Saturday, June 5, 2010

Featherweight Challenge: Update on the Border

I have not posted anything since last weekend. The reason is I couldn't take any good photos because it's dark by the time I get home from work. Today is not the best day either, but if I don't take it today it will be another week before I see sunlight again. Sad but true! Now for the update:

Update on Featherweight challenge that Ria, Terry and I are working on rail fence quilt. This quilt was inspired by Kathie and her help. If you haven't seen my previous posts about this you can do a search under Featherweight Challenge on my blog. Ria and I started this challenge in February this year. Both Ria and I own a Singer Featherweight sewing machine. Later on Terry joined in and I believe that Terry is now owns a FWS too. I'm sure she will show us her FWS soon. 
I completed the top before we went to Japan, and in Japan I found the border fabric for it. It's  indigo hand-dyed fabric. It's a perfect piece of fabric for the quilt even though I didn't take the top with me. I hope that you can see the weaving effect of the pattern in the photo. I can't say enough how happy I am with it. Kathie had a big part in helping me to get the weaving effect. Can anyone see why? 
It's bigger than I expected it to be. It's 76" x 76" with the border. It fits the top of our King size bed. I don't think it will fit on any wall in our house. It will have to be a comfort quilt or table topper. Now when it comes to quilting I would like to get your suggestions on how you would quilt it please. 
A perfect corner. I hope you can see leaping deer print on the border. It is not surprising that I'm into weaving stuff. I must have inherited this from my mother who was a basket weaver. She used to weave household utilities such as storage baskets, sieves, trays and rice containers. I have taken up basket weaving as well and at the moment I'm taking an online workshop 'cloth to cloth' with Jude Hill on fabric weaving. I'm busy working on them. I promise to show you some of them soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment