NJRonbo
Jun 14, 06:01 AM
iBrad,
What did I miss here?
Going to RS today to turn in my iPhone. I don't know what to
make of the quote you provided but will there be any
restrictions in the upgrade purchase I want to make?
What did I miss here?
Going to RS today to turn in my iPhone. I don't know what to
make of the quote you provided but will there be any
restrictions in the upgrade purchase I want to make?
Shananra
Aug 6, 11:29 AM
Does no one else think this event will only be about leopard? If they release any hardware, it's going to be the mac pro, and even that will only get five minutes of attention. (The xserves seem logical too because of what processors they are using) No other hardware, just leopard leopard leopard.
Also, I don't see this as being as monumental of a release as everyone is making it out to be. There are some features that I would like to see implimented, but I'm not holding my breath. This is not to say that I'm being pessimistic, though.
I think we will see some better game support, performance and security enhancements (for all the flaunting Apple has been doing about their security, they had better give us some security worth flaunting!), and something to do with bootcamp. (I still love the name!)
Other minor things I'm expecting are the ability to put widgets on your desktop (without using some sort of "dev mode" like you do now), having multiple dashboards that can be assigned to different hotkeys, enhancements to most of the bundled apps ala the report from friday, and of course the updated finder.
Oh, and finder. I don't think it will have tabs at all. Instead, I think your equivelant of tabs will appear in the left column, along side the favorite folders and drives. Notice how your harddrives/volumes is separated from your favorite places, picture a second separater there and below that your active folders. And for god's sake, give me a directory tree! :rolleyes:
Vista doesn't concern me much, and it shouldn't concern Apple. Tiger still kicks Vista's ass up one side and down the other, then up the first side again for good measure. Has anyone else here tried the vista beta? It's such a pain to use, and I've been a windows user since DOS. I see no reason why Vista should be so... unintuitive other than to try and compete with OSX. If they don't do some serious rethinking on it, Apple will continue to enjoy quite a bit of growth. ;)
Also, I don't see this as being as monumental of a release as everyone is making it out to be. There are some features that I would like to see implimented, but I'm not holding my breath. This is not to say that I'm being pessimistic, though.
I think we will see some better game support, performance and security enhancements (for all the flaunting Apple has been doing about their security, they had better give us some security worth flaunting!), and something to do with bootcamp. (I still love the name!)
Other minor things I'm expecting are the ability to put widgets on your desktop (without using some sort of "dev mode" like you do now), having multiple dashboards that can be assigned to different hotkeys, enhancements to most of the bundled apps ala the report from friday, and of course the updated finder.
Oh, and finder. I don't think it will have tabs at all. Instead, I think your equivelant of tabs will appear in the left column, along side the favorite folders and drives. Notice how your harddrives/volumes is separated from your favorite places, picture a second separater there and below that your active folders. And for god's sake, give me a directory tree! :rolleyes:
Vista doesn't concern me much, and it shouldn't concern Apple. Tiger still kicks Vista's ass up one side and down the other, then up the first side again for good measure. Has anyone else here tried the vista beta? It's such a pain to use, and I've been a windows user since DOS. I see no reason why Vista should be so... unintuitive other than to try and compete with OSX. If they don't do some serious rethinking on it, Apple will continue to enjoy quite a bit of growth. ;)
yadmonkey
Aug 11, 03:17 PM
Apple's reasons for being secretive about product releases don't apply to their potential phone because they don't have a current product which they want people to buy in the meantime. In fact, this time around, it'll be advantageous to Apple for people to know it's coming, as they may hold out for one instead of getting something else. Once there is an iPhone, then they will probably be secretive about the next version.
Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 11, 06:49 PM
Confused.
Can somebody explain me the differences between the cellphone market between the US and Europe.
Will a 'iPhone' just be marketed to the US or worldwide (as the iPod does)?
C.:confused:
The biggest difference would be that in europe we use GSM-system (900 Mhz and 1800Mhz) whereas US use both CDMA and GSM (850MHz and 1900Mhz)
A typical triband GSM phone enables you to call more or less all over the world whereas a CDMA is more or less restricted to use it in US and some countries in Asia. CDMA and GSM are two incompatible system like windows and OSX, i.e they dont "speak" with each other. One difference you notice as a user is that GSM phones has a SIM card which more or less is your identity. That is, if you have an unlocked cellphone you can change operators whenever you feel like it. This is not possible with CDMA cellphones.
Celphones are also much more common in europe and the "typical" cellphone user is not that tied up to an operator as a "typical" US user. Carriers in europe don't cripple the phones like some do in US.
I am sure there are man more differences, but these were the only that came to my mind right now.
Can somebody explain me the differences between the cellphone market between the US and Europe.
Will a 'iPhone' just be marketed to the US or worldwide (as the iPod does)?
C.:confused:
The biggest difference would be that in europe we use GSM-system (900 Mhz and 1800Mhz) whereas US use both CDMA and GSM (850MHz and 1900Mhz)
A typical triband GSM phone enables you to call more or less all over the world whereas a CDMA is more or less restricted to use it in US and some countries in Asia. CDMA and GSM are two incompatible system like windows and OSX, i.e they dont "speak" with each other. One difference you notice as a user is that GSM phones has a SIM card which more or less is your identity. That is, if you have an unlocked cellphone you can change operators whenever you feel like it. This is not possible with CDMA cellphones.
Celphones are also much more common in europe and the "typical" cellphone user is not that tied up to an operator as a "typical" US user. Carriers in europe don't cripple the phones like some do in US.
I am sure there are man more differences, but these were the only that came to my mind right now.
eawmp1
Apr 27, 08:43 AM
Now our long national nightmare is over! It's morning again in America. ;)
All is good with the world.
Left and right can unite behind the newly-legitimized president and join together to accomplish the work of the people.
:rolleyes:
All is good with the world.
Left and right can unite behind the newly-legitimized president and join together to accomplish the work of the people.
:rolleyes:
onigami
Apr 10, 06:22 AM
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, and it ain't the whole fact that Apple pushed aside every professional vid company just to announce their product. It's that they never have announced pro-level products at/alongside professional trade shows prior to this. CES is one thing, but I don't ever recall Apple ever placing any presence at/during NAB or AES (the latter of which they would present something related to the Logic Pro) before. Even for egotists like Apple, this is completely unusual. In recent years, new makes of Logic and Final Cut have dropped with no warning whatsoever. Furthermore, this is a Usergroup meetup. This lacks the professionalism of a standard Apple product announcement.
Besides, why would anyone from the upper ranks of Apple (Ives, Cook, Jobs) even meet with a professional usergroup? I don't recall any of those guys ever talking about Final Cut or Logic in any Apple event, precisely because they are niche products that target an audience a hundredth, maybe a thousandth the size of the main Apple demographic. You don't need to utilize executive charisma to sell these products.
Finally, while I don't know whether software stocks are different from hardware stocks, I just checked Apple's website, and FCS, FCE, and FCServer are readily available for shipping within 24 hours.
My theory? This isn't Apple, but a very elaborate prank being pulled by some con artists.
(also: Why the hell is there an idle timer that automatically logs me out after 10 minutes of inactivity?)
Besides, why would anyone from the upper ranks of Apple (Ives, Cook, Jobs) even meet with a professional usergroup? I don't recall any of those guys ever talking about Final Cut or Logic in any Apple event, precisely because they are niche products that target an audience a hundredth, maybe a thousandth the size of the main Apple demographic. You don't need to utilize executive charisma to sell these products.
Finally, while I don't know whether software stocks are different from hardware stocks, I just checked Apple's website, and FCS, FCE, and FCServer are readily available for shipping within 24 hours.
My theory? This isn't Apple, but a very elaborate prank being pulled by some con artists.
(also: Why the hell is there an idle timer that automatically logs me out after 10 minutes of inactivity?)
AtHomeBoy_2000
Aug 7, 03:26 PM
I dont think the "Top Secret" stuff is really top secret. I think Apple needs some more time to develope a few things before releasing them out into the public. No reason to release buggy apps.
Remember, WWDC was pushed back this year. THey aren't done with Leopard just yet.
Remember, WWDC was pushed back this year. THey aren't done with Leopard just yet.
MacAddict1978
Mar 26, 02:27 PM
I'm with you on that. I'm pretty sure Front Row is gone for good. Instead, look for iTunes full screen mode. Alternatively, I could see Lion gaining the ability to run iOS apps in some fashion, with the AppleTV interface being one option.
I hope it's not killed. It's a neglected feature with so much potential, and it would be nice to see Apple do something with it. I was hoping they'd port the Apple TV interface into it. Plex and the other similar things just aren't quite right and lack the simplicity of front row. And iTunes is already a bloated slow piece of crap that needs a full re-write and a healthy diet. I get that it's the gateway app for Apple into Windows for their echo system, but the Windows version is worse than the Mac version. There has to be a way to clean it's gutters, but don't put anything more in there.
I hope it's not killed. It's a neglected feature with so much potential, and it would be nice to see Apple do something with it. I was hoping they'd port the Apple TV interface into it. Plex and the other similar things just aren't quite right and lack the simplicity of front row. And iTunes is already a bloated slow piece of crap that needs a full re-write and a healthy diet. I get that it's the gateway app for Apple into Windows for their echo system, but the Windows version is worse than the Mac version. There has to be a way to clean it's gutters, but don't put anything more in there.
shawnce
Jul 27, 12:25 PM
Do you think the "core 3" will also have the same pin structure as the 2's?
Future revisions of the Core 2 will use a new socket allowing for faster FSB speeds, etc. (so the answer is likely no).
Future revisions of the Core 2 will use a new socket allowing for faster FSB speeds, etc. (so the answer is likely no).

mentholiptus
Apr 10, 10:15 PM
Impossible.
The iPad is not a serious computer. This will never happen.
It's just a fad.
Ignore the big-name game titles for iOS. Ignore the upcoming Photoshop app. Ignore the millions of sales. Ignore the copycats in the market.
It'll all go away very soon.
Unless, like I posted earlier, the iPad app functions as a UI for the main application over the network. The Mac (or cluster of macs) takes care of the heavy lifting, and the iPad is used to make edits remotely, and broadcast to HDTV's.
AirPlay & AirEdit.
If you had a cluster of Mac Pro's using thunderbolt (or whatever...ethernet, fibre, etc) to talk to each other, and you used the iPad as a remote UI, you could edit, compress, and broadcast from anywhere.
Apple has all the pieces in place to do this. AirPlay, AppleTV, iPad, iTunes as a media hub for all the devices to communicate, Qmaster, etc...
This has been a long time coming. I remember in 2006-2007 hearing rumors that Apple was working on a tablet like controller for logic. It was to be used to edit the timeline, or act as a virtual mixer, etc. This has been brewing for years, and I think it's almost a reality.
The iPad is not a serious computer. This will never happen.
It's just a fad.
Ignore the big-name game titles for iOS. Ignore the upcoming Photoshop app. Ignore the millions of sales. Ignore the copycats in the market.
It'll all go away very soon.
Unless, like I posted earlier, the iPad app functions as a UI for the main application over the network. The Mac (or cluster of macs) takes care of the heavy lifting, and the iPad is used to make edits remotely, and broadcast to HDTV's.
AirPlay & AirEdit.
If you had a cluster of Mac Pro's using thunderbolt (or whatever...ethernet, fibre, etc) to talk to each other, and you used the iPad as a remote UI, you could edit, compress, and broadcast from anywhere.
Apple has all the pieces in place to do this. AirPlay, AppleTV, iPad, iTunes as a media hub for all the devices to communicate, Qmaster, etc...
This has been a long time coming. I remember in 2006-2007 hearing rumors that Apple was working on a tablet like controller for logic. It was to be used to edit the timeline, or act as a virtual mixer, etc. This has been brewing for years, and I think it's almost a reality.
Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 11, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't call over 50% of the N American market a small, local network.
I am sorry, but it is... 150 million people is a small market compared to the other +6 billion people. Europe alone is more than 700 million people...
I am sorry, but it is... 150 million people is a small market compared to the other +6 billion people. Europe alone is more than 700 million people...
gnasher729
Apr 27, 11:13 AM
News on slashdot.org:
77 Million Accounts Stolen From Playstation Network.
Earth will not stop turning, but I think this is just slightly, slightly worse than a file that shows where you haven't exactly been at some point in the past if someone steals your iPhone.
It clearly is an issue if they have a federal lawsuit on it. The fact that Apple are rolling out an update that changes the way it works alone shows that there is clearly a problem. Apple vary rarely roll out updates that change things, even if consumers are screaming for it (mouse acceleration in OS X for example).
You refuse to accept there is a problem. You refuse to see the breech of privacy. Why? The government and Apple have clearly accepted it.
See title of the thread: "Apple addresses controversy". There is and there never was a problem, but the idiocracy forced Apple to act to end the controversy. Right now, who do you think should worry more, iPhone owners or PS3 owners?
77 Million Accounts Stolen From Playstation Network.
Earth will not stop turning, but I think this is just slightly, slightly worse than a file that shows where you haven't exactly been at some point in the past if someone steals your iPhone.
It clearly is an issue if they have a federal lawsuit on it. The fact that Apple are rolling out an update that changes the way it works alone shows that there is clearly a problem. Apple vary rarely roll out updates that change things, even if consumers are screaming for it (mouse acceleration in OS X for example).
You refuse to accept there is a problem. You refuse to see the breech of privacy. Why? The government and Apple have clearly accepted it.
See title of the thread: "Apple addresses controversy". There is and there never was a problem, but the idiocracy forced Apple to act to end the controversy. Right now, who do you think should worry more, iPhone owners or PS3 owners?
faroZ06
Apr 8, 12:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
Guys Apple is not to blame for this one. Well other than doing business with a sleazy business like Best Buy.
Honestly it has been like eight years since I've entered a Best Buy, everything about the place just feels undesirable and corrupt. The fact that many here are surprised at this non-sense highlights a marginal expectation for ethical behavior. No one really needs to shop at Best Buy, there are plenty of alternatives.
I don't know, I usually go into Best Buy and find stuff at good prices. However, the cables are a ripoff, but most cables are anywhere. I'd still go to Best Buy for some stuff.
Guys Apple is not to blame for this one. Well other than doing business with a sleazy business like Best Buy.
Honestly it has been like eight years since I've entered a Best Buy, everything about the place just feels undesirable and corrupt. The fact that many here are surprised at this non-sense highlights a marginal expectation for ethical behavior. No one really needs to shop at Best Buy, there are plenty of alternatives.
I don't know, I usually go into Best Buy and find stuff at good prices. However, the cables are a ripoff, but most cables are anywhere. I'd still go to Best Buy for some stuff.
krcbkidz
Mar 22, 05:10 PM
The difference is Samsung outsources it's OS development, it's developer community management, it's app ecosystem.
Cost competitive doesn't experience competitive.
I think for 'spec' people (hard core coders, corp types that need to control configuration), Samsung (and more importantly, when HP gets in the game HP), will compete there.... HOWEVER, this is a consumer run market, and much like a Sony WalkMan back in the day, or RollerBlades([tm]... the rest were 'inline skates'), Apple is 'defining' the market... and the rest are just knockoffs.
And unlike the old BMW pricing explanation(excuse) for Macs (equal specs and quality... from Apple HP and Dell are about the same in price) Apple is pushing iPad's experience at the BMW levels, but at Honda prices.
And RIM and samsung are pushing mid 80's GM quality against a 2012 BMW at honda prices, when the market will probably demand Kia prices for the 'experience'
Likes this :-)
Cost competitive doesn't experience competitive.
I think for 'spec' people (hard core coders, corp types that need to control configuration), Samsung (and more importantly, when HP gets in the game HP), will compete there.... HOWEVER, this is a consumer run market, and much like a Sony WalkMan back in the day, or RollerBlades([tm]... the rest were 'inline skates'), Apple is 'defining' the market... and the rest are just knockoffs.
And unlike the old BMW pricing explanation(excuse) for Macs (equal specs and quality... from Apple HP and Dell are about the same in price) Apple is pushing iPad's experience at the BMW levels, but at Honda prices.
And RIM and samsung are pushing mid 80's GM quality against a 2012 BMW at honda prices, when the market will probably demand Kia prices for the 'experience'
Likes this :-)

yoak
Apr 12, 09:25 AM
I don't use batch monitor so I'm not sure where to look. It doesn't show much more than compressor, merely the name of the job and a progress bar. I see that the little inspector window should show the "segments" (I'm not sure they call it that in Englsh), but I don't see any segments in the test encoding I just did. Plus, disabling task segmentation (fragmentation?) in the encoder settings doesn't change the CPU load. Maybe a source file isn't split when QMaster isn't configured
Anyway, the encoding uses 4 cores since CPU usages exceeds 300%. I'm positive it uses all of my cores. As a comparison, by Mac Pro is more than twice faster than my friend's iMac, which has 2 core but roughly similar CPU speed (GHz).
You open it from Compressor, in the top right corner. Then, if you have a cluster (set up in Qmaster) it will show on top of "Your computer"
Here you can monitor your render progress and see how many cores are used.
See attached screen shot
Anyway, the encoding uses 4 cores since CPU usages exceeds 300%. I'm positive it uses all of my cores. As a comparison, by Mac Pro is more than twice faster than my friend's iMac, which has 2 core but roughly similar CPU speed (GHz).
You open it from Compressor, in the top right corner. Then, if you have a cluster (set up in Qmaster) it will show on top of "Your computer"
Here you can monitor your render progress and see how many cores are used.
See attached screen shot
TripHop
Jun 9, 12:38 AM
This is a huge story. I don't understand why it wasn't posted on page 1 especially since learning of the Radio Shack Trade-In program. I think the Doctor should reconsider not putting this on Page 1. :confused:

BWhaler
Aug 26, 11:36 PM
I'm sure the GPU will also be bumped, at the very least. The MBP will probably also see some things that the MB has like a user-removable hard drive and magnetic latch. The CPU and GPU alone make it worth getting the new one, IMO.
I agree. The practical differences between the Core Duo and the Core 2 Duo in real world tests are tiny.
But a serious bump to the GPU, HD, and the other enhancements you mention certainly would make the upgrade worthwhile.
I Just Hope Apple Joins The Rest Of The Manufacturers In This Mass Announcement. In this case, I wish they wouldn't "Think Differently".
I hope you are right. I would love to buy a MBP next week.
Expect new Merom-based macs, and a new iPod, on September 18th.
I suspect you are correct, but I hope you are wrong. I'd love to get a new MBP in the next couple of weeks before my next international trip. But to your point, I am not optimistic.
I agree. The practical differences between the Core Duo and the Core 2 Duo in real world tests are tiny.
But a serious bump to the GPU, HD, and the other enhancements you mention certainly would make the upgrade worthwhile.
I Just Hope Apple Joins The Rest Of The Manufacturers In This Mass Announcement. In this case, I wish they wouldn't "Think Differently".
I hope you are right. I would love to buy a MBP next week.
Expect new Merom-based macs, and a new iPod, on September 18th.
I suspect you are correct, but I hope you are wrong. I'd love to get a new MBP in the next couple of weeks before my next international trip. But to your point, I am not optimistic.
brenden
Apr 8, 07:46 AM
Not surprised. Best buy has always been a super shady retailer with subpar employees. Sadly its the easiest place to buy electronics other than ordering online.
RedTomato
Aug 12, 03:58 AM
Ah but Finland is a tiny social democrat country that's home to some of the world's largest mobile companies. They like to give a bit back to their home communities.
For example, deaf people in Finland get free / very cheap video-capable mobile phones and very cheap video calling rates so that they can sign to each other on the phone. (or access sign/ spoken language translation services - very important for work)
The rest of us deaf people around the world are screaming for the same thing, but do we get it bollocks? Videophoning on a mobile remains majorly expensive for anything more than a few minutes per month.
For example, deaf people in Finland get free / very cheap video-capable mobile phones and very cheap video calling rates so that they can sign to each other on the phone. (or access sign/ spoken language translation services - very important for work)
The rest of us deaf people around the world are screaming for the same thing, but do we get it bollocks? Videophoning on a mobile remains majorly expensive for anything more than a few minutes per month.
AmbitiousLemon
Nov 28, 07:43 PM
This reminds me of this article from BBspot: http://www.bbspot.com/News/2006/11/home-theater-regulations.html
MPAA Lobbying for Home Theater Regulations
By Scott Small
Los Angeles , CA - The MPAA is lobbying congress to push through a new bill that would make unauthorized home theaters illegal. The group feels that all theaters should be sanctioned, whether they be commercial settings or at home.
MPAA head Dan Glickman says this needs to be regulated before things start getting too far out of control, "We didn't act early enough with the online sharing of our copyrighted content. This time we're not making the same mistake. We have a right to know what's showing in a theater."
The bill would require that any hardware manufactured in the future contain technology that tells the MPAA directly of what is being shown and specific details on the audience. The data would be gathered using various motion sensors and biometric technology.
The MPAA defines a home theater as any home with a television larger than 29" with stereo sound and at least two comfortable chairs, couch, or futon. Anyone with a home theater would need to pay a $50 registration fee with the MPAA or face fines up to $500,000 per movie shown.
Related News
"Just because you buy a DVD to watch at home doesn't give you the right to invite friends over to watch it too. That's a violation of copyright and denies us the revenue that would be generated from DVD sales to your friends," said Glickman. "Ideally we expect each viewer to have their own copy of the DVD, but we realize that isn't always feasible. The registration fee is a fair compromise.
The bill also stipulates that any existing home theaters be retrofitted with the technology or else the owner is responsible for directly informing the MPAA and receiving approval before each viewing.
Unfortunately the BBspot article is a joke, and Reuters story isn't.
MPAA Lobbying for Home Theater Regulations
By Scott Small
Los Angeles , CA - The MPAA is lobbying congress to push through a new bill that would make unauthorized home theaters illegal. The group feels that all theaters should be sanctioned, whether they be commercial settings or at home.
MPAA head Dan Glickman says this needs to be regulated before things start getting too far out of control, "We didn't act early enough with the online sharing of our copyrighted content. This time we're not making the same mistake. We have a right to know what's showing in a theater."
The bill would require that any hardware manufactured in the future contain technology that tells the MPAA directly of what is being shown and specific details on the audience. The data would be gathered using various motion sensors and biometric technology.
The MPAA defines a home theater as any home with a television larger than 29" with stereo sound and at least two comfortable chairs, couch, or futon. Anyone with a home theater would need to pay a $50 registration fee with the MPAA or face fines up to $500,000 per movie shown.
Related News
"Just because you buy a DVD to watch at home doesn't give you the right to invite friends over to watch it too. That's a violation of copyright and denies us the revenue that would be generated from DVD sales to your friends," said Glickman. "Ideally we expect each viewer to have their own copy of the DVD, but we realize that isn't always feasible. The registration fee is a fair compromise.
The bill also stipulates that any existing home theaters be retrofitted with the technology or else the owner is responsible for directly informing the MPAA and receiving approval before each viewing.
Unfortunately the BBspot article is a joke, and Reuters story isn't.
epitaphic
Aug 18, 06:09 AM
A whole 9 months? Those systems are supposed to last four years.
Chundles
Jul 27, 11:11 AM
No, this isn't true. All of them have a socket cpu that can be replaced.
No that isn't true. The desktop Macs have socketed processors but the portables are soldered to the logic board - there are sites that do dissections of new machines and they confirmed it.
Replaceable: iMac, Mac mini
Soldered: MacBook, MacBook Pro.
Please don't post false and misleading information.
No that isn't true. The desktop Macs have socketed processors but the portables are soldered to the logic board - there are sites that do dissections of new machines and they confirmed it.
Replaceable: iMac, Mac mini
Soldered: MacBook, MacBook Pro.
Please don't post false and misleading information.
Mr. Anderson
Sep 13, 11:05 AM
meaning that unless you have a way of really stressing 8 cores, you may be better off with 4 faster cores in your Mac Pro
drool - i'll take 8 cores for my 3D rendering :D
I think I'll be selling my quad G5 next year for a 8 core Mac Pro.
D
drool - i'll take 8 cores for my 3D rendering :D
I think I'll be selling my quad G5 next year for a 8 core Mac Pro.
D
aricher
Sep 13, 12:44 PM
I think we can all read at normal size. Besides, how do you know the IT dude typed that vs. the poster just typing what he said?
I did a direct copy-paste from my IT guy's email. What a knucklehead - him not you.
I did a direct copy-paste from my IT guy's email. What a knucklehead - him not you.
No comments:
Post a Comment