cube
Mar 30, 01:41 PM
So, here is an interesting argument, as app is short for Applications, and Applications are a strict subset of programs, doesn't the App Store technically sell Programs, not Apps? Thus, the term is no generic at all. "Program Store" would the generic term. It's the same as a club called "Liqueur Store" (which is TMed.)
That's like saying it's OK to name a restaurant "Burger Place" because it's technically a "Fast Food Place".
That's like saying it's OK to name a restaurant "Burger Place" because it's technically a "Fast Food Place".
vwcruisn
Mar 23, 05:38 PM
Stay classy Austin :rolleyes:
As for the Senator's request, they cannot be required to take it down. If cops are so overt that apps can bust their checkpoints, maybe they should be floating checkpoints?
It's illegal. Police need to publicly announce check points before setting up. Ironic they would want to pull the app since this is the basis that makes them legal in the first place.
As for the Senator's request, they cannot be required to take it down. If cops are so overt that apps can bust their checkpoints, maybe they should be floating checkpoints?
It's illegal. Police need to publicly announce check points before setting up. Ironic they would want to pull the app since this is the basis that makes them legal in the first place.
dizmonk
Jan 13, 05:20 PM
Ditto
I've been running Sophos for 3 months, with Time Machine via firewire, etc. No issues with either.
2.8ghz i7/16gb
I've been running Sophos for 3 months, with Time Machine via firewire, etc. No issues with either.
2.8ghz i7/16gb
sloken
Apr 20, 11:05 AM
I do not seem to have this file! :D
guess there are some users that are safe....
Is your backup encrypted???
guess there are some users that are safe....
Is your backup encrypted???
milo
Aug 28, 04:18 PM
Speaking of returns, is there a possibility of buying the machine and if they don't auto-upgrade me to the new one, return it and buy a new one?
Only if you buy the machine but don't open the box (unless you're willing to pay a 10% restocking fee). And that's only if you get the standard config, no custom BTO. Plus if you order it, you'll pay shipping back to them.
this goes to show how behind apple is in updating.
clearly they arent ready to adapt to an intel platform. the cant even make simple processor adjustments on time!
all the major companies have made this transition.
Actually NONE of the pc companies have made the transition. They haven't shipped a single machine with the new chips, just made announcements of shipments days or weeks away (and that was just earlier today...even if apple was behind, they'd only be hours behind, not even a full day). Right now apple is only behind in press releases, which has nothing to do with being ready to adapt to an intel platform. Now ranting about PC companies that haven't shipped the new machines yet...THAT is ridiculous.
Only if you buy the machine but don't open the box (unless you're willing to pay a 10% restocking fee). And that's only if you get the standard config, no custom BTO. Plus if you order it, you'll pay shipping back to them.
this goes to show how behind apple is in updating.
clearly they arent ready to adapt to an intel platform. the cant even make simple processor adjustments on time!
all the major companies have made this transition.
Actually NONE of the pc companies have made the transition. They haven't shipped a single machine with the new chips, just made announcements of shipments days or weeks away (and that was just earlier today...even if apple was behind, they'd only be hours behind, not even a full day). Right now apple is only behind in press releases, which has nothing to do with being ready to adapt to an intel platform. Now ranting about PC companies that haven't shipped the new machines yet...THAT is ridiculous.
tigress666
Apr 25, 01:16 PM
Understandable, seeing as you wear Adidas. LOL. :D
On a more serious and intelligent note, let's hope the screen and the rest of the body have a more seamless and look. The current mirror screen looks like it was slapped on a random body. They just don't go together like the previous gen. The Air looks much better.
Ah, I kinda like the two tone look. Though I certainly wouldn't mind if the whole computer was black (though it might look a little bland that way imho).
I will be annoyed if the computer gets a lighter color or they frame the screen in something other than black (sorry, silver and white are both horrible colors to frame a screen with, and besides those and black no other color is really neutral enough for a screen since you need neutrality cause the colors on the screen will change).
On a more serious and intelligent note, let's hope the screen and the rest of the body have a more seamless and look. The current mirror screen looks like it was slapped on a random body. They just don't go together like the previous gen. The Air looks much better.
Ah, I kinda like the two tone look. Though I certainly wouldn't mind if the whole computer was black (though it might look a little bland that way imho).
I will be annoyed if the computer gets a lighter color or they frame the screen in something other than black (sorry, silver and white are both horrible colors to frame a screen with, and besides those and black no other color is really neutral enough for a screen since you need neutrality cause the colors on the screen will change).
oober_freak
Oct 12, 01:41 PM
Please CAN IT!
CAN IT!
My god we cant talk about anything on this board without the core 2 duo macbook/pro crew coming to mess up a thread THAT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH LAPTOP UPDATES
CAN IT!
:mad:
mmm.. Red merom macbooks?
:p
CAN IT!
My god we cant talk about anything on this board without the core 2 duo macbook/pro crew coming to mess up a thread THAT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH LAPTOP UPDATES
CAN IT!
:mad:
mmm.. Red merom macbooks?
:p
chasemac
Sep 6, 03:14 AM
I get it! They will is gonna maybe show it.:)
projectle
Sep 20, 03:44 PM
Right off the bat, I have two final generation Powerbook G4s (one is mine, one is my son's) so I figured that it would be a good side by side test for the new video formats.
I went to iTunes and grabbed a copy of Grosse Pointe Blank and popped the DVD version in for a side by side test.
I have to say that the quality on the iTunes version was very great. There are portions of the video where the quality definitely look better than the DVD version played back through the Apple DVD Player and portions that without a doubt look significantly worse.
When it comes to Title Sequences (Credits and some text overlays in the begining), the DVD wins hands down as the edges get a very choppy on the iTunes version.
When it comes to your normal scenes where people are talking and not much is going on, the iTunes version seems to have the edge (less pixelized backgrounds, appears to have greater detail around edges of fairly stationary objects, etc.).
When it comes to high action sequences, it really is a toss up between the two as neither really look that great (substantial bluring around moving objects).
For the parts of the show that matter, I would say that h264 (iTunes) scales better on larger high resolution screens than MPEG2 (DVD).
I plan on grabbing some stills and editing them together at the seams to see if there really is a noticable difference or if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but that will have to wait for a couple days.
I went to iTunes and grabbed a copy of Grosse Pointe Blank and popped the DVD version in for a side by side test.
I have to say that the quality on the iTunes version was very great. There are portions of the video where the quality definitely look better than the DVD version played back through the Apple DVD Player and portions that without a doubt look significantly worse.
When it comes to Title Sequences (Credits and some text overlays in the begining), the DVD wins hands down as the edges get a very choppy on the iTunes version.
When it comes to your normal scenes where people are talking and not much is going on, the iTunes version seems to have the edge (less pixelized backgrounds, appears to have greater detail around edges of fairly stationary objects, etc.).
When it comes to high action sequences, it really is a toss up between the two as neither really look that great (substantial bluring around moving objects).
For the parts of the show that matter, I would say that h264 (iTunes) scales better on larger high resolution screens than MPEG2 (DVD).
I plan on grabbing some stills and editing them together at the seams to see if there really is a noticable difference or if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but that will have to wait for a couple days.

munkery
Mar 3, 11:57 AM
The Android Market is not curated like the App Store for iOS.
Android users have to report if they think an App they installed is malicious. This is a reputation model for auditing apps. Some users must get burned prior to knowing it is malware.
This could still occur in the iOS app store but is less likely to occur given that Apple checks each app to make sure it uses only approved APIs.
Android users have to report if they think an App they installed is malicious. This is a reputation model for auditing apps. Some users must get burned prior to knowing it is malware.
This could still occur in the iOS app store but is less likely to occur given that Apple checks each app to make sure it uses only approved APIs.
kirk26
Apr 4, 12:46 PM
Wow! When did mall security guards start carrying guns?
Squonk
Sep 26, 08:52 AM
Include all the functionality of the Apple remote to allow the iPhone to drive your iTV and Front Row.
"Mom, hold on a second, I need to change the channel..." :D
"Mom, hold on a second, I need to change the channel..." :D

quagmire
Apr 25, 10:24 AM
Holy crap. I just finished reading the thread. Please stay off the road. You did this **** in your moms E60 M5 with 500 HP? I know where this story is heading. Soon you will take that car to an abandoned airport with 3 of your friends which then you will flip it and kill you and your friends. Or you will do that 155 MPH in a neighborhood. These two examples are true stories of 16-18 year olds kids with an E60 M5 who shared the exact same attitude as you and did those stunts. Please do not drive, learn to fly, etc until you gain the maturity to handle these machines.
You will respond to my post saying that you will never do what those people did. That you're a safe driver and claim you will never do that. Guess what pal? Those kids also claimed the exact same thing. Now four people are dead and the other is screwed.
You will respond to my post saying that you will never do what those people did. That you're a safe driver and claim you will never do that. Guess what pal? Those kids also claimed the exact same thing. Now four people are dead and the other is screwed.
KnightWRX
Apr 19, 07:37 AM
Google probably have a kickass patent portfolio so they'll just countersue.
Google actually doesn't, being an industry newcomer and all (they only appeared at the end of the 90s in the industry). That is one of their Achilles' heels.
Google actually doesn't, being an industry newcomer and all (they only appeared at the end of the 90s in the industry). That is one of their Achilles' heels.
Some_Big_Spoon
Oct 27, 09:10 AM
I'm a Green Peace supporter, but with Bush in the Whitehouse, don't they have bigger fish to fry?

toddybody
May 3, 11:06 AM
Check it out.. 2x 30" Dell's connected to the 27 iMac
Image (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/05/imac-2011-05-03-600-58.jpg)
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/03/apple-imac-hands-on-with-dual-30-inch-displays-video/
Thanks alot:mad: I just slobbered all over my keyboard thanks to your reckless post!
;) Awesome Pic dude
Image (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/05/imac-2011-05-03-600-58.jpg)
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/03/apple-imac-hands-on-with-dual-30-inch-displays-video/
Thanks alot:mad: I just slobbered all over my keyboard thanks to your reckless post!
;) Awesome Pic dude
Evangelion
Sep 14, 04:03 AM
My friend has that phone, it's amazing.
THESE SLIDER PHONES ARE A HUGE HIT RIGHT NOW!
I wished Nokia came up with a successor to Nokia 7110. That phone ROCKED! Remember the stiletto-phones from The Matrix? Those phones didn't really exist. They were modified 8110's, real 8110 had a "manual" slide-mechanism. But the 7110... That's how they worked. You pushed a button, and the phone just snapped open. Very cool, and very, very sexy.
They had such a great design years ago, and it just boggles the mind that they are not using it anymore. 8800 does have something similar, but it opens "gracefully", whereas 7110 snapped open.
THESE SLIDER PHONES ARE A HUGE HIT RIGHT NOW!
I wished Nokia came up with a successor to Nokia 7110. That phone ROCKED! Remember the stiletto-phones from The Matrix? Those phones didn't really exist. They were modified 8110's, real 8110 had a "manual" slide-mechanism. But the 7110... That's how they worked. You pushed a button, and the phone just snapped open. Very cool, and very, very sexy.
They had such a great design years ago, and it just boggles the mind that they are not using it anymore. 8800 does have something similar, but it opens "gracefully", whereas 7110 snapped open.
kevin.rivers
Jul 14, 01:54 PM
Does a 1333MHz bus matter? (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=6)
Not only is the Anandtech Article one of the better ones, they simulated a 1333 bus speed with the X6800-EE processer, and came up with an overall inprovement of 2.4%, with DivX 6.1 providing a 7.5% boost!
Also, to quote the article:
"If Apple does indeed use a 1333MHz Woodcrest for its new line of Intel based Macs, running Windows it may be the first time that an Apple system will be faster out of the box than an equivalently configured, non-overclocked PC. There's an interesting marketing angle."
WOOHOO!!!
I like Anandtech, they are very fair to all sides and give the facts.
Not only is the Anandtech Article one of the better ones, they simulated a 1333 bus speed with the X6800-EE processer, and came up with an overall inprovement of 2.4%, with DivX 6.1 providing a 7.5% boost!
Also, to quote the article:
"If Apple does indeed use a 1333MHz Woodcrest for its new line of Intel based Macs, running Windows it may be the first time that an Apple system will be faster out of the box than an equivalently configured, non-overclocked PC. There's an interesting marketing angle."
WOOHOO!!!
I like Anandtech, they are very fair to all sides and give the facts.
KnightWRX
Apr 23, 12:51 PM
If you read my post more carefully you'll understand I was referring to the people who play games on the 11". As far as I'm concerned, working on a laptop with an external monitor plugged in is an exception (rare) and not something common.
As far as you're concerned maybe, but as far as what's common or not, you're out of it. There's a reason every laptop out there has some kind of external display connector.
But silly me, I must be a moron for using the mini display port right ? :rolleyes:
Perhaps you mean it is capable of everything you need it to do. I used to have a laptop as a single computer at my home. It resembled a Christmas tree pretty much - it had an USB optical mouse, a printer, external speakers, a Yamaha keyboard, card reader and power cord plugged in. I was always plugging and unplugging cables whenever I wanted to move it to another place. Thank goodness I did not come to the idea to attach an external monitor to it.
You're doing it wrong. I plug in 4 cables. Power, Monitor, Speakers, USB. My keyboard/mouse/tablet/Printer/iPhone/iPod all get recognized instantly. That's what the USB hub on my desk is for. 1 cable, all devices.
If Apple had docks, it would be even better. Just drop the laptop in place and voila. But I guess docks just aren't esthetic enough.
There is nothing uncommon about it, so again, thank you for calling me stupid because I dare use a MBA as my only computer and I dare launch games on it, while connected to an external monitor of all things!
Keep your insults for yourself next time.
I was under the understanding that the reason that the current 320M has been so impressive considering the aging Duel Core CPU was the increased speed of data transfer from the SSD meaning a large increase in efficiency in both the CPU and the GPU.
Hum, no. The SSD is still a bottleneck compared to the bus speeds between the CPU and GPU. The 320M is impressive because the Intel GPU is so sub-par. Even a full power Sandy Bridge Intell 3000 HD barely compares to it, and then, only in benchmarks where the CPU is the bottleneck and the C2D is holding back the 320M. In pure GPU bottlenecked benchmarks, the 320M trumps the Intel 3000HD.
That's just the story with Intel. They always sucked at GPUs.
As far as you're concerned maybe, but as far as what's common or not, you're out of it. There's a reason every laptop out there has some kind of external display connector.
But silly me, I must be a moron for using the mini display port right ? :rolleyes:
Perhaps you mean it is capable of everything you need it to do. I used to have a laptop as a single computer at my home. It resembled a Christmas tree pretty much - it had an USB optical mouse, a printer, external speakers, a Yamaha keyboard, card reader and power cord plugged in. I was always plugging and unplugging cables whenever I wanted to move it to another place. Thank goodness I did not come to the idea to attach an external monitor to it.
You're doing it wrong. I plug in 4 cables. Power, Monitor, Speakers, USB. My keyboard/mouse/tablet/Printer/iPhone/iPod all get recognized instantly. That's what the USB hub on my desk is for. 1 cable, all devices.
If Apple had docks, it would be even better. Just drop the laptop in place and voila. But I guess docks just aren't esthetic enough.
There is nothing uncommon about it, so again, thank you for calling me stupid because I dare use a MBA as my only computer and I dare launch games on it, while connected to an external monitor of all things!
Keep your insults for yourself next time.
I was under the understanding that the reason that the current 320M has been so impressive considering the aging Duel Core CPU was the increased speed of data transfer from the SSD meaning a large increase in efficiency in both the CPU and the GPU.
Hum, no. The SSD is still a bottleneck compared to the bus speeds between the CPU and GPU. The 320M is impressive because the Intel GPU is so sub-par. Even a full power Sandy Bridge Intell 3000 HD barely compares to it, and then, only in benchmarks where the CPU is the bottleneck and the C2D is holding back the 320M. In pure GPU bottlenecked benchmarks, the 320M trumps the Intel 3000HD.
That's just the story with Intel. They always sucked at GPUs.
Mac Fly (film)
Sep 26, 09:47 AM
All I can say is whoever is the provider in Europe, Apple better hurry the hell up and release the damn thing!! :mad:
Nuvi
Nov 14, 02:20 PM
Apple's walled garden policy doesn't bring security to end user or has failed at that. Just take a look at Storm8 apps (dev is sued / spy ware). However, it allows Apple to full fill its destiny of being the big brother like in their 1984 spot... wait, wasn't it meant to be the other way around... hell, just tell me who will be the girl with that sledge hammer cause I'm sure it ain't Apple...
cere
Apr 14, 01:17 PM
LOL, yet here you are claiming Thunderbolt is DOA. Hilarious.
Again, for those with reading difficulties, I made no such claim. I did agree with a post that implied it might be relegated to being considered Mac only. I'll still agree that might be what happens. I hope not, but I hoped FW would be successful too.
I am pretty sure a google search will find some adult-ed courses that might be helpful for you.
Again, for those with reading difficulties, I made no such claim. I did agree with a post that implied it might be relegated to being considered Mac only. I'll still agree that might be what happens. I hope not, but I hoped FW would be successful too.
I am pretty sure a google search will find some adult-ed courses that might be helpful for you.
AidenShaw
Sep 9, 12:27 PM
Kentsfield is two Conroes on a single die. They don't share cache like the previous Pentium D chips. So they'll each have 4 MB of cache and then communicate over the front side bus.
Minor terminology correction - the "die" is the silicon chip, the "package" is the carrier with the pins....
http://www.xbitlabs.com/web/2006-6-22.html
Kentsfield consists of two Conroe dies, each featuring two cores and 4MB of L2 cache.
See http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/04/top_secret_intel_processor_plans_uncovered/page4.html
(this shows a Pentium D image, but Kentsfield is doing the same trick.)
Minor terminology correction - the "die" is the silicon chip, the "package" is the carrier with the pins....
http://www.xbitlabs.com/web/2006-6-22.html
Kentsfield consists of two Conroe dies, each featuring two cores and 4MB of L2 cache.
See http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/04/top_secret_intel_processor_plans_uncovered/page4.html
(this shows a Pentium D image, but Kentsfield is doing the same trick.)
miles01110
Apr 4, 01:03 PM
Perhaps you should read your own articles before vilifying me?
Thanks for coming out.
How does that not contradict your incorrect statement below:
Generally it is not legal to carry a firearm into an establishment that sells alcohol for immediate and on-premesis consumption.
It's even legal to carry a gun (assuming you have the proper licenses) into a bar in New York, which has some of the strictest state gun control laws in the country. So, while it's almost always illegal to consume alcohol while carrying a gun, it is hardly ever illegal to simply carry a gun into a bar.
You made a mistake and got called out on it. I made a mistake by not being specific about which part of your statement I was having an issue with. Life goes on.
Thanks for coming out.
How does that not contradict your incorrect statement below:
Generally it is not legal to carry a firearm into an establishment that sells alcohol for immediate and on-premesis consumption.
It's even legal to carry a gun (assuming you have the proper licenses) into a bar in New York, which has some of the strictest state gun control laws in the country. So, while it's almost always illegal to consume alcohol while carrying a gun, it is hardly ever illegal to simply carry a gun into a bar.
You made a mistake and got called out on it. I made a mistake by not being specific about which part of your statement I was having an issue with. Life goes on.
No comments:
Post a Comment