ticman
Dec 5, 10:21 AM
The apple website lists the price as 119 + tax with free shipping.
Stridder44
Apr 24, 02:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
Retina display or not, this is awesome news. I can't wait for Lion.
Retina display or not, this is awesome news. I can't wait for Lion.
blow45
Mar 29, 07:24 PM
I thought having a closed mind was a prerequisite for being a member here.
it sure seems like it sadly.
it sure seems like it sadly.
ravenvii
May 3, 09:23 PM
EDIT: Read above. Don't panic got it.
Adam-
Apr 20, 06:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)
I am happy for this, this means when my upgrade happens, iPhone 6 will be a HUGE one :-)
Yeah Exaclty i was hoping that my iPhone4 wasn't going to become obsolete after only a few months of being on a 24 month contract! Apples good, but they do like to make my products feel slow and old :(
Damn their marketing and business sense!
I am happy for this, this means when my upgrade happens, iPhone 6 will be a HUGE one :-)
Yeah Exaclty i was hoping that my iPhone4 wasn't going to become obsolete after only a few months of being on a 24 month contract! Apples good, but they do like to make my products feel slow and old :(
Damn their marketing and business sense!
Chuck
Jul 22, 01:17 AM
Geez!!! The Intel Imac has been out since what Janurary? Should the Imac not be the next to upgrade? Will it go with Conroe or Meron? Maybe a better videocard?
I'm with you -X-
Doesn't the iMac use the same intel chip as the MBP? Why all the hoohah about an impending MBP release, when it might also mean an upgrade for the iMac - which hasn't been bumped since it's announcement in Jan?
Now before I'm lambarsted because the iMac is not a 'pro' machine, I am a professional graphic designer and I am in the market for one.
Bring on the merom iMac! :cool:
Chuck.
I'm with you -X-
Doesn't the iMac use the same intel chip as the MBP? Why all the hoohah about an impending MBP release, when it might also mean an upgrade for the iMac - which hasn't been bumped since it's announcement in Jan?
Now before I'm lambarsted because the iMac is not a 'pro' machine, I am a professional graphic designer and I am in the market for one.
Bring on the merom iMac! :cool:
Chuck.

goMac
Apr 21, 06:21 PM
Yet another sign Apple is going to kill the Mac Pro.
You'll see! With Final Cut Pro on it's deathbed there is no way the Mac Pro is sticking around!
/s
You'll see! With Final Cut Pro on it's deathbed there is no way the Mac Pro is sticking around!
/s
KnightWRX
Apr 22, 10:08 AM
Well I don't think anyone actually USED the Xserve in datacenters anyway... Why would YOU? Seriously you don't need a boutique operating system on a server that's on 24/7/365 serving html/php/mysql with the only downtime is an occasional reboot for software updates.
The people who used Xserves had a few of them at most and could not even justify racking them. Most Xserves ended up on desks or maybe thrown next to a bunch of PC servers in a companies IT department for the "crazy Mac guys" in advertising/production. Really if you look at the Xserve in general you see the only real penetration was in the TV Station/Video Editing/Movie/Education/Advertising fields.. Not "Data Centers"
So a 3u Mac Pro will work just fine in the TV Station/Video Editing/Movie/Education/Advertising "Server Rooms" where they can fill up a rack with their 10, 3u servers and do what they need to.
I don't think your post is quite accurate. For large deployments of Mac clients, the Xserve was a wonderful integrated management solution and it fit in the data center along with all the other servers uses for other purposes. No one really wants homogeneous environnements in a data center and Xserve served as diversity, filling their niche well.
Use them to serve HTML/PHP/MySQL ? A waste of an Xserve. Use them for SUS, netboot, Opendirectory ? Wonderful. Also, many of those TV Station/Video Editing/Movie/Education/Advertising fields have data centers in case you didn't know. It's not like everyone operates out of a closet.
Heck, a few lifetimes ago when I worked small businesses, we were selling racks and properly wiring and racking systems for businesses with 50 employees and 5 servers. We were adding in UPSes and redundancy. I built a site-to-site VPN between our own surveillance network and everyone of our customer's networks to monitor services remotely using a Cisco based solution. Yes, about 1k$ worth of networking equipment for small business that did nothing else than check that their filesystems weren't full or that the database server didn't go down. And they paid monthly fees on that of that for the service.
Size of a business means nothing, it's the value of the data that a business manages that dictates their server needs. If a company has 5 employees but their data is worth over 10 million $, they aren't going to host it on a 1k$ PC thrown in a corner with a failing fan on the CPU. They are going to invest in a proper solution.
You have to have worked in IT to understand the implications here. This is not a Xserve replacement and if Apple goes through with a "rackable" Mac Pro, it's not going to be billed as an Xserve replacement nor are the buyers that bought Xserves going to be using that. It's not like you couldn't just use OS X Server on Mac Pros before Apple introduced the joke of the "Mac Pro Server". The thing already existed.
The people who used Xserves had a few of them at most and could not even justify racking them. Most Xserves ended up on desks or maybe thrown next to a bunch of PC servers in a companies IT department for the "crazy Mac guys" in advertising/production. Really if you look at the Xserve in general you see the only real penetration was in the TV Station/Video Editing/Movie/Education/Advertising fields.. Not "Data Centers"
So a 3u Mac Pro will work just fine in the TV Station/Video Editing/Movie/Education/Advertising "Server Rooms" where they can fill up a rack with their 10, 3u servers and do what they need to.
I don't think your post is quite accurate. For large deployments of Mac clients, the Xserve was a wonderful integrated management solution and it fit in the data center along with all the other servers uses for other purposes. No one really wants homogeneous environnements in a data center and Xserve served as diversity, filling their niche well.
Use them to serve HTML/PHP/MySQL ? A waste of an Xserve. Use them for SUS, netboot, Opendirectory ? Wonderful. Also, many of those TV Station/Video Editing/Movie/Education/Advertising fields have data centers in case you didn't know. It's not like everyone operates out of a closet.
Heck, a few lifetimes ago when I worked small businesses, we were selling racks and properly wiring and racking systems for businesses with 50 employees and 5 servers. We were adding in UPSes and redundancy. I built a site-to-site VPN between our own surveillance network and everyone of our customer's networks to monitor services remotely using a Cisco based solution. Yes, about 1k$ worth of networking equipment for small business that did nothing else than check that their filesystems weren't full or that the database server didn't go down. And they paid monthly fees on that of that for the service.
Size of a business means nothing, it's the value of the data that a business manages that dictates their server needs. If a company has 5 employees but their data is worth over 10 million $, they aren't going to host it on a 1k$ PC thrown in a corner with a failing fan on the CPU. They are going to invest in a proper solution.
You have to have worked in IT to understand the implications here. This is not a Xserve replacement and if Apple goes through with a "rackable" Mac Pro, it's not going to be billed as an Xserve replacement nor are the buyers that bought Xserves going to be using that. It's not like you couldn't just use OS X Server on Mac Pros before Apple introduced the joke of the "Mac Pro Server". The thing already existed.
Cue
Sep 11, 08:42 AM
It's funny to see that people have completely forgotten about the Apple Expo in Paris, also tomorrow :D.
To me it is kinda strange that the expo starts 7 hours prior to the media event. Are they going to keep those black curtains (assuming there are some) during the complete 1st day of the event?
Are there any guarded stands whatsoever in the expo? Is anyone going there tomorrow to report? :)
To me it is kinda strange that the expo starts 7 hours prior to the media event. Are they going to keep those black curtains (assuming there are some) during the complete 1st day of the event?
Are there any guarded stands whatsoever in the expo? Is anyone going there tomorrow to report? :)
SirHaakon
Mar 31, 07:00 PM
Only for a year. Fill up that 20 Gigs and a year later you can either empty it down to the free 5, or pony up.
This thing will be sued to hell and back before the year is up, so it won't make a difference. :)
This thing will be sued to hell and back before the year is up, so it won't make a difference. :)
milo
Sep 11, 01:30 PM
No its not. Fast, but not as fast.
I can't find it now, but one of the mac websites did iPod transfer speed benchmarks on USB2 vs firewire, and the difference was negligible. I know the spec is different, but in real world tests they were virtually identical.
I can't find it now, but one of the mac websites did iPod transfer speed benchmarks on USB2 vs firewire, and the difference was negligible. I know the spec is different, but in real world tests they were virtually identical.
ChickenSwartz
Aug 4, 01:18 PM
So I am planning on buying a MBP a soon or soon after they upgrade to Merom (depending on my $$ situation). BUt, I might be convinced to wait until Leopard is installed on the machines to buy.
Question:
How much will it cost to upgrade? I know that the current version of OSX is $100+ in the Apple store. Is that an upgrade, or for people still running 9? Will the upgrade be that much?
Thanks
Question:
How much will it cost to upgrade? I know that the current version of OSX is $100+ in the Apple store. Is that an upgrade, or for people still running 9? Will the upgrade be that much?
Thanks

-aggie-
May 4, 09:38 AM
Alright, i am getting bored of listening to my beard growing, so i'll go ahead:
R1T1: Loras group explores the start room.
with raven's latest explanation of the trap rule, there is no significant difference between explore-move and move-explore, and i decided to be conservative in case the jokesters upstairs put a trap right away at the start.
at level one we are very weak and any encounter with a trap or lowest-level monster means certain death for at least one of us. we need to uplevel asap.
Splain please.
R1T1: Loras group explores the start room.
with raven's latest explanation of the trap rule, there is no significant difference between explore-move and move-explore, and i decided to be conservative in case the jokesters upstairs put a trap right away at the start.
at level one we are very weak and any encounter with a trap or lowest-level monster means certain death for at least one of us. we need to uplevel asap.
Splain please.
Glideslope
Mar 28, 10:57 AM
If there is no new iphone in June/July I am getting a Thunderbolt.
Buy it now. :apple:
Buy it now. :apple:
Wolfpup
Nov 5, 11:48 AM
I don't know anything about this product in particular (other than the reassurance from two people so far that it's well made :) ) but well made anti-malware software has essentially no performance impact at all. I.e. with Microsoft's security essentials there's an average of zero percent CPU use, and ditto for Avira or the like.
On the other hand, some of these giant bloated programs are pretty scary LOL!
On the other hand, some of these giant bloated programs are pretty scary LOL!
wclyffe
Jan 28, 07:28 PM
I purchased the TOMTOM app early on and paid $99 for it. One week later, I found it posted in the App Store for $49.99 and today, a couple of weeks after that, the price is $59.99. I have searched the App Store site, iTunes Store AND the Apple site and do not understand how to find a Customer Service Link to ask about a refund for the difference in price. Does anyone know how to reach Customer Service for the APP Store? Thanks in advance...
Yeah, they don't make it easy.
Go to the iTunes store and click on your account name in the upper right, put in your password and log into your account (View Account). Then half way down the page is a button called Purchase History, hit that and find the TomTom app you bought. You'll see a little arrow to the left of it. Click that and report a problem to start the process.
Yeah, they don't make it easy.
Go to the iTunes store and click on your account name in the upper right, put in your password and log into your account (View Account). Then half way down the page is a button called Purchase History, hit that and find the TomTom app you bought. You'll see a little arrow to the left of it. Click that and report a problem to start the process.
progx
Mar 30, 06:16 AM
Hmm. This seems like a pass for me. I'll wait for Apple's offerings through MobileMe this year because I'll have the iPhone 4 or 5 on Verizon by the end of the year.
Then I can punt my piece of s*** Droid X to the curb. No more battery pulls and video that'll play NATIVELY ON THE DEVICE THAT RECORDED IT! Yes, the Droid X can't play it's own video back. Motorola's Droids Don't Do JACK.
Amazon's new service will be good, but just like its video streaming options, just a little too expensive. I'm sure it will be a great service for the Droids and the price will eventually go down. Maybe they should look into a data farm.
Then I can punt my piece of s*** Droid X to the curb. No more battery pulls and video that'll play NATIVELY ON THE DEVICE THAT RECORDED IT! Yes, the Droid X can't play it's own video back. Motorola's Droids Don't Do JACK.
Amazon's new service will be good, but just like its video streaming options, just a little too expensive. I'm sure it will be a great service for the Droids and the price will eventually go down. Maybe they should look into a data farm.

srathi
Apr 26, 02:15 PM
inevitable as android devices are available everywhere and in every price segment. remember, half of all American workers earn $505 or less per week.
This argument is getting old now. As usual, iFans are in denial.
This argument is getting old now. As usual, iFans are in denial.
GQB
Mar 28, 10:40 AM
My 2-year contract finishes next month and my 3G is almost inoperative. No way I want to buy into the antenna problems with a 4. Glad you're happy though.
You can always pick up a used 4 to hold you over.
And the 'antenna problems' were a media and hater frenzy, nothing more.
Personally, I'm glad that I won't have to churn on upgrading for a few months more. Fact is that my 4 does everything I need short of NFR, and I don't really NEED that.
As a user, I'd be glad to use my 4 for another year.
As an AAPL holder, I'd like to see a 5 come out simply to kick the Verizon sales in the butt.
You can always pick up a used 4 to hold you over.
And the 'antenna problems' were a media and hater frenzy, nothing more.
Personally, I'm glad that I won't have to churn on upgrading for a few months more. Fact is that my 4 does everything I need short of NFR, and I don't really NEED that.
As a user, I'd be glad to use my 4 for another year.
As an AAPL holder, I'd like to see a 5 come out simply to kick the Verizon sales in the butt.
iZac
Apr 20, 05:57 AM
Apple potentially ships new iPhone 2-3 months outside of loose, self imposed schedule.
Users worlds fall apart, swear bitter revenge, Apple goes Bankrupt.
...Makes sense.
Users worlds fall apart, swear bitter revenge, Apple goes Bankrupt.
...Makes sense.
vvswarup
Apr 7, 04:37 PM
9/10 Apple fans think Apple can do no wrong. Regardless of their shortcomings, most seem blind and too eager to hand their money over the Apple without regard to the true value of Apple's offerings. The other side of that is, if you buy into the walled garden, you have to generally suck it up. Apple has always done it there way, and will probably continue to do it their way regardless if it benefits the consumer. I've found most of the time what they do only benefits their coffers. They could easily make changes up front, but feel it's best for their pockets if they stagger features over years at a time knowing people will buy each and ever "upgrade" Apple delivers.
Related to the subject line, if it were any other company, like Microsoft, Dell or whomever pre-ordering and buying whole supply lines knowing their competitors would be strangled, there would be an antitrust/monopoly case launched immediately. The simple fact that Apple is a media and government darling precludes them from any serious thought by officials that would choose to stop this monopoly from continuing. Just as above, I know 9/10 fans here will blast me for stating the honest truth, but.. true story bro. Apple can do no wrong and their fan base is living proof of that.
I own Apple products and I like them. That may make me a fan, but I will hold my head up high and tell you that in looking at Apple's business practices, I don't give Apple a free pass. There is nothing wrong with what Apple did. If Microsoft or Dell had done the same thing, i.e. buying up whole supply lines, I would say the same thing: It's business.
Apple built up a massive cash reserve. In the past, Apple faced issues with supply constraints. Wanting to avoid supply constraints, Apple decided to use its massive cash reserves to pre-order as much supply as possible to ensure availability for launch. The touchscreen manufacturers can only produce so much supply of touchscreens. It's not like those touchscreen manufacturers signed an exclusivity deal with Apple saying that they would make touchscreens for Apple alone. Apple simply bought most of the supply that those manufacturers would be able to produce. How is that anti-competitive?
As for Apple being a "media and government darling," I call complete BS on that. In case you haven't heard, Apple's stock is a constant target for market manipulation. Every business decision that Apple makes is called underhanded, never mind that it's a perfectly legitimate business move and everybody else does it or would do it too. Also, Apple has been investigated quite a few times by the government. Taking these two things together, it's safe to say that Apple is no media or government darling. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Related to the subject line, if it were any other company, like Microsoft, Dell or whomever pre-ordering and buying whole supply lines knowing their competitors would be strangled, there would be an antitrust/monopoly case launched immediately. The simple fact that Apple is a media and government darling precludes them from any serious thought by officials that would choose to stop this monopoly from continuing. Just as above, I know 9/10 fans here will blast me for stating the honest truth, but.. true story bro. Apple can do no wrong and their fan base is living proof of that.
I own Apple products and I like them. That may make me a fan, but I will hold my head up high and tell you that in looking at Apple's business practices, I don't give Apple a free pass. There is nothing wrong with what Apple did. If Microsoft or Dell had done the same thing, i.e. buying up whole supply lines, I would say the same thing: It's business.
Apple built up a massive cash reserve. In the past, Apple faced issues with supply constraints. Wanting to avoid supply constraints, Apple decided to use its massive cash reserves to pre-order as much supply as possible to ensure availability for launch. The touchscreen manufacturers can only produce so much supply of touchscreens. It's not like those touchscreen manufacturers signed an exclusivity deal with Apple saying that they would make touchscreens for Apple alone. Apple simply bought most of the supply that those manufacturers would be able to produce. How is that anti-competitive?
As for Apple being a "media and government darling," I call complete BS on that. In case you haven't heard, Apple's stock is a constant target for market manipulation. Every business decision that Apple makes is called underhanded, never mind that it's a perfectly legitimate business move and everybody else does it or would do it too. Also, Apple has been investigated quite a few times by the government. Taking these two things together, it's safe to say that Apple is no media or government darling. Quite the opposite, in fact.
rorschach
Mar 30, 08:26 PM
Safari
--Tab bar hidden in Full Screen mode
--"Send Do Not Track HTTP Header" option in Debug menu
Preview
--Loupe Tool (like Aperture)
Spotlight
--Options to "Search Web" and "Search Wikipedia" in menu
--Slightly smaller icons in menu
Font Book
--"Find fonts anywhere on this computer" option
--Tab bar hidden in Full Screen mode
--"Send Do Not Track HTTP Header" option in Debug menu
Preview
--Loupe Tool (like Aperture)
Spotlight
--Options to "Search Web" and "Search Wikipedia" in menu
--Slightly smaller icons in menu
Font Book
--"Find fonts anywhere on this computer" option
DeathChill
Apr 23, 06:36 PM
Piggie, you're my favourite!
You were quite concerned about how far behind Tegra 2 the iPad 2's specs were going to be and then when the tables turn in Apple's favour for specs it's, "but why, who needs this?"
Are you trying to say that having a higher resolution wouldn't be beneficial? Especially in light of your comment about the iPad's resolution.
You were quite concerned about how far behind Tegra 2 the iPad 2's specs were going to be and then when the tables turn in Apple's favour for specs it's, "but why, who needs this?"
Are you trying to say that having a higher resolution wouldn't be beneficial? Especially in light of your comment about the iPad's resolution.
ghostlines
Apr 25, 09:35 AM
Nothing really to see here except that someone made a nice app that can parse this file and list locations on a map where you've been. And if you encrypt you're iphone backups(good practice) the consolidate.db can't be even read by the app or Apple unless they bruteforce it.
All someone has to do is instead check system logs to see if unencrypted consolidate.db files were being uploaded to Apple or used in any shady ways.
All someone has to do is instead check system logs to see if unencrypted consolidate.db files were being uploaded to Apple or used in any shady ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment