hyperpasta
Aug 31, 12:01 PM
...and 5 years later, with no major innovations since iPod Video...
I'd count the click wheel as an innovation... but you're right, Apple needs to innovate again.
I'd count the click wheel as an innovation... but you're right, Apple needs to innovate again.
Wonder Boy
Aug 24, 09:06 AM
I see Apple stock going up on this news. $100 Million is getting off easy. Could have been a LOT worse.
I agree. 100 million doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Now that Creative will sell iPod gear, Apple will get it back. Plus everyone can put this behind them so they can release the damn videoPod.
I agree. 100 million doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Now that Creative will sell iPod gear, Apple will get it back. Plus everyone can put this behind them so they can release the damn videoPod.
robeddie
Apr 25, 02:17 PM
YESSSS after 3 years of waiting!
It's been 2 years 6 months. The aluminum design prior to that lasted 5 years 10 months (with only a minor thinning when it became the macpro).
Since when did two and a half years become a long time to keep a particular design? And how did some of us get so impatient in our consumer-based lives?
It's been 2 years 6 months. The aluminum design prior to that lasted 5 years 10 months (with only a minor thinning when it became the macpro).
Since when did two and a half years become a long time to keep a particular design? And how did some of us get so impatient in our consumer-based lives?
mwayne85
Apr 22, 12:54 PM
So I'm guessing the chances of them putting AMD graphics in one of these models is practically zero?
iLucas
Apr 30, 01:10 PM
Finally!
HecubusPro
Aug 28, 09:35 PM
yeah... and what about the past years when they have run the promotion and not added newly released product to the rebate? thats what i was referring to.
And this is why I say it can go either way. The release of the C2D mac systems are not dependent upon the rebate IMO. It might happen or it might not. My guess is that Apple is not releasing their new computers based upon when the rebate ends. They'll simply release them, and if they happen to fall within the rebate period, that's not necessarily by design. But it is our good fortune. :)
And this is why I say it can go either way. The release of the C2D mac systems are not dependent upon the rebate IMO. It might happen or it might not. My guess is that Apple is not releasing their new computers based upon when the rebate ends. They'll simply release them, and if they happen to fall within the rebate period, that's not necessarily by design. But it is our good fortune. :)
PghLondon
Apr 30, 06:59 PM
Very intelligent response.
Give it a shot pal.
I love internet tough guys.
Give it a shot pal.
I love internet tough guys.
NT1440
Apr 10, 07:36 PM
LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ikea-union-20110410,0,4172495,full.story)
Well, the right has gotten what it wants. Low wages, no benefits, non-union jobs.
What next? Reintroduction of slavery?
This is the end product of capitalism and/or neoliberal policies. Look into "the race to the bottom" in terms of international relations.
All by design. All well understood, but rarely spoken about to the public.
Well, the right has gotten what it wants. Low wages, no benefits, non-union jobs.
What next? Reintroduction of slavery?
This is the end product of capitalism and/or neoliberal policies. Look into "the race to the bottom" in terms of international relations.
All by design. All well understood, but rarely spoken about to the public.
MuDPHuDStudent
Mar 29, 11:38 AM
I think they need to learn how to do math. How can you have an 18.8% cumulative annual growth rate when your market share goes down from 15.7% to 15.3%?
Kaibelf
Apr 19, 10:42 AM
So what? They're already getting sued by Apple, so what's another lawsuit? Point is, contract breach or not, Samsung could cripple Apple's whole ecosystem within days by halting all processor shipments. Apple makes the vast majority on iDevices and this would kill Apple's whole economic model. And this doesn't even account for Samsungs components that go into their Macs. As a result, Apple would have no hardware to sell. They would dip into their treasure chest. It could be devastating to Apple.
And then Apple would ruin Samsung, cratering them with winning lawsuits. Also, Samsung would lose their reputation in the supply chain as well as their credibility, and it would likely damage the Korean economy as a whole, and South Korea politically as well. You're talking about one company causing problems for tens of millions of consumers, and a mountain of negative news. If Samsung wanted to be bankrupted within a decade, this would be a way, for sure.
And then Apple would ruin Samsung, cratering them with winning lawsuits. Also, Samsung would lose their reputation in the supply chain as well as their credibility, and it would likely damage the Korean economy as a whole, and South Korea politically as well. You're talking about one company causing problems for tens of millions of consumers, and a mountain of negative news. If Samsung wanted to be bankrupted within a decade, this would be a way, for sure.
After G
Sep 14, 02:17 AM
I think that the phone interface won't have a click-wheel. Rather, it will be all screen with an on-screen wheel changing to an on-screen keypad. No slider action whatsoever. Maybe a hard switch for on/off, answer, and phonebook, but that's about all I'd put on the phone. It'll save on cost and hardware complexity too, not having to include a wheel.
Interface? Regular phone ... may be a smartphone if they figure out how to do the keyboard. Input is always questionable on small devices because there isn't room. Bluetooth perhaps? That's more $ down the drain for a keyboard :(
I hope I have the funds to buy one when one of these suckers comes out. Both GSM and CDMA would be better, but if there's only one, it should be GSM. It's easier for people to switch their phones that way, instead of having the cellphone stores cluttered up.
Good thing my sister's RAZR is dying ... maybe I'll tell her to get someone else's phone (on the cheap) when these drop (if she doesn't have enough for an Apple phone).
Interface? Regular phone ... may be a smartphone if they figure out how to do the keyboard. Input is always questionable on small devices because there isn't room. Bluetooth perhaps? That's more $ down the drain for a keyboard :(
I hope I have the funds to buy one when one of these suckers comes out. Both GSM and CDMA would be better, but if there's only one, it should be GSM. It's easier for people to switch their phones that way, instead of having the cellphone stores cluttered up.
Good thing my sister's RAZR is dying ... maybe I'll tell her to get someone else's phone (on the cheap) when these drop (if she doesn't have enough for an Apple phone).
wlh99
Apr 20, 10:20 AM
Section 4b of the software license agreement explains it all:
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone.pdf
So does turning of Locations Services stop the data collection, or just stop applications from accessing it?
Does turning of Location services delete data already in the file?
I guess it works both ways, if accused of a crime you didn't commit, bring your phone to work and prove you were not their. And if you are going to commit a crime, leave your phone at home.
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone.pdf
So does turning of Locations Services stop the data collection, or just stop applications from accessing it?
Does turning of Location services delete data already in the file?
I guess it works both ways, if accused of a crime you didn't commit, bring your phone to work and prove you were not their. And if you are going to commit a crime, leave your phone at home.
EagerDragon
Sep 10, 10:54 AM
Erhm..so the new realeased merom iMac will last for how long:confused: :confused:
worth it to buy now???
thinkiNG of getting one...cant bear with my 3 yrs old of centrinO noteBook...:mad:
If you need it get it now. If you can wait 6 months then wait. What is out is better than what you have, just be ready than in 6 months there will be something better. This is always the case even if you stay in the Win Camp.
worth it to buy now???
thinkiNG of getting one...cant bear with my 3 yrs old of centrinO noteBook...:mad:
If you need it get it now. If you can wait 6 months then wait. What is out is better than what you have, just be ready than in 6 months there will be something better. This is always the case even if you stay in the Win Camp.
dime21
Mar 23, 06:10 PM
136 negatives to this story ... nice. :rolleyes:
Any perceived hit towards censorship obviously trumps the value of human life. :rolleyes:
I wonder how many who posted here in favor of removing these apps, are also supporters of wikileaks? i'm sure it's a significant number. how ironic.
How about you duervo, you a wikileaks fan? hmm?
Any perceived hit towards censorship obviously trumps the value of human life. :rolleyes:
I wonder how many who posted here in favor of removing these apps, are also supporters of wikileaks? i'm sure it's a significant number. how ironic.
How about you duervo, you a wikileaks fan? hmm?
linux2mac
May 3, 01:05 PM
It's not just about power. I would never buy an iMac because I like being able to actually upgrade my components as they get older. With the form factor of the iMac, you get all of the disadvantages of a notebook (less harddrive bays, less ram slots, no expansion slots) with all of the disadvantages of a desktop (namely, it's not portable). It just seems silly to me.
Additionally, I hate 16:9 displays (16:9 is tv widescreen, 16:10 is computer widescreen) and I would much rather use my own displays (2x dell ultrasharps) than the ones apple makes, so building the display into the computer is a disadvantage to me.
Sigh... It's a shame really, I don't need nearly the kind of power that even the lowest Mac Pro has, but it's the only desktop mac that I could buy at this point.
Don't despair.
An Apple Patent May Hint at a Mini Tower Desktop...
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/04/an-apple-patent-may-hint-at-a-mini-tower-desktop-with-usb-30.html
http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a0120a5580826970c01347fbb924f970c-pi
Additionally, I hate 16:9 displays (16:9 is tv widescreen, 16:10 is computer widescreen) and I would much rather use my own displays (2x dell ultrasharps) than the ones apple makes, so building the display into the computer is a disadvantage to me.
Sigh... It's a shame really, I don't need nearly the kind of power that even the lowest Mac Pro has, but it's the only desktop mac that I could buy at this point.
Don't despair.
An Apple Patent May Hint at a Mini Tower Desktop...
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/04/an-apple-patent-may-hint-at-a-mini-tower-desktop-with-usb-30.html
http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a0120a5580826970c01347fbb924f970c-pi
Nym
Apr 20, 12:11 PM
Depends on the cipher really. Not all ciphers can be decrypted with even the latest of the latest hardware, especially if you lack the private key. And a court order can force you all you want to give up that private key, but they can't force you to remember it or not lose it. ;)
"I don't remember" or "I lost the private key to my encrypted backup, but here's the AES-256 encrypted file guys, have a go at it" are perfectly good answers.
As for this topic, SLA/ToS whatever. Not everything written in a TOS is legal or binding. If they wrote you had to murder your 1st born child, would you ? Would a court find it legally binding ? Of course not. Invasions of privacy aside, is there even a reason to store the location information like that, timestamped and polled every second ?
Why can't the device poll my location when asked for it only ? Why does it need to do it periodically ? Why is there no cleaning up after a certain time has elapsed ?
All serious questions. Even if I don't have anything to hide my privacy is still important to me. If I want you to know about my mundane life with no frills, I'll tell you about it.
Agree. I never understood the "Read the ToS" excuse because there's no way you are legally binded to everything that it says (your example was clear enough).
I have no problem with the logs the phone creates (I have already downloaded the PhoneTracker app and I can confirm that it does work) but I would like to know when, how and why it�s running. Just because someone has "nothing to hide" doesn't mean that they want to "show you everything".
Apple, since it clearly advocates a "user-driven" culture, needs to explain why this is happening.
if you are not doing anything wrong, what is there to worry about?
I kinda remember someone in the industry saying something like this...
"I don't remember" or "I lost the private key to my encrypted backup, but here's the AES-256 encrypted file guys, have a go at it" are perfectly good answers.
As for this topic, SLA/ToS whatever. Not everything written in a TOS is legal or binding. If they wrote you had to murder your 1st born child, would you ? Would a court find it legally binding ? Of course not. Invasions of privacy aside, is there even a reason to store the location information like that, timestamped and polled every second ?
Why can't the device poll my location when asked for it only ? Why does it need to do it periodically ? Why is there no cleaning up after a certain time has elapsed ?
All serious questions. Even if I don't have anything to hide my privacy is still important to me. If I want you to know about my mundane life with no frills, I'll tell you about it.
Agree. I never understood the "Read the ToS" excuse because there's no way you are legally binded to everything that it says (your example was clear enough).
I have no problem with the logs the phone creates (I have already downloaded the PhoneTracker app and I can confirm that it does work) but I would like to know when, how and why it�s running. Just because someone has "nothing to hide" doesn't mean that they want to "show you everything".
Apple, since it clearly advocates a "user-driven" culture, needs to explain why this is happening.
if you are not doing anything wrong, what is there to worry about?
I kinda remember someone in the industry saying something like this...
Al Coholic
Mar 23, 05:42 PM
Censorship! Don't do it, Apple!
All Senators are Democrats. Go figure.
LOL.
All Senators are Democrats. Go figure.
LOL.
cwt1nospam
Jan 2, 02:04 PM
And is the alleged attack proceeding through the Mac community? No.
Once again, targeting and successfully attacking are worlds apart.
Oh, and the "time" needed to identify that you're on an Apple (or other) operating system is essentially zero. All you have to do is look at the user agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent) header.
Once again, targeting and successfully attacking are worlds apart.
Oh, and the "time" needed to identify that you're on an Apple (or other) operating system is essentially zero. All you have to do is look at the user agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent) header.
iansilv
Mar 23, 05:08 PM
I kind of like the idea of being able to see how piss-poor the police services are in an area. The app only shows how ineffectively these check points are setup.
Chundles
Sep 8, 09:13 AM
Ok so in other words you DON'T need a Core 2 Duo to run Leopard, right?
Hell no, Leopard will run on G4s, G5s, Core Duos, Core 2 Duos, maybe even the old G3s but we'll have to wait and see on that one.
Hell no, Leopard will run on G4s, G5s, Core Duos, Core 2 Duos, maybe even the old G3s but we'll have to wait and see on that one.
VespR
Sep 13, 06:32 AM
Pretty weak update to the "flagship" pod. I bought a nano last month (glad I did, hate the colours, and wouldn't feel happy about paying �100 more just to get it in black). I'll assume black nanos/vpods have been booming so they thought they'd slap a premium on it this time, bit harsh really.
The software update is, well, a software update. They could have rolled that out anytime over the last year but it always bodes well with a new 'product'. Also all the talk on battery life, I suspect that has nothing to do with a different or better battery but rather Apples default settings on brightness/volume. I find everytime I play my ipod on Apples default volume setting, I get more or less what's said on the tin. Shame it's too quiet for the London Transport System (tubes/trains) to listen to so I'm forced to turn it up and lose a few hours. I suspect the default brightness level will be lower than what it was initially which has resulted in the increase in life.
I do want an vPod, and around the 60/80GB mark (30 -> 80 jump is crazy?!), but not with that size screen. I'll wait till it's in wide, and then tune into Lost/24 on the commute so I can actually see what's going on. Plus I'm sure they should be getting slimmer these days... Steves year of HD really isn't working out like I thought...
The software update is, well, a software update. They could have rolled that out anytime over the last year but it always bodes well with a new 'product'. Also all the talk on battery life, I suspect that has nothing to do with a different or better battery but rather Apples default settings on brightness/volume. I find everytime I play my ipod on Apples default volume setting, I get more or less what's said on the tin. Shame it's too quiet for the London Transport System (tubes/trains) to listen to so I'm forced to turn it up and lose a few hours. I suspect the default brightness level will be lower than what it was initially which has resulted in the increase in life.
I do want an vPod, and around the 60/80GB mark (30 -> 80 jump is crazy?!), but not with that size screen. I'll wait till it's in wide, and then tune into Lost/24 on the commute so I can actually see what's going on. Plus I'm sure they should be getting slimmer these days... Steves year of HD really isn't working out like I thought...
bitfactory
Oct 27, 09:27 AM
I'm a Green Peace supporter, but with Bush in the Whitehouse, don't they have bigger fish to fry?
It took almost 20 posts before GWB was mentioned. It seems the attention span of some folks is actually getting longer.
Now back on point, please.
The only reason GP is targeting Apple is because they think they actually have a shot at getting them to do something, and once Apple moves in response to GP, then they have ammo to go after the others.
GP is a dead movement - we need a fair, equitable organization to take its place.
It took almost 20 posts before GWB was mentioned. It seems the attention span of some folks is actually getting longer.
Now back on point, please.
The only reason GP is targeting Apple is because they think they actually have a shot at getting them to do something, and once Apple moves in response to GP, then they have ammo to go after the others.
GP is a dead movement - we need a fair, equitable organization to take its place.
Chundles
Sep 5, 02:05 PM
Good move but I bet its riddled with DRM:mad:
It would have to be otherwise the studios won't agree to it.
It would have to be otherwise the studios won't agree to it.
inkswamp
Mar 29, 03:21 PM
UHM... iOS is far more open-source than windows is. Nice try... Android might be more open-source though, I'm not sure.
What exactly is your definition of "open source" anyway? There aren't really degrees of being open source. Something is either open source or it isn't. The code for iOS is not open source and so isn't any more or less open than Windows.
Some of the components that ship with iOS are open source (Webkit being the most notable and the one that gets the most press.) But make no mistake: iOS is not open source. At all.
That's not to make a qualitative judgment about iOS versus any other mobile OS, BTW. This annoying marketing crap coming from Google and others lately that push the notion of open source somehow being inherently a better way to go for anything is irritating. There's no need to defend iOS for being closed. Not everyone thinks that's a dirty word. It's a better mobile OS than any of the open source alternatives and there's no reason to be shy about it being proprietary. It is what it is.
What exactly is your definition of "open source" anyway? There aren't really degrees of being open source. Something is either open source or it isn't. The code for iOS is not open source and so isn't any more or less open than Windows.
Some of the components that ship with iOS are open source (Webkit being the most notable and the one that gets the most press.) But make no mistake: iOS is not open source. At all.
That's not to make a qualitative judgment about iOS versus any other mobile OS, BTW. This annoying marketing crap coming from Google and others lately that push the notion of open source somehow being inherently a better way to go for anything is irritating. There's no need to defend iOS for being closed. Not everyone thinks that's a dirty word. It's a better mobile OS than any of the open source alternatives and there's no reason to be shy about it being proprietary. It is what it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment