callme
Mar 29, 12:59 PM
Considering that, when the iPhone was first announced, Jobs stated he would be happy with a 1% share of the market, Apple isn't doing too badly. If MS gets their act together with the Windows phone, I can see it getting a larger share. I guess how big a share depends on how Apple and Google respond with their own innovations.
He said he would be happy with 1% of the TOTAL MOBILE PHONE MARKET SHARE, not just SMARTPHONES!
What % of the total do Apple actually have?
The latest figure I could see was 1.5%, not that much over the target the Steve set.
Don't read the % figure of the Smartphone market as being the target Steve was after!
He said he would be happy with 1% of the TOTAL MOBILE PHONE MARKET SHARE, not just SMARTPHONES!
What % of the total do Apple actually have?
The latest figure I could see was 1.5%, not that much over the target the Steve set.
Don't read the % figure of the Smartphone market as being the target Steve was after!
IJ Reilly
Aug 24, 06:47 PM
It may be a bookkeeping trick, but it's considered part of Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP). The IRS and the SEC certainly doesn't have problem with it and ammorization is actually encouraged. Apple used the same method to record the $250 million cash investment in flash memory plants last year, as well as the $400 million it is setting aside for the new Cupertino campus. Neither of those big cash outlays really affected their profit recording.
I didn't mean to imply that it was somehow illegal or improper. My point was, even an amortized expense is an expense, and booking it as an asset doesn't mean it will produce a return on investment. All those numbers go on the expense side of the ledger, one way or another. Spread out over years or taken as a lump sum, they're still spending the money.
I didn't mean to imply that it was somehow illegal or improper. My point was, even an amortized expense is an expense, and booking it as an asset doesn't mean it will produce a return on investment. All those numbers go on the expense side of the ledger, one way or another. Spread out over years or taken as a lump sum, they're still spending the money.
Northgrove
Apr 28, 06:09 PM
Microsoft is doing OK, now with Office and Windows 7. All of these are quite major successes for them. Windows Phone 7 still seems a bit shaky to me, but with the Office suite and Windows doing well now, they're OK. That they're beat by Apple is simply because Apple is doing far better than OK - not that MS is doing poorly. MS has their core products doing well -- Apple is grabbing large parts of markets, hardware (iPhone, iPad) as well as software (iOS). Both at once, when they've been big in neither before. That difference is sure to show up in the revenue. :)
iMacZealot
Sep 18, 12:04 AM
There are ways of unlocking CDMA phones and using them on other networks.
:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:
MattDell
Oct 12, 11:08 PM
Not sure if it's already been pointed out, but GAP is also releasing a Red line of clothes tomorrow to support AIDS in Africa. I wonder if Oprah will be visiting various retail stores supporting the Red thing tomorrow.
I really want the Red SLVR phone, but it's not sold here.
-Matt
I really want the Red SLVR phone, but it's not sold here.
-Matt
macboy62
Sep 14, 01:02 AM
I heard I think here at macrumors that Sony's mp3/phone is selling like hotcakes and I think they branded it as a walkman/cell phone.
What I hope is that the iPhone will be on Cingular, since my entire family and most of my friends are on it. I'd pass on the phone if they do one of those new deals where you're piggy-backing on other networks like Alltel (alltell, altell??) or it's on another carrier.
mpstrex
Here in Japan Sony's Chaku-Uta (mobile/cell phone music) dominates the market. With Chaku-Uta digital music sales out selling iTunes. Almost every Japanese phone can play Chaku or Chaku-Uta music.
The Cell phone networks in Japan do have good connections to the internet and mobile devices sell extremely well here. iTunes on a cell phone would work well here but Sony and Chaku-Uta may have it sewn up.
What I hope is that the iPhone will be on Cingular, since my entire family and most of my friends are on it. I'd pass on the phone if they do one of those new deals where you're piggy-backing on other networks like Alltel (alltell, altell??) or it's on another carrier.
mpstrex
Here in Japan Sony's Chaku-Uta (mobile/cell phone music) dominates the market. With Chaku-Uta digital music sales out selling iTunes. Almost every Japanese phone can play Chaku or Chaku-Uta music.
The Cell phone networks in Japan do have good connections to the internet and mobile devices sell extremely well here. iTunes on a cell phone would work well here but Sony and Chaku-Uta may have it sewn up.
D4F
Apr 19, 07:01 AM
Apple is pathetic.

bommai
Sep 19, 04:07 PM
I don't think Apple is aiming for the uber-geek with $25k worth of home entertainment equipment. IMHO, they will never be able to compete in that market.
I think they are reaching for the average joe blow that has a servicable $400 TV that he bought at Wal-mart, and maybe, just maybe, has a stereo hooked up to it. The average Joe doesn't care, and can't tell, that it's Dolby Surround and not Dolby Digital.
I disagree. The average Joe is not the customer for iTV. Average Joe might buy a $40 DVD player from Walmart to hook up to a $200 TV. Remember, the iTV is meant for a HDTV. In fact you cannot even easily hook it up to a non-HDTV. It has only HDMI and component video outputs. These outputs are found only on HDTVs. Granted the price of HDTV is coming down pretty fast. You can buy a CRT based HDTV for under $500 now. However, I still standby my assertion that iTV will be bought by people that have computers with a large enough hard drive and a home network. This is a little bit more complicated than just owning an iPod and buying tunes off of iTS. For iPod, you need one computer connected to internet and an iPod. For iTV, you need a computer with a large HD, a home network, a TV with HDMI or component video input and an iTV.
Dolby Digital / 5.1 discrete tracks need to be worked out soon!!
I think they are reaching for the average joe blow that has a servicable $400 TV that he bought at Wal-mart, and maybe, just maybe, has a stereo hooked up to it. The average Joe doesn't care, and can't tell, that it's Dolby Surround and not Dolby Digital.
I disagree. The average Joe is not the customer for iTV. Average Joe might buy a $40 DVD player from Walmart to hook up to a $200 TV. Remember, the iTV is meant for a HDTV. In fact you cannot even easily hook it up to a non-HDTV. It has only HDMI and component video outputs. These outputs are found only on HDTVs. Granted the price of HDTV is coming down pretty fast. You can buy a CRT based HDTV for under $500 now. However, I still standby my assertion that iTV will be bought by people that have computers with a large enough hard drive and a home network. This is a little bit more complicated than just owning an iPod and buying tunes off of iTS. For iPod, you need one computer connected to internet and an iPod. For iTV, you need a computer with a large HD, a home network, a TV with HDMI or component video input and an iTV.
Dolby Digital / 5.1 discrete tracks need to be worked out soon!!
Brandon Sharitt
Sep 26, 07:06 AM
I won't be in the market for a new phone until late next year, around August or so. Hopefully by then Cingular's exclusiveness will be over, although I'm not sure who my next carrier will be, Cingular or T-mobile.
LightSpeed1
Apr 25, 01:35 PM
Could just be me, but I think the design is perfect. Apple is still way ahead of the competition with the unibody design. How much better can it get?
logandzwon
Mar 30, 01:36 PM
Yes, you know what an "app store" means if you know what an "app" means.
Does an "app" mean an Apple program?
It's doesn't matter what MS calls it. There's a class of programs everywhere called "applications". There's no other name for it.
Applications are a strict subset of programs.
So, here is an interesting argument, as app is short for Applications, and Applications are a strict subset of programs, doesn't the App Store technically sell Programs, not Apps? Thus, the term is no generic at all. "Program Store" would the generic term. It's the same as a club called "Liqueur Store" (which is TMed.)
Does an "app" mean an Apple program?
It's doesn't matter what MS calls it. There's a class of programs everywhere called "applications". There's no other name for it.
Applications are a strict subset of programs.
So, here is an interesting argument, as app is short for Applications, and Applications are a strict subset of programs, doesn't the App Store technically sell Programs, not Apps? Thus, the term is no generic at all. "Program Store" would the generic term. It's the same as a club called "Liqueur Store" (which is TMed.)
thedarkhorse
Apr 25, 02:25 PM
Retina resolution screens, high speed flash main drive with SSD/HDD secondary, no optical bay and carbon fiber.
Jowl
Apr 11, 03:00 AM
What I don't get is why can't Apple enable any iOS device (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad) as an Airplay target device? Obviously iOS supports it as Apple TV can be a target for Airplay from iTunes.
AirFrame (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fus%2Fapp%2Fairframe%2Fid416480052%3Fmt%3D8&rct=j&q=airframe%20itunes&ei=6bSiTYuHCZGwhAfMuaDxBA&usg=AFQjCNEFFllGAXPM2zbfQOCBM6D-_HZzHw&cad=rja) allows sending video between iOS devices. I've sucesfully used it from iPhone to iPad
AirFrame (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fus%2Fapp%2Fairframe%2Fid416480052%3Fmt%3D8&rct=j&q=airframe%20itunes&ei=6bSiTYuHCZGwhAfMuaDxBA&usg=AFQjCNEFFllGAXPM2zbfQOCBM6D-_HZzHw&cad=rja) allows sending video between iOS devices. I've sucesfully used it from iPhone to iPad
freebooter
Sep 6, 01:23 AM
Yeah... yeah... Movies for the American audience...
...I don't even get TV shows... :(
Consider yourself twice blessed :rolleyes:
...I don't even get TV shows... :(
Consider yourself twice blessed :rolleyes:
toddybody
Apr 22, 12:49 PM
I think the big advantage to this downgrade will be buying clearance and refurbished Nvidia-based MBAs for 25% discounts... Unless Apple somehow fits a standard voltage SB CPU in the 13" MBA, I think most will be better off with C2D and Nvidia 320m at discounts.
Thats what I'm thinking...hoping to grab a 13 at ~1000/1100 on Amazon.
Thats what I'm thinking...hoping to grab a 13 at ~1000/1100 on Amazon.
sisyphus
Sep 10, 10:05 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it appears that the improvement was significantly overstated. Macrumors has now updated that thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=232126).
Doh! Oh well I still think there are many present and future uses for more cores. Especially if Apple releases a video airport express sorta thingy on Tuesday. If you could use your Mac as a video server that will do all the leg work then send it over the air to the "express" or multiple "expresses" in the house while still working on it, you've just developed yet another way to use up processor cycles on the machine. If SJ wants the Mac to be the hub of your digital lifestyle it is going to be asked to do more at once. Which is of course good!
Doh! Oh well I still think there are many present and future uses for more cores. Especially if Apple releases a video airport express sorta thingy on Tuesday. If you could use your Mac as a video server that will do all the leg work then send it over the air to the "express" or multiple "expresses" in the house while still working on it, you've just developed yet another way to use up processor cycles on the machine. If SJ wants the Mac to be the hub of your digital lifestyle it is going to be asked to do more at once. Which is of course good!
orangephoto
Oct 12, 04:44 PM
all political and humanitarian concerns aside.. I have been waiting for a red iPod since forever.
Red is my fav color lol
and the fact that it helps somebody is amazing. i dont care who it is. everyone deservs help. so everyone should stop complaining that men dont get it or whatever. shut up please
really
and red. i mean omfg amazing.
sorry if i sound stupid.
Red is my fav color lol
and the fact that it helps somebody is amazing. i dont care who it is. everyone deservs help. so everyone should stop complaining that men dont get it or whatever. shut up please
really
and red. i mean omfg amazing.
sorry if i sound stupid.
WiiDSmoker
Apr 22, 07:18 AM
Clean your glasses.
Nice response. :rolleyes:
Nice response. :rolleyes:
2nyRiggz
Sep 13, 09:17 PM
Its an ipod with a longer screen and a slider.....well at least for me I see nothing too interesting in it...just another ipod you can talk to.
Still neat though.
Bless
Still neat though.
Bless
Sabenth
Aug 23, 05:39 PM
I hope this eventually leads to Sound Blaster support for macs.
dought that very much there are better sound cards on the market
dought that very much there are better sound cards on the market
ctachme
Sep 26, 08:30 AM
Agrhhh... why does Apple have to be so stupid? Do they not know that there are vast areas here in the US where Cingular doesn't support?
Why the hell can't they just sell an unlocked phone and just let us choose providers that actually have service where we live? I really hope someone finds a way to hack these phones and make them carrier-independant! :mad:
Why the hell can't they just sell an unlocked phone and just let us choose providers that actually have service where we live? I really hope someone finds a way to hack these phones and make them carrier-independant! :mad:
PlaceofDis
Oct 27, 08:48 AM
I have no problem with Greenpeace being at the show as long as they back up their findings with facts and conduct themselves in a civil manner. If Microsoft stepped out of line at the show, I would expect them to be kicked out of the show as well.
agreed. Apple should work hard to be a environmentally safe company, but that should stand for all companies too. i don't see why any one single company should be singled out at this point.
agreed. Apple should work hard to be a environmentally safe company, but that should stand for all companies too. i don't see why any one single company should be singled out at this point.
Multimedia
Sep 10, 08:41 PM
I've heard about clovertown coming all along and have put off buying a Mac Pro. I'd much rather have 8 cores then 4 for the work I do.Of course almost everyone here knows I'm with you. I was surprised that the Mac Pro would require such expensive RAM which really puts me off. So I'm hoping that the popularity of Mac Pro RAM will drive down RAM cost to us by the time the Clovertown Mac Pro ships.
BTW it's NOT Cloverton. It's ClovertownIf you are looking for that, the most likely timeframe will be during the release of Leopard as it will release those 4 or 8 cores to do their thing. :DExactly my thinking as well.
BTW it's NOT Cloverton. It's ClovertownIf you are looking for that, the most likely timeframe will be during the release of Leopard as it will release those 4 or 8 cores to do their thing. :DExactly my thinking as well.
YEMandy
Sep 12, 03:26 PM
Well Folks, you all seem to be concerned about if your iPod 5G is outdated..
ever thought about that?
If I got Steve right, no iPod that was sold prior to this very day will be able to play videos from the iTMS sold from this day on - not if Apple hasn't been lying VERY much about the H.264 decoding capabilities of the "old" iPod 5G.
I'd love to be corrected, though...
You're wrong. Older 5g iPods can play the new tv shows and movies from the iTunes store. Lets not get ridiculous here.
ever thought about that?
If I got Steve right, no iPod that was sold prior to this very day will be able to play videos from the iTMS sold from this day on - not if Apple hasn't been lying VERY much about the H.264 decoding capabilities of the "old" iPod 5G.
I'd love to be corrected, though...
You're wrong. Older 5g iPods can play the new tv shows and movies from the iTunes store. Lets not get ridiculous here.
No comments:
Post a Comment