
SilvorX
Sep 26, 10:23 PM
Does anyone know if it is still possible to start a new wireless plan without a contract? I mean, the whole idea of the contract is to cover the phone subsidy, but if I don't want a new phone do I still have to get one?
I've been considering switching to Cingular since I don't get any signal at all in my workplace with T-Mobile (the higher GSM frequency has trouble going through thick walls) but Cingular works great.
I haven't been on a contract in about 5 years now, and I don't want to get back on one again, which is part of the reason I've stayed with T-Mobile.
There may be some plans out there that you can start up without a contract, but the problem with carriers now days is that they're slowly phasing out 0-month term contracts, they still exist, but it can be hard to find, when I was working with an evil US based CDMA carrier a year ago, there was only one plan offered that you could purchase without a contract. You can always call up Cingular customer service and ask them yourselves (for comparisons) if you want, that's what they are there for (but watch out, they'll be greedy and try to sign you up then and there, to make their commission).
Here in Canada, with the "only" GSM carrier we have (you Canucks know it's only 1 in reality!) only allows the use of plans with a contract, usually in increments of 2 or 3 years (even 1 year contracts are starting to get hard to get). Not fun.
I've been considering switching to Cingular since I don't get any signal at all in my workplace with T-Mobile (the higher GSM frequency has trouble going through thick walls) but Cingular works great.
I haven't been on a contract in about 5 years now, and I don't want to get back on one again, which is part of the reason I've stayed with T-Mobile.
There may be some plans out there that you can start up without a contract, but the problem with carriers now days is that they're slowly phasing out 0-month term contracts, they still exist, but it can be hard to find, when I was working with an evil US based CDMA carrier a year ago, there was only one plan offered that you could purchase without a contract. You can always call up Cingular customer service and ask them yourselves (for comparisons) if you want, that's what they are there for (but watch out, they'll be greedy and try to sign you up then and there, to make their commission).
Here in Canada, with the "only" GSM carrier we have (you Canucks know it's only 1 in reality!) only allows the use of plans with a contract, usually in increments of 2 or 3 years (even 1 year contracts are starting to get hard to get). Not fun.

localoid
Apr 22, 02:19 AM
I really hope this happens but I have a feeling that it will be hobbled in some way. If it runs from an iTunes master copy of songs then it might preclude people uploading music that has been ripped from CDs or bought somewhere else (like Amazon).
Actually, Amazon gives you 5 gigs of space on your cloud drive for your own MP3s. When/if you buy songs from them, you get additional space for the songs you've purchased.
Actually, Amazon gives you 5 gigs of space on your cloud drive for your own MP3s. When/if you buy songs from them, you get additional space for the songs you've purchased.

torbjoern
Apr 25, 02:50 AM
conditional love. AKA the love of a spoiled brat.
And it's worth... ****-all...
Am I the only one that thinks this kid is completely FOS? He's that guy who has to torment everyone and lie about how smart and rich he is to make himself feel better about his shallow, lonely, crappy life. Typical internet tough guy.
Dude, good luck at "Harvard". You wouldn't last 10 minutes.
You certainly ain't the only one. Obvious troll is obvious.
And it's worth... ****-all...
Am I the only one that thinks this kid is completely FOS? He's that guy who has to torment everyone and lie about how smart and rich he is to make himself feel better about his shallow, lonely, crappy life. Typical internet tough guy.
Dude, good luck at "Harvard". You wouldn't last 10 minutes.
You certainly ain't the only one. Obvious troll is obvious.

Warbrain
Apr 20, 10:13 AM
Section 4b of the software license agreement explains it all:
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone.pdf
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone.pdf

meb91
Mar 22, 03:05 PM
Please bring back the 24"! 21" - too small. 27" - too big. 24" - just right!
I'm sticking with my 24" Core2Duo until a new 24" model is released.
I use a 24" Dell monitor alongside my 27" iMac, and physically the 27" is hardly any bigger. The main difference is that the 27" is much higher resolution, but that's a useful for fitting more on the screen.
I'm sticking with my 24" Core2Duo until a new 24" model is released.
I use a 24" Dell monitor alongside my 27" iMac, and physically the 27" is hardly any bigger. The main difference is that the 27" is much higher resolution, but that's a useful for fitting more on the screen.

logandzwon
Mar 30, 01:29 PM
So answer my 2nd question.
Why not just have call is the Mobile App Store? or WindApp store?
Why does MS need to copy Apple and just call it App Store?
Hey, wait, I'm on the side Apple should keep the TM...
But, to directly answer your questions, I think Apple answered it awhile ago;http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/1895583251_f102d4324d.jpg
Why not just have call is the Mobile App Store? or WindApp store?
Why does MS need to copy Apple and just call it App Store?
Hey, wait, I'm on the side Apple should keep the TM...
But, to directly answer your questions, I think Apple answered it awhile ago;http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/1895583251_f102d4324d.jpg

Rodimus Prime
Apr 25, 12:33 AM
You know what I hate more? effing speeders:rolleyes:
Scratch that....effing speeders who don't even have a years worth of driving under their belt and think it's safe to go 20 over
Man I wish the driving age was upped to at least 18
It's people like you who piss me off when I am riding my motorcycle as you guys are so effing unpredictable it is dangerous for everyone around you. Never mind my bike can easily outgun pretty much any car out there trying to go fast...
and you say you want to blow up cars obeying the law...unbelievable
/rant
I am with you. When I read post like this it proves to me that 16 is to young at times. I know the stupid crap I pulled when I was 16 in a car and I got some lucky breaks and still had a 400 buck repair bill for my car and 400 bucks was be getting damn luck that I did not do more damage.
I also remember thinking I was a great driver as well. Looking back damn was I wrong. I was a very crappy driver.
His post has multiple things that shows that he is a bad driver and beyond the legal issues of doing 20 over he clearly does not know how to speed. The lady should never of had to make a quick maneuver to get out of his way.
As for motorcycle I learned long ago to give them a wide birth because I know they have enough jack ass to tail gate them. I will rather give them plenty of room allowing myself extra reaction time as I know they can stop faster than I can and they do not have a metal body protecting them like I do.
Scratch that....effing speeders who don't even have a years worth of driving under their belt and think it's safe to go 20 over
Man I wish the driving age was upped to at least 18
It's people like you who piss me off when I am riding my motorcycle as you guys are so effing unpredictable it is dangerous for everyone around you. Never mind my bike can easily outgun pretty much any car out there trying to go fast...
and you say you want to blow up cars obeying the law...unbelievable
/rant
I am with you. When I read post like this it proves to me that 16 is to young at times. I know the stupid crap I pulled when I was 16 in a car and I got some lucky breaks and still had a 400 buck repair bill for my car and 400 bucks was be getting damn luck that I did not do more damage.
I also remember thinking I was a great driver as well. Looking back damn was I wrong. I was a very crappy driver.
His post has multiple things that shows that he is a bad driver and beyond the legal issues of doing 20 over he clearly does not know how to speed. The lady should never of had to make a quick maneuver to get out of his way.
As for motorcycle I learned long ago to give them a wide birth because I know they have enough jack ass to tail gate them. I will rather give them plenty of room allowing myself extra reaction time as I know they can stop faster than I can and they do not have a metal body protecting them like I do.

ezekielrage_99
Sep 9, 10:19 AM
Faster processor, double the RAM, cheaper AND 21-37% better game performance:
New 17" C2D is 37% faster in UT 2004 than old 17" CD.
New 17" C2D is 21% faster in UT 2004 than old 20" CD.
New 20" C2D is 37.5% faster in UT 2004 than old 20" CD.
and I don't even play UT 2004 ;).
I think more than anything the facts that they are cheaper and faster the previous models are more impressive than anything else and with tempt a lot of people to join the "dark side" of Mac.
New 17" C2D is 37% faster in UT 2004 than old 17" CD.
New 17" C2D is 21% faster in UT 2004 than old 20" CD.
New 20" C2D is 37.5% faster in UT 2004 than old 20" CD.
and I don't even play UT 2004 ;).
I think more than anything the facts that they are cheaper and faster the previous models are more impressive than anything else and with tempt a lot of people to join the "dark side" of Mac.

Chupa Chupa
Sep 4, 07:55 PM
Insiders can only presume the device will take up the form of a video-enabled version of Apple's existing AirPort Express wireless base station, which lets users stream their iTunes music tracks from their computers to their home stereo receivers. It also acts as a wireless 802.11 router and printing hub.
Hmm...I think Belkin calls this 802.11n. This isn't new. Gimme a break. People are really scrounging around deep now.
Look Apple has been keeping secrets it wants to be secret very secret for over a year now. The rumor sites have been so off this year, except for the obvious, that they'd need a power plant to get them back to being on. I'm not buying any of it. I'll be sorely disapponted if all we get is a Disney movie store, a 80GB iPod, a 23" iMac, and an array of colorful nanos. Zzzzz. Put me to sleep.
The nano was the last buzzworthy product Apple has put out in a year (I'll spare you the MPB jokes). Apple is due with something cool; something to compete with PS3 dollars this Xmas.
Hmm...I think Belkin calls this 802.11n. This isn't new. Gimme a break. People are really scrounging around deep now.
Look Apple has been keeping secrets it wants to be secret very secret for over a year now. The rumor sites have been so off this year, except for the obvious, that they'd need a power plant to get them back to being on. I'm not buying any of it. I'll be sorely disapponted if all we get is a Disney movie store, a 80GB iPod, a 23" iMac, and an array of colorful nanos. Zzzzz. Put me to sleep.
The nano was the last buzzworthy product Apple has put out in a year (I'll spare you the MPB jokes). Apple is due with something cool; something to compete with PS3 dollars this Xmas.

steadysignal
Apr 22, 06:44 PM
How does streaming music to my iPhone help me, when O2 cap my Internet usage, and then charge when you use more.
very much correct. the cloud is great when you don't have a bandwidth limit.
very much correct. the cloud is great when you don't have a bandwidth limit.

tsadi
Mar 30, 12:00 PM
To those bitching a few threads back about no jobs - well, at least the lawyers and linguists get a job.

*LTD*
Apr 30, 01:12 PM
Apple's market share is growing but the fact that they supposedly (according to other posts) sell 90% of the computers that cost more than $1000 indicates that they are never going to really own the *********, lowest end of the market.
fixed.
All you need is the cream of the market. And everyone else tries to follow.
Apple's penalty for losing the market to cheap box assemblers hawking Windows:
The most profitable PC maker in the world, that is the Gold Standard of personal computing with Macs + OS X.
I don't see the problem. Seems SJ made the right choice from the very beginning by using a closed licensing model. Look at the amazing differentiation between Apple and Everyone Else. And others are trying that EXACT SAME differentiation (but without the guts to actually go all-in with it) and losing. Check out the failed Dell Adamo line. Dell *tried* to Apple-ify the experience. Except for the fact that they had nothing to do with the very company that actually makes the OS it's supposed to run, other than a licensing agreement. It doesn't work that way.
Now HP is trying it with WebOS. But Im not sure if they know how "to say 'no' to a thousand things and say 'yes' to that one special idea." It's all based on philosophy and attitude when you envision how everyday folks are supposed to interact with tech. Most tech companies out there don't have a grasp on it.
fixed.
All you need is the cream of the market. And everyone else tries to follow.
Apple's penalty for losing the market to cheap box assemblers hawking Windows:
The most profitable PC maker in the world, that is the Gold Standard of personal computing with Macs + OS X.
I don't see the problem. Seems SJ made the right choice from the very beginning by using a closed licensing model. Look at the amazing differentiation between Apple and Everyone Else. And others are trying that EXACT SAME differentiation (but without the guts to actually go all-in with it) and losing. Check out the failed Dell Adamo line. Dell *tried* to Apple-ify the experience. Except for the fact that they had nothing to do with the very company that actually makes the OS it's supposed to run, other than a licensing agreement. It doesn't work that way.
Now HP is trying it with WebOS. But Im not sure if they know how "to say 'no' to a thousand things and say 'yes' to that one special idea." It's all based on philosophy and attitude when you envision how everyday folks are supposed to interact with tech. Most tech companies out there don't have a grasp on it.

HecubusPro
Sep 15, 08:37 PM
Apple being a California based company certainly must know about the new law just signed that prohibits hand held cell phone use while driving a car. (Reasonable law if you ask me) with this new law we can assume the phone will have some kind of "hands free" interface. It would be very hard to sell a high end phone that can't be used in a car in California. Apple must know this, the law has been in the works for some time.
As a Los Angeles resident, this makes me very happy. I've been following it, and I'm happy Arnold gave it his go-ahead.
I'm sure Apple will also be selling loads of peripherals including hands free headsets. I have a bluetooth headset and I love it. Anyone who use's cell phones these days and doesn't use a cell phone is an idiot, IMO.
Want to hear me really rant about this subject, go here...
EDIT: I took the URL out becuase the link had a naughty word in it (and I don't want to get in trouble :) ). If you're interested in seeing my rant, feel free to PM me.
As a Los Angeles resident, this makes me very happy. I've been following it, and I'm happy Arnold gave it his go-ahead.
I'm sure Apple will also be selling loads of peripherals including hands free headsets. I have a bluetooth headset and I love it. Anyone who use's cell phones these days and doesn't use a cell phone is an idiot, IMO.
Want to hear me really rant about this subject, go here...
EDIT: I took the URL out becuase the link had a naughty word in it (and I don't want to get in trouble :) ). If you're interested in seeing my rant, feel free to PM me.

johnnyrb
Mar 23, 04:47 PM
Only a member of congress can imagine someone who is drunk logging in to Trapster to determine where the cops are located or notify others users where the cops are located.
MADD needs to come out with an application that makes it easier for citizens to notify the cops of reckless and drunk drivers instead of having congress pull these apps!!!
MADD needs to come out with an application that makes it easier for citizens to notify the cops of reckless and drunk drivers instead of having congress pull these apps!!!

nehunte
Nov 14, 07:45 AM
I think this thread has moved too far into the law and needs to move back into the 'common sense' arena. Rogue was using images supplied to him by MAC OSX. Strangely enough, Apple denied the app. Whatever, that's fine. BUT IT TOOK THREE AND A HALF MONTHS TO SORT THE SITUATION OUT!!!!
That's the problem. It takes forever to straighten out crap with them. This is why the Facebook developer is done with Apple. He would see a bug in his app, and it would take Apple two weeks or more to approve the bug fix while everybody is experiencing the bug problems. It's completely asinine. Apple clearly had no idea how popular the App Store was going to be and still doesn't have the proper resources to handle it. Sure, the App Store has over 100,000 apps. How many of those are quality apps? Hard to tell, but I can tell you it's filled with a bunch of worthless apps that shouldn't be on there in the first place.
With the recent news around the App Store, I'm afraid you're going to start seeing a lot less quality apps and far more stupid worthless apps hit since all the good developers are leaving. It just blows my mind that Apple is having this kind of mentality while Android is starting to pick up steam. I guess I'll just have to see where this situation stands when my contract runs up. Hopefully Apple pulls their head our of their rear by then.
That's the problem. It takes forever to straighten out crap with them. This is why the Facebook developer is done with Apple. He would see a bug in his app, and it would take Apple two weeks or more to approve the bug fix while everybody is experiencing the bug problems. It's completely asinine. Apple clearly had no idea how popular the App Store was going to be and still doesn't have the proper resources to handle it. Sure, the App Store has over 100,000 apps. How many of those are quality apps? Hard to tell, but I can tell you it's filled with a bunch of worthless apps that shouldn't be on there in the first place.
With the recent news around the App Store, I'm afraid you're going to start seeing a lot less quality apps and far more stupid worthless apps hit since all the good developers are leaving. It just blows my mind that Apple is having this kind of mentality while Android is starting to pick up steam. I guess I'll just have to see where this situation stands when my contract runs up. Hopefully Apple pulls their head our of their rear by then.

kenypowa
Apr 19, 07:45 AM
Samsung running Android look very very similar to Apple's, to the point where it causes confusion in the marketplace for consumers. I've seen several people mistake one of these things for an iPhone because they look that similar. It's a combination of Google's Android and Samsung's hardware.
This confusion is no accident, that was the intent all along. There is no reason why they could not create their own look and feel... change it up enough so it's not an obvious copy. Other handset makers have been able to do that.
Anyone who is stupid enough to confuse a Galaxy S with an iPhone shouldn't own a smartphone anyway. All they have to do is turn over the freaking phone and notice that big Samsung logo to know it's not an Apple product.
This confusion is no accident, that was the intent all along. There is no reason why they could not create their own look and feel... change it up enough so it's not an obvious copy. Other handset makers have been able to do that.
Anyone who is stupid enough to confuse a Galaxy S with an iPhone shouldn't own a smartphone anyway. All they have to do is turn over the freaking phone and notice that big Samsung logo to know it's not an Apple product.

linux2mac
May 3, 11:04 AM
I want dual out screen on the MBP =(:(
Would be great to have dual out on 11" MBA too. This way I could have dual displays at my remote office.
Would be great to have dual out on 11" MBA too. This way I could have dual displays at my remote office.

Moyank24
Apr 25, 03:12 AM
i thought this from my first post, but his join date is 08, and he's a regular. that is what has me thinking that what he is saying is really how he thinks/acts.
I don't doubt that he goes around cutting people off at dangerous speeds. That screams of trying to make himself feel like less of a loser.
It's all the other crap that I think is BS...the money, connected family members, SAT score, all of the volunteering, Harvard. Complete lies. The kid is sitting in his basement listening to death metal (no offense to those who like that kind of music) as we speak and cursing all of the girls in his class because nobody would be caught dead at Prom with him.
I don't doubt that he goes around cutting people off at dangerous speeds. That screams of trying to make himself feel like less of a loser.
It's all the other crap that I think is BS...the money, connected family members, SAT score, all of the volunteering, Harvard. Complete lies. The kid is sitting in his basement listening to death metal (no offense to those who like that kind of music) as we speak and cursing all of the girls in his class because nobody would be caught dead at Prom with him.

MacLawyer
Apr 4, 12:14 PM
Mac...a computer to die for.
Digitalclips
Apr 30, 01:59 PM
Curious that everyone is clamoring for a thunderbolt-enabled machine, but there isn't a single thunderbolt drive available on the market.
I guess some people just need to feel like they have new stuff even if it's totally pointless.
Pointless? If you are about to upgrade soon anyway ... and we all know TB peripherals are coming soon ... why on earth would you want an iMac without TB? Even if you had to wait a few months for an external drive with TB surely that's far better than buying an iMac a few weeks too early without it and not having the ability till your next update which may be 3 years away. Plus remember, a lot of people use these machines for their digital business and TB will be an awesome, must have for HD Video etc. over the next few years.
I guess some people just need to feel like they have new stuff even if it's totally pointless.
Pointless? If you are about to upgrade soon anyway ... and we all know TB peripherals are coming soon ... why on earth would you want an iMac without TB? Even if you had to wait a few months for an external drive with TB surely that's far better than buying an iMac a few weeks too early without it and not having the ability till your next update which may be 3 years away. Plus remember, a lot of people use these machines for their digital business and TB will be an awesome, must have for HD Video etc. over the next few years.
Tom Sawyer
Apr 30, 07:54 PM
Then I wouldn't plan on ever going back to an iMac.
Definitely no plan to. Apple (SJ) is far to enamored with glossy screens to give anyone options on the large displays/iMacs. I'm still surprised they actually brought the matte option back to MBP's.
Definitely no plan to. Apple (SJ) is far to enamored with glossy screens to give anyone options on the large displays/iMacs. I'm still surprised they actually brought the matte option back to MBP's.
toddybody
Mar 30, 11:50 AM
FAIL Apple. First of all, "app" is generic. Secondly, as iOS apps need to be bought and synced through iTunes...youre not going to lose sales to an Amazon/Microsoft/Google "app store". Grow up.
MattyMac
Oct 12, 05:07 PM
100% confirmed.
via Chicago Tribune:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5016/25865863uz2.jpg
Nice!
via Chicago Tribune:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5016/25865863uz2.jpg
Nice!
generik
Aug 29, 07:37 AM
Lol.
Store is still up, i don't think today is the day.
What time is it in the Americas now?
Store is still up, i don't think today is the day.
What time is it in the Americas now?

No comments:
Post a Comment