Evangelion
Apr 8, 05:01 AM
another low for apple, i ordered Mar 19th still waiting ...
fiasco just continues, does not look nice apple.
How exactly is this Apple's fault? BB played shenanigans, Apple called them out on it.
And yes, you have to wait for your order to go through. I bet that's just terrible for all those entitled people out there who feel that world revolves around them, and when they want something, they have to have it NOW. Fact is that there are simply so many people buying iPads that Apple has problem satisfying demand.
fiasco just continues, does not look nice apple.
How exactly is this Apple's fault? BB played shenanigans, Apple called them out on it.
And yes, you have to wait for your order to go through. I bet that's just terrible for all those entitled people out there who feel that world revolves around them, and when they want something, they have to have it NOW. Fact is that there are simply so many people buying iPads that Apple has problem satisfying demand.
dgree03
Apr 6, 02:09 PM
What bothers me is people think because an iPad sells more it is superior, unless you made the iPad or work at Apple I don't see how that makes sense. Also most people on here have never even played with a XOOM.
I own both an iPad2 (my wife's technically) and my XOOM. I had an iPad1 since launch until I sold it for a XOOM. For me, Apps are lacking on XOOM but it's made up for with the true tablet OS and excellent first party apps.
Find me a better GMail/Email, Maps, Browser on the iPad and other stuff you will actually use most often and I'll sell my XOOM. Since I've had my XOOM, I haven't touched the iPad2. Everytime I pick it up I miss using the XOOM.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I am in the EXACT same situation as you.. with the EXACT same reaction.
I own both an iPad2 (my wife's technically) and my XOOM. I had an iPad1 since launch until I sold it for a XOOM. For me, Apps are lacking on XOOM but it's made up for with the true tablet OS and excellent first party apps.
Find me a better GMail/Email, Maps, Browser on the iPad and other stuff you will actually use most often and I'll sell my XOOM. Since I've had my XOOM, I haven't touched the iPad2. Everytime I pick it up I miss using the XOOM.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I am in the EXACT same situation as you.. with the EXACT same reaction.
thejadedmonkey
Jul 27, 09:44 AM
WWDC, WWDC, WWDC.... Or perhaps another one of those unannounced bumps.. I really don't like them though, I wish Apple would go back to big announcements on things like this, but yeah...that's life. Now lets have the upgrade!
So since these new mobile chips are pin-compatible with the Yonah chips (like the one in my MBP), will it be easy/possible to simply buy one and upgrade myself?
Yes. I believe people who have gotten their hands on Core 2 Duo beta chips have put them in their mini's with no difference (except a massive speed boost)
So since these new mobile chips are pin-compatible with the Yonah chips (like the one in my MBP), will it be easy/possible to simply buy one and upgrade myself?
Yes. I believe people who have gotten their hands on Core 2 Duo beta chips have put them in their mini's with no difference (except a massive speed boost)
Porco
Aug 6, 06:25 PM
Why sell a new keyboard for front row, if you can sell a new Mac to the same person? Including the sensor in the Cinema Displays would enable Apple to sell more of their display, on which they probably have a very good profit margin (when you compare to other manufacturers).
Because people would buy a new keyboard for some extra functionality; they wouldn't dump their entire system for one feature. And besides, my idea was a solution to the Mac Pro specific issue - therefore it would have to be available as a replacement part for the Mac Pro, making it sensible as an optional purchase for every mac owner. But regardless of that, it would be included with the new computer! If all the other macs have an integrated IR sensor, are you suggesting Apple will want people to buy an iMac rather than a Mac Pro? Really? Also, everyone needs a keyboard, it's on the low-end of the price scale as an upgradable item and it would be easy to add IR.
They could also just put it into the tower. Even if that is under the desk, it might not be that much of a problem. In my experience the sensor responds very nicely to the remote even if the line of sight between them is somewhat obstructed.
They could, but the keyboard is, I would have thought, much much more likely to be in a predictably close position to the screen in the vast majority of cases.
However the best solution I think, was suggested by someone on these forums. I don't know, whether it has been quoted here already, because I did not go through all the messages. This poster suggested to combine the sensor with an external iSight. That could be connected to any monitor and would probably have a good IR reception because of beeing on top of the monitor and thus very exposed.
Not everyone needs or wants an external iSight. Everyone uses a keyboard. I think my solution works not only because of the exposure/position, but also in the ubiquity of the item. The IR sensors in the other machines are on the machines themselves because that's where it makes sense - but they are there, accessible, whatever your set-up is, wherever you put it (with the possible exception of the mini I guess if you really wanted that hidden away). The keyboard solution would just take the most predictably accessible (and standard) element of the system for a Mac Pro and puts the IR there - a display is optional, an external iSight is optional, the keyboard that comes with every machine - well that's standard.
Because people would buy a new keyboard for some extra functionality; they wouldn't dump their entire system for one feature. And besides, my idea was a solution to the Mac Pro specific issue - therefore it would have to be available as a replacement part for the Mac Pro, making it sensible as an optional purchase for every mac owner. But regardless of that, it would be included with the new computer! If all the other macs have an integrated IR sensor, are you suggesting Apple will want people to buy an iMac rather than a Mac Pro? Really? Also, everyone needs a keyboard, it's on the low-end of the price scale as an upgradable item and it would be easy to add IR.
They could also just put it into the tower. Even if that is under the desk, it might not be that much of a problem. In my experience the sensor responds very nicely to the remote even if the line of sight between them is somewhat obstructed.
They could, but the keyboard is, I would have thought, much much more likely to be in a predictably close position to the screen in the vast majority of cases.
However the best solution I think, was suggested by someone on these forums. I don't know, whether it has been quoted here already, because I did not go through all the messages. This poster suggested to combine the sensor with an external iSight. That could be connected to any monitor and would probably have a good IR reception because of beeing on top of the monitor and thus very exposed.
Not everyone needs or wants an external iSight. Everyone uses a keyboard. I think my solution works not only because of the exposure/position, but also in the ubiquity of the item. The IR sensors in the other machines are on the machines themselves because that's where it makes sense - but they are there, accessible, whatever your set-up is, wherever you put it (with the possible exception of the mini I guess if you really wanted that hidden away). The keyboard solution would just take the most predictably accessible (and standard) element of the system for a Mac Pro and puts the IR there - a display is optional, an external iSight is optional, the keyboard that comes with every machine - well that's standard.

Mammoth
Jul 15, 10:14 AM
Looking at PC product offerings by ATI (http://www.ati.com/products/workstation/fireglmatrix.html), you can see that they also offer video cards with two dual-link DVI ports on a single card. You can even get this on a Radeon X1900 series card (http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx1900/radeonx1900xtx/specs.html).
I believe you are wrong (http://www.ati.com/designpartners/media/images/RX1900_Board_lg.jpg).
(Believe)
I believe you are wrong (http://www.ati.com/designpartners/media/images/RX1900_Board_lg.jpg).
(Believe)
orthodoc
Nov 28, 08:22 PM
Actually, they do. They also got paid on every blank tape sold when cassettes were big. I think it is crazy for everyone to think that the music industry is greedy when it getting squeezed out of all of their revenue streams. So, Apple makes hundreds of millions off of their back on the itunes site, and a billion off of iPod sales, and they cannot share in the wealth?
It doesn't cost the consumer any more, why wouldn't you want the people who actually make the music you are listening to get compensated?
This debate is stale. People want something for nothing.
Getting squeezed out of a revenue stream is just part of being in business. Either adapt or go away. Nothing entitles them to a portion of the iPod sales. They make their money off of the sale of the actual music they produce. Should they get a portion of each computer sold as well? After all, the computer is used to both download and play the music. Dumb argument.
It doesn't cost the consumer any more, why wouldn't you want the people who actually make the music you are listening to get compensated?
This debate is stale. People want something for nothing.
Getting squeezed out of a revenue stream is just part of being in business. Either adapt or go away. Nothing entitles them to a portion of the iPod sales. They make their money off of the sale of the actual music they produce. Should they get a portion of each computer sold as well? After all, the computer is used to both download and play the music. Dumb argument.
valiar
Jul 27, 01:02 PM
Ouch.
And I have just bought a 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro.
I know what everybody would say - "buy the machine that is available now". That is what I am saying to myself.
Still - ouch :(
And I have just bought a 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro.
I know what everybody would say - "buy the machine that is available now". That is what I am saying to myself.
Still - ouch :(
LagunaSol
Mar 23, 09:33 AM
Exactly. What people don't understand is that the iPad market is more comparable to the iPod Touch then the iPhone for which there still isn't any competition.
They're in denial.
They're also waiting for the "inevitable" buy-one-Android-tablet-get-one-free deals that are sure to happen (just like with smartphones). Right? ;)
They're in denial.
They're also waiting for the "inevitable" buy-one-Android-tablet-get-one-free deals that are sure to happen (just like with smartphones). Right? ;)
Moyank24
Feb 28, 08:35 PM
rape and paedophilia both involve lack of consent. Although paedophilia has to do with that the mind is attracted to pre-pubescent children in the same way that homosexuality causes attraction to the same sex. Both cases are untreatable.
Huh?
Wouldn't it also, then, be like the same way that heterosexuality causes attraction to the opposite sex?
Huh?
Wouldn't it also, then, be like the same way that heterosexuality causes attraction to the opposite sex?
OzyOly
Apr 6, 11:43 AM
Can't wait. Shall be my new Work machine. :)
NebulaClash
Apr 27, 09:53 AM
And I'm sure when the next Apple-gate story gets created, the blind fanbois will jump to their defense. :rolleyes:
And once again the Apple fans will turn out to have been correct.
And once again the Apple fans will turn out to have been correct.
peterdevries
Apr 27, 08:50 AM
Your type of apathy in the long term will do more harm than good.
There is a big difference between voluntarily and involuntarily giving out personal information and that's what was at stake here.
Apple admitted error - it's ok - you can admit it might not have been in the best interest of consumers too. Apple won't come and take your iPhone away.
Well said, but as Apple has already stated they are not collecting this information for other use than speeding up location. Considering the fact that cases against Apple are already underway, I trust the information they released today to be accurate. It would be foolish to mislead customers while proceedings have started.
Many people that cried outrage are actually ignoring more obvious privacy issues: twitter, foursquare and facebook status updates, and eg. the announcement today that TomTom actually actively sells location and speed data from drivers to the police, to aid in the strategic placement of speed cameras.
There is a big difference between voluntarily and involuntarily giving out personal information and that's what was at stake here.
Apple admitted error - it's ok - you can admit it might not have been in the best interest of consumers too. Apple won't come and take your iPhone away.
Well said, but as Apple has already stated they are not collecting this information for other use than speeding up location. Considering the fact that cases against Apple are already underway, I trust the information they released today to be accurate. It would be foolish to mislead customers while proceedings have started.
Many people that cried outrage are actually ignoring more obvious privacy issues: twitter, foursquare and facebook status updates, and eg. the announcement today that TomTom actually actively sells location and speed data from drivers to the police, to aid in the strategic placement of speed cameras.
marksman
Apr 25, 04:38 PM
Prove it.
The burden of proof is not on him or Apple and you can't prove a negative.
The burden of proof would be on those bringing the lawsuit or people like yourself to prove apple is doing something with this data.
The burden of proof is not on him or Apple and you can't prove a negative.
The burden of proof would be on those bringing the lawsuit or people like yourself to prove apple is doing something with this data.
NoSmokingBandit
Dec 7, 06:21 PM
I was saving up for a Lambo before i remembered i can get a murcielago with the voucher thing i got with the game.
I did kinda just blow a ton of money on a Mine's R34. Its awesome and should get me through the GT World Cup easily enough.
I did kinda just blow a ton of money on a Mine's R34. Its awesome and should get me through the GT World Cup easily enough.
Blue Velvet
Apr 27, 02:22 PM
1. You opened it in Illustrator, not InDesign.
2. After I opened it in Illustrator like you did it did reveal some interesting things. It seems that fields #20 and #22 are on individual layers.
They're not. The proper file is flat. I downloaded and opened the PDF from the White House. Flat in both Illustrator and Photoshop, just one group on one layer... and no security on the PDF. No embedded fonts.
This is a fraud.
2. After I opened it in Illustrator like you did it did reveal some interesting things. It seems that fields #20 and #22 are on individual layers.
They're not. The proper file is flat. I downloaded and opened the PDF from the White House. Flat in both Illustrator and Photoshop, just one group on one layer... and no security on the PDF. No embedded fonts.
This is a fraud.

NJRonbo
Jun 14, 06:04 PM
Wait a sec...
Had to read that again...
If I get a PIN tomorrow at 1pm EST I am guaranteed
a phone on launch day? I don't have to stand in line
that morning?
They told me differently when I called the store citing
NO RESERVATIONS.
Had to read that again...
If I get a PIN tomorrow at 1pm EST I am guaranteed
a phone on launch day? I don't have to stand in line
that morning?
They told me differently when I called the store citing
NO RESERVATIONS.
Blue Velvet
Apr 27, 03:19 PM
I tried, I discovered layers.
Fact: There are "layers" if you can even call them that.
Another Fact: They mean nothing.
They're not layers in any common use of the word in design. However, for want of a better word, they're elements. Those looking for them need to view the file in outline mode in Illustrator (Apple Y)
Of course not, they will find something else to argue about.
True... and I'll leave that for others. It was a mistake of mine to look at MR today and be sucked into the stupidity. Now I really must take leave of all of you...
Fact: There are "layers" if you can even call them that.
Another Fact: They mean nothing.
They're not layers in any common use of the word in design. However, for want of a better word, they're elements. Those looking for them need to view the file in outline mode in Illustrator (Apple Y)
Of course not, they will find something else to argue about.
True... and I'll leave that for others. It was a mistake of mine to look at MR today and be sucked into the stupidity. Now I really must take leave of all of you...
walterwhite
Apr 25, 01:54 PM
Lawyers never seem to see or feel the Karma stick for nonsensical and litigious lawsuits that just end up effecting the rest of us... that do our best to be good human beings.
rezenclowd3
Sep 1, 03:42 PM
I imagine most of the standard cars will be skipped over for multiplayer. Anyone up for a Volvo 240DL race?? I doubt it ;)
I will reserve judgment for the reviews and when I put my dirty paws on it.
I will reserve judgment for the reviews and when I put my dirty paws on it.
cvaldes
Mar 22, 02:17 PM
Lack of Flash support is the achilles heel of iPad. I hope Jobs gets off his high horse and relents.
Every day that Flash doesn't live on smartphones and tablets (all manufacturers, not just Apple), more content moves from Flash to HTML5. The relevance of Flash decreases a little bit every single day.
I've been an iPod touch owner since 2007 and I've adapted quite well. I also have an iPad and the Skyfire web browser will do Flash movie conversion.
Lack of Flash on portable devices = not a big deal to Joe Consumer
Every day that Flash doesn't live on smartphones and tablets (all manufacturers, not just Apple), more content moves from Flash to HTML5. The relevance of Flash decreases a little bit every single day.
I've been an iPod touch owner since 2007 and I've adapted quite well. I also have an iPad and the Skyfire web browser will do Flash movie conversion.
Lack of Flash on portable devices = not a big deal to Joe Consumer
twoodcc
Aug 27, 01:06 AM
i just hope they don't forget the mac mini
n00bst3r
Sep 18, 11:51 PM
The thing is Apple is shooting itself in the foot because it knows that all the Prosumers research enough that they know there is better available. Apple is losing alot of sales by not being prepared. I would think that Apple would get 2nd priority to Dell on shipments so they should have a good stock of C2D.
robotx21
Sep 19, 12:51 PM
I'm kinda glad they didn't release the macbook pro's today. All that means, if they are released next week, it will be more than just a minor update :-D Here's to hoping!
Synapple
Apr 20, 02:00 PM
Let's not forget that big companies file lawsuits not only when they think they have a rock solid case.
Lawsuits are also filed to 1) deter competitors (not only the specific one that gets sued) and 2) raise a point in the media (in this case the point being Apple invents, competitors are copycats).
Of course, had the case been deemed totally unfounded by Apple Legal and their bunch of advisors, it wouldn't have been brought to court at all.
At the same time, if there is any chance that the case has some merit, a company will sue for sure, if points 1 and 2 above are not considered to do more damage than good.
Conversely, solid lawsuits are not brought forward because of the bad impact sueing might have in the media.
In this case Apple might have sued not necessarily because they think they'll win, but also, and maybe most importantly, to reinstate their position in the market. Even though some might read this as a crazy action from Apple, it is also likely that people with no particular tech interest (and still potential customers) will hear about it and get the message that Apple is defending what they have invented against a copycat.
Lawsuits are also filed to 1) deter competitors (not only the specific one that gets sued) and 2) raise a point in the media (in this case the point being Apple invents, competitors are copycats).
Of course, had the case been deemed totally unfounded by Apple Legal and their bunch of advisors, it wouldn't have been brought to court at all.
At the same time, if there is any chance that the case has some merit, a company will sue for sure, if points 1 and 2 above are not considered to do more damage than good.
Conversely, solid lawsuits are not brought forward because of the bad impact sueing might have in the media.
In this case Apple might have sued not necessarily because they think they'll win, but also, and maybe most importantly, to reinstate their position in the market. Even though some might read this as a crazy action from Apple, it is also likely that people with no particular tech interest (and still potential customers) will hear about it and get the message that Apple is defending what they have invented against a copycat.
No comments:
Post a Comment