dontwalkhand
Mar 30, 12:59 AM
Hey Apple,
I don't want my iPhone 5 to be leaking radiation...
Too soon? :cool::rolleyes:
I hope you know that cell phones emit radiation.
I don't want my iPhone 5 to be leaking radiation...
Too soon? :cool::rolleyes:
I hope you know that cell phones emit radiation.
BRLawyer
Nov 23, 03:54 PM
Sounds like a virus in itself. A pointless piece of software which just hogs your RAM. Totally useless for Mac OS X.
Absolutely true. Just for kicks I downloaded it and scanned ALL my HDs. Results?
- for 2,500,000 files, it took at least 8 hours while slowing my Mac to a crawl for anything else - Dual-core CPU usage of 100% on average (out of 200%);
- Of course it didn't find anything relevant for Macs; just 2 VERY old Windows worms that were apparently attached to a couple of archived Outlook messages received by my Windows PC at work - these files were just part of a dormant 2006 backup of my Windows work files stored on my Mac for more than 4 years.
Following that waste of time, I simply clicked on Remove Sophos and got rid of it. Nice effort and free, but irrelevant nonetheless. Wake me up again when there is a real virus for OS X.
Absolutely true. Just for kicks I downloaded it and scanned ALL my HDs. Results?
- for 2,500,000 files, it took at least 8 hours while slowing my Mac to a crawl for anything else - Dual-core CPU usage of 100% on average (out of 200%);
- Of course it didn't find anything relevant for Macs; just 2 VERY old Windows worms that were apparently attached to a couple of archived Outlook messages received by my Windows PC at work - these files were just part of a dormant 2006 backup of my Windows work files stored on my Mac for more than 4 years.
Following that waste of time, I simply clicked on Remove Sophos and got rid of it. Nice effort and free, but irrelevant nonetheless. Wake me up again when there is a real virus for OS X.
Kane08
Mar 29, 09:48 PM
The idea of cloud storage is that you have another copy of your data on external servers with much more bandwidth and server maintenance and backup than you can manage at home. Then you can access that cloud from a multiple of devices that may or may not have the local storage space for all that data.
I routinely use 3 different laptops (have access to 5) and 3 mobile devices. I've backup up my content at home on multiple external HDD (the bigger AC powered 3.5" drives and more portable 2.5" drives). But to get my content on my devices I was forever syncing and resyncing having to pick & chose what content I wanted to access on the device.
Amazon's music cloud allows me to create one backup resource for my music on an external server farm. They worry about maintaining the HDD and connectivity to the net. I can access my music and playlists on my memory-challenged mobile device or that netbook I only take along on trips and always forget to sync.
Since adding Dropbox and Evernote to my arsenal of tools I've been able to eliminate the need to carry around USB HDDs entirely. I can work on projects with whatever computer I happen to be using.
The reason for sour grapes here (I suspect) is that Amazon beat Apple to the punch. Apple's been sitting on Lala for 2 freaking years!!!! To take music with you syncing is mandatory and storage space comes at a premium on Apple devices. Even the new Home Sharing features of iOS 4.3 pale in comparison to StreamToMe and a DYNDNS account.
I love Amazon's move. I routinely chose them for music downloads over iTunes anyway due to better pricing. And best of all Amazon will be taking on the music industry's insane demands that consumers have multiple licenses to listen to their own music!!! Someone's gotta take RIAA down to reality or else we'll all get sued for 75 trillion dollars just for making copies of our own music files.
I think people forget it was Amazon that successfully pushed for DRM-free digital music. Before then everything you bought was by subscription or made invalid if you switched HDDs and forgot to back up your licenses. Including the vaunted iTunes library.
Lol, there are no sour grapes at all, my point was that I don't want large online backup, I want a big dumb pipe to access my own things on my own computer. Like I said, maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I want to rely on an outside source as little as possible. With all the experience I have with information gathering, I just personally want to allow as little info farming of me as possible
I routinely use 3 different laptops (have access to 5) and 3 mobile devices. I've backup up my content at home on multiple external HDD (the bigger AC powered 3.5" drives and more portable 2.5" drives). But to get my content on my devices I was forever syncing and resyncing having to pick & chose what content I wanted to access on the device.
Amazon's music cloud allows me to create one backup resource for my music on an external server farm. They worry about maintaining the HDD and connectivity to the net. I can access my music and playlists on my memory-challenged mobile device or that netbook I only take along on trips and always forget to sync.
Since adding Dropbox and Evernote to my arsenal of tools I've been able to eliminate the need to carry around USB HDDs entirely. I can work on projects with whatever computer I happen to be using.
The reason for sour grapes here (I suspect) is that Amazon beat Apple to the punch. Apple's been sitting on Lala for 2 freaking years!!!! To take music with you syncing is mandatory and storage space comes at a premium on Apple devices. Even the new Home Sharing features of iOS 4.3 pale in comparison to StreamToMe and a DYNDNS account.
I love Amazon's move. I routinely chose them for music downloads over iTunes anyway due to better pricing. And best of all Amazon will be taking on the music industry's insane demands that consumers have multiple licenses to listen to their own music!!! Someone's gotta take RIAA down to reality or else we'll all get sued for 75 trillion dollars just for making copies of our own music files.
I think people forget it was Amazon that successfully pushed for DRM-free digital music. Before then everything you bought was by subscription or made invalid if you switched HDDs and forgot to back up your licenses. Including the vaunted iTunes library.
Lol, there are no sour grapes at all, my point was that I don't want large online backup, I want a big dumb pipe to access my own things on my own computer. Like I said, maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I want to rely on an outside source as little as possible. With all the experience I have with information gathering, I just personally want to allow as little info farming of me as possible
balamw
Apr 9, 09:46 PM
So if the parentheses are solved first why not just put them in front? Why go through all the semantics? Do scientists purposely make it this hard when solving equations?
Part of the problem is reducing equations to to typewritten ASCII text.
In a real scientific or math paper we would take care to typeset it clearly using TeX or some other way to reinforce the order of operations.
As many have said, there is no uncertainty in this particular example except for those people who are not used to dealing with even more complex expressions.
B
Part of the problem is reducing equations to to typewritten ASCII text.
In a real scientific or math paper we would take care to typeset it clearly using TeX or some other way to reinforce the order of operations.
As many have said, there is no uncertainty in this particular example except for those people who are not used to dealing with even more complex expressions.
B
ravenvii
May 4, 04:23 PM
the worst part is that we don't know if and how many points he had at the beginning, and/or if any monster or trap was pre-placed in the mansion. Nor we know the 'price-list" and stats of monsters and trap (all of which i think we should)
Actually, I can answer a few of those questions.
The villain isn't given any points prior to the start of the game, so as of round 1, he has 2 turns (points). There are no monsters nor traps pre-placed in the mansion.
As for the price-list and stats, that's secret.
As for your re-written rules, I'm taking your suggestion and cleaning it up, then putting it in the OP. With full credit, of course. ;)
Actually, I can answer a few of those questions.
The villain isn't given any points prior to the start of the game, so as of round 1, he has 2 turns (points). There are no monsters nor traps pre-placed in the mansion.
As for the price-list and stats, that's secret.
As for your re-written rules, I'm taking your suggestion and cleaning it up, then putting it in the OP. With full credit, of course. ;)
Thataboy
Aug 7, 03:30 PM
There are many of you I want to beat with a spiky stick right now. Let's consolidate you into one bullet-point list of whiners:

FS09031 Apple iPhone 4G Bumper

Apple umper case fails to

iPhone 4 Bumper Case Review

Product Name: iPhone 4 Bumper

iPhone 4 Bumper Cases

White Bumper Case for Apple

The free cases Steve Jobs

iPhone 4 Bumpers Bummer and

Iphone4 bumper case cover

white iphone 4 1

Case for iPhone 4 (White)

iphone 4 white bumper case.

launch of white iPhone 4
nuckinfutz
May 7, 11:26 AM
It should be free. Further lock people into this ecosystem. Besides, the future is in the cloud...
You've said the magic words Friscohoya. "Lock". Unlike Google's web initiative, Apple making MobileMe free can only benefit iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad apps and the Mac community.
I still think there should be a paid version for heavy duty users that want a better performing iDisk and more cloud features. But the masses would be happy with lite versions of what we have now sans the cost.
People need to remember that Apple is building an NC datacenter...no make that a HUGE NC datacenter. It is so large that it defies logic as to what they're going to do with it. Current MobileMe subscriptions cannot explain why this datacenter is 500 thousand sq ft.
I expect that we're going to see Lala style music streaming from this dc. Free MobileMe is likely and other cloud services.
Good article on NC datacenter with pic (http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100222/that�s-apple�s-new-data-center-where�s-the-giant-glass-cube/)
You've said the magic words Friscohoya. "Lock". Unlike Google's web initiative, Apple making MobileMe free can only benefit iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad apps and the Mac community.
I still think there should be a paid version for heavy duty users that want a better performing iDisk and more cloud features. But the masses would be happy with lite versions of what we have now sans the cost.
People need to remember that Apple is building an NC datacenter...no make that a HUGE NC datacenter. It is so large that it defies logic as to what they're going to do with it. Current MobileMe subscriptions cannot explain why this datacenter is 500 thousand sq ft.
I expect that we're going to see Lala style music streaming from this dc. Free MobileMe is likely and other cloud services.
Good article on NC datacenter with pic (http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100222/that�s-apple�s-new-data-center-where�s-the-giant-glass-cube/)
cybermat
May 7, 06:31 PM
I hope free doesn't mean linking it up to their iAd service and pushing ads.
Benjy91
Apr 25, 09:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)
Interesting how the guy is a total dick when writing to Steve. Nice to see SJ keeps his cool when these idiots with a massive sense of entitlement choose to hit the send button.
Hes not acting like a dick, he's just worried because of what hes heard.
I know your email to Steve would begin with "Your Royal Appleness" and end with "Your faithful Man-Servant"
The man has heard his phone is tracking his location, and is naturally, entitled to be worried.
Interesting how the guy is a total dick when writing to Steve. Nice to see SJ keeps his cool when these idiots with a massive sense of entitlement choose to hit the send button.
Hes not acting like a dick, he's just worried because of what hes heard.
I know your email to Steve would begin with "Your Royal Appleness" and end with "Your faithful Man-Servant"
The man has heard his phone is tracking his location, and is naturally, entitled to be worried.
ravenvii
May 4, 10:28 PM
I'm surprised. :)
Why would the villain ever move out of the lair?
Are we to assume there are unlimited traps and monsters? Are these of all types, that is, 1 point type, 2 point type, etc.?
As to the first question, f I answer that, I risk revealing too much. :)
As to the second, yes the villain has unlimited traps and monsters. And yes, there are different types that costs different amounts of points. The more points, the bigger and badder the monster or trap is, obviously.
Why would the villain ever move out of the lair?
Are we to assume there are unlimited traps and monsters? Are these of all types, that is, 1 point type, 2 point type, etc.?
As to the first question, f I answer that, I risk revealing too much. :)
As to the second, yes the villain has unlimited traps and monsters. And yes, there are different types that costs different amounts of points. The more points, the bigger and badder the monster or trap is, obviously.
Padraig
Apr 23, 06:22 PM
a retina display on the 13" MBP would be the one thing that would get me to upgrade almost immediately.
I'd settle for 1440x900. It's got such an incredibly poor panel for the price point.
I'd settle for 1440x900. It's got such an incredibly poor panel for the price point.
Glideslope
Mar 28, 10:55 AM
You can update hardware silently on a different day and still dedicate time to the two major OSes. I don't see the big deal. The MacBook Pros got Quad Core/Thunderbolt treatment but there was only a press release. Shame the iPhone cycle will be slightly extended this year though but oh well.
Sept 2011.
iPhone 5 / iPad HD/Wi-Fi/3G/ New iMacs with SandyBridge Quads.
Sept 2012
iPhone 6 LTE / iPad 3 HD/LTE / Tinted/Smoke Transparent Aluminum. :apple:
Sept 2011.
iPhone 5 / iPad HD/Wi-Fi/3G/ New iMacs with SandyBridge Quads.
Sept 2012
iPhone 6 LTE / iPad 3 HD/LTE / Tinted/Smoke Transparent Aluminum. :apple:
toddybody
Apr 5, 02:28 PM
Nothing wrong with a Scion there, buddy. ;)
HA ha! Guess what my first new car was (when i turned 17)...an 05' Scion TC.
The thing was underpowered, not great fuel econ, a fuel injection sensor went bad at 30k miles, the window motors got really slow quickly, the dash looked like Kabul after a while, and of course as soon as i bought one...so did everyone else. It was a happy happy day when I got a used SAAB:) Sorry for the rant...SCIONS are just crappy cars...but i guess you get what you pay for :p
HA ha! Guess what my first new car was (when i turned 17)...an 05' Scion TC.
The thing was underpowered, not great fuel econ, a fuel injection sensor went bad at 30k miles, the window motors got really slow quickly, the dash looked like Kabul after a while, and of course as soon as i bought one...so did everyone else. It was a happy happy day when I got a used SAAB:) Sorry for the rant...SCIONS are just crappy cars...but i guess you get what you pay for :p
Mac-Rumours
May 4, 04:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)
The entire idea of restoring from a Time Machine backup has always been illogical to me.
If Time Machine backs up everything, then it backs up whatever problems you had that resulted in your need for restore.
Time Machine has limited real use, and its basically limited to accidentally deleting things.
Indeed, which is why I also do a Carbon Copy Clone once in a while. Most people, for some reason, just use Time Machine. Maybe they never have encountered a catastrophic disk failure. Seems like a big risk to take.
CCC would also copy any issues (apart from hardware faults) so how would that be better?
The entire idea of restoring from a Time Machine backup has always been illogical to me.
If Time Machine backs up everything, then it backs up whatever problems you had that resulted in your need for restore.
Time Machine has limited real use, and its basically limited to accidentally deleting things.
Indeed, which is why I also do a Carbon Copy Clone once in a while. Most people, for some reason, just use Time Machine. Maybe they never have encountered a catastrophic disk failure. Seems like a big risk to take.
CCC would also copy any issues (apart from hardware faults) so how would that be better?
Applejuiced
Mar 26, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure.. I do think the iPhone 5 SHOULD be delayed a few months on their part as the iPhone 4 is still selling like crazy and they have not tapped out that market.
You're right about sales and its still very popular but to keep up with the competition they need to release one every year and maybe even sooner if they can IMO.
Android and win mobile come out with new phones every few months and lots of better hardware and other stuff trying to take away from the iphone.
They're flooding the market with cheaper and more powerfull smartphones, the longer Apple takes the more marketshare they will lose.
You're right about sales and its still very popular but to keep up with the competition they need to release one every year and maybe even sooner if they can IMO.
Android and win mobile come out with new phones every few months and lots of better hardware and other stuff trying to take away from the iphone.
They're flooding the market with cheaper and more powerfull smartphones, the longer Apple takes the more marketshare they will lose.
ScoopOZ
Nov 27, 12:37 AM
I have just been told that on a Sunday from home, Todd Rutherford, Microsoft�s e-Home Program Manager at Microsoft in Seattle contacted an Australian Company that is working on wireless speakers for Apple asking them for information.
He claims that Microsoft is "keen to get everything they can on Apples e home activities including media centres, wireless initiatives and tablet PC initiatives.
Does anyone know of any third party Companies in the US that have lodged patents for Apple related home entertainment technology?
I know who to talk to in Taiwan but I am keen to chase down the US firms that are working with Apple on new home entertainment automation.
I am also told that Apple is working on an open standard type technology for the home that other Companies can license.
He claims that Microsoft is "keen to get everything they can on Apples e home activities including media centres, wireless initiatives and tablet PC initiatives.
Does anyone know of any third party Companies in the US that have lodged patents for Apple related home entertainment technology?
I know who to talk to in Taiwan but I am keen to chase down the US firms that are working with Apple on new home entertainment automation.
I am also told that Apple is working on an open standard type technology for the home that other Companies can license.
MacGeek1993
May 4, 06:34 PM
I don't like this at all.
I mean, yeah, hopefully they will distribute Mac OS X Lion on disc in retail stores but I like to have physical copies of my software, rather than a file on my computer. The chance of data corruption is far less likely, depending on how well you take care of your discs.
Also, I'm estimating that Mac OS X Lion will be a pretty large file. Maybe 4gb? Not everyone has broadband, some people are still on dial-up. Can you imagine how long it would take downloading a 4gb file over 56k?
Also, how will they distribute the download? Will the file be an ISO or DMG file? How do you install it from that file?
I mean, yeah, hopefully they will distribute Mac OS X Lion on disc in retail stores but I like to have physical copies of my software, rather than a file on my computer. The chance of data corruption is far less likely, depending on how well you take care of your discs.
Also, I'm estimating that Mac OS X Lion will be a pretty large file. Maybe 4gb? Not everyone has broadband, some people are still on dial-up. Can you imagine how long it would take downloading a 4gb file over 56k?
Also, how will they distribute the download? Will the file be an ISO or DMG file? How do you install it from that file?
0815
May 4, 04:44 PM
What about Enterprise users?
The can use the not preferred option ... preferred does not mean its the one and only option - it means it is one of n options (n >=2)
The can use the not preferred option ... preferred does not mean its the one and only option - it means it is one of n options (n >=2)
LightSpeed1
Apr 5, 01:54 PM
I knew that was coming.
beg_ne
Mar 29, 09:37 AM
I wonder which genius at Amazon thought it was a good idea to make their cloud service work in the US only.
If you don't have a US based IP address you are locked out of the system. Can't even sign up and see what it looks like. Also you can't purchase either mp3's or video from Amazon if you originate from a non-US IP address. Even if you have proper payment/billing information in the US.
IMO their informational video is outright lying when they say you can access your files anytime and anywhere.
Apparently in Amazonland anywhere = The US and ONLY the US.
So if you get this setup in the US and travel to a foreign country your amazing, anywhere & anytime "cloud" storage magically goes away.
Looks like Apple will have to step in and show these morons how it's done yet again.
If you don't have a US based IP address you are locked out of the system. Can't even sign up and see what it looks like. Also you can't purchase either mp3's or video from Amazon if you originate from a non-US IP address. Even if you have proper payment/billing information in the US.
IMO their informational video is outright lying when they say you can access your files anytime and anywhere.
Apparently in Amazonland anywhere = The US and ONLY the US.
So if you get this setup in the US and travel to a foreign country your amazing, anywhere & anytime "cloud" storage magically goes away.
Looks like Apple will have to step in and show these morons how it's done yet again.
bretm
Apr 5, 01:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
It is completely legitimate to jailbreak your phone. But a good idea for scion to put in mice type that jailbreaking your phone may have unpredictable results and is not endorsed or recommended by apple or Toyota in any way. Just like the mice type for everything else on a car ad.
It is completely legitimate to jailbreak your phone. But a good idea for scion to put in mice type that jailbreaking your phone may have unpredictable results and is not endorsed or recommended by apple or Toyota in any way. Just like the mice type for everything else on a car ad.
sonictonic
Aug 11, 02:47 PM
Everyone waiting on the Core 2 Duo MacBook needs to get a clue.
It's the same folks who were falling over waiting to WWDC to come so they could order their Core 2 Duo MacBooks after the keynote!
Apple IS NOT going to move the MacBook to a Core 2 Duo until they've updated:
1) MacBook Pro
2) iMac
3) Maybe even Mac Mini, since it's been out forever!
The MacBook is barely three months old. It may get a speed bump and/or price cut soon, but won't get a new chip.
All of you saying Apple has to upgrade it to a Core 2 Duo to complete with Dell, HP, etc - why? Why do they HAVE to? Will they explode if they don't? Will the sun stop shining? Will all the world's puppies die?
Of course they'll upgrade it eventually. That doesn't mean it needs to be upgraded as soon as the chips are available. If you look at other PC maker's sites, most of their machines don't even have the Core Duo chips yet; there's no rush.
You can't claim Apple will inevitable act a certain way now that they're on Intel chips; you don't know that. They have no history of using Intel chips. Just because your bright minds think it would be a good idea to move the MB line to the latest and greatest chip whenever a new one is released by Intel because "that's what the other guys are doing," it doesn't mean Apple agrees with you.
What we DO know for a fact is Apple like to differentiate between consumer and pro lines, and Apple has never been one to put the latest chips into the iMac or Mac Mini level machines - and I don't see either of that changing.
Well said! :)
It's the same folks who were falling over waiting to WWDC to come so they could order their Core 2 Duo MacBooks after the keynote!
Apple IS NOT going to move the MacBook to a Core 2 Duo until they've updated:
1) MacBook Pro
2) iMac
3) Maybe even Mac Mini, since it's been out forever!
The MacBook is barely three months old. It may get a speed bump and/or price cut soon, but won't get a new chip.
All of you saying Apple has to upgrade it to a Core 2 Duo to complete with Dell, HP, etc - why? Why do they HAVE to? Will they explode if they don't? Will the sun stop shining? Will all the world's puppies die?
Of course they'll upgrade it eventually. That doesn't mean it needs to be upgraded as soon as the chips are available. If you look at other PC maker's sites, most of their machines don't even have the Core Duo chips yet; there's no rush.
You can't claim Apple will inevitable act a certain way now that they're on Intel chips; you don't know that. They have no history of using Intel chips. Just because your bright minds think it would be a good idea to move the MB line to the latest and greatest chip whenever a new one is released by Intel because "that's what the other guys are doing," it doesn't mean Apple agrees with you.
What we DO know for a fact is Apple like to differentiate between consumer and pro lines, and Apple has never been one to put the latest chips into the iMac or Mac Mini level machines - and I don't see either of that changing.
Well said! :)
Finallyfamous
Apr 10, 12:11 PM
I agree with I student UK using the constraints of / makes it rather ambiguos (did I spell that right) as I originally read it. I believed the 2(9+3) to be in the denominator in which case the answer is clearly 2
rxse7en
Aug 11, 10:53 AM
Could Apple technically squeeze a Xeon proc into the MBP?
No comments:
Post a Comment