The displays were all different sizes, 21.5 and 27" and went edge to edge. This was the first time since moving to Intel that the iMacs had desktop processors instead of the previous mobile chips. It was not a trivial redesign which is why it's unlikely there will be much different about this year's updates other than ports, processors, and storage upgrades.
Excellent, you are correct. The last redesign was not trivial. And look for a possible redesign this Fall to coincide with the release of Lion. I'm not guarranteeing anything here, it's just been the pattern the last two redesigns.
Neither will be redesigned next year. Look at the length of time Apple stuck with the previous design. There are still a few years left to this "look."
As others have mentioned already, the last redesign was in the Fall of 2009. Before that was the Fall of 2007 (before that was January 2006 with the switch to Intel). The redesign cyles seem to be approx every two years. So 2011 could see another redesign, especially when the last two redesigns coincided with an OS X upgrade. That's why I keep saying look for a redesign this Fall, just before or just after Lion is released.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)
When do you estimate they will come out with the redesigned exterior?
See above answer.
They stuck with the previous design for 3-4 years. It has now been 3 years with the current look.
No, it has been two years since the previous redesign. That is when the screen sizes changed from 20" and 24" to 21.5 and 27".
Curious that everyone is clamoring for a thunderbolt-enabled machine, but there isn't a single thunderbolt drive available on the market.
I guess some people just need to feel like they have new stuff even if it's totally pointless.
Good points. Thunderbolt won't really be usable for anything until at least this Fall.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
So previous iMac design lasted 4 years...it's been 3. Previous MBP design lasted, what, 6 years? Rumors are meaningless until we see leaked shots or something (remember the iPad 2 rumors?)
I don't think that overhauling the exterior of iMac or MBP is high on Apple's priority list at the moment and I'd be surprised if it happened within the next year.
Be prepared to be surprised this Fall.
Isn't this iMac design from fall of 2009? That's less than two years.
Bingo. At least someone is paying attention to the redesign cycles.
Yep. There is little reason for Apple to fear USB 3. It's slower in both theoretical maximum speed and FAR slower in real world maximum speed. The only advantage is... Uhm... TB supports USB so... I guess there isn't one. Yes, I think USB 3 is quite possibly going to be the last iteration of USB.
Yup, I think Steve has made it loud and clear, it's Thunderbolt all the way. Apple won't be using USB 3 as an interim bridge to, or alongside Thunderbolt.
I seen it as more of a mid model refresh.
TECHNICALLY been the same since 2008.
No it hasn't. Technically, the iMac has only been the same since the last refresh, and less technically, since the last redesign--which was in the Fall of 2009.
If you mean the aluminum design, that was actually way back in 2007.
Yes, the iMac was redesigned from the white housing and S-PVA LCD panels to the aluminum housing and IPS (and TN) panels in the Fall of 2007.
The fall 2009 refresh was a big redesign. The displays were all different sizes, 21.5 and 27" and went edge to edge. This was the first time since moving to Intel that the iMacs had desktop processors instead of the previous mobile chips. It was not a trivial redesign which is why it's unlikely there will be much different about this year's updates other than ports, processors, and storage upgrades.
Excellent, you are correct. The last redesign was not trivial. And look for a possible redesign this Fall to coincide with the release of Lion. I'm not guarranteeing anything here, it's just been the pattern the last two redesigns.
cgmpowers
May 3, 01:12 PM
The thing I'm most impressed with is the 2GB video card. I have the 2008 MacPro w/ 3.0 dual core xeon, 12 GB of ram, an ATI 1900 w/ 512 ram. I just purchased Portal 2 over the weekend and cannot run it as it doesn't meet the specs. I'll have to purchase a new video card. A bit depressing...
Chris Powers
Chris Powers
ender land
Apr 10, 11:01 AM
Sounds like a pretty convincing reason to move to Sweden if you are an American.
Glideslope
Apr 19, 07:31 PM
Good Luck. :apple:
rtdunham
Sep 10, 07:04 PM
Sorry, but that mockup is just stupid. Whoever made it obviously has no concept of Apple's product line. CONSUMER = WHITE OR BLACK. PRO = ALUMINUM. NEITHER = MIX OF IMAC WHITE + ALUMINUM. Every single frickin' product follows these guidelines. Get a clue.
You're doing what Marshall McLuhan described: looking in a rearview mirror to anticipate the future. You might even be being a little arrogant about it. Y'think? I mean, what about those aluminum iPod minis? that same format's suggested for new nanos. Apple's smart to delineate its lines, and you're smart to note that. But neither Apple nor you would be smart to think that delineation has to be sustained...what, forever? Like wide and narrow ties (hair styles, skirt lengths) moving in and out of fashion, Apple, IMHO, will establish distinctions and evolve them over time. It won't always happen: we'll never see a black Apple laptop again, like the early models, but... Oh, wait!!!
bellbottoms forever
peace out
You're doing what Marshall McLuhan described: looking in a rearview mirror to anticipate the future. You might even be being a little arrogant about it. Y'think? I mean, what about those aluminum iPod minis? that same format's suggested for new nanos. Apple's smart to delineate its lines, and you're smart to note that. But neither Apple nor you would be smart to think that delineation has to be sustained...what, forever? Like wide and narrow ties (hair styles, skirt lengths) moving in and out of fashion, Apple, IMHO, will establish distinctions and evolve them over time. It won't always happen: we'll never see a black Apple laptop again, like the early models, but... Oh, wait!!!
bellbottoms forever
peace out
bommai
Sep 19, 04:07 PM
I don't think Apple is aiming for the uber-geek with $25k worth of home entertainment equipment. IMHO, they will never be able to compete in that market.
I think they are reaching for the average joe blow that has a servicable $400 TV that he bought at Wal-mart, and maybe, just maybe, has a stereo hooked up to it. The average Joe doesn't care, and can't tell, that it's Dolby Surround and not Dolby Digital.
I disagree. The average Joe is not the customer for iTV. Average Joe might buy a $40 DVD player from Walmart to hook up to a $200 TV. Remember, the iTV is meant for a HDTV. In fact you cannot even easily hook it up to a non-HDTV. It has only HDMI and component video outputs. These outputs are found only on HDTVs. Granted the price of HDTV is coming down pretty fast. You can buy a CRT based HDTV for under $500 now. However, I still standby my assertion that iTV will be bought by people that have computers with a large enough hard drive and a home network. This is a little bit more complicated than just owning an iPod and buying tunes off of iTS. For iPod, you need one computer connected to internet and an iPod. For iTV, you need a computer with a large HD, a home network, a TV with HDMI or component video input and an iTV.
Dolby Digital / 5.1 discrete tracks need to be worked out soon!!
I think they are reaching for the average joe blow that has a servicable $400 TV that he bought at Wal-mart, and maybe, just maybe, has a stereo hooked up to it. The average Joe doesn't care, and can't tell, that it's Dolby Surround and not Dolby Digital.
I disagree. The average Joe is not the customer for iTV. Average Joe might buy a $40 DVD player from Walmart to hook up to a $200 TV. Remember, the iTV is meant for a HDTV. In fact you cannot even easily hook it up to a non-HDTV. It has only HDMI and component video outputs. These outputs are found only on HDTVs. Granted the price of HDTV is coming down pretty fast. You can buy a CRT based HDTV for under $500 now. However, I still standby my assertion that iTV will be bought by people that have computers with a large enough hard drive and a home network. This is a little bit more complicated than just owning an iPod and buying tunes off of iTS. For iPod, you need one computer connected to internet and an iPod. For iTV, you need a computer with a large HD, a home network, a TV with HDMI or component video input and an iTV.
Dolby Digital / 5.1 discrete tracks need to be worked out soon!!
Edot
Mar 30, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure why there is so much argument about the term "app". The trademark is for "App Store" not for "app". It would be like arguing that "Burger King" is not a valid trademark because "burger" is a generic term.
braddouglass
Apr 19, 12:57 PM
Yep, he's the only iPhone user in the world who wants a better notication system, and a built in radio so he doesnt have to stream it over the internet. :rolleyes:
+1 on the notifications
Who would want to have a s*itty radio tuner on their iphone? that's why I download music So I can listen to the music I want at good quality. with no commercials? And you can multi task any ways so what the big deal of streaming music? at least streaming is the genre you like haha
+1 on the notifications
Who would want to have a s*itty radio tuner on their iphone? that's why I download music So I can listen to the music I want at good quality. with no commercials? And you can multi task any ways so what the big deal of streaming music? at least streaming is the genre you like haha
Wilbah
Mar 22, 01:13 PM
That the "pro" line- as in Mac Pro tower - will be the last in the line of machines to get the "thunderbolt" connectivity option.
LagunaSol
Apr 19, 11:00 PM
So the Beatles didn't use an Apple? And Woolworths Australia does? Don't be so biased.
I never said Apple going after Woolworths for their logo was a good move.
I never said Apple going after Woolworths for their logo was a good move.
Sodner
Apr 20, 10:51 AM
Eh. Not that big of a deal as far as I'm concerned. It's a tracking file on my phone copied to my computer. I have plenty more to worry about like bank or CC info then my exact location at a given moment.
Hey everybody, I'm at work in Cranberry, PA right now! :eek:
Hey everybody, I'm at work in Cranberry, PA right now! :eek:
4God
Aug 28, 02:41 PM
Unfortunately, cats are known liars.
DOH!!!! 55999
DOH!!!! 55999
BryanLyle
May 3, 11:18 AM
"Macworld has confirmation from Apple that the new iMacs will support Target Display Mode but only when the device they are connected to is also a Thunderbolt equipped Mac."
Is that true?
Is that true?
No comments:
Post a Comment