aaronb
Aug 31, 03:50 PM
What I'm confused about is how the movie downloads will be decent quality and not take FOREVER to download. If the quality is great, the download time is going to be ridiculous. If the quality is bad, no one would even consider buying it.
I would rather buy a 15 dollar DVD, rip it into my iPod and still have a DVD that looks good on my TV. That's just IMO.
I would rather buy a 15 dollar DVD, rip it into my iPod and still have a DVD that looks good on my TV. That's just IMO.
T'hain Esh Kelch
Sep 12, 02:45 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, someone reply to my post....
as a person who just purchased the last version of 5gen video ipod, this comes to me as quite a shock really.... i knew this was coming but actaully hoping that it was everything 'rumor' but turns out it's not.....
anyway, my point is:
WHY DIDN'T STEVE MENTION 30 GIG IPOD, WHILE MOST OF THE ATTENTION SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN FOCUSED ON 8O GIG SOLELY??
although 30 and 80 seem to share most of the new features which are obviously crap(game? who plays that? and search bar? i don't need that crap, too shabby, biatch)
but the thing is BATTERY, gosh
they've plugged about how their new 80 gen has total 20 hrs of battery life and 6.5 hrs of video play, but what about freaking 30???? I SERIOUSLY WANNA KNOW.
i've been to apple store and engadget for live broadcast, but there was no info whatsoever on 30's battery, other than its MAXIMUM battery was 14.... the thing i wanna know is its VIDEO MAXIMUM BATTERY.... is it, again 2 hours? i hope so!! cause i just bought this ol' **** at such higher price and now i feel totally duped. well it was my fault in the first place but i thought it was all RUMOR......................GAWD
No need to use large letters like that, it is considered rude on web-boards.
And the thing is, Steve can't mention every single little bit that has changed. Are you too lazy to go to Apples webpage where everything is stated very clearly on the iPods spec page?
as a person who just purchased the last version of 5gen video ipod, this comes to me as quite a shock really.... i knew this was coming but actaully hoping that it was everything 'rumor' but turns out it's not.....
anyway, my point is:
WHY DIDN'T STEVE MENTION 30 GIG IPOD, WHILE MOST OF THE ATTENTION SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN FOCUSED ON 8O GIG SOLELY??
although 30 and 80 seem to share most of the new features which are obviously crap(game? who plays that? and search bar? i don't need that crap, too shabby, biatch)
but the thing is BATTERY, gosh
they've plugged about how their new 80 gen has total 20 hrs of battery life and 6.5 hrs of video play, but what about freaking 30???? I SERIOUSLY WANNA KNOW.
i've been to apple store and engadget for live broadcast, but there was no info whatsoever on 30's battery, other than its MAXIMUM battery was 14.... the thing i wanna know is its VIDEO MAXIMUM BATTERY.... is it, again 2 hours? i hope so!! cause i just bought this ol' **** at such higher price and now i feel totally duped. well it was my fault in the first place but i thought it was all RUMOR......................GAWD
No need to use large letters like that, it is considered rude on web-boards.
And the thing is, Steve can't mention every single little bit that has changed. Are you too lazy to go to Apples webpage where everything is stated very clearly on the iPods spec page?
RollTide
Apr 30, 01:36 PM
Love your Avatar. Sad day though for Michael Scott.
roland.g
Sep 13, 11:57 PM
nokia never fail in making ugly phones
sorry but it's stainless steel, has a nice weight to it, the slider action is awesome (slides out on bearings made by BMW or Benz), plays AAC, so I can use any iTunes song for my Alarm or Ringtone or just media as well as radio reception built in, has bluetooth, not to mention a pretty kick ass golf game. Oh yeah, and it isn't a piece of junk like all those Moto Razrs.
sorry but it's stainless steel, has a nice weight to it, the slider action is awesome (slides out on bearings made by BMW or Benz), plays AAC, so I can use any iTunes song for my Alarm or Ringtone or just media as well as radio reception built in, has bluetooth, not to mention a pretty kick ass golf game. Oh yeah, and it isn't a piece of junk like all those Moto Razrs.
douglasgb
Apr 11, 10:10 AM
Well, thank you, I've heard of Home Sharing. I use it myself on my desktop and laptop. I was referring to an one-click streaming solution like Airtunes. More like "click there to stream music to my mac which is connected to my sound system" than "go to preferences, enable sharing; now wait while I browse your shared library".
I just wish to stream to my mac which is connected to my sound system from other Airtunes capable devices. That involves a hack only on my part and nothing at all to be done on other computers or iOS devices. Call me cheap, but that would be convenient to me and my friends.
To sum up, all I want is a Banana-TV equivalent but just for audio. It looks like it's just a matter of time.
I second this. I already have an AppleTV hooked up to our main A/V center, plus several AEs connected to self-contained CD radios in our kitchen, bedroom, etc. What's missing is the client I can run on my Mac that advertises it as another AirPlay remote speaker so iTunes running on the server in the basement can stream to it. Would be great if it included the ability to control iTunes like the iOS Remote App does.
I just wish to stream to my mac which is connected to my sound system from other Airtunes capable devices. That involves a hack only on my part and nothing at all to be done on other computers or iOS devices. Call me cheap, but that would be convenient to me and my friends.
To sum up, all I want is a Banana-TV equivalent but just for audio. It looks like it's just a matter of time.
I second this. I already have an AppleTV hooked up to our main A/V center, plus several AEs connected to self-contained CD radios in our kitchen, bedroom, etc. What's missing is the client I can run on my Mac that advertises it as another AirPlay remote speaker so iTunes running on the server in the basement can stream to it. Would be great if it included the ability to control iTunes like the iOS Remote App does.
RollTide
Mar 22, 05:58 PM
As I posted in another thread, Amazon is showing low stock. The uk store also seems low, another user saw that first.
I wish we had a separate site to weed through the ios and mac rumors. Just me?
I wish we had a separate site to weed through the ios and mac rumors. Just me?
GoodWatch
May 3, 02:23 PM
Nice pieces of kit. Would this put the top of the line iMacs in the realm of professional photographers who have to do a lot of post processing? Or is the monitor not up to scratch for that? I can see huge external RAID arrays equipped with Thunderbolt to cater for the safe storage of large amounts of RAW files :D

glis
Apr 25, 02:04 PM
The new Macbook Pro will be released in October/November 2011.
clintob
Oct 12, 04:53 PM
Maybe we miss understand each other here, but Im talking about mortality rates of woman and children WITH HIV. Not mortality rates of all women and children. Those are two totally different things...
Oh, okay... misunderstood your first point. But, in that respect, it's worth noting that the corolation you're making could be made for any number of diseases - heart disease, liver failure, certain cancerns, etc. Female mortality rates are generally higher for many diseases. I'm not sure what the scientific reasoning is for this... perhaps someone here has a medical background more developed than mine who would know the answer to that. I would guess it's the same reasoning as for children, in that women are generally smaller and thus likely have less physical cell mass, and thus less innate ability to fight disease?
Either way, your original point is well-taken... but the overall numbers are still heavily skewed towards more men than women being afflicted. Not sure what that means, and at this point we can talk in circles about who is right and who is wrong, but it doesn't amount to much.
It's a terrible tragedy that the disease exists in the first place, let alone spreads, and if donating a percentage of the proceeds from a successful business helps that cause in some way I'm all for it - whether there are alterior motives or not is immaterial. It's a good thing.
Oh, okay... misunderstood your first point. But, in that respect, it's worth noting that the corolation you're making could be made for any number of diseases - heart disease, liver failure, certain cancerns, etc. Female mortality rates are generally higher for many diseases. I'm not sure what the scientific reasoning is for this... perhaps someone here has a medical background more developed than mine who would know the answer to that. I would guess it's the same reasoning as for children, in that women are generally smaller and thus likely have less physical cell mass, and thus less innate ability to fight disease?
Either way, your original point is well-taken... but the overall numbers are still heavily skewed towards more men than women being afflicted. Not sure what that means, and at this point we can talk in circles about who is right and who is wrong, but it doesn't amount to much.
It's a terrible tragedy that the disease exists in the first place, let alone spreads, and if donating a percentage of the proceeds from a successful business helps that cause in some way I'm all for it - whether there are alterior motives or not is immaterial. It's a good thing.
caspersoong
Apr 15, 02:44 AM
This is most unfortunate. Now that TB is a reality, it would be far better if Intel just kills USB 3.0 completely as fast as possible. There is absolutely no advantage whatsoever in having USB survive past 2.0 at this point. With 3.0 barely entering the market, there is no value in letting it get a foothold. It is pathetically obsolete compared to TB.
What is with the comments about wanting USB 3.0 on Macs? What a huge waste of time and money - you should be wanting TB on more peripherals. Even if Intel is going to be dumb enough to keep USB 3.0 around, hopefully Apple will hold the line and refuse to put it in Macs. With Apple's resurgent strength in the computer market while everyone else is tanking, that would be enough incentive to get the peripheral makers to adopt TB.
I must say I completely agree. We should stop looking at the past and move on.
What is with the comments about wanting USB 3.0 on Macs? What a huge waste of time and money - you should be wanting TB on more peripherals. Even if Intel is going to be dumb enough to keep USB 3.0 around, hopefully Apple will hold the line and refuse to put it in Macs. With Apple's resurgent strength in the computer market while everyone else is tanking, that would be enough incentive to get the peripheral makers to adopt TB.
I must say I completely agree. We should stop looking at the past and move on.
wizard
Sep 9, 10:48 AM
I think far to many persons here are dismissing Merom and are not thinking about this rationally. They are getting a 20% boost at the SAME clock speed as the old chips. That is similar to 400 MHz additional performance. Granted one can not scale the MHz without other issues coming into play but still it gives you an idea about how well the chips are doing. On top of that the 64 bit option isn't likely to even be in the picture at the moment nor the other chip improvements.
What I'm getting at is that Merom is demonstrating to be a significant step forward. The real surprise is that Intel actually delivered a nice chip set.
As to the laptop chip in the iMac come on everyone here knows about the thermal issues in that machine. It is no surprise at all. What it does demonstrate clearly is that multiprocessing can deliver very usable performance at very low powers. A number of people where dismissing multiprocessing as the wave of the future a couple of years ago (I remember because I was promoting it) this should cool off those concerns for the majority of the users out there. I'm with you on power usage more manufactures need to look at this issue seriously.
The thing with Merom is that I'm seeing big upside potential performance wise. I'm surprised that more people are not up on this. Intel can accomplish this by tweaking the current process or going to the next generation feature size. Merom is nice but it still needs more effort at power reduction to scale speed.
Thanks
Dave
I think we all knew that Merom would only bring modest performance gains. I'm surprised they're as high as they are. I'm still not sure why they're using the laptop line of processors in their mid range desktop but it's certainly a testament to the power of Intel's new chips. If it keeps the iMac's cool and efficient then it's all good.
What I'm getting at is that Merom is demonstrating to be a significant step forward. The real surprise is that Intel actually delivered a nice chip set.
As to the laptop chip in the iMac come on everyone here knows about the thermal issues in that machine. It is no surprise at all. What it does demonstrate clearly is that multiprocessing can deliver very usable performance at very low powers. A number of people where dismissing multiprocessing as the wave of the future a couple of years ago (I remember because I was promoting it) this should cool off those concerns for the majority of the users out there. I'm with you on power usage more manufactures need to look at this issue seriously.
The thing with Merom is that I'm seeing big upside potential performance wise. I'm surprised that more people are not up on this. Intel can accomplish this by tweaking the current process or going to the next generation feature size. Merom is nice but it still needs more effort at power reduction to scale speed.
Thanks
Dave
I think we all knew that Merom would only bring modest performance gains. I'm surprised they're as high as they are. I'm still not sure why they're using the laptop line of processors in their mid range desktop but it's certainly a testament to the power of Intel's new chips. If it keeps the iMac's cool and efficient then it's all good.
autrefois
Oct 12, 06:20 PM
100% confirmed.
via Chicago Tribune:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5016/25865863uz2.jpg
Sheesh, Apple couldn't even spring for one of those audio splitters so they could each connect a pair of headphones instead of having to share?!?
:)
It's nice that Apple is giving 5% to charity. Hopefully this is the start of a trend with Apple.
via Chicago Tribune:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5016/25865863uz2.jpg
Sheesh, Apple couldn't even spring for one of those audio splitters so they could each connect a pair of headphones instead of having to share?!?
:)
It's nice that Apple is giving 5% to charity. Hopefully this is the start of a trend with Apple.
xjebbx
Sep 4, 08:56 PM
Video, music, pictures, DVD, all sound great, but what i really want is my printer right next to my TV.
MarcelV
Sep 2, 08:37 PM
....but can't find anywhere hard evidence for September 12. Macbidouille is referencing conformation from sources, but don't have a date. Hardmac has a copy of a meeting invite for the 19th. So, will there be a September 12 meeting? I really hope so, as I will be in Vegas that day, and don't mind to pick up some stuff at the Apple store. :)
David305
Mar 30, 01:33 PM
as I type this reply, using Safari, I open and close different "windows" on my iMac.
iLLucionist
Apr 28, 05:59 PM
Microsoft is still doing very well. They're making the best products they ever have done and as a customer I am very pleased with all of my Microsoft purchases.
- Zune desktop software
- Zune hardware and mobile software
- Windows Phone 7
- Windows 7
- Office 2010
- Office 2011 for Mac
- Xbox 360
- Xbox Live
All great products and deserve to be class leaders if they are not already. I can't think of another company (including Apple) that has put out such a fantastic range of very good products.
Zune? Uhm...no, not really. The Zune is discontinued, at least in the long run. Current models will remain available for a while, but new ones will not come out.
- Zune desktop software
- Zune hardware and mobile software
- Windows Phone 7
- Windows 7
- Office 2010
- Office 2011 for Mac
- Xbox 360
- Xbox Live
All great products and deserve to be class leaders if they are not already. I can't think of another company (including Apple) that has put out such a fantastic range of very good products.
Zune? Uhm...no, not really. The Zune is discontinued, at least in the long run. Current models will remain available for a while, but new ones will not come out.

Silentwave
Sep 16, 10:05 AM
Please apple, Please make it soon. I've just killed ANOTHER phone :(
freeny
Aug 28, 12:46 PM
So, uh.... PowerBook G5's tomorrow?
I think my new rule will be to automatically place anyone using that line on my ignore list.
It lost its funny a long time ago.:rolleyes:
I think my new rule will be to automatically place anyone using that line on my ignore list.
It lost its funny a long time ago.:rolleyes:
iMikeT
Aug 28, 12:34 PM
Quiet upgrade tomorrow?
min_t
Apr 22, 11:29 AM
Should I be pissed having bought the new SSD MB Air 4 months ago?:confused: I deserved some TB speeds.
Mattie Num Nums
Apr 19, 09:01 AM
Android is a huge rip-off of the iPhone, that's obvious. Very early Android was more like a RIM or Symbian-looking thing and when the iPhone appeared it quickly started copying the heck out of that.
BUT - when the iPhone introduced the world to full touch screen phones, how else could someone make the same sort of device without it being a lot like an iPhone? Menus, icons, applications, grids... none of this is exactly new...
I can't stand Android and the layer of pointless fluff like HTC Sense that gets in your way with useless graphical nonsense and widgets. When I got a Desire after an iPhone 3G I thought I had a killer phone and 'got one over on the Apple tax' and would enjoy 'mulitasking' and 'openess'.
For five minutes.... Then I realised iOS is far more usable - even though the Desire was way faster with its 1gz processor much of the old iPhone 3G felt slicker. It makes sense not to have a layer of crap over the basic OS. It makes sense to ration multitasking so the phone doesn't bog down. Music playing on Android is rubbish. The iPhone dock is cool.
That's not to say everything on Android isn't good - in some cases auto text reflow would be GREAT on Safari.
Apple should just ignore the Android cloners and continue to innovate- and offer stripped down slickness as Android gets more and more overwrought.
You do realize that a bare bones Android OS looks nothing like iOS.
BUT - when the iPhone introduced the world to full touch screen phones, how else could someone make the same sort of device without it being a lot like an iPhone? Menus, icons, applications, grids... none of this is exactly new...
I can't stand Android and the layer of pointless fluff like HTC Sense that gets in your way with useless graphical nonsense and widgets. When I got a Desire after an iPhone 3G I thought I had a killer phone and 'got one over on the Apple tax' and would enjoy 'mulitasking' and 'openess'.
For five minutes.... Then I realised iOS is far more usable - even though the Desire was way faster with its 1gz processor much of the old iPhone 3G felt slicker. It makes sense not to have a layer of crap over the basic OS. It makes sense to ration multitasking so the phone doesn't bog down. Music playing on Android is rubbish. The iPhone dock is cool.
That's not to say everything on Android isn't good - in some cases auto text reflow would be GREAT on Safari.
Apple should just ignore the Android cloners and continue to innovate- and offer stripped down slickness as Android gets more and more overwrought.
You do realize that a bare bones Android OS looks nothing like iOS.
Winni
Apr 29, 07:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)
If you compare their investment in R&D to what they manage to churn out, it's pretty sad.
Microsoft doesn't really play in the consumer / gadget / toy market, which simply means that you don't get to see most of their products unless you work in a corporate data center. And unlike Apple, Microsoft -has- data center / server products that people WANT to use and that are years ahead of the pack (Sharepoint Portal Server, Exchange Server, SQL Server, Terminal Services, just to name a few) - and a LOT of their RD goes there.
Also, nobody here should kid themselves - Microsoft still OWNS the desktop and office suite markets. Around a BILLION computers run their software, and even most Macs are dead in the water without Microsoft Office and/or Microsoft Windows (in Boot Camp, Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox).
So Apple was more profitable in the last quarter. Big deal. Somebody with enough time on their hands might want to analyze the spending behavior and amount of staff and level of salaries to find out -WHY- that was the case. Maybe the guys at Microsoft have higher salaries and more vacation. Maybe Ballmer put more money into RD and marketing than in the last quarter. Maybe they bought more startups than before.
Actually, who cares. Both companies are extremely profitable, but Microsoft has been profitable for a couple of decades more than Apple (who almost died in the 1990s while Microsoft was making more money than anybody else).
If you compare their investment in R&D to what they manage to churn out, it's pretty sad.
Microsoft doesn't really play in the consumer / gadget / toy market, which simply means that you don't get to see most of their products unless you work in a corporate data center. And unlike Apple, Microsoft -has- data center / server products that people WANT to use and that are years ahead of the pack (Sharepoint Portal Server, Exchange Server, SQL Server, Terminal Services, just to name a few) - and a LOT of their RD goes there.
Also, nobody here should kid themselves - Microsoft still OWNS the desktop and office suite markets. Around a BILLION computers run their software, and even most Macs are dead in the water without Microsoft Office and/or Microsoft Windows (in Boot Camp, Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox).
So Apple was more profitable in the last quarter. Big deal. Somebody with enough time on their hands might want to analyze the spending behavior and amount of staff and level of salaries to find out -WHY- that was the case. Maybe the guys at Microsoft have higher salaries and more vacation. Maybe Ballmer put more money into RD and marketing than in the last quarter. Maybe they bought more startups than before.
Actually, who cares. Both companies are extremely profitable, but Microsoft has been profitable for a couple of decades more than Apple (who almost died in the 1990s while Microsoft was making more money than anybody else).
Xenc
Apr 4, 12:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)
I am disgusted that this post has a high positive/negative ratio..... this is terrible.
It depends how you look at it.
Some may be voting "Positive" on the fact that the security guard survived the shootout and the robbers were thwarted, or perhaps because they feel justice was served. Or they could be voting in reaction to the arguably heroic actions of the guard.
Likewise, people may vote "Negative" for the fact that a life was lost, or are expressing their opinions against gun crime, or against the crime itself.
tl;dr The ratings don't mean much for this story.
I am disgusted that this post has a high positive/negative ratio..... this is terrible.
It depends how you look at it.
Some may be voting "Positive" on the fact that the security guard survived the shootout and the robbers were thwarted, or perhaps because they feel justice was served. Or they could be voting in reaction to the arguably heroic actions of the guard.
Likewise, people may vote "Negative" for the fact that a life was lost, or are expressing their opinions against gun crime, or against the crime itself.
tl;dr The ratings don't mean much for this story.
iCrizzo
Apr 19, 10:51 AM
Anyone who is stupid enough to confuse a Galaxy S with an iPhone shouldn't own a smartphone anyway. All they have to do is turn over the freaking phone and notice that big Samsung logo to know it's not an Apple product.
Or they could open up the iPhone and see the same Samsung logo tattoo'd all over the parts. :eek:
Or they could open up the iPhone and see the same Samsung logo tattoo'd all over the parts. :eek:
No comments:
Post a Comment