MikeTheC
Nov 25, 09:19 PM
They sold out to MS because the idiots at Palm couldn't find their butt with a flashlight and both hands. Seriously in 2001 the CEO of Palm stood infront of a crowd at CES and stated our users don't want color, sound etc. It was the beginning of the end because by the time they figured out that yes. Not only do users want color and sound they also want the ability to multitask. Something that POS (Notice that Palm OS and Peice of **** share the same acronym.) STILL to this day doesn't really do. Well it sort of does it in a craptacular manner. My point is Palm doomed them selves because they had management who didn't have a clue or simply didn't have the resources to really revamp the OS from the ground up. I'm willing to bet there is legacy code in POS that dates back to v1. Because POS never had its OS X its Windows 2000. It never had its rewrite. All Palm has been doing is slapping on a new addition to the house and calling it NEW and improved!
It isn't. It sucks and the Pocket PC or Windows Mobile (ick I hate that name.) kicks the living snot out of POS right now in pretty much every way imaginable. Heck Palm is so lost that they are trying to pull an Apple. they purchased some *nix company in China that has experience with mobile versions of *nix and right now is trying to migrate POS over to a *nix flavor of OS.
Unfortunately unlike Apple its too little, too late.
Palm went to Windows because they didn't want to stay stuck in the mobile equivalent of DOS.
This is one of those times where, if MacRumors.com had a Karma Points system (and if I, in turn, had some Karma points) I would Karma-bump the heck outta this post. It's so true, and it's so absolutely dead-on in it's critical analysis of the situation that there's little, if anything, to be added to it.
Apple went to "something else", starting with the Copeland project, because they realized even way back then in the B.S. (that is, Before Steve -- hey, lookie, another awesome acronym!) that Mac OS Classic was a technological cul-de-sac. It was exactly as SilliconAddict has described PalmOS -- er, I mean POS. (You know, I really, really, really have to remember that one. God, I'm still laughing over it as I write this.)
Even Microsoft went to "something else", although unlike Apple they chose to go with their own in-house-developed successor, since DOS 8bit, Win8, Win16, and Win9x code was essentially an obsolete OS technology.
So here we have Palm, arguably one of the greatest innovators (though not really a pioneer, as the kudos and credit for that goes to Apple's Newton development group) of PDAs ever, going down the same hole into the same quagmire that plagued the likes of Commodore, Sony's BetaMax, etc. You'd think with all the MBAs and other college-educated people they've hired over the years that this would be abundantly obvious *and* fundamentally core to their business operational mindset. However, it's quite clear that it isn't.
Thus go the way of all who do not study history and learn from it.
It isn't. It sucks and the Pocket PC or Windows Mobile (ick I hate that name.) kicks the living snot out of POS right now in pretty much every way imaginable. Heck Palm is so lost that they are trying to pull an Apple. they purchased some *nix company in China that has experience with mobile versions of *nix and right now is trying to migrate POS over to a *nix flavor of OS.
Unfortunately unlike Apple its too little, too late.
Palm went to Windows because they didn't want to stay stuck in the mobile equivalent of DOS.
This is one of those times where, if MacRumors.com had a Karma Points system (and if I, in turn, had some Karma points) I would Karma-bump the heck outta this post. It's so true, and it's so absolutely dead-on in it's critical analysis of the situation that there's little, if anything, to be added to it.
Apple went to "something else", starting with the Copeland project, because they realized even way back then in the B.S. (that is, Before Steve -- hey, lookie, another awesome acronym!) that Mac OS Classic was a technological cul-de-sac. It was exactly as SilliconAddict has described PalmOS -- er, I mean POS. (You know, I really, really, really have to remember that one. God, I'm still laughing over it as I write this.)
Even Microsoft went to "something else", although unlike Apple they chose to go with their own in-house-developed successor, since DOS 8bit, Win8, Win16, and Win9x code was essentially an obsolete OS technology.
So here we have Palm, arguably one of the greatest innovators (though not really a pioneer, as the kudos and credit for that goes to Apple's Newton development group) of PDAs ever, going down the same hole into the same quagmire that plagued the likes of Commodore, Sony's BetaMax, etc. You'd think with all the MBAs and other college-educated people they've hired over the years that this would be abundantly obvious *and* fundamentally core to their business operational mindset. However, it's quite clear that it isn't.
Thus go the way of all who do not study history and learn from it.
Eidorian
Jul 22, 11:14 PM
Maybe the low end MacBook will keep Yonah and get a price drop, while the higher end MacBook, black and white, will get Merom. That might lead to the most sales, to both those looking for a cheaper MacBook, and those waiting for Merom.I don't think Apple should divide a single line between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo. The average idiot customer won't be able to conprehend why Merom is performs better at the same clock speed as Yonah. Between two entirely separate product lines it's not a problem. Unless you start throwing in products with Yonah/Merom at the same clock speed. Watch those heads spin.
zorinlynx
May 6, 08:03 AM
Why would they do this? Intel processors give among the best performance per watt on the market, and have power saving modes so advanced that you can get 8-9 hours of regular usage out of a Macbook Pro that is also one of the fastest laptops on the market when pushed hard.
I hate these unfounded rumors; they make people hesitant to invest in a platform. If Apple changes processors in the Mac it will likely be to AMD CPUs, which would be just fine as it would barely require software changes at all.
Even a low end Intel x86 CPU... hell, even an Atom trounces the ARM processors. They're different architectures meant for different purposes.
I hate these unfounded rumors; they make people hesitant to invest in a platform. If Apple changes processors in the Mac it will likely be to AMD CPUs, which would be just fine as it would barely require software changes at all.
Even a low end Intel x86 CPU... hell, even an Atom trounces the ARM processors. They're different architectures meant for different purposes.
itcheroni
Apr 15, 11:25 AM
...

hayley williams cosmopolitan

hayley williams cosmo magazine

Hayley Williams on Cosmo cover

Hayley Williams of Paramore

hayley williams cosmo article.

hayley williams cosmo article.

hayley williams cosmo

hayley williams cosmopolitan

hayley williams cosmopolitan

hayley williams cosmo magazine

hayley williams cosmo magazine

hayley williams cosmo magazine

hayley williams cosmo magazine

hayley williams cosmo article.

hayley williams cosmo magazine

Popeye206
Apr 5, 04:34 PM
Android is still open... They are just going to be much more tighter on what Products qualify to get the google Logo and the android name.
I predict it's going to go much tighter than that. I keep seeing too many articles about security risks and issues with Android.... it's going to bite them hard and they will need to tighten the ship significantly or loose control.
Open source is a great concept, but in a commercial world, someone needs to step in a set the rules and walls or it just becomes it's own monster and a total mess.
Within the year, we'll see major changes in the Android camp.
I predict it's going to go much tighter than that. I keep seeing too many articles about security risks and issues with Android.... it's going to bite them hard and they will need to tighten the ship significantly or loose control.
Open source is a great concept, but in a commercial world, someone needs to step in a set the rules and walls or it just becomes it's own monster and a total mess.
Within the year, we'll see major changes in the Android camp.
ChazUK
Apr 18, 03:39 PM
Apple scared of the competition and trying to sue them.
No. They're protecting their IP.
No. They're protecting their IP.
Nuks
Aug 12, 11:25 AM
Alright, I was planning on getting the 2.0 ghzMacbook W/ 1 gig of ram from the apple education store (canada) for 1460 Canadian. However, I was going to get it before the Nano promotion was up, and therefore, could sell the nano and make back about 260 (or so) Canadian. Is it worth it to wait for Merom, and not make back the 260? What are the benefits of Merom?
Basically, is it worth $260?
EDIT: 2 questions:
1. I think the nano promotion is up September 16. Will they probably be announced before then?
2. If the promotion is up, is it worth the $260?
Thanks.
Basically, is it worth $260?
EDIT: 2 questions:
1. I think the nano promotion is up September 16. Will they probably be announced before then?
2. If the promotion is up, is it worth the $260?
Thanks.
fastlane1588
Aug 12, 11:08 AM
i think a new mpb w/Black Anodized Aluminum and an easy HD swap out capability would be awsome!
Regul8tR
Nov 29, 10:53 PM
@marvel2:
BLT told me that they are waiting to receive the shipment to fill the current orders. (ETA 12/2/09)
After that, they will post the kit back on the site.
BLT told me that they are waiting to receive the shipment to fill the current orders. (ETA 12/2/09)
After that, they will post the kit back on the site.

fivetoadsloth
Apr 10, 05:59 PM
Math is a language we engineers, scientists, economists, etc... are fluent in.
To us this is not-ideal delivery method, but it has a definite meaning.
Looking at the thread, I think there is a clear dividing line. Native math speakers: scientists, engineers, programmers, etc... say 288. Others who are effectively non-native speakers may interpret 2 due to their lack of fluency.
B
My grammar may be terrible, but I dare say that I can do math. I do lots of it. The divide balamw mentioned really does seem to exist, and is a little disappointing.
Pretty much
You get 288 if you know what you are doing and do not make the necessary assumptions that you have to make in order to get 2
When your job relies on solving equations and manipulating them, you can bet it does as far as understanding the fundamentals of solving equations
Yes. Again, from the posts I have seen those that never really stopped using math all agree: 288 is the correct answer in the presented form. Ideally such an equation would be presented either with very clear parenthesis/multiplication signs or typeset in LaTeX or similar.
To us this is not-ideal delivery method, but it has a definite meaning.
Looking at the thread, I think there is a clear dividing line. Native math speakers: scientists, engineers, programmers, etc... say 288. Others who are effectively non-native speakers may interpret 2 due to their lack of fluency.
B
My grammar may be terrible, but I dare say that I can do math. I do lots of it. The divide balamw mentioned really does seem to exist, and is a little disappointing.
Pretty much
You get 288 if you know what you are doing and do not make the necessary assumptions that you have to make in order to get 2
When your job relies on solving equations and manipulating them, you can bet it does as far as understanding the fundamentals of solving equations
Yes. Again, from the posts I have seen those that never really stopped using math all agree: 288 is the correct answer in the presented form. Ideally such an equation would be presented either with very clear parenthesis/multiplication signs or typeset in LaTeX or similar.

cirus
Apr 24, 01:54 PM
You contradict yourself here. A 27" iMac is probably already retina, considering the viewing distance should be around 30" away.
As the distance grows, the PPI treshold to achieve the "retina" effect of "Eye can't distinguish the individual pixels" becomes lower. Given enough distance, 48 PPI can be enough to be dubbed "retina display" (your standard 50" 1080p TV).
No, you're not wrong. But I'm not either. I'll let you figure out why (think about the lower case b in Mbps vs MB of RAM ;) ). Unless I'm misinterpreting something, I doubt DP 1.2 can push out 21 gigaBYTES of data per second...
As for the 6990 listing that as max resolution, I'm betting that has more to do with current LCD display limitation (that is the max resolutions you'll find on an LCD monitor) than with actual hardware limitation. The hardware is capable of more than that. Some of these cards with a single GPU have 2-4 DP outputs capable of driving 2-4 of these 2560x1600 monitors. The GPU itself doesn't a problem pushing out these pixels and DP 1.2 makes it so they can push it over a single connection.
Sony was there first with the Vaio Z. 13.3", 1920x1080 baby. If it weren't so expensive it would be mine and I'd be back to running Linux.
Thanks, a 'duh' moment for me.
However, ati does list the 6990 as having a maximum display resolution of 2650 x 1600 per display though it can handle up to 6 displays. There will have to be a change somewhere. (Though you could probably write a program that would allow this resolution). That is still going to max out thunderbolt so you would not be able to drive one of those displays at native with a macbook pro.
As the distance grows, the PPI treshold to achieve the "retina" effect of "Eye can't distinguish the individual pixels" becomes lower. Given enough distance, 48 PPI can be enough to be dubbed "retina display" (your standard 50" 1080p TV).
No, you're not wrong. But I'm not either. I'll let you figure out why (think about the lower case b in Mbps vs MB of RAM ;) ). Unless I'm misinterpreting something, I doubt DP 1.2 can push out 21 gigaBYTES of data per second...
As for the 6990 listing that as max resolution, I'm betting that has more to do with current LCD display limitation (that is the max resolutions you'll find on an LCD monitor) than with actual hardware limitation. The hardware is capable of more than that. Some of these cards with a single GPU have 2-4 DP outputs capable of driving 2-4 of these 2560x1600 monitors. The GPU itself doesn't a problem pushing out these pixels and DP 1.2 makes it so they can push it over a single connection.
Sony was there first with the Vaio Z. 13.3", 1920x1080 baby. If it weren't so expensive it would be mine and I'd be back to running Linux.
Thanks, a 'duh' moment for me.
However, ati does list the 6990 as having a maximum display resolution of 2650 x 1600 per display though it can handle up to 6 displays. There will have to be a change somewhere. (Though you could probably write a program that would allow this resolution). That is still going to max out thunderbolt so you would not be able to drive one of those displays at native with a macbook pro.
jcampa
Aug 11, 09:47 AM
So all this rumors about the Merom MBP are getting strong, all I want is to have it available at the end of this month or the beginning of the next, do you guys think this is possible?
silentnite
Apr 26, 04:05 PM
Competition is good , however with that being said. It's any one's game from month to month depending on how well the o.s. is developed & how often an update comes out. I'm sure apple has a lot up it's sleeve and I'm not just saying that because I own the iPhone 4. I also own a G-2 from Google.
asdf542
Mar 30, 05:59 PM
Enjoy your brand new 129$ Mac OS X latest revision (the most advanced, the most unique, the most... bla bla bla bla...) carrying more than XXX features (aka... just making the Mac OS X experience more iOS-alike so you get used to AppStore since soon you'll have to go through this method of delivery as there won't be any other one, because Mr. Jobs wants more money...)
Yep... I think that 129$ sounds quite ok, for nothing :D
Though I'm not surprise... there's nothing shocking that they can implement. This "update" is aimed at training people into AppStore (aka money)... and they even charge for it :D
I lol'd. No matter what people will complain. When Snow Leopard was released people wanted more UI changes and more features. Now when Lion is released all people want is under the hood improvements. SMH
Yep... I think that 129$ sounds quite ok, for nothing :D
Though I'm not surprise... there's nothing shocking that they can implement. This "update" is aimed at training people into AppStore (aka money)... and they even charge for it :D
I lol'd. No matter what people will complain. When Snow Leopard was released people wanted more UI changes and more features. Now when Lion is released all people want is under the hood improvements. SMH

kretzy
Sep 11, 08:04 AM
I told Rob about the event yesterday...
"Great, all we need is another iPod." :rolleyes:
Poor Rob. :D
If it is something impressive I may just have to get it - seeing as I've never had an iPod (shocking, I know).
"Great, all we need is another iPod." :rolleyes:
Poor Rob. :D
If it is something impressive I may just have to get it - seeing as I've never had an iPod (shocking, I know).
jericho878
Sep 11, 06:22 AM
Probably nothing significant but I noticed that all but the standard configuration of the MacBook Pro now ships within 5-7 business days. Last night (Sunday), the same configuration shipped within 3-5 business days.
arn
Apr 18, 04:23 PM
all things d posted some images from the lawsuit
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/04/18/165102-iphone_galaxy_comparison.jpg
http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/20110418/apple-files-patent-suit-against-samsung-over-galaxy-line-of-phones-and-tablets/
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/04/18/165102-iphone_galaxy_comparison.jpg
http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/20110418/apple-files-patent-suit-against-samsung-over-galaxy-line-of-phones-and-tablets/
petsounds
Apr 18, 04:19 PM
Suing for patent infringement is one thing, and Apple certainly holds some patents regarding the features of the iPhone and iPad. However, you cannot sue for look & feel. Apple should know this better than anyone after losing its protracted lawsuit in the 80s against Microsoft, which was based on Windows taking GUI elements of the Mac OS.
ImNoSuperMan
Aug 4, 02:07 AM
Never buy an apple product!!!
As soon as you do something new and better comes out!!!
AAAHHHHHH
I am typing this away on my new Macbook, Core 1 Duo; which i bought under the self-brainwashed reasoning that the MBP alone would see 2x2. Why you ask? Cuz I figured hey, the MB JUST came out, why refresh it every 2 months! The MBP has been out like 8 months, that makes sense.
I can only PRAY I am right.
No that my Macbook will be instant crap... I just COULD have waited until september.
Damn you apple...
Dont worry. I m still pretty sure that you wont get meroms in MB before this november. All we might see is a little price drop for the current Yonah MBs.
At best, there might be a Merom BlackBook available with Merom MBP. Thereby making a fool of everyone who`s bought a BlackBook for 150$ premium:p . Huh,,, I`d love to see a 1599$ Merom BlackBook with backlit keyboard this monday. Thank God I got the white book instead.:)
As soon as you do something new and better comes out!!!
AAAHHHHHH
I am typing this away on my new Macbook, Core 1 Duo; which i bought under the self-brainwashed reasoning that the MBP alone would see 2x2. Why you ask? Cuz I figured hey, the MB JUST came out, why refresh it every 2 months! The MBP has been out like 8 months, that makes sense.
I can only PRAY I am right.
No that my Macbook will be instant crap... I just COULD have waited until september.
Damn you apple...
Dont worry. I m still pretty sure that you wont get meroms in MB before this november. All we might see is a little price drop for the current Yonah MBs.
At best, there might be a Merom BlackBook available with Merom MBP. Thereby making a fool of everyone who`s bought a BlackBook for 150$ premium:p . Huh,,, I`d love to see a 1599$ Merom BlackBook with backlit keyboard this monday. Thank God I got the white book instead.:)
Popeye206
Apr 26, 03:27 PM
Makes sense. Android is really becoming the defacto alternative to iOS.
This is not about iOS vs Android. Both are doing well. It's the others who need to worry like RIM and MS. Where RIM was trying to beat the iPhone 2 years ago, now they have two platforms kicking their butt.
However, it's really not a fair comparison when you compare the iPhone vs Android. One is a phone and the other an OS. Wake me up when one single model of an Android based phone out sells the iPhone, then you can say Apple is in trouble.
This is not about iOS vs Android. Both are doing well. It's the others who need to worry like RIM and MS. Where RIM was trying to beat the iPhone 2 years ago, now they have two platforms kicking their butt.
However, it's really not a fair comparison when you compare the iPhone vs Android. One is a phone and the other an OS. Wake me up when one single model of an Android based phone out sells the iPhone, then you can say Apple is in trouble.
jowie
May 6, 05:39 AM
Ahem: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=128198
:D
:D
nastebu
Mar 30, 08:18 AM
Saying happy employees are good employees is an idiom, like a penny saved is a penny earned.
Thank you for the English lesson. If I ever find myself in Arizona, I will be sure to enroll in your class.
It's even funnier since "a penny saved is a penny earned" isn't an idiom at all. An "idiom," in this sense, is a group of words that has a meaning as a whole other than the literal sense of the words. "Raining cats and dogs" is an idiom. "A penny saved is a penny earned" is a proverb, or possibly a cliche.
Thank you for the English lesson. If I ever find myself in Arizona, I will be sure to enroll in your class.
It's even funnier since "a penny saved is a penny earned" isn't an idiom at all. An "idiom," in this sense, is a group of words that has a meaning as a whole other than the literal sense of the words. "Raining cats and dogs" is an idiom. "A penny saved is a penny earned" is a proverb, or possibly a cliche.
DTphonehome
Jul 30, 09:28 AM
Verizon was reliable, although their network has been terrible. As I've said, I never get 3 bars or above, and I live in Denver! The service will constantly go out whenever I'm in NYC.
Dude, you need to hit *228 when you travel to update your roam list. And I live in Midtown Manhattan and with my Treo650, I've never had a dropped call and the only time I don't have service is in the basement of a massive building. I've lived in NYC all my life and have had a phone with literally every provider here, and VZV trumps them ALL in terms of network reliability. The phones are crap, the data is overpriced, and they cripple bluetooth, but the service is the most important feature for me, so I stay with them.
Amp'd is actually owned by Verizon, adnd Boost is owned by SprintNextel, using the same chirping technology as Nextel. Forgot the deal about Virgin.
None of those companies are "owned" by the major carriers...they are MVNOs who buy bandwidth from the majors to set up their own virtual network. They are independent from the majors.
Dude, you need to hit *228 when you travel to update your roam list. And I live in Midtown Manhattan and with my Treo650, I've never had a dropped call and the only time I don't have service is in the basement of a massive building. I've lived in NYC all my life and have had a phone with literally every provider here, and VZV trumps them ALL in terms of network reliability. The phones are crap, the data is overpriced, and they cripple bluetooth, but the service is the most important feature for me, so I stay with them.
Amp'd is actually owned by Verizon, adnd Boost is owned by SprintNextel, using the same chirping technology as Nextel. Forgot the deal about Virgin.
None of those companies are "owned" by the major carriers...they are MVNOs who buy bandwidth from the majors to set up their own virtual network. They are independent from the majors.
mcrain
Apr 19, 12:10 PM
Everyone does pay taxes. The statement that 40+% of the population paid no taxes is a lie. They may have paid no Federal Income Taxes, but that does NOT mean they paid no taxes.
No comments:
Post a Comment